This is what we are up against

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

FriethBlade

Reaction score
I know every time a potential signing is mentioned there's the familiar response of 'wages'. I also know that many of our fan base really have no idea of what an average Premier League player earns and we nearly spew when we hear 50k a week being mentioned.

There's an article in The Athletic today talking about Forest and whether FFP is
going to limit their signings this summer and force them to sell Brennan Johnson. It also talks about players they want to get rid of. Two of them are Jonjo Shelveu and Chris Woods who's contracts run to the end of 2025 and 2024 respectively. It days that between them they earn in excess of 170k a week!!! So they are on over 85k a week
each.

The footballing world has gone completely mad and how can we possibly compete for any kind of decent player in the market or hold onto the likes of Ndiaye and Anel when journeymen in their 30s are on thst kind of money?

Wages can theoretically only match the revenue broadcasters bring in.

With television now digitized there are many many more streaming options out there and no longer as monopolized as it once was.

Sky are currently axing presenters left right and center to cut expenditure.

I don't think it will be long until we reach a peak in player wages that no longer become sustainable.

With television now digitized there are many many more streaming options out there and no longer as monopolized as it once was.

I don't think it will be long until we reach a peak in player wages that no longer become sustainable.
Hopefully sooner rather than later

Everton accounts are quite crazy IMO: https://resources.evertonfc.com/eve...7929dff/Annual-Report-2-And-Accounts-2022.pdf

Page 9
Turnover: £181m
Wages: £162m
Spending 90% of revenues (of which nearly two thirds from TV rights) on wages
Building a fancy new stadium
Basically avoided relegation on the final day of the last two seasons
Feels like they have been very lucky!
Think even Holgate who I think we were linked with is on £72k per week currently - started 5 games last season

Everton accounts are quite crazy IMO: https://resources.evertonfc.com/eve...7929dff/Annual-Report-2-And-Accounts-2022.pdf

Page 9
Turnover: £181m
Wages: £162m
Spending 90% of revenues (of which nearly two thirds from TV rights) on wages
Building a fancy new stadium
Basically avoided relegation on the final day of the last two seasons
Feels like they have been very lucky!
Think even Holgate who I think we were linked with is on £72k per week currently - started 5 games last season
Wow. Insane numbers.

A couple of thoughts. Say 80% of that wage bill accounts for a 30 player 1st team squad, then their average wage is £84k a week. I guess that's what the OP is getting at.

The other interesting thing on those numbers is turnover. At £181m ( I think that is the COVID year so probably £200m in a normal year), they have £40-50m more revenue than the blades in a like for like Premier League year.

It would be really interesting to see how Everton and the like generate that, as that would be a gap the blades should try to close. I'm guessing it's made up of

1 corporate hospitality and enhanced matchday offers
2 sponsorships (shirts, training ground , stadium naming etc)
3 Match day revenue
4 ????

We can't and shouldn't be trying to compete with those kind of wages. We simply can't and why clubs find themselves in the shit if they go down.

Everton have made their own issues though by being up there for so long and occasionally trying to compete. Once you have one player on high wages you end up gradually moving all players to the same level.

Forest have had to pay those wages to sign Premier League experience, and therein lies the problem.

Said it before and I'll say it again...ther best job in the world is being a 3rd choice premier league keeper. You're probably going to be getting north of £40k a week, and you have to do fuck all for it. You might occasionally play the odd league cup game, but other than that all you have to do is turn up for training (which at that point is just a kickabout with your mates), and then sit on the bench for games. Meanwhile you're raking in £2m a year.

There's a reason Americans are buying English clubs. They see significant growth still to come.

Forest have been particularly cavalier with money although the fans of theirs I have spoken to think there isn't a problem and are still in the relegation shakedown.

But why aren’t the Americans buying us?
People keep telling me that 'leveraged buyouts' are no longer permitted, I cannot find a reference to this anywhere online. Americans like to use this method to take control of football clubs, ATM with United's level of debt I doubt a leveraged buyout would be possible.
*I'm not an expert, just a fan who has asked the same question and came up with this conclusion.

Robbie I agree we shouldn't be competing for those kind of wages but it helps our support base understand why Illiman won't sign a new deal and Anel won't be with us too long either.

People keep telling me that 'leveraged buyouts' are no longer permitted, I cannot find a reference to this anywhere online. Americans like to use this method to take control of football clubs, ATM with United's level of debt I doubt a leveraged buyout would be possible.
*I'm not an expert, just a fan who has asked the same question and came up with this conclusion.
https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.c...clubs have voted,of Manchester United in 2005.

They're not outright banned, but you have to use a minimum of 35% of your own money... 100% leveraged buyouts are definitely no longer permitted.

Forest have been particularly cavalier with money although the fans of theirs I have spoken to think there isn't a problem and are still in the relegation shakedown.
I said to my forest mate they could be in the relegation mix, pointing out that every team who are in the other 14 always have a chance of relegation essentially and second season syndrome, and he said nope we’ve signed loads of talent, i pointed out that fulham 100m year and he said stevie cooper… feel like he could be eating his words come may

But why aren’t the Americans buying us?
Always thought that but after reading various threads on why no one wants to buy us, I'm beginning to actually believe when they hear the name Sheffield United they think , nah, a club been and going nowhere with nothing special about it. Very sad really but Sheffield United and especially Sheffield don't project themselves with any positivity. Sad.

Said it before and I'll say it again...ther best job in the world is being a 3rd choice premier league keeper. You're probably going to be getting north of £40k a week, and you have to do fuck all for it. You might occasionally play the odd league cup game, but other than that all you have to do is turn up for training (which at that point is just a kickabout with your mates), and then sit on the bench for games. Meanwhile you're raking in £2m a year.
Yea but that’s what you’ll get remembered for a second rate keeper

And then oil will fund the wages, in the Middle East.

The best job in the world... even though the evidence is overwhelming that happiness comes from a fulfilling purpose with meaning and a sense of accomplishment. However great it may sound, getting paid stupid money for doing fuck all often results in misery. Even for successful elite sportspeople, getting paid insane money in their 20s and 30s leads to high rates of depression & alcohol / drug problems in their 40s and 50s.

There was a video of Mcburnie showing off his big fancy house an there was one big room where he said something like "I don't think I've ever been in this room! Imagine having a house so big you don't even go in some of the rooms", this from a millionaire 23 year old, I have to say I just found that really sad and a bit depressing rather than envious.

That's what I tell myself, anyway.

Premier League has to pop one day. Hope to god it does. The fact that we tried to somewhat have a go and almost went caput illustrates how fragile the whole thing is.

MENA leagues and MLS will be the big thing when our great great grandkids are growing up.

Always thought that but after reading various threads on why no one wants to buy us, I'm beginning to actually believe when they hear the name Sheffield United they think , nah, a club been and going nowhere with nothing special about it. Very sad really but Sheffield United and especially Sheffield don't project themselves with any positivity. Sad.
Not sure I buy that. Huddersfield Town have just been taken over by a wealthy American. I'm assuming they were just at the right price for him rather than him being seduced by a club and a town on the up.

The best job in the world... even though the evidence is overwhelming that happiness comes from a fulfilling purpose with meaning and a sense of accomplishment. However great it may sound, getting paid stupid money for doing fuck all often results in misery. Even for successful elite sportspeople, getting paid insane money in their 20s and 30s leads to high rates of depression & alcohol / drug problems in their 40s and 50s.

There was a video of Mcburnie showing off his big fancy house an there was one big room where he said something like "I don't think I've ever been in this room! Imagine having a house so big you don't even go in some of the rooms", this from a millionaire 23 year old, I have to say I just found that really sad and a bit depressing rather than envious.

That's what I tell myself, anyway.
And he’s mediocre at best.

I said to my forest mate they could be in the relegation mix, pointing out that every team who are in the other 14 always have a chance of relegation
Agreed, Brighton finished 6th, Villa 7th, Brentford 9th and I wouldn't be surprised if any of these clubs were relegated.
Spurs 8th and Chelsea 12th I would be surprised as they have such financial clout to be able to buy their way out of trouble.

It’s already reached it

Premier League has to pop one day. Hope to god it does. The fact that we tried to somewhat have a go and almost went caput illustrates how fragile the whole thing is.

MENA leagues and MLS will be the big thing when our great great grandkids are growing up.
People have been saying the same about the housing market for decades and it just keeps going.

Back
Top Bottom