Stuck in halfway house?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

£20m extra now will just get swallowed up in costs. It isn't going to buy a competitive team in 24/25.
£0 definitely isn't going to buy anyone.

You're arguing for gambling the future of the club on staying up and having enough to stay up in the Championship for the next two seasons.

The choice would be, if we went down, which we're second favourite to do:

• Keeping both and losing two of our best assets for nothing with £0 to replace them
  • Losing two of our best assets now and having £20-30 million to replace them

You're arguing for gambling the future of the club on staying up and having enough to stay up in the Championship for the next two seasons.

• Keeping both and losing two of our best assets for nothing with £0 to replace them
How is it gambling rhe future? You're advocating giving up Ndiaye so we can be slightly better in the Championship in 12 months. We'll have £40m+ to build a team for the Championship

In any event (apart from if we qualify for the champions league), Berge and N'Diaye are not going to be part of our long term future.

Therefore, there is a logic to start working out how to replace them now and use the position of being able to offer PL football to do so. Players come and go, like MGW.

It will sound like this that I want to get rid of them, far from it, I'd love option A if it was viable but it doesn't seem so (what with offering Fleck a new contract). The sentimental side would love to see N'Diaye play in the PL and see if he could become the next Messi whilst playing for us.

Its similar with Kane and Spurs, they will want to make sure they don't stuff up the proceeds like they did when they sold Bale, but they won't let him leave on a free. Therefore, I'm sure they will have set a deadline for Kane to sign a new contract, and if he doesn't they'll start entertaining offers.

The market has us at about a 40% chance to stay up, i.e. it values us as having £40m in PL TV money next season. How much do you think our survival percentage would drop if we sold Ndiaye, and how much do you think we would get in transfer fees?

It's not going to sit in a bank account when there are still significant outstanding debts and the owner is wanting to sell
Why would we sell our best player and not reinvest the money? If we needed the cash we would surely just reduce our transfer budget.

How is it gambling rhe future? You're advocating giving up Ndiaye so we can be slightly better in the Championship in 12 months. We'll have £40m+ to build a team for the Championship
We'll have £40 million to cover the operating losses of being in the championship and the larger wage bill. None of the parachute payment will likely be available for rebuilding.

We'll have £40 million to cover the operating losses of being in the championship and the larger wage bill. None of the parachute payment will likely be available for rebuilding.
We have one player contracted for next season. The issue last time was the toxic contracts still on the books

He's absolutely irreplaceable

Many thought that MGW was, some players go and others take their place, such is football.

I agree that he seems like a once in a generation talent for us, but we're SUFC not N'Diaye FC. If we got £20 million we could certainly upgrade/enhance various positions with Anel-type signings (lol) and prepare for promotion 2023-2024.

Letting him leave on a free holding out for the slight chance that he might single-handedly keep us up (lol) seems a bit of a risk to me

Many thought that MGW was, some players go and others take their place, such is football.

I agree that he seems like a once in a generation talent for us, but we're SUFC not N'Diaye FC. If we got £20 million we could certainly upgrade/enhance various positions with Anel-type signings (lol) and prepare for promotion 2023-2024.

Letting him leave on a free holding out for the slight chance that he might single-handedly keep us up (lol) seems a bit of a risk to me
If he leaves, we need both a new way of attacking and at least 3 players to implement that

If he leaves, we need both a new way of attacking and at least 3 players to implement that

Its not an 'if' though, he is leaving unless we make the champions league (even then it'd be unlikely he'll stay).

The question is, is 'when' he will leave. When is it in the best interest of the club?

We'll probably agree to disagree on this but I would suggest sooner rather than later, depending on what offers come in. If we only get offered £10 million I'd be inclined to keep him, if its £20 million I think we should sell up and re-invest and prepare for 2024-2025 championship promotion campaign.

Its not an 'if' though, he is leaving unless we make the champions league (even then it'd be unlikely he'll stay).

The question is, is 'when' he will leave. When is it in the best interest of the club?

We'll probably agree to disagree on this but I would suggest sooner rather than later, depending on what offers come in. If we only get offered £10 million I'd be inclined to keep him, if its £20 million I think we should sell up and re-invest and prepare for 2024-2025 championship promotion campaign.
Fair enough. I'll always choose the player over the money we may never see used

Fair enough. I'll always choose the player over the money we may never see used

Yeah I totally understand your cynicism and concerns that the money will be swallowed up somehow or we'll be short-changed, or that we'll mis-use the money.

I think we can agree that we are a bit stuck at the moment, though many clubs like Spurs are etc.

Yeah I totally understand your cynicism and concerns that the money will be swallowed up somehow or we'll be short-changed, or that we'll mis-use the money.

I think we can agree that we are a bit stuck at the moment, though many clubs like Spurs are etc.
True, but the biggest part of it is I genuinely think Ndiaye is special. Not many chances to see players like that, even less of seeing them play for your team

Basically everyone is slightly different versions of irrelevant except City, United, Chelsea, Newcastle. Even Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool are only hanging on temporarily

True, but the biggest part of it is I genuinely think Ndiaye is special. Not many chances to see players like that, even less of seeing them play for your team

Basically everyone is slightly different versions of irrelevant except City, United, Chelsea, Newcastle. Even Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool are only hanging on temporarily

Undoubtedly, I've said on here that he's the closest player to Messi we will have ever play for us.

We can only speculate but I wonder what the club's strategy is for next season on this matter.

If we could sell him an Berge and replace with Gyokores and Hamer would you?
Nah. It's close but I think Ndiaye is more likely to create something out of nothing. I prefer Hamer to Berge as an all round player but he's another tiny CM and if we can somehow convince Berge it's always April he could be really effective in a team that doesn't have the majority of possession.

Ndiaye and Gyokeres though? That'd give United areal chance

But 2 are on one year deals and the other 2 would probably on 4 year deals

More skillfull without a doubt but players who make an impact come in all forms. Edwards was just as influential to the sides he played in as N’Diaye is to us now. Edwards the far better finisher.
Ndiaye is going to score in the top flight, something Edwards had never done!

We're not stuck in halfway house now, its very clear that its 'option B'.

I know some people don't like threads being bumped but this one was quite prescient in relation to the situation and choices we are in.

It won't be popular but out of the two options above, option 'B' is the wisest one imho. Doesn't mean that it doesn't hurt though :(

I expect us to use all the money we get from the sales to rebuild the team ready to launch a promotion campaign 2024-2025.

Back
Top Bottom