2022/2023 Match Thread Wrexham v. Sheffield United - FA Cup - 29th January 2023

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

WREX
WREX
WREX

Final

Final
Final
SUFC
SUFC
SUFC
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
Wrexham_A.F.C._logo.png
vs.
sufc.gif

FA Cup Fourth Round - Sunday 29th January 2023 - 16:30 - The Racecourse Ground

Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings - https://www.s24su.com/forum/match-day/match/wrexham-afc-vs-sheffield-united.652/

Officials:

Referee: Dean Whitestone
Assistant Referee: Matthew Jones
Assistant Referee: Craig Taylor
Fourth Official: Scott Oldham

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter: https://twitter.com/s24su

Need a VPN? - https://www.s24su.com/forum/threads/vpn-usage.87094/

1671401521883.png

📺
Live TV Coverage:

SUTV Live - https://live.sufc.co.uk/

Screenshot 2023-01-28 at 10.57.14.png

Last edited:

I'm not having that you're not mentioning that Ndiaye was totally at fault for their third. Dithered and lost it up the pitch then totally left Mullin alone for the tap in.
Fair. He was faffing with too much and lost it stupidly.

Embarrassing display. They bombarded us with long throws, which we dealt with ok in the main, but they were arguably the better team in open play and should have had a blatant penalty. Lucky to get a replay. There was no midfield throughout the game. nothing defensively and little going forward.

Davies - 4 - Did better later on but need to command his area if we're defending long balls. He wasn't. Made a headless charge first half that he was lucky he made no contact. Nowhere near good enough. Nor was his Mark Howard handling.
Osborn - 4 - Chased shadows at LWB before chasing shadows in midfield.
Basham - 3 - Poor. Made a lot of bad decisions. Playing on the wrong side but no excuse
Egan - 4 - Gets an extra point for the goal. Lucky not to give a penalty away first half and struggled all game. Bogle took a booking for him late on when he lost the ball and just didn't bother running back. Not sure what was going on for their 3rd. Pulled away from his man.
Anel - 2 - Dire. Slow. Dithers. Makes the most stupid decisions. Enjoyed watching him decide to run down the wing with 10 men at 2:2. Lad isn't the brightest.
Bogle - 3 - Not easy playing with a broken nose but made a number of rash decisions. Flew in when one on one and lucky not to concede. Poor defensively all night.
McAtee - 3 - Picked up an unlucky knock early on but was anonymous throughout the first half. His sloppy backpass almost lead to a penalty. Not at the races. Still not convinced by him in the LCM role.
Norwood - 4 - Played lots of terrible long diagonals to their LWBs head. Poor choices throughout and second to the ball far too often.
Doyle - 4 - Did pretty well first half then vanished until the end. Offered nothing defensively and looks like he's running on custard a lot of the time. Struggles to last 60 minutes.
McBurnie - 4 - Got the goal but thought he offered very little otherwise playing a more withdrawn role. Difficult as they looked like two forwards who have never played together.
Jebbo - 3 - Did well first half. Looked lively and played on the shoulder of the last man. Caused them all kinds of problems. Idiotic sending off. That's him out for 3 games now. Osula back from a 3 match ban for doing similar to replace him. Brains trust.

Subs:

Lowe - 4.5 - We looked much better with him on but there were huge gaps across the midfield by then.
Sharp - 4 - Ran around, did not a lot. Managed to put the cross in leading to the second
Ndiaye - 5 - Had one superb run but all too often ran into trouble. Unlucky with a glancing header.
Coulibaly - Looked okish, if a bit slow on the ball.

Hecky - 4 - Can't be easy with all the shit going on at the club. Not the starting XI I'd pick and we got punished for it. Set them up pretty well to defend the long throw but we lost most battles out there.

Wrexham - The long throw anti-football stuff is terrible and their fans are like children. Fair play though, they deserved to win and were the better team for long periods and were unlucky not to get a penalty and we rode our luck with the ball in the box. Impressive considering they lost 2 CBs in the first 10 minutes. Mullin looked a handful all game and never stopped running. Easily man of the match. The media will go on about the Hollywood bollocks but they've essentially bought promotion.
I think you've been generous with some of those ratings!

Wow. Not deserved at all. They will be gutted.

I hope our management noticed every one of Tozers howitzers was a foul throw. He ends up with his right foot over the touchline and in play. Couldn't believe non of the officials pulled h
I noticed this & commented time & again, I hope the Assistant refs fo the replay re-read the laws of the game

We were rubish , but the fighting spirit to equalise twice with 10 men, does give me hope, and this could be the kick up the arse we need, without causing any damage to our promotion hopes.

I hope we do see a replay of the sending off incident, as Jebbo & Hecky looked astounded

We were made to look absolutely terrible by a non league side who lost the heart of their defence in the first 15mins. United were a shambles. Wrexham schooled us on and off the ball. I really struggle to remember a defensive/midfield display from a Blades team as bad as that one today. Absolutely abject. Baffling. So devoid of quality and composure on the ball it was almost unbelievable for blokes who are 2nd in the Championship.

It might be some small comfort if we could say that the players attitude was the problem... that they went into the game thinking they'd breeze it.... but I'm not sure that we can. The standard of our technical play when in possession.... Jesus.... we were so poor it was embarrassing. Many are saying that Wrexham played 'anti football'... and maybe there's a bit of truth in that with the long throw routine.... but let's not kid ourselves... for long periods of time their players played the ball quicker, more accurately, moved at pace and found space better than we did (with the ball on the ground).

All that said... all due credit to Wrexham for that performance. United have to take a deep breath and ask themselves a few questions. Hopefully Wrexham have given us a wake up call that we will take heed of. Otherwise the likes of Boro and Watford will be looking at that points gap and confidently thinking that they can reel us in.

One positive.... we didn't give up. That's it.

I wonder if the BBC will be showing the FA Cup replay @ BDTBL as Wrexham only non league club left in FA Cup. Only other stand out replay is Sunderland v Fulham more likely to be on ITV

Joke of a performance, joke tv coverage, joke pitch.

Got a replay so just got to smash them at home now, maybe let’s not go 1 nil up early doors and just stop playing completely. That was a bad tactic today.

If we get pigs next round I hope we go out anyway, putting that performance in on another shit lower league ground with a shit pitch and fans who treat it like a cup final would be unbearable.

Have no idea what our game plan was,at least they had one,to.play it down either side towards the corners and invite the challenge so they could sling it,but even they must have been surprised at the ease of which they beat the wide defenders and got inside.or got down to the goal line and crossed it,embarrassing.

John Egan higher up on BBC news than the Ukraine war!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230129-202139_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230129-202139_Chrome.jpg
    761.8 KB · Views: 25
Have no idea what our game plan was,at least they had one,to.play it down either side towards the corners and invite the challenge so they could sling it,but even they must have been surprised at the ease of which they beat the wide defenders and got inside.or got down to the goal line and crossed it,embarrassing.
Couldn't agree more. Our left hand side was astonishingly bad for most of the game..... couldn't believe that I was watching a Blades first XI.... and I don't say that lightly. I've been watching us a long, long time...!

But we didn't give up and we didn't lose. Just hope we never turn in another performance like that ever again. Embarrassing.... and live on national TV
...FFS!!!

Anyone else worried about Rotherham? Jesus have I just said that, fucking Rotherham🤦‍♂️

Back
Top Bottom