Chelsea 2 United 0 - report

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Massive cunt with his massive cunt ratings and massive cunt vibes
Whatever possessed you to write such an offensive message Roygbiv? It is totally unacceptable on a forum like this. If you disagree with Deadbat’s comments, then say so using a coherent argument.

Whatever possessed you to write such an offensive message Roygbiv? It is totally unacceptable on a forum like this. If you disagree with Deadbat’s comments, then say so using a coherent argument.

He's gets called a cunt almost every single time he posts a report so I've been trying to get the inevitable out of the way as soon as he posts. Deadbat loves it. Said he was laughing that much he had kenco coming out of his nostrils.

I think as a club we all have to move away from this 'everyone has spent billions and has far better players than us' mentality. Its so defeatist and provides a ready made excuse.

The simple fact is this is 11 v 11 and all our players are PL players. To get through the whole football system and to make it to the PL means you are the elite of the elite.

So why is it most of our players don't seem to be able to make an accurate 10 yard pass or control one sent to them? It has to be all about mentality and confidence. Hopefully Wilder can change that. Alright these other sides are more athletic and seem stronger than us but as a group to consistenly not be able to string 3 passed together is ridiculous given how good all of our players are.

Fingers crossed Wilder can instill some belief because if this season continues to be one of misplaced passes and 22% possession it is going to be a lot longer and harder than we even imagine now.

He's gets called a cunt almost every single time he posts a report so I've been trying to get the inevitable out of the way as soon as he posts. Deadbat loves it. Said he was laughing that much he had kenco coming out of his nostrils.
Ok

United – It was very similar to many of the away games this season where we sit in, defend and rarely attack or get bodies up the pitch. It’s a very defensive and negative approach. I know we cannot go hung ho but we have interest in even progressing up the field. Yes, we defended well first half but we did at Arsenal and a few other games. However teams will pass it, pass it, pass it and we just tire, gaps open up and chances come. I’m not sure today was any different to my last trio down here with United when we surrender quite meekly to Arsenal.

Of course I understand these teams and players are much better and Chelsea have a team costing billions with subs all seemingly 50-100 million players. They will mostly always beat us and be too good but I do need to look at the manner of how we compete even if we lose. I heard Wilder say we did quite well first half and then kind of abandoned the plan? Maybe they did but I thought it was as much as the United players just tired physically and mentally. Chelsea upped it and we had no response. Our play off the ball and organisation was pretty good first half but Chelsea did not look a great side at all and felt we could hurt them or at least try and test them but other than the odd corner and the Archer effort, we did not really do that. Of course half time and you are 0-0 and probably content.

However, the decent first half in terms of organisation and concentration is completely wasted when you toss away two easy goals and basically fold second half. We were not even getting close to players, let alone win tackles. The first goal they run through us and then nobody goes with runners. Same on the second although wretched keeping adds to the problems. That was game over really. Four years ago we went 2-0 down to a much better Chelsea side and fought back but we never looked like coming back. There was no belief in the side and showed what a task Wilder has. The players are miles off competing at this level nearly every week.

Our so called flair players McAtee and Hamer were wretched at keeping the ball and their touch and passing was woeful all game. The likes of Foderingham and Lowe will get pelters and both are not good enough for this level but even the so called better technical players look a long way off and struggled to make any impact. Thought Anel and Trusty did ok with little protection down the sides or in front but the two full backs defensive limitations were exposed again. Souza had a decent first half but poor after the break where as it was a real struggle for Brookes. McBurnie did not hold it up or offer much where as Archer at least looked a threat.

Overall though we were well beaten and it was an easy win for an out of sorts Chelsea. We were probably the perfect opportunity for them to get back to winning ways and back on track. It became a bit of a training session 2nd half but we have said that a few times this season. I am sound harsh as Chelsea of course are so much better but I don’t like the way we barely lay a glove on teams and kind of give up. Today it could have been 3 or 4 which would have been a better reflection of a one sided game. Chelsea had nearly 80% possession and for much of the 2nd half we did not really compete and it was largely unopposed football.

One thing that was made even clearer today, as I sat quite low down was how much stronger Chelsea/opponents are, particularly upper body strength. Even Anel got shoved off it by Sterling! It was telling that our players just got shrugged off it. We did not win many battles, races or header at all- the things Wilder always said are the bare minimum at this level.

After the uplift of two decent performances, today we looked much like the team we have seen all season, particularly away from home. Our form on the road is wretched with one point from 8 games. We have scored a measly four goals and two were own goals. A United player has not registered since Hamer at Spurs in September. He is the only United player to score away all season too. We might look even worse and negative away from the Lane, than we did under Warnock in the Premier League.

With Villa and City next, it does not get any easier and two more almost certain defeats you feel. The Luton game has the making of a game that United simply have to win, to even keep alive any slim chances of survival. A loss or even a draw here and you’d probably concede that we are as good as down even before the New Year as we don’t get anything away and don’t play any of the strugglers at home for a while.

Ratings:

Foderingham 4/10 – He made one double save late on and denied another few half chances but overall again proved why he’s not really up to this level. His play with the ball at his feet is frighteningly bad. He made another cock up on the 2nd and continues to concern when we play it back. He started the season well but is making too many mistake, albeit put under too much pressure.

Bogle 4.5/10 – Thought he got beat quite a few times from Mudryk and gave him way too much time on the ball. A few times seemed almost surprised when the winger had it in acres of space. Twice he just then ran past him. Had one run and cross but rarely got forward and his struggles defensively continued second half.

Lowe 4/10 – He started ok and was quite tight to Sterling but then was caught ball watching as he started to find gaps. He did make one block as he came across bit second half he began to unravel. They attacked at will down this side and he failed to stop his man or the ball. He got drawn to the ball then and positionally he was all over the place. He’s another way off this level. Expect Trusty back here next week with Robinson back.

Ahmedhodzic 5.5/10 – First half he did alright and was able to get in front of his man and was tight too and denied them the chance to turn. A few stride outs from the back too which looked like the Anel of early last season. Second half he got dragged around and we lacked the shape/clear line we had to start the game. Slow to react to a few balls/crosses into the area. Did not cover himself in glory on the second goal.

Trusty 6/10 – Our best defender in the sense he continued to be competitive and kept tighter than the others who stopped doing their jobs. He made a few blocks and tackles and covered well. He is poor at using the ball and resorts to lumping it, even when under little pressure. Could have reacted quicker on both goals.

Souza 6/10 – The opening 45 minute, he was very good and carried on from last week. Got his foot in, got his body in good areas and used it sensibly when he did step in to stem attacks. However, he lost the duels second half and Gallagher ran off him or away from him more than once. Ended up losing his way somewhat and felt the midfield did not press or really compete after the break. Looked very leggy by the end. Maybe for the 2nd week running, he was caught by a challenge that could have been a red card (elbow/hand in the face)

Hamer 4/10 – Major disappointment after showing a great deal of fight last week. He was woeful on and off the ball and apart from one free kick near the end, he gave the ball away often and quite cheaply. He also did not do much defensively and they skipped away from him a few times. Seems a bit of a luxury player as he lacks the running power to get up and down.

McAtee 3/10 – A real stinker. Not sure he did much right all game. It bounced off him or away from him. Got booked for kicking it away but that’s all he did really- kick it away. He turned into trouble and never kept the ball at all. Defensively did not help Bogle at all either. Not sure we can play him and Hamer away, if they are do careless with the football.

Brooks 4/10 – Struggled today. Tried to get his foot in but got rushed out of things and the pace/physicality seemed a bit much. Taken off after we conceded and it was not a surprise but not sure Hamer or McAtee offered anything significantly more meaningful?

Archer 6.5/10 – Probably our best outfield player. He at least put himself about and also had a few efforts both halves even if both went wide. He dud hold it up and keep it more than others and he was the only one trying to penetrate. No service at all either.

McBurnie 5/10 – Disappointing. Not sure he did enough to help us have an out ball or keep it. Got muscled out of things and them did not show enough on the few occasions we did get in their half. Won the odd flick but the ball never stuck up our end.

Subs –

Osula 4/10 – Nothing really played into him at all and sort of ran around without touching it much at all. Put that McAtee one in the net but the game had effectively stopped. He was another, who is a big lad albeit inexperienced, but did not win his headers or duels. Tries hard but we are desperate for more know how up in this area.

Norwood – Him coming on for a striker showed we knew the game was up. Think they hoped he would give us more of the ball but it did not really happen and they continued to control things.

Slimane – Only got 10 minutes but did ok again and showed some neat touches and had one decent run down the left but did not get a good ball in. Probably deserves a start though as has shown bits and pieces.

Manager :

Wilder 5.5/10 – First half we were competing and did not give up many chances but we did not come out much and the plan to sit in and just defend for 90 mins is not going to work against good players. Maybe that’s all we can hope for but I’d like to see us try and get up the field. He did say that the players diverted away from the plan so maybe if they had kept what they were doing, we might have stayed in the game but as soon as they scored then the game was done. We almost never fight back these days. He changed a few from the bench but we lack options in general squad wise. If the next period sees the expected trend of this season carry on, be interesting to see how he reacts as he will surely see that the players are just not good enough, as they weren’t for his predecessor.

Chelsea – A routine win. They weren’t great at all and first half created little. However in the second half they just upped it, got the goals and then coasted and were able to rotate players. They have spent a lot of money on quite ordinary players though. Not sure they will finish in the top 6 though. Today was as easy an afternoon as they would wish for though.

Opponent Man of the Match – Gallagher and Palmer, the two young English players were probably the stand outs. Palmer scored and got an assist but Gallagher stood out even more really. He helped drive them forward and his runs led to both goals. The rest of the side were OK and just did what they had to. They did win a lot of the physical stuff and another much more robust and physical side.

Opponent Weak link – Mudryk did actually beat Bogle a few times but was wasteful in final product and finishes. Sterling drifted in and out. Not sure anyone was really tested.

Referee/Officials – There decisions did not really affect the verdict and was surprised VAR even looked at the goals as thought they were fine and did not even consider offside. The hand on Souza surely should have been at least a booking? Outside of this I felt Andy Madley gave a lot of the 50-50 challenges to them and the usual antics of whenever they fell over, he seemingly could not wait to give them things. First half in particular he gave some bizarre decisions. It just seems they seem desperate not to upset the big sides and almost as if ‘it must be a foul as it’s a Chelsea player.’

Matchday/Crowd/Coverage/Day Out – Must be odd for die hard Chelsea fans as they are another with an ever increasing tourist fan such is the cost of games. They are also getting left behind now in London both on and off the pitch with Arsenal, Tottenham and West Ham in much bigger grounds and more impressive in the first two teams’ case. Today the crowd was not even 40,000 and I thought that’s not much bigger than the Lane. It ways feels a proper away day/ground with the walk up the Kings Road and all the stalls, pubs and then the Hotel/complex near the ground too. However, inside it was so quiet. Granted it was an easy win against the weakest team in the league but many left before the end too. It seems like despite the big money spending of the new US owner going on unabated, the Mourinho days are long gone and even with all the big cash outlay, they seem quite a way off the top sides.

Was quite low down today in the bottom tier. I sat in the upper tier for the 2-2. The view was ok and I do like the rail seats where you can stand but it is safe and not a scrum and you can rest your hands too in front!

The rest of the day saw us get into London OK as we got an early train before all the issues which beset many with trains being cancelled. Coming home was ok and the problems seemed to have gone by the time we came back. We strolled around London before and after and saw the lights down Regent Street. We drank near Putney Bridge where there were a fair few Blades too but I always forget how long a walk it is from there. Well over half an hour. Got in the ground but decided against the £7.80 (was it?) pint in the ground! Decent day overall but felt a fit flat after. I admire those who are going every week and I know the day out is often what makes it, but must be hard when you know we lose every week away and often quite tamely. I won’t be at Villa or City for work/family reasons but see two more difficult days/evenings. We just are almost writing half our matches off and it must be soul destroying to keep going and watching defeat after defeat, granted we know the level of teams we are up against.
The reality of Saturdays performance was that we didn’t lay a glove on them.

If we are to stay up then it’s the home performances which will decide this, Saturday’s display was no better than what’s gone on before.

Back
Top Bottom