Wombling Wimbledon or Progressing Pilgrims?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

im delighted Wimbledon won the play off final & guessing most fans have soft spot for them. Yes Leicester is a great story. But if ever a story deserves to be film its AFC Wimbledon. Founded 14yrs ago (day before France lost to Senegal in opening game of the 02 world cup) mk dons stole their club. Fans fought back rose through the league & 14yrs back in League 1.

Its going to be a tough home game because I'll want us to take all 3pts but as I said big soft spot for them

Wimbledon. I want to see them do the double over Franchise FC next season.

Does anyone remember a kid about 15 from Wimbledon making a dignified, silent one lad protest on the away end at Bramall Lane last time they played here? He was on his own holding a banner up.

Fair play to him - what went around just came back round!

This Wednesday fan is getting even more carried away than usual on Owlstalk, just the 82 million Wednesday fans going to Wembley?

Its been less than 72 hours since their big day out and already the myths of how many they took has reached the 82 million mark!

I'd say it was a typo but this is an Owl we are on about so I'm not going to jump the gun.

They've got back to where they need to be in the timescale they could've realistically but ambitiously expected to. Their return was inevitable but they've done it quicker than they might have. Well done to them. Time to overtake MK Dons now.

They could do with moving to a new stadium though, 4,000 isn't enough for them.

wimbledons win completes a crazy season where the smaller club has triumphed at every level

leicester winning the prem , burnley the championship , wigan and burton and bottom at xmas club barnsley , going up and now wimbledon , out gunning plymouth

suppose wimbledon is a lot nearer than plymouth, but theres no yorkshire interest as we cant count Bradford as its closer to Mombai

wimbledons win completes a crazy season where the smaller club has triumphed at every level

leicester winning the prem , burnley the championship , wigan and burton and bottom at xmas club barnsley , going up and now wimbledon , out gunning plymouth

suppose wimbledon is a lot nearer than plymouth, but theres no yorkshire interest as we cant count Bradford as its closer to Mombai
A good comment until the last sentence.

why is it wrong to quote facts , didnt say it was a bad thing to be diverse
Bradfords a unique place for ethnic diversity , always enjoy going there , have muslim friends there who call it Hydrabrad
they find it humourous , pity too many think theres an agenda in every comment
worked in bradford for 5 years repairing car windows and some of the garages run by Indian pakistanis and sikhs were some of the nicest people Ive ever met, and still stay in contact with , their view on Bradford would really shock you as they call it a lot worse

Bradford is in Yorkshire. It isn't near Mombai.
Geographically yes but that wasn't what he meant. If a population is higher than 50 percent in non Christians i.e another religion, he's perfectly correct in saying that it is more like a non-Christian city.

Edit: However having looked at the link, that isn't actually the case.

Last edited:
Sheffield is 53% Christian population...'Mombai' here we come :rolleyes:

View from the Hoofmeister. :rolleyes:

Wimbledon must find their own ground... if it was a choice between promotion or the stadium, we'd have stayed in League Two
  • Dave Bassett is delighted that AFC Wimbledon have reached League One
  • The Dons beat Plymouth 2-0 in the play-off final at Wembley on Monday
  • Bassett said Wimbledon's success was about the new era of the club
  • He was part of the selection panel that chose Neal Ardley as manager
  • Bassett said Wimbledon securing their own stadium is key to progress
Dave Bassett managed Wimbledon during the 1980s and sees parallels between the 'Crazy Gang' and the Dons side that sealed promotion to League One on Monday.

But Bassett, who helped appoint current manager Neal Ardley, knows there is still a lot of work to be done at the club which was reborn in the Combined Counties League in 2002 after Wimbledon FC relocated to Milton Keynes.

Writing for Sportsmail following the victory at Wembley, Bassett said securing their their own stadium should be the club's main priority.

It’s fantastic. I’m so delighted. It really is terrific what has been achieved since the club started up.

This is a new era — it isn’t about the Crazy Gang, It’s about Neal Ardley and his boys and all those players from the early days of AFC Wimbledon.

But it does rekindle some of those memories, it reminds me of those days and in that way, this is a continuation of the Wimbledon history.

It is deep within the DNA of the club — you fight against the odds. I was there at Wembley and you could see it written all over their faces — they were determined. It was a great day, it was like the FA Cup final in 1988, watching Bobby Gould and his team.

I’m really pleased for Ivor Heller, Erik Samuelson and David Charles who battled through that period.

They deserve the plaudits.

You can talk about Leicester this season but Wimbledon were nowhere, they were playing the equivalent of Sunday League football. They had two or three thousand loyal to the cause, thinking: ‘Do we really want to watch this?’

But they stuck with it and were determined to get back. I was involved in the selection of Neal as the manager three years ago and he came up to me at the end of the game and said: ‘That was a great decision you made’.

We got it down to two: Neal and Robert Page, who is now at Northampton. We gave it to Neal because he was a bright boy and he was ex-Wimbledon, so he knew the club.

00036D8100000258-3616837-image-m-33_1464641709710.jpg

It is a unique club. They’ve got this feeling of injustice but I was never as hardened against Milton Keynes as a lot of Wimbledon people. They took advantage of a situation the authorities allowed to happen.

It has actually worked in Wimbledon’s favour because the people running this club could not have stepped in and run that club. Wimbledon would have drifted into non-League. But they were able to start the club and shape it from top to bottom in the right way.

The big thing now is for Mayor of London Sadiq Khan to help Wimbledon into their own stadium. If they don’t, it’s odds-on they will soon be back in the fourth tier.

At the start of the day if they could have taken promotion or the stadium, they would have gone for the stadium.

That’s the way forward. If Wimbledon are back in the Plough Lane area they can expect gates of 10,000 and can prosper.

Link

I still think there could be a position for DB at the Lane. And the comments re. Ardley 'understanding' the club could apply equally to Wilder.

I was in this stand when Fashanu did his 'conjuring act'.

main-stand-plough-lane-wimbledon.jpg

It's certainly a romantic story about Wimbledons rise from the ashes

But I remember Wimbledon in the 80's and 90's.
They rarely got 10,000 home gates even in the top flight. Some crowds were down to 3,000

And I remember they'd always play unnattractive physical long ball with tactics of intimidation
And they'd tend to beat us, especially at Plough Lane.
They also had terrible support and bring 100 fans at the most to the Lane.
In fact I remember 1 year when they brought about 12 fans with a further 6 in the executive boxes.

They were habitually the least attractive game on the fixture list.

They rarely got 10,000 home gates even in the top flight. Some crowds were down to 3,000

And I remember they'd always play unnattractive physical long ball with tactics of intimidation
In fact I remember 1 year when they brought about 12 fans with a further 6 in the executive boxes.

But football needs those kinds of teams, building themselves up from nowhere to the top flight. Also different styles to challenge the established teams. I guess Wednesday fans now would be falling over themselves to call them tinpot!

All of this is very true but my real dislike for them comes from their deliberate policy of signing some of the biggest shithouses ever to play professional football, a top five on the list would probably include Gareth Ainsworth, Hans Segers, Wally Downes, Denise Wise, John Fashanu - It comes to something when Vinny Jones can't get in the list.

Back
Top Bottom