This is what we are up against

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

It’s great if you’re part of the big spending I’m sure Newcastle fans are loving the quality coming through the door, it’s shite when you’re not.

I’m jealous, I’d love to see us spending decent money & see some good players come through the door.

Its all about perspective
When gibbs white pea rolled his pen to samba it should have signalled an exodus of talent from the lane and a vast reduction of the wage bill but that didnt happen

The owners gambled and we kept the squad together and with the manager keeping his head when the most entitled ( strangely ) and miserable fan base in english football were losing theirs and we achieved something pretty incredible

By rights we should be starting next season about par with the pigs in lower mid championship mediocirity which for me would be hard to take

So yeah its all about perspective

The best job in the world... even though the evidence is overwhelming that happiness comes from a fulfilling purpose with meaning and a sense of accomplishment. However great it may sound, getting paid stupid money for doing fuck all often results in misery. Even for successful elite sportspeople, getting paid insane money in their 20s and 30s leads to high rates of depression & alcohol / drug problems in their 40s and 50s.

There was a video of Mcburnie showing off his big fancy house an there was one big room where he said something like "I don't think I've ever been in this room! Imagine having a house so big you don't even go in some of the rooms", this from a millionaire 23 year old, I have to say I just found that really sad and a bit depressing rather than envious.

That's what I tell myself, anyway.

Think I could cope but don't take my word for it!

At least we can hang on to the belief that it is still a sport for the working class,played by loyal millionaires who kiss the badge as proof……….cynical ?

. Very sad really but Sheffield United and especially Sheffield don't project themselves with any positivity. Sad.

Guess part of their due diligence will be to read this forum

We’ve only 1 decent player and he’s been sold for a tenner
Rest of squad are shite, apart from Berge who’s sometimes less shite but we’re sellin him anorl
Trying grounds a pikeys camp site
Manager should be league 1
Fans have their own team down before the team have played a friendly/signed someone/gone bust
Can’t park in B&Q anymore
Ground has a hotel in it that resembles a Chernobyl ibis
Prince is the only bog roll man to be skint after covid
They share a city with a club who have shirts in bars in turkey

Fucked.

Given the amount of clubs who have been completely screwed after being relegated, I wonder how long it will be until a big club goes bust?

If the Saudis continue signing world class players at their peak rather than has beens on a last payday that might calm things down. If it dosen't I'd love to see football become unsustainable and completely collapse in on itself.
It's long since ceased to be a sport so would be no loss. Hopefully we would continue to exist and frankly I'd be happy watching us at any level.

The best job in the world... even though the evidence is overwhelming that happiness comes from a fulfilling purpose with meaning and a sense of accomplishment. However great it may sound, getting paid stupid money for doing fuck all often results in misery. Even for successful elite sportspeople, getting paid insane money in their 20s and 30s leads to high rates of depression & alcohol / drug problems in their 40s and 50s.

There was a video of Mcburnie showing off his big fancy house an there was one big room where he said something like "I don't think I've ever been in this room! Imagine having a house so big you don't even go in some of the rooms", this from a millionaire 23 year old, I have to say I just found that really sad and a bit depressing rather than envious.

That's what I tell myself, anyway.
My grandmother had a room we never went in she lived at Foxhill same but not the same

Wow. Insane numbers.

A couple of thoughts. Say 80% of that wage bill accounts for a 30 player 1st team squad, then their average wage is £84k a week. I guess that's what the OP is getting at.

The other interesting thing on those numbers is turnover. At £181m ( I think that is the COVID year so probably £200m in a normal year), they have £40-50m more revenue than the blades in a like for like Premier League year.

It would be really interesting to see how Everton and the like generate that, as that would be a gap the blades should try to close. I'm guessing it's made up of

1 corporate hospitality and enhanced matchday offers
2 sponsorships (shirts, training ground , stadium naming etc)
3 Match day revenue
4 ????
What's happened is that the top clubs have led a crusade that has bled the supporters and played on their loyalty. It's shit and cynical, I'm glad we don't appear as yet to be chasing every pound completely regardless of the divide it creates between the supporters and the club. Supporters and customers are not equivalent terms.

Surely Forest can sell their players to Olympiakos for a fortune and then loan them back.

All this and yet the game keeps on growing, even to the point where FIFA has to ban the big world type clubs from forming their own leagues.
Add to this the rise of other sports,- Rugby, ( League & Union ) Ice Hockey, Basket ball, Women Football etc.. etc., Where's it all going to end,?

UK football at the highest levels looks close to reaching max organic domestic growth soon. The TV deals indicate that the British market is now saturated. We are being charged up the ass already and they'll struggle to extract more.The latest deals have targeted foreign broadcasting growth, as the scope for growth here is limited. Never say never, but broadcasting revenues don't look like increasing too much in real terms under the current model. Hence the push to streaming being suggested in some quarters. That would suggest that things will plateau financially unless another form of income is found.

A lot of clubs have built or expanded stadiums already, especially at the highest level, so scope for further growth here is limited. Ticket prices are already ridiculous, especially in the current economic climate.

An obvious out to keep the bubble getting bigger is sugar daddy investment. How much would you gamble on the EPL/ EFL or, indeed, British government stopping dubious benefactor cash inflating the product - keeping that bubble getting bigger? There's a lot of talk about "sport washing" and the like, but I don't find it likely this will be stopped at all. This is a major jewel in the UK economic crown now. It has to maintain its hegemony as "the best league in the world".Forest are a case in point; dodgy as fuck with nobody giving a fuck.

If you can't beat them you have to either join them, or accept your demise. That's the bind United are in.

I know every time a potential signing is mentioned there's the familiar response of 'wages'. I also know that many of our fan base really have no idea of what an average Premier League player earns and we nearly spew when we hear 50k a week being mentioned.

There's an article in The Athletic today talking about Forest and whether FFP is
going to limit their signings this summer and force them to sell Brennan Johnson. It also talks about players they want to get rid of. Two of them are Jonjo Shelveu and Chris Woods who's contracts run to the end of 2025 and 2024 respectively. It days that between them they earn in excess of 170k a week!!! So they are on over 85k a week
each.

The footballing world has gone completely mad and how can we possibly compete for any kind of decent player in the market or hold onto the likes of Ndiaye and Anel when journeymen in their 30s are on thst kind of money?
The clue is in your post…………don’t waste ridiculous amounts of money on hasbeens like Shelvey and Woods. We’re doing it the right way ! Ok maybe we’re doing it that way through necessity but a strategy of signing young promising players has to be the way forward for long term sustainability.

It's simple .
Follow the Brentford and Brighton strategy. Both are mid table higher end of the league by thoughtful future progress.
Neither splash big money yet are capable of achievement in a steady way .
We blades do not need to splash big money , it's never worked in the past. We need a plan to continue to progress and stability. It doesn't happen overnight but money ain't the answer .
I've seen sheffutd in division 4 every game bar two away that season and I enjoyed it because football was on a level not greed .
I read posts on here and think wtf ?
We have a new breed of fan crying for us to sign a new player on 80k a week almost everytime I read a post .
Brian Clough created a side of nobodies and won the European cup .
Support the club not the players extortionate wages .

It's simple .
Follow the Brentford and Brighton strategy. Both are mid table higher end of the league by thoughtful future progress.
We blades do not need to splash big money , it's never worked in the past. We need a plan to continue to progress and stability. It doesn't happen overnight but money ain't the answer .
I've seen sheffutd in division 4 every game bar two away that season and I enjoyed it because football was on a level not greed .
We have a new breed of fan crying for us to sign a new player on 80k a week almost everytime I read a post .
This would be Brighton who are half a billion in debt

We aren't splashing money ever again after pissing so much up the wall for a two-season stay in Prem. So what, if I wanted to support a team that splashes cash I'd support City while saying my grandad supported them when they were shite (he did).

Football will look different in a few years imo and wouldn't surprise me if massive overspenders fall through Premier League trapdoor and go pop with huge debts (Forest, Everton).

The likes of Neves and Jota going to Saudi so young is just the start of players choosing Middle East as more than a retirement home at 35, this isn't a flash in the pan like China or USA because oil money will continue to walk the walk. That will shut the Premier League up with the bEsT lEaGuE iN tHe WoRlD bollocks.

I know every time a potential signing is mentioned there's the familiar response of 'wages'. I also know that many of our fan base really have no idea of what an average Premier League player earns and we nearly spew when we hear 50k a week being mentioned.

There's an article in The Athletic today talking about Forest and whether FFP is
going to limit their signings this summer and force them to sell Brennan Johnson. It also talks about players they want to get rid of. Two of them are Jonjo Shelveu and Chris Woods who's contracts run to the end of 2025 and 2024 respectively. It days that between them they earn in excess of 170k a week!!! So they are on over 85k a week
each.

The footballing world has gone completely mad and how can we possibly compete for any kind of decent player in the market or hold onto the likes of Ndiaye and Anel when journeymen in their 30s are on thst kind of money?

I wouldn’t say either of them are journey men I’d take both of them if there wages were right

Obviously they aren’t but they would both walk into our team

The potential threat to the Premier League is a rival comp that takes away the title of being the best league in the world. Saudi Pro League and UAE Pro League are trying to build "in-house" rather than off-shore and if that starts to get any form of success the only thing that could rival that would be a breakaway European league. Football is at the crossroads at the moment of where the big money is going to be invested.
However if they were clever UAE could speak to their league clubs and offer uncapped full internationals 18 year olds a rising deal structure over 6 years. A singing on bonus of £1mill, £1mill for 2 years and £5mill for 3 with a signing on bonus with contract extension for year 6 if they play for the UAE national side. For investment of around £12million per player for 23 on a structure like that, you are talking £300million which could easily be cherry picking the best young players from around the world playing for UAE because of money and due to FIFA's residency rule. Although £300million is alot it's about 1/3 of the value of Man Citys Squad and these 23 players would be dotted about around the league in the UAE so split across 12 owners. At the next World Cup the UAE or any other country that tried this model could find themselves with a squad of 25 year olds that are the best in the world. I hope it doesnt go down a farce route but it could do easily be done.

Everton accounts are quite crazy IMO: https://resources.evertonfc.com/eve...7929dff/Annual-Report-2-And-Accounts-2022.pdf

Page 9
Turnover: £181m
Wages: £162m
Spending 90% of revenues (of which nearly two thirds from TV rights) on wages
Building a fancy new stadium
Basically avoided relegation on the final day of the last two seasons
Feels like they have been very lucky!
Think even Holgate who I think we were linked with is on £72k per week currently - started 5 games last season
In percentage terms this is nothing compared to most Championship clubs.

Almost all are spending over 100% of revenue of wages and more than one has managed to go above 200% in recent years.

The potential threat to the Premier League is a rival comp that takes away the title of being the best league in the world. Saudi Pro League and UAE Pro League are trying to build "in-house" rather than off-shore and if that starts to get any form of success the only thing that could rival that would be a breakaway European league. Football is at the crossroads at the moment of where the big money is going to be invested.
However if they were clever UAE could speak to their league clubs and offer uncapped full internationals 18 year olds a rising deal structure over 6 years. A singing on bonus of £1mill, £1mill for 2 years and £5mill for 3 with a signing on bonus with contract extension for year 6 if they play for the UAE national side. For investment of around £12million per player for 23 on a structure like that, you are talking £300million which could easily be cherry picking the best young players from around the world playing for UAE because of money and due to FIFA's residency rule. Although £300million is alot it's about 1/3 of the value of Man Citys Squad and these 23 players would be dotted about around the league in the UAE so split across 12 owners. At the next World Cup the UAE or any other country that tried this model could find themselves with a squad of 25 year olds that are the best in the world. I hope it doesnt go down a farce route but it could do easily be done.
Stu I agree re being at a crossroads. When Saudi started splashing all the money a few months back I thought it was a repeat of the 'US experiment ' from many years ago (butnwithcway more money)and doomed to fail as only players at the end of their careers would go.

However this has the feel of potentially being something more. All it might take to tip it over the edge is a few players like Harry Kane to go and Sky to start losing subscribers due to the cost of living crisis and it could escalate quite quickly.

Brighton and Brentford are the clubs we need to try to emulate with a relatively low net spend. But that system relies upon selling players at a profit to bring in new players. We signed Ndiaye for free, selling him would be hugely unpopular but every penny would be profit - and I suspect the real reason we are against it is that (a) we don't trust that the money would be reinvested in the squad, and (b) our scouting network isn't developed enough to find an adequate replacement and so we fear weakening our team.

It's simple .
The brighton and brentford thing is a myth mate
Brighton are 1/2 a billion in debt and lose 50 m a season that tgey have to recoup in player sales
Thats the southampton model and its unsustainable

Brentford also invest heavily into data analysis staff

Guess part of their due diligence will be to read this forum

We’ve only 1 decent player and he’s been sold for a tenner
Rest of squad are shite, apart from Berge who’s sometimes less shite but we’re sellin him anorl
Trying grounds a pikeys camp site
Manager should be league 1
Fans have their own team down before the team have played a friendly/signed someone/gone bust
Can’t park in B&Q anymore
Ground has a hotel in it that resembles a Chernobyl ibis
Prince is the only bog roll man to be skint after covid
They share a city with a club who have shirts in bars in turkey

Fucked.
Oink,oink were you one of the massive “marching “into York yesterday ,bowing and scraping before a despot fiddling lunatic. Sad sack of shit.

Oink,oink were you one of the massive “marching “into York yesterday ,bowing and scraping before a despot fiddling lunatic. Sad sack of shit.
1688747902209.png

Let them bow while he empties thier wallets, for what? A team of reserves😂

It’s called gallows humour, laughing at yourself in the face of adversity - please keep up

Read some of my other posts before throwing insults like that😂

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom