Wes first goal

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Shocking. He’s so fucking shit at times it’s unreal.

Hope Grbic is the second coming of Gordon Banks, god knows we need it.

Next season we won’t need a highlight reel show stopper but we will need someone who can actually command his area and give his defenders some confidence.
Nowt to do with the shit show that he has in front of him?

A keeper has to rely heavily on the protection that he gets from those in front of him. Yet we leave players unmarked and we pull at players because we cant get near them. Wes isn't world class, but he would be much better with assure players in front of him... FACT

Nowt to do with the shit show that he has in front of him?

A keeper has to rely heavily on the protection that he gets from those in front of him. Yet we leave players unmarked and we pull at players because we cant get near them. Wes isn't world class, but he would be much better with assure players in front of him... FACT
The players in front of him would be a lot better with a keeper they can trust

The players in front of him would be a lot better with a keeper they can trust
What a load of bullshit. The role of a defender is to nullify threat and our lot struggle with that. Anel has gone backwards and appears shit scared at times! Him and Robbo struggle and tug at shirts and grapple.... it's embarrassing.

For opponents to have a shot on target generally means that defenders haven't done their job.

So you think it works one way but not the other? Strange way of thinking

3 players over one...... but yet the singular receives all the blame. Defensively we are EFL, it is gash at times! Like I said, wes isn't world class.... but there is a reason that Wilder wants to improve us defensively... because they can't cope and fail at the basics! Man marking, physicality, the job lot. They are lightweight and cant handle world class players.

3 players over one...... but yet the singular receives all the blame. Defensively we are EFL, it is gash at times! Like I said, wes isn't world class.... but there is a reason that Wilder wants to improve us defensively... because they can't cope and fail at the basics! Man marking, physicality, the job lot. They are lightweight and cant handle world class players.
The keeper is making at least 1 mistake every game and costing us a goal.

Yeah he wants to improve the defence, and also the keeper 😂

The keeper is making at least 1 mistake every game and costing us a goal.

Yeah he wants to improve the defence, and also the keeper 😂

All wes fault bud yeah.... 🙄🙄

And when Grbic comes in and we are still conceding because our defenders are gash.... suppose it's his fault as well.

All wes fault bud yeah.... 🙄🙄

And when Grbic comes in and we are still conceding because our defenders are gash.... suppose it's his fault as well.
Not all. But plenty.

Maybe so, maybe not. We’ll have to see.

For what it’s worth I don’t think the defence is good enough and we are dying for a captain type.

Not all. But plenty.

Maybe so, maybe not. We’ll have to see.

For what it’s worth I don’t think the defence is good enough and we are dying for a captain type.
Thee back three are shite and it was the same with Egan in there as well. Lightweight and no assurance what so ever. This was the case in the Championship at times and should have been addressed in the summer, along with a lot of other things.

Ahmedhodzic has been found out to an extent.... robbo has determination but can't handle it at times... Trusty has the most experience of the three, but isn't the sole answer. They look wobbled most weeks and can't cope.

Thee back three are shite and it was the same with Egan in there as well. Lightweight and no assurance what so ever. This was the case in the Championship at times and should have been addressed in the summer, along with a lot of other things.

Ahmedhodzic has been found out to an extent.... robbo has determination but can't handle it at times... Trusty has the most experience of the three, but isn't the sole answer. They look wobbled most weeks and can't cope.
I like Trusty a lot. He’s very athletic too. We need two centre halves who are capable of leading a team on their own.

He did nothing to prevent that goal. At all. Do you think that’s acceptable?

And we’ve conceded more goals than anyone in Europe, having him in net isn’t helping matters.
I think his positioning could’ve been better but i think he was predicting it to go across goal instead of near post. It was a bullet of a shot so had no time to react.

Their player was totally unmarked at the back post, to me that’s the bigger issue. He’s not the best keeper but far from the worst. The team arent doing enough to protect the goal.

Wes has made the highest saves in the premier league, we have conceded the most amount of shots of any team and his save% is not bottom of the table. He could be better but to blame him for every goal is unfair as the whole team (apart from today) are too defensive minded and invite pressure.

Thought Wes did what was required of him today but he did shit himself for the first goal unfortunately, jumped as the ball was hit and tried to save with both his arm and leg... I also remember saying to my dad when they got the penalty that he's got a decent save record which shouldn't be forgotten. I'm sure any of the top keepers in this league bar 2-3 would be a bit of a bomb scare having this defence in front of them and 50 goals conceded already.

Again though, he covered nothing at all. At least throw yourself in the obvious direction?

Though I appreciate guarding against it just becoming the default pile on. Marking also an issue for the goal
The shot had a lot of power from pretty close. I don’t think many goalkeepers can react to that. His positioning, yes was questionable. Was the goal his fault, nope.

I think it’s more we never see him pull of these sort of saves. If it happened 10x it probably goes in 10x with him.

Where as keepers in the past most notably Deano would keep it out to a standing ovation.
Did you see Deano play yesterday? He was at fault for at least 2 goals. I was of the opinion he was a blade, and he was committed to the Blades future. But he defected immediately to Florist when they got promoted ahead of us. Total bellend and not good enough for EPL, never mind England team.

Bit of a jump that; look at your first line of the OP and either recall it realtime or watch a replay (which I’m yet to). It just doesn’t marry up.

It’s possible to suggest he could do better at the many efforts he’s had to face this season, but some are going far too far and far too personal.
It's nothing personal, Wes is simply not good enough for this level.

Most of the blame goes to Hamer, who just dangles a leg in on Ings who gets a chance to blast a shot in.
View attachment 177908

Robinson bravely blocks the shot with his chest...absolutely no blame for Robbo here!
View attachment 177909

Wes moves across the goal to narrow the angle...
View attachment 177910

There's no way he can get any further out to narrow the angle because the ball falls perfectly to Cornet to volley home first time. Wes is in just about the right spot in my opinion...being right on the post would not be the correct position for a goalkeeper, but of course all the captain hindsights will say he would have blocked it if he was right on the post.
View attachment 177911
Agree about Hamer, the 'challenge' on Ings was non-existent.

You really need to watch it back a few times...it might have felt like an eternity, but there's less than 2 seconds from Ings initial shot to the ball being in the back of the net.
Hamer's challenge was almost funny it was that bad.

On the screen grabs you have taken we have a hell of a lot of defenders and midfielders in our box. Given those numbers we should have done better. I will wait for the full ‘Bergen’ but to me in full speed at the other end of the ground it’s very very very similar to many of the goals we have conceded this year in that:
  • started off with a break down our left (Trusty not tight or wide enough?/lack of midfield cover on that side
  • cutback/cross not dealt with - missed tackles from the midfielder tracking back
  • overload on right hand side is converted as Bogle marks space
  • Keeper has a low chance of saving but still makes it look very very soft

1000025356.jpg

Drop this one into the topic......

An ever present problem with our defenders, they get dragged in!. The ricochet was cruel 1000%, but where is the talking and discipline? Who is marking who in that moment before the ball cruelly pings across for the goal??

Ultimately, he is left with a free hit at Wes....and yes technicly perhaps he could be better. But he is who he is and he has limitations......he needs more from his defenders.

He’s six yards out, smashes it towards goal is expecting it go across him and can only stick out a foot to try and stop it, as it flashes past him into the net.

He’s made his errors, but it’s a bit of a stretch to blame Wes for that goal.

As an aside, I did notice, that Wesley, who has consistently worn Nike gloves throughout his time at Bramall Lane, was wearing Adidas gloves today?

I would assume they’ve been supplied to him by the brand marketing team at Nike 🤣

Who would you blame? He’s literally doing nothing. And beat at his near post.
I’d primarily blame the marking. Wes should have saved it for me, but it stems from them having a free man unmarked

View attachment 177929

Drop this one into the topic......

An ever present problem with our defenders, they get dragged in!. The ricochet was cruel 1000%, but where is the talking and discipline? Who is marking who in that moment before the ball cruelly pings across for the goal??

Ultimately, he is left with a free hit at Wes....and yes technicly perhaps he could be better. But he is who he is and he has limitations......he needs more from his defenders.
100% this I have screenshotted it a few frames before. The ball is played to the player at the bottom on the right wing and even there you can see how much space both he is in and Cornet at the top on the left wing.

Attachments

• IMG_0822.jpeg
    IMG_0822.jpeg
    101.3 KB · Views: 8
Others are correct, he makes at least 1 mistake per match especially at this level.

Any of our players who don't make at least one mistake per game ?

They wouldn't be playing for us if so.

Yeah, that goal was 100% Wes's fault :rolleyes:
Hi Stegosaurus here,

I used to play in goal as a kid. When I was 10, I remember it being drilled into me that a goalie should never be beat at their near post.

Under 10s Wes failed at what I learned as a nipper.

Back
Top Bottom