Two late goals from the Blades earned Nigel Adkins’ men a second victory of their pre-season campaign over Cheltenham Town on Tuesday night.

Again playing two different XI’s, choosing to switch on 60 minutes rather than 45 minutes this time around – Adkins took the opportunity to look at a number of his squad, including new signing Martyn Woolford.

Che Adams looked to be starting in a more central role than his previous appearance on the left wing and it was Adams who would open the scoring. Dom Calvert-Lewin threaded a beautiful ball from the left hand side for Adams to calmly place past the keeper at his front post.

Che Adams goal

DeGirolamo, Reed and Scougall all had unsuccessful efforts before Adams again was involved, dragging just wide of the far post after getting on the end of a DeGirolamo flick.

The hosts had their fair share of the ball and after heading just over the bar from a corner, won a free kick in a dangerous looking position. Thankfully, the man charging out of the Blades wall blocked the effort as the hosts looked to work a shot.

On the lookout for an equaliser, Cheltenham Town striker Morgan-Smith dived, looking for a penalty, the referee rightly telling the Robin’s man to get up rather than blowing his whistle.

Calvert-Lewin almost doubled the lead shortly after, meeting a James Wallace free kick at the back post, but sadly not quite able to turn the ball goal wards.

Morgan-Smith managed to make amends for his early transgression, picking up the ball in plenty of space as a McGahey clearance was knocked into his path by Munns. The striker took full advantage of the golden opportunity, placing past the helpless Long from close range just before the half time whistle.

Morgan-Smith goal

Adkins set out the same side for the second half, choosing this time around to give his starting eleven a little more time on the field.

First DeGirolamo had a go, turning and shooting from within the area, seeing his shot fly well over the crossbar. Dimaio also had an effort from distance, but there was no change to the scoreline before the change in personnel.

The familiar eleven changes took place, with a more experienced side taking to the field for the final thirty minutes.

Michael Higdon nodded a deep Campbell-Ryce cross goalwards, but the Cheltenham keeper was equal to it.

The chances were drying up a little, the hosts headed away a Baxter corner before Michael Higdon picked up a rare pre-season yellow card for a robust challenge on his opponent.

Michael Higdon

With time running out, the 236 travelling Blades were to be treated to an eventful finish.

A second Blades corner in immediate succession was cleared as far as the edge of the box, where Michael Higdon fired home on the volley. The strikers effort finding the bottom corner past the outstretched hand of the frustrated goalkeeper.

With the Blades back in front, the fourth official held up his board to announce two minutes of added time, which was enough to allow the Blades the opportunity to score again.

A Jamie Murphy ball into the box ricocheted to Jose Baxter, who took a touch before slotting home to seal the win.

Cheltenham Town: Phillips, McLennan, Storer, Downes, Barthram, Pell, Wright, Morgan-Smith, Waters, Munns, Parslow.
Subs: Kitscha, Bowen, Williams, Deaman, Dale, Kotwica, Wynter, Hall, Rowe.

Sheffield United: Long (Howard 60), Dimaio (Freeman 60), McGahey (Collins 60), K. Wallace (McEveley 60), McFadzean (Woolford 60), Scougall (Campbell-Ryce 60), J. Wallace (Basham 60), Reed (Baxter 60), Calvert-Lewin (Murphy 60), DeGirolamo (Higdon 60), Adams (McNulty 60).

1,247 (236 Blades fans)


Related Posts