Tonights Corporate Meeting With The Chairman

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Thanks for the OP Alien. Much appreciated

I know it's your interpretation of last nights events, but at least it makes me feel a little easier and perhaps a tadge more optimistic regards next season. I was coming to the conclusion that we as a club are absolutely and utterly fked!

McCabe set the tone apparently with his first forum. The statements he made, the responses he gave seemed to reflect a club in turmoil and whilst that may still be the case, I will at least sleep a little easier for 3 months until the new season arrives before I then probably start crying all over again

I won't 58, I'll need some Prozac rather than a few platitudes from honest Kev. I have a great deal of respect for him and his passion for the club BUT, in two forums he has not pulled his punches about everyone's failings apart from the man who made the decision to employ them all. Has he said he is part of the problem at any stage? He is obviously a brilliant businessman but is he a football club chairman? Remember the old saying don't make your hobby your business.

Let's not forget he took us from the PL to where we are now and can only blame bad luck as the cause. And before everyone howls he took us up to the PL no he didn't, Warnock did but I will give him credit for employing Warnock.

I would have SOME sympathy if BEFORE we sold we had someone in to replace them if this has to be the way.

Selling Maguire Murphy at stupid times in the last 2 years has cost us a higher league finish on both occasions.

At least we don't have a key player to sell now they've all gone!

Oh, forgetting Billy, bugger

Just got home from a meeting held by Kevin McCabe with the corporate side (the prawn sandwich brigade)
It was a very good meeting and he dodged no questions. In fairness to him he was excellent.
He spoke like a fan and without mentioning names he was just as upset as the rest of us with how some of this seasons signings have worked out, in fact he was pissed off.
It was particular obvious how he felt when he said Del Geary was the new under 18s manager. He described him as a five foot nothing with heart and passion who can out jump a certain forward. He slated more or less every signing made apart from Billy and wishes the rest of the players had half of his passion for the club.
Yes there will be new players coming and a lot going it would certainly appear NO ones job at the club is safe by any means. It appears as though as many as eight first team players are off. And yes some youth will come in as well.
There is no rift with the Prince, none at all. His money is still coming in and it will be game changing when we get into the Championship.
Mr Jim has gone and it seemed a sense of good riddance as McCabe hated the twitter and Facebook lark that Mr Jim seemed to enjoy. McCabe stated it is no way for a co chairman of a football club to behave. There is someone new to replace him and Selahattin is still around. McCabe is meeting him this week and has a meeting penciled in with the prince for next week.
He gave a floor vote to everyone who sits in a box as to whether or not they would like the 10% discount given to season ticket holders. Everyone voted against it apart from a dozen pensioners who have some sort of a season ticket in there.
He said on Adkins that he interviewed many potential managers and Nigel was leaps and bounds above the rest and he thought he'd employed the man who would take us up this season (didn't we all).
Clough went for none football reasons.
I can't think of anything else at the minute.
Oh I can. His view on Ched playing for us again, which is ..............................

Blimey is this a spoof ?.

1. Point out he has a contract (which he's just signed)

2. Grow a backbone and tell him he can't have a transfer.

McCabe is a businessman. He won a great legal victory on Tevez when many people thought it was impossible. He stood up to the authorities - but he can't stand up to Jamie Murphy's agent? Come on. Jamie Murphy's contract is a piddling little business deal compared to the deals McCabe is involved in on the property side.

There are times to sell. That was not one of them. Our best player was sold, when it wasn't necessary, and the goals and assists coming from midfield were halved in a stroke. It was a dumb thing to do. There was no reasonable replacement for him. Martin Woolford has been a disaster.

I am sick of people defending this policy. It is arguably the number one reason we are where we are. The only thing to rival it is the managerial merry go round.

I know McCabe will never understand this. I know he thinks there's nothing he can do. Until he changes his view we are going nowhere.

I remember reading that Clough had said he thought Adams could step up into Murphy's shoes

I won't 58, I'll need some Prozac rather than a few platitudes from honest Kev. I have a great deal of respect for him and his passion for the club BUT, in two forums he has not pulled his punches about everyone's failings apart from the man who made the decision to employ them all. Has he said he is part of the problem at any stage? He is obviously a brilliant businessman but is he a football club chairman? Remember the old saying don't make your hobby your business.

Let's not forget he took us from the PL to where we are now and can only blame bad luck as the cause. And before everyone howls he took us up to the PL no he didn't, Warnock did but I will give him credit for employing Warnock.

At least we don't have a key player to sell now they've all gone!

Oh, forgetting Billy, bugger
McCabe has acknowledged, he has made mistakes and his mistakes are still costing him.
At last week's forum he also acknowledged him being based in Belgium had a major factor in us failing he is back so hopefully he will keep his finger on the pulse

McCabe has acknowledged, he has made mistakes and his mistakes are still costing him.
At last week's forum he also acknowledged him being based in Belgium had a major factor in us failing he is back so hopefully he will keep his finger on the pulse

When you say McCabe is back Finlay, in what capacity? Has he actually moved residence, lock, stock and barrel back to the UK?

I remember Clough saying Connor Sammon was just what we needed ;)

Yes, perhaps for Clough it would've worked differently with Adams and Sammon, however there are plenty of threads to discuss those points. The point being made was about the sale of Murphy and the justification for doing so. Hence, raising the comment about Clough apparently saying that Adams was ready to replace murphy.

Was he pissed off with the club selling Murphy? Because that's the most damaging personnel decision the club's made in the last 12 months by a country mile.
One thing we did show this season was an attacking purpose and how them Murphy goals would have come in handy never mind the assists.
We would have walked a top six place.
I'm not wearing that bollocks about he wanted to go.
If you want to buy all that nicey picy talk from Mcabe do so but the bottom line is he is an asset seller

When you say McCabe is back Finlay, in what capacity? Has he actually moved residence, lock, stock and barrel back to the UK?
Back to see who'll take young Che offerus'hands.

That new yachts not going to pay for itself. :) (I'm joking Sean.)

Last edited:
I'm not sure I want the Chairman of the football club I support 'talking like a fan'. Most fans are irrational.

I'd much rather he sat down and formulated a coherent plan to achieve our primary objective of getting out of L1 rather than sit and hope his luck changes whilst promising 'jam tomorrow'.

It always makes me wonder where this info is. Can we have a link please and proof?
There is no link and players wages have never been available in public. A friend was at Coventry's executive box last Saturday and was told by someone high up at Coventry that none of their players are on £5000 a week

They aren't inanimate objects. But most of them will play over sulking. Rhodes did. Beckford did. Jagielka did. Others have.

And the player complains in the dressing room about not being allowed to move? You think this will make him popular with his teammates? That he wants to desert them?

Anyway, we won't know how easy it is until we actually try it.
Many players have been treating SUFC "as a stepping stone". What can you do?

There is no link and players wages have never been available in public. A friend was at Coventry's executive box last Saturday and was told by someone high up at Coventry that none of their players are on £5000 a week
I suspect you're not far wrong but I'm curious where you have got the info about the 12 United players on more than £5000 a week.

They've thrown many millions in failing to get out of Div 3, so yes, why on earth wouldn't they spend more to get into the Premier League.

The most notable outlays have largely been covered by cup runs and player sales, such as the new pitches and Brayford. The rest has been spent quite mysteriously, even when you factor in the wage bill. 'Running costs' are one thing, but there's been no convincing investment at any one time, certainly not in the playing squad (the brainless Brayford splurge was a one off and only one player). That's not to say they've not spent enough to get us up though, but what 'should' be enough doesn't apply to this club in its current state. No doubt they'd spend more in the Championship, but at that level it'd require a lot to be 'game changing', and I'd be extremely surprised if we got anything of the sort. It's a very easy thing to promise though - firstly it's something that might not happen, and if it did then after the absolute shock of promotion we'd probably make very little of any failure to keep that promise.

What, you mean there isn't a 'link' which states "THESE PLAYERS ARE 100% DEFINITELY ON THESE WAGES' ???

But the issue with Murphy wasn't money. He wanted to play in the Championship to better his chances of an international call-up. Pray tell, in our position, what were we supposed to do about that?

I'll have a go...

"Jamie, you're under contract, you've only recently signed that contract, you're a key player, we're not selling you unless we get an offer that's too good to turn down. If we're not in the top two by January, we'll reconsider. We will be in the top two though because I actually have a bit of ambition and am going to invest in the squad further in addition to keeping you.
In the meantime though you have nothing at all to gain by giving any less than 100% or complaining.
We will go out of our way to make sure Gordon Strachan and his staff can see your performances but you should also remember that Scotland are in no way guaranteed to qualify for the Euros, and you have many of your best years left in front of you."

Could even offer him increased performance bonuses as a further incentive not to slacken off.

Last edited:
And then he'd say "Burra wanna play in't Championship" and then you'd get him and his agent being cunts until you let him go. For fuck all money.

Many players have been treating SUFC "as a stepping stone". What can you do?

That's the culture of the club, get a good 'un out of the academy and then flog 'em.

Never have I heard from anyone at the club say the aim of the academy is to generate 300+ appearance first teamers, it's always sell to fund the fucking thing.

What is the point of the academy?

And then he'd say "Burra wanna play in't Championship" and then you'd get him and his agent being cunts until you let him go. For fuck all money.

Murphy always seemed like the last player to act like a cunt and kick up a stink. He seems to be the quiet, professional type and Jim Phipps even called him a 'wonderful man'!

He gets shit thrown his way because he won't come out and admit he fucked up many decisions overs the years. Blaming luck all the time is tiresome and we the fans don't want to hear about how unlucky we have been.

We want a plan for the future that will get us going again, not more of if it wasn't for Tevez, Ched etc etc.

Quite. Strip away the bullshit and this is why we find ourselves on an extended stay in Division Three. There may be others that I've forgotten, but this constant selling - and not adequately replacing any 'talent' we have - is the inevitable result. As if losing these players isn't enough, we get the usual poor timing of the sales, the 'undisclosed' and stuff like Beattie's 'flu'. I've only really included post the 2009 play-off final v Burnley as this was when McCabe literally threw the baby out with the bathwater. Add up the (reported) transfer fees and less than £20-odd million won't be as much as we've lost since 2009. It doesn't include players like Kilgallon, Quinn, Paddy and - yes - Monty. Players who would walk into the present 'team'.

And it doesn't include our inability to secure much-loved loan players like Conor Coady, Matt Phillips and Kyle Bartley.

Read it and weep.

upload_2016-5-4_10-10-6.png

Not sure why he'd be more forthcoming and provide more positive answers in a less publicised meeting.

The bit about investing 'when' we get into the Championship is absurd and foolish, and probably even a lie. How can they not realise we need substantial investment just to get into the Championship? Not to mention the fact you can build the core of a decent Championship side while still in League One.

The reasons for Clough's sacking must have been football related in some way, if not direct football performance reasons. Insisting on doing it his way for example? Refusing to change? Arguments over past signings or potential signings? Arguments over levels of authority?
And why am I not surprised to hear about talk of a giant ego...

At least it sounds a bit more promising about incomings, and 8 of the current squad departing would be a decent start.

I am holiday at the moment but logged in purely to like this comment and agree wholeheartedly with its sentiments.

As to what McCabe said well as always I will belive it when I see it, he has after all lied to us before.

Oh and Clough, ego? Well I never!

Last edited:
Conduct negotiations in a businesslike fashion and grow a backbone.

Not a chance. Nice guy though he appears, McCabe has been utterly weak in his choice and handling of managerial appointments. He was star-struck over Robson, didn't realise that Adams was way out his depth, thought Weir could 'learn his trade' at the most high-profile job in the lower divisions, let Clough get away with murder with over-spending on dross and getting jobs for half his family and seems to be allowing Akins the chance to 'build his own empire.' Judging by McCabe comments, the removal vans for Adkins can't be far off, then it's back to square one.

Just got home from a meeting held by Kevin McCabe with the corporate side (the prawn sandwich brigade)
He gave a floor vote to everyone who sits in a box as to whether or not they would like the 10% discount given to season ticket holders. Everyone voted against it apart from a dozen pensioners who have some sort of a season ticket in there.

What's with the opposition to cheaper season tickets? McCabe had to do something like this or watch season ticket sales drop to about 10,000 or less.

Also on the mood towards Adkins from McCabe it worries me now that Adkins is about to be sacked. I still haven't seen or heard evidence that anyone has directly asked the question whether Adkins is to stay. I guess he could have gone by now had the board wanted to act, now that there's nothing to play for.

We shouldn't need to spend too much to get out of L1, but in reality, we will. Because we never get value for money. Unless the club commit to real change when it comes to scouting and recruitment and start to plan properly, that won't change.

I know it's not new but hearing it again confirms that they're still going with that line. It's probably a lie because it's a very easy promise to make. Could you seriously see them suddenly throwing millions at it if we went up?

I didn't say I 'know better' but how can it not be football related in some way? Football has to be at the basis of some of it at least.

I can see why you'd get better quality answers but not more positive answers. Why would he suggest only 'one or two' players would be coming in at the fans forum before suggesting more would be coming in at tonight's?

No idea why stating my opinion and questioning the odd thing makes it unacceptable to me.

Maybe Clough asked McCabe if he was mentally ill or about his sexual preferences? Maybe he went on and on about it.

That wouldn't be football related would it?

Back
Top Bottom