"We have to get up this season"-Adkins

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Getting the Saints promoted once may have had an element of luck about it. Further promotions, IMO needed something more than luck. The Saints supporters in my daughter in law.s family would have Adkins back again.
Unfortunately there is no magic wand, I have my doubts whether any manager could get our current lot promoted. Some players do not have the stomach for the fight, for that is what it is, some do not have the special skills required and there is a collective lack of bottle..

good post, agree with all of that, and especially now I am coming round to the same conclusion about stomach for the fight. We need another Morgs, a leader on the pictch with some balls and aggression, a captain who they may be slightly afraid of to give them a kick up the arse.

Some of us (me included) urged caution when Adkins was signed - partly because he inherited a set of players bought to play a certain way and now expected to play a different ways.
Some of us wanted Clough to have another season (me included) not because he was good, but because it was his squad and "any" manager was going to struggle with them and Clough "may" have not been far away - even though the football was boring and methodical - it might, just might have got us out.
Adkins is now struggling to get Cloughs average players to play how he wants.
Personally, I think he will fail - not because I want him to fail, but because the players are not the right ones for (a) this division (b) to play how Adkins wants.
Adkins is becoming as belligerent as Clough with certain team selections and choices.

As for your comment - Adkins inherited a set of quality young players from what was regarded as the best youth development in the country, so you may actually be right. We all have to hope though that your comment is wrong, other wise we are well and truly..........stuffed.

UTB

I have got to say you did urge caution when Adkins was appointed . The words were that he is not a miricle worker.

Also although Clough had his failings , i am sure he would have resolved the issues , that are still inherent within the first team squad , and got us a system that would perhaps , get us promotion , due to being hard to beat ( as per Charlton the season they got promoted ), but shit to watch ( if you are winning who cares ) . However Clough got himself sacked , and in comes Adkins.

With Adkins we do have a well respected , good tactical manager , who at Southampton , with his staff , produce a production line of young players as Walcott, Bale , Oxlade Chamberline , Ward - Prouse , Shaw , etc.

He also got them promoted from league 1 to the premiership and was sacked , unbeaten , after i think ,11 games.

Nicola Cortese ( chairman ) wanted to take the club in a differant direction and thats were Potchettino came in , with the recomendation of Mourinho.( to be fair Southampton have gone from strength to strength.)

The post mortem of the blades and the cause of our problem , is Clough was building for league 1 and the championship at the same time , but fucked up himself as well as the club .

With Adkins , IMO we are 3 months behind first base , due to the fact that either , someone in the club , informed him the players were better than they really are ( hence they were all given a second chance ) , or Adkins honestly thought he could change average players into good players , with the system , we were to play. Either way , we have failed .

Adkins i believe has admitted he does not know his best side yet ( due to injuries to key players ) , which is a worry in its self .

This can go two ways - Success or failure . My view , Adkins has been shit on once by a board of directors , so it will not happen again . I have a feeling the Mr Nice Guy is over , and the players letting him down will be dropped and there contracts just let to run out .

New players on loan will come in , and the weak , spineless , so called proffesional footballers will be frozen out and no more . If the board do not back him to the hilt , with some drastic changes to both the playing and coaching staff , who have let him , club and supporters down , he will walk .

The gloves are off at BDTBL and my money is on Adkins as the winner.

UTB

I have got to say you did urge caution when Adkins was appointed . The words were that he is not a miricle worker.

Also although Clough had his failings , i am sure he would have resolved the issues , that are still inherent within the first team squad , and got us a system that would perhaps , get us promotion , due to being hard to beat ( as per Charlton the season they got promoted ), but shit to watch ( if you are winning who cares ) . However Clough got himself sacked , and in comes Adkins.

With Adkins we do have a well respected , good tactical manager , who at Southampton , with his staff , produce a production line of young players as Walcott, Bale , Oxlade Chamberline , Ward - Prouse , Shaw , etc.

He also got them promoted from league 1 to the premiership and was sacked , unbeaten , after i think ,11 games.

Nicola Cortese ( chairman ) wanted to take the club in a differant direction and thats were Potchettino came in , with the recomendation of Mourinho.( to be fair Southampton have gone from strength to strength.)

The post mortem of the blades and the cause of our problem , is Clough was building for league 1 and the championship at the same time , but fucked up himself as well as the club .

With Adkins , IMO we are 3 months behind first base , due to the fact that either , someone in the club , informed him the players were better than they really are ( hence they were all given a second chance ) , or Adkins honestly thought he could change average players into good players , with the system , we were to play. Either way , we have failed .

Adkins i believe has admitted he does not know his best side yet ( due to injuries to key players ) , which is a worry in its self .

This can go two ways - Success or failure . My view , Adkins has been shit on once by a board of directors , so it will not happen again . I have a feeling the Mr Nice Guy is over , and the players letting him down will be dropped and there contracts just let to run out .

New players on loan will come in , and the weak , spineless , so called proffesional footballers will be frozen out and no more . If the board do not back him to the hilt , with some drastic changes to both the playing and coaching staff , who have let him , club and supporters down , he will walk .

UTB
It's funny but, i've come to realise, that, too much, punctuation, is as bad as, none, at all.

It's funny but, i've come to realise, that, too much, punctuation, is as bad as, none, at all.

Long winded , and grammer shit , but the point is , whatever Adkins failings are this season , we cannot sack him.

Majority of the players will be shipped out next season , but unfortunatley , we are stuck with them , and Adkins cannot make a silk purse out of a pigs ear.

UTB

If we fail this season, Adkins will probably be sacked, and he'll find it difficult to get another job outside the fourth tier. This after being seen as one of the top managers in the country and a serious contender for the England job. It certainly matters to him.

I'm sure having several million in the bank will soften the blow. Unlike us poor cunts who've had yet another weekend ruined.

Long winded , and grammer shit , but the point is , whatever Adkins failings are this season , we cannot sack him.

Majority of the players will be shipped out next season , but unfortunatley , we are stuck with them , and Adkins cannot make a silk purse out of a pigs ear.

UTB

Adkins will get a lot of grief for things which aren't his fault. A manager cannot decimate his own squad without replacing the rejects. He's stuck with these players and has to publicly back many of them to succeed whether he believes in them or not. It's an ugly position to be in.

There's no value in lamenting the fact he didn't ship them all out before any had actually played for him. That could have been part of the board's remit or his own mistake, but either way it's done will take time to change.

Yet more time....

Getting the Saints promoted once may have had an element of luck about it. Further promotions, IMO needed something more than luck. The Saints supporters in my daughter in law.s family would have Adkins back again.
Unfortunately there is no magic wand, I have my doubts whether any manager could get our current lot promoted. Some players do not have the stomach for the fight, for that is what it is, some do not have the special skills required and there is a collective lack of bottle..

And there are Blades fans who would have Warnock back. They - and people like Adkins and Clough - don't realise that the game at our level has evolved greatly in the last 5 years. 'Nice' 'tippy-tappy' sideways rubbish doesn't cut it against hardened, aggressive pros who we are facing every game.

I'm not going to denigrate NA's achievements at the Saints. But they realised that he's gone as far as he was going to go (a perennial failing in English football) and replaced him.

Unlike us poor cunts who've had yet another weekend ruined.

This shit stopped ruining my weekend a long time ago. I suggest people stop taking something they have no control over so seriously and get on with living, there is a shitload of stuff out there you can control and do something about that doesn't require this ridiculous level of financial and emotional investment.

Saturday : We lost, I shrugged, its not new and its not something I have any say over. I'll be fucked if I am going to get bent out of shape about it. We will play and lose again. If we win then I am happy.

And there are Blades fans who would have Warnock back. They - and people like Adkins and Clough - don't realise that the game at our level has evolved greatly in the last 5 years. 'Nice' 'tippy-tappy' sideways rubbish doesn't cut it against hardened, aggressive pros who we are facing every game.

I'm not going to denigrate NA's achievements at the Saints. But they realised that he's gone as far as he was going to go (a perennial failing in English football) and replaced him.
So you don't think Adkins is up to the job? Because he hasn't won a promotion from this league for four years?

This shit stopped ruining my weekend a long time ago. I suggest people stop taking something they have no control over so seriously and get on with living, there is a shitload of stuff out there you can control and do something about that doesn't require this ridiculous level of financial and emotional investment.

Saturday : We lost, I shrugged, its not new and its not something I have any say over. I'll be fucked if I am going to get bent out of shape about it. We will play and lose again. If we win then I am happy.

But that's the uniqueness of football. We're stuck with it. If Sainsburys fuck you off, you go to Tesco. If Corbin talks shite, you refuse to vote for him. Football owners realise this and that's why they are prepared to 'invest' (AKA set their own level of interest rates) in football. Their 'client base' is loyal, largely non-complaining and ridiculously stupid.

So you don't think Adkins is up to the job? Because he hasn't won a promotion from this league for four years?

I never said that. I'm becoming increasingly doubtful of Adkins ability to do the job because - like Clough - he fails to see the strikingly obvious. People like Bergen, and many others, eloquently state what is wrong in terms of tactics, recruitment etc. Are they all wrong?

I don't buy it that the game has moved in without him realising it. He's a top professional who lives and breathes it. Do you really think us scrotes are aware of something that he isn't?

What is right is that our current squad isn't suitable for the third division as is, and that it takes longer than people like to change that. The only way is downwards for most of our players so they are going nowhere, and even a miracle worker can't alter that.

UTB

This is exactly how I deal with it. I've aclimatised the young un as well. He used to get down but now, like me we both know there are so many more things that are more important and serious than football. It doesn't mean we don't care if we lose or makes us any less Bladey Bladey than any other supporter but it is something we both love doing and always will do - support SUFC through thick and thin!

UTB!

I don't buy it that the game has moved in without him realising it. He's a top professional who lives and breathes it. Do you really think us scrotes are aware of something that he isn't?

What is right is that our current squad isn't suitable for the third division as is, and that it takes longer than people like to change that. The only way is downwards for most of our players so they are going nowhere, and even a miracle worker can't alter that.

UTB
I don't believe it either and I certainly don't believe that the game has magically evolved into one where 3rd division players are suddenly big bruisers from nowhere.

If I had to make a criticism of tactics, it's that 4-4-2 is so outdated in today's football, a modern 3 in the middle will always overrun it. Coupled that with 1 of our 2 being Baxter, and, well it's no real surprise that we're struggling.

Clough quickly recognised that we don't have players for 2 in the middle to plat 442. I hoped after 1st half at Bradford new Nigel had realised this when he put Baxter on to help Reid & Basham. Obviously not & it should have been apparent after the first game.

To keep making the same basic error until you get your players in borders on the suicidal

When Collins disappeared for allegedly telling a highly rated center half he should leave to further his career is no different to our board selling a highly rated forward so he can further his career elsewhere. There is no ambition at the club & won't be until we start signing hungry young lg1+2 players who want to win & dump the idea of signing championship squad fillers on their way down the leagues, looking to top up their pension.

Listening to his interview on Saturday he was royally pissed off and there will be no more Mr Nice Guy.

We shouted as loud as we could that the players he's iving another chance would let him down. I just hope he's realised soon enough to keep his job and our hopes of promotion. It seems the penny has dropped with McEveley, only Collins, Howard, Flynn and the rest to go.

I never said that. I'm becoming increasingly doubtful of Adkins ability to do the job because - like Clough - he fails to see the strikingly obvious. People like Bergen, and many others, eloquently state what is wrong in terms of tactics, recruitment etc. Are they all wrong?
Anyone can criticise. I could list a number of things I think he could do better but I'm not going to. Those who want to criticise can work it out for themselves. Finding solutions is the issue and Adkins hasn't been given a blank cheque.
He has to work with what he has, and what we will allow him to bring in.
And none of us are professional managers so yes, it's possible that we are wrong at times.
We know we need players in certain positions, Adkins knows this. It's down to others at the club to find the money to bring in the players, and to do deals. That isn't the manager's job and hasn't been since George Graham and Cloughie's dad were caught skimming.
It doesn't matter how good your tactics are if your players are spineless and weak.

A half decent manager would have signed 2 CB's instead of 2 strikers. It might have masked our disastrous squad a bit more.

We badly needed strikers as well as CB's. And midfielders. Again, testament to how catastrophic Clough's time here was that even with the number of players he signed we still needed 5 or 6 signings who were actually good enough in order to mount a decent challenge this season.

Part of Adkins' job is to sort out the mess of a squad left by Clough. He absolutely must be working with his hands tied behind his back when it comes to wage bill/squad size. Being honest and working hard is all well and good, but if you're not good enough then you're not good enough, and there's plenty around the first team who just aren't. How do you move cack players on good wages on to somewhere else? Few players will want to move from Bramall Lane and a decent wage to a pay cut and, for example, Vale Park or Gresty Road.

If he'd signed two CB's instead of two strikers, the season would've began with us being better at the back but still very lightweight in the middle of the park and reliant on Higdon and McNulty for our goals.

And Jay McEveley would still have started at left-back.

This squad will take a long, long time to sort out.

We badly needed strikers as well as CB's. And midfielders. Again, testament to how catastrophic Clough's time here was that even with the number of players he signed we still needed 5 or 6 signings who were actually good enough in order to mount a decent challenge this season.

Part of Adkins' job is to sort out the mess of a squad left by Clough. He absolutely must be working with his hands tied behind his back when it comes to wage bill/squad size. Being honest and working hard is all well and good, but if you're not good enough then you're not good enough, and there's plenty around the first team who just aren't. How do you move cack players on good wages on to somewhere else? Few players will want to move from Bramall Lane and a decent wage to a pay cut and, for example, Vale Park or Gresty Road.

If he'd signed two CB's instead of two strikers, the season would've began with us being better at the back but still very lightweight in the middle of the park and reliant on Higdon and McNulty for our goals.

Exactly Tom. This 'why did we sign strikers not defenders' shit is a proper red herring. We needed both. There seems to be a suggestion that despite there being two strikers NA wanted available to sign immediately we should have waited until we'd signed some defenders before we signed them.
That our 'priorities' would magically fall in line with the availability of the players we need.

Absolutely spot on. The line that it was all about center backs has been repeated so often it's now considered fact - without a second though to the uproar we'd have if McNulty and Higdon had been our front two.

UTB

UTB

hope you're right!

Back
Top Bottom