What to do with James Wallace?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Chezzy_Blade

Reaction score
He's supposedly fit and pushing for a first team birth so what do you do? Throwing a more "steady"team together on Tuesday brought us all three points home so surely you need to take this on board and can't just throw another debutee as such into the starting line up regardless of his ability.

Run out from the bench has to be to most sensible option surely, or do you go for broke and drop Basham and opt for Wallace with a steady Doyle behind him to mop it up in the same team?

I think Clough has already ruled him out for Saturday. He needs steadily increasing cameos from the bench coupled with U21 games, I don't think he'll be pushing the starting XI for another 2-3 weeks yet, and even then will have to earn his berth.

He's supposedly fit and pushing for a first team birth so what do you do? Throwing a more "steady"team together on Tuesday brought us all three points home so surely you need to take this on board and can't just throw another debutee as such into the starting line up regardless of his ability.

Run out from the bench has to be to most sensible option surely, or do you go for broke and drop Basham and opt for Wallace with a steady Doyle behind him to mop it up in the same team?

put him on the bench for now with a view for dropping basham for him, should make some sub appearances and then be ready for first team starting action

He's only done 30 mins during an U21 game so how match fit can he be?

Needs to play at least one full 90 at U21 level to even be considered for a bench berth

put him on the bench for now with a view for dropping basham for him, should make some sub appearances and then be ready for first team starting action

Stick him on the bench. Play him in U21 games and in three or four games, review. Never understood where people think this ^^^ will happen. Given his choice, Clough will play Wallace instead of Doyle alongside Basham.

Stick him on the bench. Play him in U21 games and in three or four games, review. Never understood where people think this ^^^ will happen. Given his choice, Clough will play Wallace instead of Doyle alongside Basham.

You would think so but then Tuesday night throws something else into the mix doesn't it. We picked up 3 points on the road with Doyle steadying the ship.

You would think so but then Tuesday night throws something else into the mix doesn't it. We picked up 3 points on the road with Doyle steadying the ship.

....aye and the part of the match in which we won it had Davies in a central midfield role. A further stirring of the pot there!

It's simple. He has to work hard to get a place in the side just like everyone else. I've seen him play a couple of times in the past and he has something about him, quite a good all round box to box midfielder at this level.

I was pleased to hear we had signed him but we just have to get him fit and ready to go now. Potentially we have very strong competition in the middle.

• "Gromit, we have a problem!"

I would suggest that you drop Doyle again and go for Basham & Wallace as the middle two. However, Wallace isn't yet fit enough to start !!
UTB & FTP

Rent his ass out

Anchorman-well-that-escalated-quickly.jpg

I think Clough has already ruled him out for Saturday. He needs steadily increasing cameos from the bench coupled with U21 games, I don't think he'll be pushing the starting XI for another 2-3 weeks yet, and even then will have to earn his berth.

Clough was only going to make 1or 2 changes on Tuesday night so he'll probably start! Agree should and probably will be gradually brought into the first team picture over the next 2 or 3 weeks. Hopefully by this time next month he'll be in the first XI replacing Basham.

I didn't go to any pre-season games. I recall, though, that for part of one of the games Wallace and Basham played together in central midfield and did well?

The intention is, I think, to phase out Doyle. It's up to Doyle to make himself indispensable. If he does, it's win-win. One game cannot, however, provide him with a season ticket.

Can't see him featuring in the near future unless NC has been overly cautious in his recent interviews but I still think Wallace and Basham is NCs preferred midfield duo or at least the two he thought would be pre-season.

As Pinchy suggests, if Doyle is still required, we are in trouble, no disrespect to him or what he can do, but we have to find better.

Think he might be on the bench tomorrow to keep him included, but not use him. Might get last 15 at the Spammers IMO .
When's the next u21 game when he could get an hour in ? Hopefully pre Preston and then look to use off bench there.

Personally I would play him for 90 minutes, change our entire game plan to accomodate him, not substitute him if he is tiring and give him the captain's armband for good measure. Its just a shame he has known the rest of the players longer than 5 days. Damn, already done that with Higdon. ;)

I'm not familiar with the fella, but from several sources it seems we have a special player, someone who has the quality that will serve us well once he's back to full fitness.

If any of these reports have substance then Clough will have bought him because he knows how Wallace will strengthen the team and that should, in turn, raise the performances of those around him.....can't wait to see him, UTB

No need to rush him, we have plenty of competition in the centre. Would rather him return 100% than risk him now.

I agree, Groin strains are slow to heal fully and the worst thing is to rush him back too soon as it sets back the recovery even further

Ronnie Moore gives him the most glowing of references in today's Star. Better than Macdonald and, IF fully fit, the best CM we'll have had for years.

A big IF.

A midfield 3 of Basham or Doyle, Wallace and Scougall is my ideal.

Flynn, Baxter and Murphy ahead of them. Higdon up top.

So a 3-3-3-1 (5-1-3-1) formation? I admire the attacking intent but think we may get caught out!

I think we will get to stage where we have a settled formations such as 4-2-3-1 and everyone is competing for a position (or two) with one or two others.

CB (2) - Collins/ McGahey/ Butler/ Alcock
RB (1) - McEveley/ Harris
LB (1) - Alcock/ Davies
CM (2) -Doyle/ Basham/ Sougs/ Wallace/ Reed
AM (1) - Baxter/ De Girolamo/ McGinn
Wide (2) - Flynn/ Murphy / JCR /Davies/ McEveley
CF (1) - Higdon/ McNulty/ Baxter/... Porter

Hard to choose for each position but think we need to be concious of getting consistency to our style and the formation fixed rather than trying to make the formation fit the best players. Something England and many other teams have tried and failed to do over the years. Having either Wallace or Scougs sat out will only make them more hungry and if both given their chance, it will make for a good squad rather than team.

James Wallace can do it all. We just need to get him properly fit. If that takes another month, so be it.

So a 3-3-3-1 (5-1-3-1) formation? I admire the attacking intent but think we may get caught out!

I think we will get to stage where we have a settled formations such as 4-2-3-1 and everyone is competing for a position (or two) with one or two others.

CB (2) - Collins/ McGahey/ Butler/ Alcock
RB (1) - McEveley/ Harris
LB (1) - Alcock/ Davies
CM (2) -Doyle/ Basham/ Sougs/ Wallace/ Reed
AM (1) - Baxter/ De Girolamo/ McGinn
Wide (2) - Flynn/ Murphy / JCR /Davies/ McEveley
CF (1) - Higdon/ McNulty/ Baxter/... Porter

Hard to choose for each position but think we need to be concious of getting consistency to our style and the formation fixed rather than trying to make the formation fit the best players. Something England and many other teams have tried and failed to do over the years. Having either Wallace or Scougs sat out will only make them more hungry and if both given their chance, it will make for a good squad rather than team.

I really didn't think that through.

Got to admit it would be nice to stick 5 or 6 past a team again, and at the Lane.

When was the last time we scored 5+ in a match at BDTBL?

Cant be v West Brom can it surely.

Back
Top Bottom