The Big Match Chelsea v Blades September 1973

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The highlights and the punditry segment where Brian Moore and Malcolm Allison discuss Tony Currie (for just under two-and-a-half minutes starting from 31 mins 40 secs) are essential viewing for anyone who didn't see TC play but wants to understand what the fuss was about.

He looked easily the best player on the pitch even though there were some really outstanding individuals on both sides. Meanwhile Allison, probably the best coach in the country in this era (a hopeless manager, mind!), compares him to Günther Netzer, generally rated the world's top midfielder at the time. On that performance, you can absolutely see why.

I did see Currie play for the Blades in 1975/6, the first season I started watching top-level football, but I was a six-year-old and remember little of what I witnessed on the pitch in those early days. So my memories of Currie are of him playing for Leeds (in particular, that amazing bending shot to score against Southampton), for England under Ron Greenwood (he scored a cracker away to Wales when the British Championship was still a thing) and for QPR in the 1982 FA Cup final (the game was billed as Currie v Hoddle).

These extended highlights show the impact he could have on a whole game rather than just individual flashes of brilliance I previously remember. It's no wonder that the older Blades fans love him so much.

Front foot football. Players not looking sideways or backwards and the Blades having a 6 foot plus left side player in Salmons who ran through the oppositions midfield. How we desperately need that type of player now.

Currie and Woodward a different class against some of the best footballers in the country at the time in the top division. Thats the standard to-days players need to aspire to.

The highlights and the punditry segment where Brian Moore and Malcolm Allison discuss Tony Currie (for just under two-and-a-half minutes starting from 31 mins 40 secs) are essential viewing for anyone who didn't see TC play but wants to understand what the fuss was about.

He looked easily the best player on the pitch even though there were some really outstanding individuals on both sides. Meanwhile Allison, probably the best coach in the country in this era (a hopeless manager, mind!), compares him to Günther Netzer, generally rated the world's top midfielder at the time. On that performance, you can absolutely see why.

I did see Currie play for the Blades in 1975/6, the first season I started watching top-level football, but I was a six-year-old and remember little of what I witnessed on the pitch in those early days. So my memories of Currie are of him playing for Leeds (in particular, that amazing bending shot to score against Southampton), for England under Ron Greenwood (he scored a cracker away to Wales when the British Championship was still a thing) and for QPR in the 1982 FA Cup final (the game was billed as Currie v Hoddle).

These extended highlights show the impact he could have on a whole game rather than just individual flashes of brilliance I previously remember. It's no wonder that the older Blades fans love him so much.
Love this coming from a Manchester City fan! Deffo not from Wonky Owl :)

Great stuff Silent, love this old footage and maybe younger supporters can get a grasp of how good Currie was. Worth pointing out that team had some quality all over the pitch,more or less the team promoted 2 yrs previously. Tom McCalister would have been in my opinion one of our best ever goalkeeper's only for breaking his leg. Clive Thomas the ref , the man who blew his whistle for half time when the ball was in the air from a corner for Brazil in the 78 world cup, which they scored from , he loved to be noticed ,a pratt

Very good video. I always liked Bonetti in the Chelsea goal (less so for England!), but when he let the second goal in through his legs, I realised who he reminded me of -Alan Partridge. Lucky for him that Alan Partridge had not been created before he retired

Great video Silent Blade thanks for sharing.

You forget just how talented that team was, amazing how SUFC managed to build on that all the way to the bottom tier!

Currie was absolutely sublime and harder working than many remember. Best player to ever pull on the shirt. But surrounded by talent in Woody, Billy D, Salmons, Len, Ted, Eddie C and Tom McCallister. Great great team. Nobody told me then, "enjoy this kid because you've got 40 years of misery to come" 😂

Also interesting to hear Chelsea singing "you'll never walk alone" did the Scousers steal it from them? 🙂

Lasr night I was only watching TC and AH paying tribute to Frank Worthington on Alan Hudson's podcast .. Salmons became big mates with Hudson at Stoke.
They mentioned when TC, Huddy, Stan Bowles, Charlie George, Rodney Marsh and Frank were called aside by Revie and told they weren't in his Plans for England...Madness to discard all that talent.

Lasr night I was only watching TC and AH paying tribute to Frank Worthington on Alan Hudson's podcast .. Salmons became big mates with Hudson at Stoke.
They mentioned when TC, Huddy, Stan Bowles, Charlie George, Rodney Marsh and Frank were called aside by Revie and told they weren't in his Plans for England...Madness to discard all that talent.
Also they weren’t yes men and Revie seemed more at home with that type of personality

Back
Top Bottom