Wilder meeting with Prince.

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

T
It's quite well documented that PA has sought investment from parties in his homeland. My feeling is any investment or takeover would come from the Middle East.

It's also significant in a way that this meeting isn't taking place in Sheffield/The UK. PA afraid to face the music?

Yes. Could’ve been an issue had the meeting been in the Bessemer or Cricketers.

It's quite well documented that PA has sought investment from parties in his homeland. My feeling is any investment or takeover would come from the Middle East.

It's also significant in a way that this meeting isn't taking place in Sheffield/The UK. PA afraid to face the music?
Thank you. It’s certainly a possibility, but I’m not convinced that Wilder would play a large part in any investment talks.

I don’t think it’s unusual for Wilder to meet the prince in Saudi Arabia.

It’s the best situation for the prince. He’ll only have a handful of players on big money because the rest will be released. He’ll have the parachute money & a much smaller wage bill unlike last time.

He’ll probably convince Wilder to get 5 loans in & 4/5 free transfers.
I understand what you’re saying about best position for the prince. But surely this is actually the best (or at least a decent) position for the club as well?

Last time we came down we basically had two seasons to get promoted or we would have been in financial meltdown due to the contracts we were carrying. Only miraculously pulling a superstar from the U21s and the solid work of Hecky got us out of that monumental shithole. I’d be much happier going into next season with a handful of big earners and the parachute payments to allow 3-4 quality loans (of which we’ve had many in recent years, in contrast to our permanent recruitment), plus a couple of decent-looking young lads.

Might or might not be good enough for top 2, but should be good enough for a tilt at playoffs and a regroup. Without gambling the future of the club.

In that sense it’s hard not to feel some sympathy given he didn’t ask to be sole owner, he was put in that spot by KM and his main source of guilt is the fact he’s not rich enough to be a sole owner at this level; something he never asked for in the first place.

My sympathy is in short supply, not because he’s a millionaire rather than a billionaire, but because he’s had years to sell up at a profit. He either really wants the kudos of owning the club, or he’s after more profit than the market will offer.

The acid test of ownership is where he leaves us. There’s a strong chance he leaves us as a financially struggling championship outfit with little improvement in infrastructure to show for our Prem millions.

Prove me wrong, Princey. I’d be delighted.

Has he ever had meetings in Sheffield? From his past social media content, it's either been France, Middle East, London or Geneva.

I understand what you’re saying about best position for the prince. But surely this is actually the best (or at least a decent) position for the club as well?

Last time we came down we basically had two seasons to get promoted or we would have been in financial meltdown due to the contracts we were carrying. Only miraculously pulling a superstar from the U21s and the solid work of Hecky got us out of that monumental shithole. I’d be much happier going into next season with a handful of big earners and the parachute payments to allow 3-4 quality loans (of which we’ve had many in recent years, in contrast to our permanent recruitment), plus a couple of decent-looking young lads.

Might or might not be good enough for top 2, but should be good enough for a tilt at playoffs and a regroup. Without gambling the future of the club.
My worry with 5 loan signings is they have to buy into the club & really care about helping the club succeed. Loan players are only there temporarily and sometimes can play like that. Most managers on podcasts/ autobiography's say how you'd prefer to have 1-2 loan players rather than half your first team.

I completely get where you're coming from & absolutely agree with it, my concern is that we're going to lose the core of the team that possibly kept those loan players motivated & focussed.

So CW is involved in the takeover talks? Interesting.

Allow me to counter this possible scenario.

The Prince has failed to find any interested investment partner in this region for the past few seasons that he's been looking.
Investment from Saudi is unlikely given the shadow of the ownership at Newcastle and therefore any investment is at risk from falling foul or being negatively impacted of the highest most powers in the country. There has been zero amount of support coming from Newcastle's ownership to help or support us, so the ideal of any mutually benefitting deal is unlikely to be seen positively and you don't go up in competition with them.
There were no talks or discussions about the sovereign wealth fund looking at us, at all, when we were owned by an active member of the government sports ambitions, so I think we can conclude that he's not seen particularly high on their list.
Previous discussions around end of season strategy have been held in Saudi with Wilder having gone over previously when in role.

Finally, why would anyone invest at this point when we're destined to go down, unless the Prince has significantly lowered his expectations on price?

So by the same token the owners of John Lewis should have kept the Cole Brothers store open, no matter what the losses were (for losses read 'investment' )

Business doesn't work like that unfortunately.
They're a co-operative. but I agree with your point.

So by the same token the owners of John Lewis should have kept the Cole Brothers store open, no matter what the losses were (for losses read 'investment' )

Business doesn't work like that unfortunately.
You're right. If the Prince runs us as a business and determines that he'd be best off financially if he shut the club down and sold the land, that's what he should do. It'd be quicker than finding a buyer while funding huge losses year after year.

Is this really how we are going to talk about football? About Sheffield United?

Allow me to counter this possible scenario.

The Prince has failed to find any interested investment partner in this region for the past few seasons that he's been looking.
Investment from Saudi is unlikely given the shadow of the ownership at Newcastle and therefore any investment is at risk from falling foul or being negatively impacted of the highest most powers in the country. There has been zero amount of support coming from Newcastle's ownership to help or support us, so the ideal of any mutually benefitting deal is unlikely to be seen positively and you don't go up in competition with them.
There were no talks or discussions about the sovereign wealth fund looking at us, at all, when we were owned by an active member of the government sports ambitions, so I think we can conclude that he's not seen particularly high on their list.
Previous discussions around end of season strategy have been held in Saudi with Wilder having gone over previously when in role.

Finally, why would anyone invest at this point when we're destined to go down, unless the Prince has significantly lowered his expectations on price?
I suppose the key in what you are saying there is the region, rather than the country. Maybe any new investors are from Bahrain, or another of Saudi Arabia's allies in the region? Therefore, Newcastle would not matter.

That said, I am sure the meeting won't be this exciting and probably more to do with planning for next season.

I suppose the key there is the region, rather than the country. Maybe any new investors are from Bahrain, or another of Saudi Arabia's allies in the region?

That said, I am sure the meeting won't be this exciting and probably more to do with planning for next season.
You're only saying that because the area is considered wealthy, otherwise there is no reason why the logic would stand up to scrutiny.
Are you more likely to get a Western European owner if your current owner is English? Of course not.

It's desperation driving logic, and Baltic is just casting into the middle of it.

You're right. If the Prince runs us as a business and determines that he'd be best off financially if he shut the club down and sold the land, that's what he should do. It'd be quicker than finding a buyer while funding huge losses year after year.

Is this really how we are going to talk about football? About Sheffield United?

Ok I'll use a different analogy, closer to football.

How much did Mike Ashley 'fund' (investment) Newcastle United by.

Answer from the fans - never enough.

You're only saying that because the area is considered wealthy, otherwise there is no reason why the logic would stand up to scrutiny.
Are you more likely to get a Western European owner if your current owner is English? Of course not.

It's desperation driving logic, and Baltic is just casting into the middle of it.
I'm not sure I really follow the argument here. You introduced the point about him searching in the region (not country) for an investor, but then dismissed it by saying it couldn't be a Saudi backer (country, not region), due to Newcastle.

My point was that the Newcastle hurdle is only relevant if he'd only been searching in Saudi (country), not the region, as you suggested at the onset of your point, before switching to solely talking about Saudi Arabia.

I'm not sure I really follow the argument here. You introduced the point about him searching in the region (not country) for an investor, but then dismissed it by saying it couldn't be a Saudi backer (country, not region), due to Newcastle.

My point was that the Newcastle hurdle is only relevant if he'd only been searching in Saudi (country), not the region, as you suggested at the onset of your point, before switching to solely talking about Saudi Arabia.
I didn't. Baltic suggested it, I counted it by saying I don't see why it's any more likely than anywhere else.

I didn't. Baltic suggested it, I counted it by saying I don't see why it's any more likely than anywhere else.
Well, we know it's not as he's been on the brink of selling us to two people who aren't from around that area of the World. Unfortunately for us, they both turned out to be conmen.

Well, we know it's not as he's been on the brink of selling us to two people who aren't from around that area of the World. Unfortunately for us, they both turned out to be conmen.
I feel like I'm falling down the rabbit hole here.
Wouldn't that undermine not support the assumption that someone from the middle east is more likely for some reason?

' So let me check the narrative Princey, my 10m reduces to 2m if we are relegated , what if I leave out of the back door now? '

Ok I'll use a different analogy, closer to football.

How much did Mike Ashley 'fund' (investment) Newcastle United by.

Answer from the fans - never enough.
Agree, fans will always want more investment.

Our tragedy this season is not the lack of investment that annoys most fans, it's such a lack of investment that we are absolutely abysmal, completely outclassed and not even able to be relegated in dignity.

Next season will be fine, in that we'll not be so underfunded for the level.

Back
Top Bottom