Steven Davies

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Not sure if we're getting big headed, but it does seem like a great move to be joining Nigel Adkins' second building of a great division-climbing side. Some of his third tier players at Southampton went on to become full internationals.

With that in mind, is it possible that we had admitted to Mawson that he wouldn't automatically become first choice here, as we maybe had other, higher profile targets in mind?

It is indeed a dilemma Bergen - we are all sat here with baited breath on what Nigel 2 is going to do or what the board will let him do.

We will do one of two things - go big or generally tweak what we have and make do.

I suppose the first signing will be a clue - people say a marquee signing sets the ball rolling for others.

which way do we jump?

UTB

It is indeed a dilemma Bergen - we are all sat here with baited breath on what Nigel 2 is going to do or what the board will let him do.

We will do one of two things - go big or generally tweak what we have and make do.

I suppose the first signing will be a clue - people say a marquee signing sets the ball rolling for others.

which way do we jump?

UTB

If NA tries to "tweak what we have and make do", I for one will be chucking teddy right out of the cot for certain !! I suspect that there will be a significant amount of unrest among other supporters as well.

We are about 50 goals for and 30 goals against short of an "automatic" promotion side and I want nothing to do with play-offs ever again. It is crystal clear to even Stevie Wonder what our significant weaknesses are and unless NA addresses the lack of pace, lack of quality upfront, midget squad and shocking defence; before the season starts, we will be having the same conversations in December 2015 as we were having in December 2014.
That ..... would be a disaster of biblical proportions.
UTB & FTP

Not sure if we're getting big headed, but it does seem like a great move to be joining Nigel Adkins' second building of a great division-climbing side. Some of his third tier players at Southampton went on to become full internationals.

With that in mind, is it possible that we had admitted to Mawson that he wouldn't automatically become first choice here, as we maybe had other, higher profile targets in mind?

If we had really wanted him as a priority, he'd be here...

If NA tries to "tweak what we have and make do", I for one will be chucking teddy right out of the cot for certain !! I suspect that there will be a significant amount of unrest among other supporters as well.

We are about 50 goals for and 30 goals against short of an "automatic" promotion side and I want nothing to do with play-offs ever again. It is crystal clear to even Stevie Wonder what our significant weaknesses are and unless NA addresses the lack of pace, lack of quality upfront, midget squad and shocking defence; before the season starts, we will be having the same conversations in December 2015 as we were having in December 2014.
That ..... would be a disaster of biblical proportions.
UTB & FTP

I agree with nearly all of that.

The weaknesses are obvious - in defence.
James Wallace "should" make a difference if he can regain fitness and stay fit. Just reckon he could have played back end of last season, but Clough thought better of it and probably put the player before the club.
A midfield of hopefully Wallace/Basham/Coutts would surely enable a 4-4-2 formation. I'm not too bothered what we play, as long as we have a strong core in the middle.

I would disagree (strongly) up front. For me, and I know it's contentious, Mcnulty is quality, but he needs to be loved and nursed through it. Perhaps Adkins, due to his previous mentioned man management skills, will do that and hope he gets a chance. He was top scorer and had 24 sub appearances. If he had a full season last year then he would easily have got 20 goals which appears some sort of holy grail to many. His different type of goals he scored proved the kid has something extra, he just needs a chance, and possibly some workhorse up top to go with him.

As for the teddy - BDTBL is going to have a few if Adkins doesn't resolve the major issues of defence. My teddy will come out if Collins starts the season - if he does it means we are doing it on the cheap.

I suppose we have to let Adkins look at the squad as he has previously said, although if he comes up to see me for a cup of tea and a chat, he'll be writing cheques for 2 centre halves as soon as he's shut the door ;)

UTB

Don't fight it.

It's time to get the band back together again.

index.php

That cursed kit. I believe we never won a game in it. All three away games we won in the premier were in our home kit. Stattos?

I agree with nearly all of that.

The weaknesses are obvious - in defence.
James Wallace "should" make a difference if he can regain fitness and stay fit. Just reckon he could have played back end of last season, but Clough thought better of it and probably put the player before the club.
A midfield of hopefully Wallace/Basham/Coutts would surely enable a 4-4-2 formation. I'm not too bothered what we play, as long as we have a strong core in the middle.

I would disagree (strongly) up front. For me, and I know it's contentious, Mcnulty is quality, but he needs to be loved and nursed through it. Perhaps Adkins, due to his previous mentioned man management skills, will do that and hope he gets a chance. He was top scorer and had 24 sub appearances. If he had a full season last year then he would easily have got 20 goals which appears some sort of holy grail to many. His different type of goals he scored proved the kid has something extra, he just needs a chance, and possibly some workhorse up top to go with him.

As for the teddy - BDTBL is going to have a few if Adkins doesn't resolve the major issues of defence. My teddy will come out if Collins starts the season - if he does it means we are doing it on the cheap.

I suppose we have to let Adkins look at the squad as he has previously said, although if he comes up to see me for a cup of tea and a chat, he'll be writing cheques for 2 centre halves as soon as he's shut the door ;)

UTB

Agreed on Collins. If we start with Collins it means that he hasn't been backed by the Board, as Collins is NOT the future, he represents mediocrity. I'm also hoping that Wallace can come good with a good pre-season behind him, however, that's a tough call for NA to make unless Wallace is showing very positive signs now of being over his injury problems and raring to go for pre-season training.

Don't agree on strikers though mate. I like McNuts but he's a young development player and therefore a squad player for me. He is an instinctive goalscorer i agree, but he's got loads to learn regarding workrate, chasing down defenders, movement off the ball, decision-making etc. I also like Done but he needs a fast, strong, target man type player to work with, preferably who is capable of 20+ goals per season. That rules out Higdon on so many counts. For me, a promotion side needs 4 strikers to cater for injuries, loss of form, competition, suspensions etc.

My worry is that NA will be given a bit of money now, told to use what we've got in the meantime until he's moved some on and it will be end of January before we see any real improvement. That, ...... imho, will be too late for this season !!
UTB & FTP

That's a shame, he looked a decent player in the 8 or so games he had - seemed to have a bit more nouse and culture than your average L1 battering ram number 9

That's a shame, he looked a decent player in the 8 or so games he had - seemed to have a bit more nouse and culture than your average L1 battering ram number 9

I agree, his goal against Doncater at BDTBL was up there with anything Murphy did last season, lbeat three players, into the box, curled it round the keeper. And his goal in the play offs, at Swindon, his header was like a guided missile.

Held up play well, brought others in, was big and strong.

According the Star (ok stop laughing!) NA wants a snew striker.....

"...
Kevin McCabe, Sheffield United’s co-owner, believes that appointing Nigel Adkins as manager will enable the League One club to punch above its weight in the transfer market.
Adkins, previously of Southampton, Reading and Scunthorpe, was last night applying the finishing touches to his recruitment plans with a centre-half and centre-forward known to feature on the 50-year-old’s wanted list..." http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/sheff-utd/sheffield-united-nigel-can-talk-to-the-top-names-1-7335187

Lee Turnbull on looking overseas...

"..
“You have to make sure the profile of a player fits within the club’s budget and also the requirements of the manager, it is a very strategic process in many respects,” Turnbull said. “We are aware of the market in the UK, particularly in the lower leagues and into non-league.

“But we also have a good number of contacts across Europe, in places like France, Spain, Holland and Scandinavia.”
UTB.

Agreed on Collins. If we start with Collins it means that he hasn't been backed by the Board, as Collins is NOT the future, he represents mediocrity. I'm also hoping that Wallace can come good with a good pre-season behind him, however, that's a tough call for NA to make unless Wallace is showing very positive signs now of being over his injury problems and raring to go for pre-season training.

Don't agree on strikers though mate. I like McNuts but he's a young development player and therefore a squad player for me. He is an instinctive goalscorer i agree, but he's got loads to learn regarding workrate, chasing down defenders, movement off the ball, decision-making etc. I also like Done but he needs a fast, strong, target man type player to work with, preferably who is capable of 20+ goals per season. That rules out Higdon on so many counts. For me, a promotion side needs 4 strikers to cater for injuries, loss of form, competition, suspensions etc.

My worry is that NA will be given a bit of money now, told to use what we've got in the meantime until he's moved some on and it will be end of January before we see any real improvement. That, ...... imho, will be too late for this season !!
UTB & FTP

I agree with you about Mcnuts and the lack of chasing down and I'll offer you a reason.

His is a player who needs to be part of a 2 up top. Clough tried him as a lone striker and it generally failed - because he isn't a lone striker. Davis/COG/Higdon are all lone strikers and it's unfair to judge Mcnuts on that type of roll. What he is, is a class finisher, as we have all seen and if he had played in a 2, then we would have seen the best of him. What he needs is COG type player and then we will see the best of him.

As for development player - he's 23 this September - has to play or go, too old to be considered development.

UTB

I agree with you about Mcnuts and the lack of chasing down and I'll offer you a reason.

His is a player who needs to be part of a 2 up top. Clough tried him as a lone striker and it generally failed - because he isn't a lone striker. Davis/COG/Higdon are all lone strikers and it's unfair to judge Mcnuts on that type of roll. What he is, is a class finisher, as we have all seen and if he had played in a 2, then we would have seen the best of him. What he needs is COG type player and then we will see the best of him.

As for development player - he's 23 this September - has to play or go, too old to be considered development.

UTB

Fair point .... he's older than I thought so its shit or bust for him this year.

I also agree he cannot play the "lone striker" role, but not many can do that job well and I always thought that "one up front" was never going to work for us in this agricultural Division. I would prefer to see 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 in this Division but I still think we need at least one other strong, pacey, goal hungry striker to go with McNuts & Done.
UTB & FTP

Fair point .... he's older than I thought so its shit or bust for him this year.

I also agree he cannot play the "lone striker" role, but not many can do that job well and I always thought that "one up front" was never going to work for us in this agricultural Division. I would prefer to see 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 in this Division but I still think we need at least one other strong, pacey, goal hungry striker to go with McNuts & Done.
UTB & FTP

I would actually like 3-5-2, but what it does all show is how disjointed we were under Clough and what a very difficult job Adkins has to "weld" these p[layers into decent unit.

It is not going to be easy, and can see a few rocky times pre Xmas as Adkins comes to terms with what is available.

Very interested to see what he thinks of Scoogal and if there is a place for him

UTB

Assuming the Beard is fit, how would we set up to play 352? Would Brayford be a wing back or would Flynn be more suited? Would Murphy be one of the two upfront? Have either McEv or Bob got the tactical nous to play wing back or would they get caught out at the back?
And who would be the 3?

For me Clive, it'd be 'proper' 4231, with at least one centre half with pace so you can play a high line, when one of the 2 goes forward the other stays back so the full backs can push up to make the width so the wingers can get into and around the box and support the striker, the '10' to make runs beyond the striker and, when we lose possession, press from the front. Liquid football.

I would actually like 3-5-2, but what it does all show is how disjointed we were under Clough and what a very difficult job Adkins has to "weld" these p[layers into decent unit.

It is not going to be easy, and can see a few rocky times pre Xmas as Adkins comes to terms with what is available.

Very interested to see what he thinks of Scoogal and if there is a place for him

UTB

I would expect quite a few "rocky" times if we dont sign two dominant CHs and at least one striker BEFORE the season starts.

I should imagine that if he's watched the DVDs of our games last season he will find it almost impossible to accommodate Scougal, Baxter & Higdon to name but 3.

He can't have failed to identify that our diminutive players were completely ineffective in league games and that Higdon was as mobile as the John Street Stand !!
UTB & FTP

Higdon was as mobile as the John Street Stand !!
UTB & FTP

I am going to stick my neck out here and probably get crucified along the way.

Higdon is very much in the mould of lambert - perhaps, and its just a perhaps Adkins can revive Higdon's career. Not to the point of being worth bucket loads, but just so that we get value for money out of him in a "WHITE" United shirt

Higdon could be like Wallace - a good pre-season and we just might see a different player.

UTB

PS: come October time you are allowed to come back at me about this, just be kind if he flopped ;)

020.jpg

Doesn't look that difficult to me and only £24

Back
Top Bottom