Tonights Corporate Meeting With The Chairman

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

KM's criticisms of the football based administrative staff cannot be elaborated on for legal reasons. I wouldn't really risk expanding, beyond saying, that they weren't working in the football club's best interest. They of course left the club much richer than when they joined...
When you see this reticence to assign football specific roles to "football men", it's important to bare this in mind.

Not sure why he'd be more forthcoming and provide more positive answers in a less publicised meeting.

The bit about investing 'when' we get into the Championship is absurd and foolish, and probably even a lie. How can they not realise we need substantial investment just to get into the Championship? Not to mention the fact you can build the core of a decent Championship side while still in League One.

The reasons for Clough's sacking must have been football related in some way, if not direct football performance reasons. Insisting on doing it his way for example? Refusing to change? Arguments over past signings or potential signings? Arguments over levels of authority?
And why am I not surprised to hear about talk of a giant ego...

At least it sounds a bit more promising about incomings, and 8 of the current squad departing would be a decent start.

You said we didn't need to spend fortunes to get out of this division. Now it's "substantial investment required"

The "major investment when promoted" isn't new and has been stated a few times. Why is it " probably a lie" ?

McCabe it appears says he was sacked for non football reasons but you know better.

As I said earlier, when there's not a drunken twat shouting as I witnessed at an earlier one or mutterings from the audience because of pre disposed "ideas" that McCabe us actually making or stealing money from the club you are more likely to get meaningful answers from him, much as you do face to face, but that means you've got to listen first before telling him he's useless despite never having run a football club or any husiness forvthat matter .

Reading the OP he's clearly been more forthcoming but that's not acceptable because it doesn't fit with what you believe. It's a wonder he doesn't just disappear to Belgium and let the whole thing go under.

I get something quite different from hearing that the Prince will put serious money in after we get promoted - a feeling of "jam tomorrow".

Anyone can say that. I too will put serious money in after we get promoted. See? It's a platitude.

Easier than focusing on the actual problem in front of you I suppose.

Serious money in.?.......Who and when will the first valuable player be sold with no replacement........Sorry i forgot....Silly me... The academy......Groundhog day again.

Because he is a business man. Thats what he does and always has.
But he,s a blade with 18000 every week .............. Next

Next what? Let's not have a businessman in charge then, let's get someone who's never even had a job. Be a breath of fresh air.

18000 have been turning up to support the club not the chairman and it's costing him millions. His fault yes, but he's still pumping it in.

You said we didn't need to spend fortunes to get out of this division. Now it's "substantial investment required"

The "major investment when promoted" isn't new and has been stated a few times. Why is it " probably a lie" ?

McCabe it appears says he was sacked for non football reasons but you know better.

As I said earlier, when there's not a drunken twat shouting as I witnessed at an earlier one or mutterings from the audience because of pre disposed "ideas" that McCabe us actually making or stealing money from the club you are more likely to get meaningful answers from him, much as you do face to face, but that means you've got to listen first before telling him he's useless despite never having run a football club or any husiness forvthat matter .

Reading the OP he's clearly been more forthcoming but that's not acceptable because it doesn't fit with what you believe. It's a wonder he doesn't just disappear to Belgium and let the whole thing go under.
Well said,Sean.

Next what? Let's not have a businessman in charge then, let's get someone who's never even had a job. Be a breath of fresh air.

18000 have been turning up to support the club not the chairman and it's costing him millions. His fault yes, but he's still pumping it in.

How do you know? No one gets involved with football clubs to make a loss.

We shouldn't need to spend too much to get out of L1, but in reality, we will. Because we never get value for money. Unless the club commit to real change when it comes to scouting and recruitment and start to plan properly, that won't change.

I know it's not new but hearing it again confirms that they're still going with that line. It's probably a lie because it's a very easy promise to make. Could you seriously see them suddenly throwing millions at it if we went up?

I didn't say I 'know better' but how can it not be football related in some way? Football has to be at the basis of some of it at least.

I can see why you'd get better quality answers but not more positive answers. Why would he suggest only 'one or two' players would be coming in at the fans forum before suggesting more would be coming in at tonight's?

No idea why stating my opinion and questioning the odd thing makes it unacceptable to me.

Thanks for your post AlienWoodward. Apologies for the over analysis of your comments here but with regard to the following statement : -

'He said on Adkins he interviewed many potential managers and Nigel was leaps and bounds above the rest and he thought he'd employed the man to take us up this season'

Did that came across as a ringing endorsement of confidence in Adkins for the future?

One issue I have been banging on about is the poor communication in recent years from the club. I hope the recent Fans Forum and last nights Corporate Forum will be the start of a more open, honest and transparent approach in the future. I realise many of us will link these with the directors / owners having a concerned eye on season ticket sales but at least it's a start. Kevin McCabe is the best guy to host these meetings - his apparent opinion of Facebook / Twitter matches mine.

So i suppose the team of free transfers and loans that are expected to get us up will be on one year contracts ?

Better do the open top bus before july 1st then

'He said on Adkins he interviewed many potential managers and Nigel was leaps and bounds above the rest and he thought he'd employed the man to take us up this season'

Did that came across as a ringing endorsement of confidence in Adkins for the future?
No not at all. He said it in a way that meant he can't believe how badly it has turned out, he certainly didn't expect it to end like this (who did).
There were a few calls for Adkins to be dismissed and some in favour of keeping him.

Why not invest money now in the 'Championship' dream and win the league at a canter and then you don't need a complete rebuild when you go up?

Just a thought.
Because its extremely unlikely that players in their prime aren't really going to waste their careers by dropping to the third division, even for a season

The players we can attract down here are ageing, young 'with potential' or players at the right age, but with issues (for example injury prone) or coming from Scotland ;)

He spoke like a fan and without mentioning names he was just as upset as the rest of us with how some of this seasons signings have worked out, in fact he was pissed off.

Was he pissed off with the club selling Murphy? Because that's the most damaging personnel decision the club's made in the last 12 months by a country mile.

If we're serious about getting out of this league, we need to be recruiting a few Championship-standard players now. Otherwise we'll be straight back down. I don't think any investment will be as "game-changing" as McCabe thinks. An awful lot of Championship teams are spending big chasing the premiership dream, many of them with parachute payments we can't hope to match.
I'm not a particular fan of Twitter/Facebook myself, but it's the 21st century - you can't put your head in the sand and pretend they don't exist. At least Jim tried to engage with the fans - we've not seen or heard anything from the prince for months.

Was he pissed off with the club selling Murphy? Because that's the most damaging personnel decision the club's made in the last 12 months by a country mile.

But the issue with Murphy wasn't money. He wanted to play in the Championship to better his chances of an international call-up. Pray tell, in our position, what were we supposed to do about that?

Can we conclude that when the season ends,we will have seen the last of sammon,Hammond and woolford?

But the issue with Murphy wasn't money. He wanted to play in the Championship to better his chances of an international call-up. Pray tell, in our position, what were we supposed to do about that?

1. Point out he has a contract (which he's just signed)

2. Grow a backbone and tell him he can't have a transfer.

McCabe is a businessman. He won a great legal victory on Tevez when many people thought it was impossible. He stood up to the authorities - but he can't stand up to Jamie Murphy's agent? Come on. Jamie Murphy's contract is a piddling little business deal compared to the deals McCabe is involved in on the property side.

There are times to sell. That was not one of them. Our best player was sold, when it wasn't necessary, and the goals and assists coming from midfield were halved in a stroke. It was a dumb thing to do. There was no reasonable replacement for him. Martin Woolford has been a disaster.

I am sick of people defending this policy. It is arguably the number one reason we are where we are. The only thing to rival it is the managerial merry go round.

I know McCabe will never understand this. I know he thinks there's nothing he can do. Until he changes his view we are going nowhere.

Thanks for the OP Alien. Much appreciated

I know it's your interpretation of last nights events, but at least it makes me feel a little easier and perhaps a tadge more optimistic regards next season. I was coming to the conclusion that we as a club are absolutely and utterly fked!

McCabe set the tone apparently with his first forum. The statements he made, the responses he gave seemed to reflect a club in turmoil and whilst that may still be the case, I will at least sleep a little easier for 3 months until the new season arrives before I then probably start crying all over again

McCabe is a businessman. He won a great legal victory on Tevez when many people thought it was impossible. He stood up to the authorities - but he can't stand up to Jamie Murphy's agent? Come on. Jamie Murphy's contract is a piddling little business deal compared to the deals McCabe is involved in on the property side.

There are times to sell. That was not one of them. Our best player was sold, when it wasn't necessary, and the goals and assists coming from midfield were halved in a stroke. It was a dumb thing to do. There was no reasonable replacement for him. Martin Woolford has been a disaster.

I am sick of people defending this policy. It is arguably the number one reason we are where we are. The only thing to rival it is the managerial merry go round.

I know McCabe will never understand this. I know he thinks there's nothing he can do. Until he changes his view we are going nowhere.

I would have SOME sympathy if BEFORE we sold we had someone in to replace them if this has to be the way.

Selling Maguire Murphy at stupid times in the last 2 years has cost us a higher league finish on both occasions.

Could you seriously see them suddenly throwing millions at it if we went up?

They've thrown many millions in failing to get out of Div 3, so yes, why on earth wouldn't they spend more to get into the Premier League.

How do you know? No one gets involved with football clubs to make a loss.

Actually, the great majority of football owners, who've done their research, do get involved with the expectation of making a loss, as has been the case through time immemorial. If you gain access to the treasure trove of the Premier League there is the prospect of an owner making real money but even then it's far easier to lose a fortune.

And when that player starts to complain in the dressing room....?

People act as though players are inanimate objects who will just do as you tell them. It isn't that easy.

None of Coventry players are on £5000 a week, we have 12 earning £5000 or more. Having a high wage bill doesn't guarantee promotion!
It always makes me wonder where this info is. Can we have a link please and proof?

It's not unreasonable to suggest that players who command a high wage in an insignificant league, lack the incentive to put in a shift on the pitch.

This could be the nub of the problem and another reason why signing older players from higher leagues is, generally speaking, a bad idea.

The Coventry, Walsall and Barnsley home games (there may be one or two others) stand out because we saw raw commitment for 90 minutes; something we should take for granted every game. Limitations in technical ability is forgivable - a lack of application never is.

People act as though players are inanimate objects who will just do as you tell them. It isn't that easy.

They aren't inanimate objects. But most of them will play over sulking. Rhodes did. Beckford did. Jagielka did. Others have.

And the player complains in the dressing room about not being allowed to move? You think this will make him popular with his teammates? That he wants to desert them?

Anyway, we won't know how easy it is until we actually try it.

They certainly have been inanimate and it seems unable to process what people tell them.
Thanks for the tap in;).

If the player performs poorly on purpose or otherwise, his value drops and chances of playing in the Championship/for Scotland are diminished. It is possible to keep players in this league, see Leeds with Beckford and Huddersfield with Rhodes.

Back
Top Bottom