Stuck in halfway house?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Again, why is Ndiaye agreeing to leave when he can choose his own destination and get a huge signing bonus in the summer?
Doubt Iliman can choose which club he plays for next regardless of whether he's a free transfer or not.
If he signs a new contract there's nothing stopping him moving on to another club, as Brighton have shown.

So, we need to try and stay up, which essentially means keeping our best players and augmenting as best we can. As long as we actually try, then I'll be happy whatever the outcome. If the worst happens, how much appetite will we have the year after to go through the whole rigmarole again?
It's a good point, but fortunately it won't depend on the appetite of the fans as much as the players, and they always seem to get astronomical promotion bonuses, so no worries there

I get these lads wanting to better themselves don't have a problem with it one bit , but I would be looking hard at their advisor's, one bad tackle would leave them totally in the brown stuff , If I was them I would look at a one year roll over deal

you do realise he would get a huge pay rise if he gets sold?
You do realise the club he goes to on a free won't have to pay a fee so he'll get a guhe signing on fee plus an even bigger wage. And most importantly he gets to choose exactly where he goes

Doubt Iliman can choose which club he plays for next regardless of whether he's a free transfer or not.
If he signs a new contract there's nothing stopping him moving on to another club, as Brighton have shown.
Why do you doubt that? If there's no fee the number of teams who'll want him goes up. A lot

You do realise the club he goes to on a free won't have to pay a fee so he'll get a guhe signing on fee plus an even bigger wage. And most importantly he gets to choose exactly where he goes
So Iliman just gives Pep a ring and says I'm playing for Man City now, where do I report for training?

Why do you doubt that? If there's no fee the number of teams who'll want him goes up. A lot
If we're talking about Premier League teams and he has a good season he'll easily get a move regardless of whether he's under contract or not.
If he's good enough someone would buy him, simple as. See Brighton as an example.

If we're talking about Premier League teams and he has a good season he'll easily get a move regardless of whether he's under contract or not.
If he's good enough someone would buy him, simple as. See Brighton as an example.
Why does he need to go to Brighton for a smaller salary then he'd otherwise get if he runs his deal down?

What sort of signing fee is Ndiaye expecting next year btw - anyone have a reasonable idea ?

Even if he stands to gain more than a significantly improved contract would have made him for 2+ years...... is it really enough more to justify the 2 year long risk of career ending injury or developing an addiction to takeaways and crashing fast cars?

I would have thought there could've been a more mutually agreeable compromise

I’m more than happy with B but even then I’m going to keep both illy and Berge and see if they can help us stay up

If we are looking at a yo yo strategy then the bulk of that team that stays up in prem league in 2 or 3 years time should already be here minus 4 or 5 players added over years etc

So keep illy and Berge, let them run contracts down and gamble, an extra year of money through staying up is worth far more than any fee right now

What sort of signing fee is Ndiaye expecting next year btw - anyone have a reasonable idea ?

Even if he stands to gain more than a significantly improved contract would have made him for 2+ years...... is it really enough more to justify the 2 year long risk of career ending injury or developing an addiction to takeaways and crashing fast cars?

There are teams he may want to sign him who can't afford to both pay him a lot and a transfer fee. Why should he have his next club chosen for him if he's willing to play at risk thos season?

There are teams he may want to sign him who can't afford to both pay him a lot and a transfer fee. Why should he have his next club chosen for him if he's willing to play at risk thos season?
Could we not insert some sort of 'Marseille clause' ?

For arguments sake, say he is currently on £5k a week with us.

Say his current transfer value if he was under a contract is £25m (conservative estimate), then he's get 10% of that as a signing on fee and £40k a week for 3 yrs basic. So, that's a lump sum of £33.74m cost to the buying club, of which Ndiaye trousers £8.74m.

If he joins Marseille on a free, he gets a signing on fee of £5m, and double the market wages, and it only costs the club £17.48m, of which Ndiaye pockets the lot.

If he signs a new deal with us, we'd have to offer him one that pays him £110k a week over 3 yrs for him to be no worse off. When the best we could do (based upon previous years) is £50k, he's losing £60k a week being with us. Why would he even think about doing it?

How big do you think the signing on fee will be?

I had actually thought about that as I was typing the response! You could, just not sure how it benefits Marseille
And no he doesn't get to choose exactly where he goes. He can still only go to somewhere that wants him and is willing to meet his pay demands.

How big do you think the signing on fee will be?
If United quoted £20m now, I'd imagine his agent could arrange £3-4m the following summer at least. Plus an extra £20k a week on his salary ove 5 years

And no he doesn't get to choose exactly where he goes. He can still only go to somewhere that wants him and is willing to meet his pay demands.
And you don't think anyone will want him? Or his agents aren't talking to teams already?

Plus, if he goes overseas he can sign a guaranteed contract in January 24

My logic would be that we get Berge and Ndiaye to sign new contracts, not to tie them to us for another 3 years but purely so they know that they're integral to the team now and any future success moving forward whether they're here or not at the end of next season i.e. getting half decent money for them when they eventually leave.

"Ili, if you have a good season, people will be queuing up to sign you. We need the money and know that realistically, unless you have a Mousset type meltdown, the football world is your oyster. You could set us up for the next 5 years if you sign and we won't stand in your way if a suitable offer comes in at the end of the season"

Insert various clauses around if clubs playing in Europe make an approach, any offer over £25m for Ndiaye and he can walk if he wants to, sell-on clause whatever it has to be.

There is little to no chance Ndiaye will sign a new contract
The football world is his oyster as a free agent

If United quoted £20m now, I'd imagine his agent could arrange £3-4m the following summer at least. Plus an extra £20k a week on his salary ove 5 years
And if he signed a new deal with us with an increase of £50k/week he would earn an extra £3million this year without the risk of having a poor season or an injury preventing a big move.

And if he signed a new deal with us with an increase of £50k/week he would earn an extra £3million this year without the risk of having a poor season or an injury preventing a big move.
But he'd lose all that signing bonus and wage. Plus, he'd rule out all the teams that can't afford the fee

But he'd lose all that signing bonus and wage. Plus, he'd rule out all the teams that can't afford the fee
Teams that can't afford the fee are unlikely to be paying sky high wages. I get where you're coming from but there are pro's and con's to both arguments.

Teams that can't afford the fee are unlikely to be paying sky high wages. I get where you're coming from but there are pro's and con's to both arguments.
Of course and I'm not saying it's definitely what's going to happen. But my personal view is money is secondary to him. He's fiercely ambitious and I think that'll factor in to where he wants to go next. Running his deal down gives him more options

I think he’s perfectly happy running to contract down and getting his choice of options.

One way we could protect ourselves in the short term and maintain the ability get a fee for him is to offer him a very large signing on fee to sign on for another year say (with relevant clauses)

No reason we can’t offer him the 70k/80k a week wilder was on and a 4million signing on fee. Use out of the 20m that instead of on a signing

He may lose out financially slightly overall but we can stay we wouldn’t hold him to random and get gets some of the cash and protection from injury now. Only takes an O’Connell and he’s ruined.

His next club would also be paying him handsomely by virtue of the transfer fee. It’s not like they’d pay him all the saved transfer fee.

Would cost us c8m for the year but we might be able to still get say a 25m transfer fee instead of zero. So it’s an investment that could be worth making if it could be agreed all round.

Back
Top Bottom