"We have to get up this season"-Adkins

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

We badly needed strikers as well as CB's. And midfielders. Again, testament to how catastrophic Clough's time here was that even with the number of players he signed we still needed 5 or 6 signings who were actually good enough in order to mount a decent challenge this season.

Part of Adkins' job is to sort out the mess of a squad left by Clough. He absolutely must be working with his hands tied behind his back when it comes to wage bill/squad size. Being honest and working hard is all well and good, but if you're not good enough then you're not good enough, and there's plenty around the first team who just aren't. How do you move cack players on good wages on to somewhere else? Few players will want to move from Bramall Lane and a decent wage to a pay cut and, for example, Vale Park or Gresty Road.

If he'd signed two CB's instead of two strikers, the season would've began with us being better at the back but still very lightweight in the middle of the park and reliant on Higdon and McNulty for our goals.

And Jay McEveley would still have started at left-back.

This squad will take a long, long time to sort out.

So it's apparent that United's interview process is utterly shambolic. Adkins will sail off into the sunset - with a ridiculous pay-off funded by us - and we'll be left to bicker about how we supporters are 'impatient'. Do McCabe, Phipps, Brannigan etc. never learn? This is the most vital season in recent years, and it seems they've been seduced by NA's slick words. Accusations about Clough's empire-building are accurate, but it shouldn't have been allowed in the first place. I'd like the next manager to be on a 6-month rolling contract dependent on performance. Could we seriously be landed with anybody worse than the shower we've had over the last nine years?

Anyone can criticise. I could list a number of things I think he could do better but I'm not going to. Those who want to criticise can work it out for themselves. Finding solutions is the issue and Adkins hasn't been given a blank cheque.

There's not a team at this level with a 'blank cheque', including the teams that out-play and out-fight us on a depressingly regular basis. Not many players at this level possess genuine talent but, having discovered this stunning fact, the basic requirements are fitness and aggression. We're seeing it from the likes of Port Vale, Gillingham, Bury, even Chesterfield. Instead, United have become a soft touch, a place for a last big pay-out, for players and managers.

I agree that we are a soft touch. And that starts from the very top. What a disapointment the Prince & his hangers on have been. Is he even arsed about us anymore? If so then get the fuck over to the UK to sort this mess out as KM is not able to do so. His right hand man JP has also been exposed as a big cuddly bear. How wrong I was about him. I thought he would have been an iron fist in a velvet glove. But no.

His capitulation over the Ched Evans case has brought it to light that he to, is a soft touch.

Are you a Sheff Utd player who wants to leave even though you still have 2/3 years left on your deal? No problem... Just ask Uncle Jim if you can leave please as your abit upset..... No problem! here you go boy. go away with our blessings. Were all Blades for life!!!

Clough quickly recognised that we don't have players for 2 in the middle to plat 442.

He may well have quickly recognised it, but he nearly as quickly moved to bring in even more that similarly weren't suited to 4-4-2. Recruitment over last season and the half previous have all been with 4-5-1 in mind – no wonder the middle is struggling to fully adjust.

So it's apparent that United's interview process is utterly shambolic. Adkins will sail off into the sunset - with a ridiculous pay-off funded by us - and we'll be left to bicker about how we supporters are 'impatient'. Do McCabe, Phipps, Brannigan etc. never learn? This is the most vital season in recent years, and it seems they've been seduced by NA's slick words. Accusations about Clough's empire-building are accurate, but it shouldn't have been allowed in the first place. I'd like the next manager to be on a 6-month rolling contract dependent on performance. Could we seriously be landed with anybody worse than the shower we've had over the last nine years?

There's not a team at this level with a 'blank cheque', including the teams that out-play and out-fight us on a depressingly regular basis. Not many players at this level possess genuine talent but, having discovered this stunning fact, the basic requirements are fitness and aggression. We're seeing it from the likes of Port Vale, Gillingham, Bury, even Chesterfield. Instead, United have become a soft touch, a place for a last big pay-out, for players and managers.
Have Gillingham, Bury, Port Vale changed their manager this season? No.
You seem to think Adkins is a busted flush, based on the fact he hasn't been able to turn us around in a couple of months.
You then advocate only giving the next manager a 6 month rolling contract. Who's going to accept that then?
You're missing my point completely by saying 'no one has a blank cheque'. Of course they haven't, apart from Van Gaal apparently, but without that no manager is going to turn our situation around in five minutes. Not Flitcroft, not Edinburgh, not Page nor any other flavour of the month.

You then advocate only giving the next manager a 6 month rolling contract. Who's going to accept that then?

Any manager who's been out of work for a few months? Anyone who'll get top-Championship crowds (and wages)? Anyone who knows he'll get a massive pay-off if it all goes tits up?

Any manager who's been out of work for a few months? Anyone who'll get top-Championship crowds (and wages)? Anyone who knows he'll get a massive pay-off if it all goes tits up?
If he's on a six month rolling contract he won't get a big pay off when he leaves.
I'd be surprised if we're paying top Championship wages to NA, or that we did to Clough.
You've just said on another thread we shouldn't be picking out of work managers, that that is the problem but you're now saying we should go for them?

If he's on a six month rolling contract he won't get a big pay off when he leaves.
I'd be surprised if we're paying top Championship wages to NA, or that we did to Clough.
You've just said on another thread we shouldn't be picking out of work managers, that that is the problem but you're now saying we should go for them?

No, I was responding to your 'You then advocate only giving the next manager a 6 month rolling contract. Who's going to accept that then?' quote. I'm not saying 'We should go for them'. Can it get any worse? A near-alcoholic? A bloke who immediately recognised the job was too big for him? A bloke who'd never, ever been a manager? A bloke who - in nearly 20 years as a manager - achieved one promotion (from the sixth tier to the fifth). A bloke who's done the rounds of South Yorkshire clubs and left them all poorer for it?

No, I was responding to your 'You then advocate only giving the next manager a 6 month rolling contract. Who's going to accept that then?' quote. I'm not saying 'We should go for them'. Can it get any worse? A near-alcoholic? A bloke who immediately recognised the job was too big for him? A bloke who'd never, ever been a manager? A bloke who - in nearly 20 years as a manager - achieved one promotion (from the sixth tier to the fifth). A bloke who's done the rounds of South Yorkshire clubs and left them all poorer for it?
Well presumably if you say we should offer six month rolling contracts we have to accept that only out of work managers and ones of poor quality would accept that so logic dictates by suggesting we should offer six month contracts you are advocating employing those types of managers.

I agree with your second paragraph, they're all shit and none of them should have been near the club but none of that is anything to do with Adkins. Which was my point.

Have a like, BB. It's equally pointless debating who should be manager as it is which players should we sign? They'll always go for a bloke who won't rock the boat and, meanwhile, the Championship will become a distant memory. Like Clough, early signs with NA aren't promising. We're not just losing, we're turning in Weir-esque performances. Of our five wins, three - Doncaster, Chezzie and Blackpool - were flattering.

I'm off out!

Do McCabe, Phipps, Brannigan etc. never learn? This is the most vital season in recent years, and it seems they've been seduced by NA's slick words. Accusations about Clough's empire-building are accurate, but it shouldn't have been allowed in the first place.

Phipps, Brannigan et al were working on the basis that the business people handle the business and the football people handle the football. Clough said who he wanted and the business folk sorted the deals, fully expecting that Clough & Co. knew what they were doing and that he would be using these players to mount serious promotion pushes. He failed.

This way of doing things, by which I mean the footy men asking for players instead of players being handed to them by DoF's and the like, is absolutely the right way to go about things in my opinion. The board had faith in Clough to let him build his squad and even when the top two were miles away, he must have assured them that the play-off's were still a genuine chance of promotion and that he could still achieve his target. They simply had faith in the wrong man. Saying he shouldn't have been allowed to build his squad, even as huge and uneven as it was, is a sure-fire way to cause a rift between the board and the football staff. We all know how stubborn Clough came across...imagine if the non-football people dared to question his methods on football matters? If we're to believe rumour, isn't that questioning what got him sacked?

Adkins may come across as a bit of a slick car-salesman type, but I think we have the right man. He just needs time. With the size of our squad we've only managed to offload Murphy and, temporarily, Higdon (am I missing anyone else?). That's still a lot of bodies and a lot of wages. As I stated previously, his hands must be tied in many respects. He's probably extremely frustrated trying to make donkeys perform like stallions, but he has to do what he can for now.

Have a like, BB. It's equally pointless debating who should be manager as it is which players should we sign? They'll always go for a bloke who won't rock the boat and, meanwhile, the Championship will become a distant memory. Like Clough, early signs with NA aren't promising. We're not just losing, we're turning in Weir-esque performances. Of our five wins, three - Doncaster, Chezzie and Blackpool - were flattering.

I'm off out!
I've gone out. Now waiting for a delayed client.
NA hasn't had the impact we hoped for but there are enough reasons why, not his fault, to cut him some slack. Unlike every single one of his predecessors he has a good record. Not just the odd promotion back in the days when we had hair, or a single promotion from L2. A proper Bassett/Warnock type record of multiple promotions.
And remember, Bassett couldn't sort out the shit he inherited straight away either.

Quite rightly NA is getting some grief, but I look look past him up to the Carpeted area for the real culprits

I've gone out. Now waiting for a delayed client.
NA hasn't had the impact we hoped for but there are enough reasons why, not his fault, to cut him some slack. Unlike every single one of his predecessors he has a good record. Not just the odd promotion back in the days when we had hair, or a single promotion from L2. A proper Bassett/Warnock type record of multiple promotions.
And remember, Bassett couldn't sort out the shit he inherited straight away either.

Bush , although we are disappointed , frustrated due to recent results , and the ongoing saga of the apparant lack of movement in the transfer / loan market .

When we won two on the trot , some thought we were on our way , and Bury / Colchester would be positive / walk over results.

I think we have to put it all in perceptive , and we will throughout the season , go on winning runs and losing runs , As long as Adkins will do his best to try and bring in some consistancy , we have to stick with him , the team , and what we have got . He like us , may not have a choice.

If we are in the same dilema at easter time , then we have every reason to be worried . Up to press all we can do is go with Adkins , and hope we live up to our expectations.

UTB

Bush , although we are disappointed , frustrated due to recent results , and the ongoing saga of the apparant lack of movement in the transfer / loan market .

When we won two on the trot , some thought we were on our way , and Bury / Colchester would be positive / walk over results.

I think we have to put it all in perceptive , and we will throughout the season , go on winning runs and losing runs , As long as Adkins will do his best to try and bring in some consistancy , we have to stick with him , the team , and what we have got . He like us , may not have a choice.

If we are in the same dilema at easter time , then we have every reason to be worried . Up to press all we can do is go with Adkins , and hope we live up to our expectations.

UTB

Adkins has more choice than supporters, 4 4 2 is not etched in stone, he can adjust, clearly the players struggle to implement it from game to game, centre midfield is continually over run exposing our porous defenders. The priority this year is all about winning games and achieving promotion, entertainment is secondary after this length of time in this division, so Nigel play to a style that suits the players not one the players are incapable of implementing.

All true, but I'm just getting utterly fed up with the way years pass and we're still stuck at this level. It's the law of averages that one day we'll get a manager who'll make us click, but there's no signs of that at the moment.

Oh, and I've still got all my hair. It's just not where it used to be! :D

This thread is a classic example of the fickleness of football fans.

One year it’s “we need to get it down and play on the deck. No more hoof!”

To “We need to sign footballers who can pass instead of all these big cloggers and triers with no technical ability”

Then it’s “4231 is the system of the future. All the big clubs are doing it and we need to move with the times”

Then it’s “1 up front at home to fucking (insert name of unglamorous League 1 team) is fucking shit. No wonder we can’t break teams down”

To “We need to play 442 with pace and size. We don’t need skilful midgets in this league. We need big nasty bastards. Who cares if they can play”

To “ Stop fucking about with it at back and get it up to t’big man”

And we go full circle. As soon as we lose a couple of games so many of our fans seem to start demanding a change in approach. Same as those fans at the match who start groaning and shouting “gerrit forrud” when the defence and midfield are knocking it about waiting for an opening and then Baxter tries a forward pass that isn’t on and the same people go absolutely fucking apeshit. They just don’t seem to have any idea what they want. Problem is, over the years, our board have been just as knee jerk and fickle and have failed to ever stick to any sort of long term vision.

However, the one difference we have now is that we have a manager with a cracking CV. That’s the first time I can ever remember feeling that way about a managerial appointment. I also don’t think he comes across at all like a slick used car salesman. I think he comes across as a man who loves football. Lives and breathes it and immerses himself in the subject and wants to learn all the time. He wants to give our players the best possible environment to thrive. We know that most who were crap last season won’t change but there does appear to be some sign of improvement in Alcock and Coutts (we’ll have to see whether it lasts). I think people also underestimate the human side of management all too often. By giving everyone a clean slate in the summer, Adkins will have earned more respect from his players than if he came in with pre-conceived ideas about who was crap and needed binning off. His approach has to be better for the morale of the squad in creating an atmosphere where everyone is looking to impress and stake a claim to be a first team regular. Kieron Wallace seems to have benefited from this approach. Unfortunately though, too many of this group just don’t seem to have the character to perform at anything like their best on a regular basis. Too many want to play without earning the right. Too many lack the physique to earn the right. I think there is room in the squad for a small skilful ball player but that player needs to apply himself and perform more often than not. He also needs the right balance around him in terms of size, strength, pace etc.

At the moment, the balance of our squad isn’t quite right for 433 or 442. We don’t have the central midfield balance for the latter (too many number 10s but a lack of 4s and 8s) but by playing the former, we waste arguably our best weapon in the pairing of Sammon and Sharp who do seem to compliment each other.

I think we desperately need a player like Hammond to come in and help shore up our midfield. I had hoped Wallace might come in this season and partner Bash but it’s probably time to accept it just isn’t going to happen for him (he has a contract to the end of the season to prove me wrong and I hope he does but can’t see it). Then I’d like to see the front 4 that we saw finish the game on Saturday.

Until then, I’d have Coutts on one wing and Adams or Done on the other as that gives us the flexibility to move Coutts into CM and swith to 433 as and when required. Fact of the matter is there will be some games where 442 is more effective and others where 433 works better. It’s not always obvious which will be required until you see how the game is taking shape so being able to switch between the two surely represents our best option at present.

But fundamentally, we need to give Adkins time to put his team together. Next summer, he will be in a position to similar to that of Clough in 2014. Let's hope me makes a much better job of the recruitment than Clough did.

To “We need to sign footballers who can pass instead of all these big cloggers and triers with no technical ability”

Then it’s “4231 is the system of the future. All the big clubs are doing it and we need to move with the times”

Then it’s “1 up front at home to fucking (insert name of unglamorous League 1 team) is fucking shit. No wonder we can’t break teams down”

To “We need to play 442 with pace and size. We don’t need skilful midgets in this league. We need big nasty bastards. Who cares if they can play”

And we go full circle. As soon as we lose a couple of games so many of our fans seem to start demanding a change in approach. Same as those fans at the match who start groaning and shouting “gerrit forrud” when the defence and midfield are knocking it about waiting for an opening and then Baxter tries a forward pass that isn’t on and the same people go absolutely fucking apeshit. They just don’t seem to have any idea what they want. Problem is, over the years, our board have been just as knee jerk and fickle and have failed to ever stick to any sort of long term vision.

However, the one difference we have now is that we have a manager with a cracking CV. That’s the first time I can ever remember feeling that way about a managerial appointment. I also don’t think he comes across at all like a slick used car salesman. I think he comes across as a man who loves football. Lives and breathes it and immerses himself in the subject and wants to learn all the time. He wants to give our players the best possible environment to thrive. We know that most who were crap last season won’t change but there does appear to be some sign of improvement in Alcock and Coutts (we’ll have to see whether it lasts). I think people also underestimate the human side of management all too often. By giving everyone a clean slate in the summer, Adkins will have earned more respect from his players than if he came in with pre-conceived ideas about who was crap and needed binning off. His approach has to be better for the morale of the squad in creating an atmosphere where everyone is looking to impress and stake a claim to be a first team regular. Kieron Wallace seems to have benefited from this approach. Unfortunately though, too many of this group just don’t seem to have the character to perform at anything like their best on a regular basis. Too many want to play without earning the right. Too many lack the physique to earn the right. I think there is room in the squad for a small skilful ball player but that player needs to apply himself and perform more often than not. He also needs the right balance around him in terms of size, strength, pace etc.

At the moment, the balance of our squad isn’t quite right for 433 or 442. We don’t have the central midfield balance for the latter (too many number 10s but a lack of 4s and 8s) but by playing the former, we waste arguably our best weapon in the pairing of Sammon and Sharp who do seem to compliment each other.

I think we desperately need a player like Hammond to come in and help shore up our midfield. I had hoped Wallace might come in this season and partner Bash but it’s probably time to accept it just isn’t going to happen for him (he has a contract to the end of the season to prove me wrong and I hope he does but can’t see it). Then I’d like to see the front 4 that we saw finish the game on Saturday.

Until then, I’d have Coutts on one wing and Adams or Done on the other as that gives us the flexibility to move Coutts into CM and swith to 433 as and when required. Fact of the matter is there will be some games where 442 is more effective and others where 433 works better. It’s not always obvious which will be required until you see how the game is taking shape so being able to switch between the two surely represents our best option at present.

But fundamentally, we need to give Adkins time to put his team together. Next summer, he will be in a position to similar to that of Clough in 2014. Let's hope me makes a much better job of the recruitment than Clough did.
Great post.

Agree with all of that.

Well said. Absolutely sick of all the negativity on here. We lose a couple of games and the world is coming to an end. Get a grip people and give Adkins a chance, who the f... else would come here if you drive him away with the constant barrage of whingeing.

Well said. Absolutely sick of all the negativity on here. We lose a couple of games and the world is coming to an end. Get a grip people and give Adkins a chance, who the f... else would come here if you drive him away with the constant barrage of whingeing.

The majority of posts to me are well balanced and are not negative / whingeing , but a frustrated observation were we are going wrong . The bottom line , like it or like it not , the expectations at BDTBL are higher , than all the other league 1 clubs put together and a average of 20,000 home fans and 3000 away fans want / expect a result ( even if we lose we lose with effort trying to win ) .

The players have not got the pyhsical or mental strength to live up to the expectations , thats were the problem lays .
It is then up to the board and manager to do something about it . The biggest thing what is pissing fans off , is that all and sundry know the cause and effect , but nowts being done to resolve it .

Are fans expectations too high - NO

Are most fans understanding of the game low - NO

Fans have a right to have a go . It does not mean they don't rate Adkins or want him sacked , but something is not adding up at the lane , and its not me adding 2 + 2 and coming up with 5.

UTB

Adkins has more choice than supporters, 4 4 2 is not etched in stone, he can adjust, clearly the players struggle to implement it from game to game, centre midfield is continually over run exposing our porous defenders. The priority this year is all about winning games and achieving promotion, entertainment is secondary after this length of time in this division, so Nigel play to a style that suits the players not one the players are incapable of implementing.
I don't disagree with that but I wonder if NA thinks we'd be no more likely to go up playing three in midfield. Fact is we did that last season and were miles off.
Maybe he'd rather play more adventurous football knowing when he gets it right we'll enjoy it and start buzzing about watching us again.
Perhaps he thinks a 451, keep it tight, nick a goal strategy will guarantee you a play off place but isn't bold enough to make the autos.

Clough obviously thought different and he may be right but Adkins has done it, Clough hasn't so I put more weight on Adkins' view than Clough's.

Back
Top Bottom