Simon Hooper

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Agreed. Isn’t it about time everyone heard the conversation between the ref and the VAR team ? Works perfectly well in rugby. Would end all the speculation about the decisions they come to.

They can't patch us in, we'd hear them celebrating when we play Liverpool, Spurs and Arsenal etc...

Don't ruin the game day experience for the VAR room...

The problem, as others have said, is the bias (unconscious or otherwise) that is inherently shown by referees towards the "big" clubs, and their big name players. The example of Haaland getting away with dissent (on the pitch at least) for screaming in Hooper's face, yet Bogle gets booked 3 days later being key.

The players and managers at these clubs now have so much power and influence, that referees are terrified of upsetting them. Hooper must have thought he'd got the absolute dream fixture immediately following his man city fuckup. All he has to do is not upset Klopp, or Van Dijk, and he's back in the clear with the authorities. Little old already relegated sheff utd don't actually matter. Even if (as he did) he goes on to make mistakes that cost us, nobody is going to kick up a huge stink about it. Had he (correctly) awarded us a penalty, and then sent off Nunez (2nd yellow) for the scissor tackle from behind on Bogle, Van Dijk would have been looming over him, screaming in his face on the pitch, Klopp would have lambasted him in interviews after the match, and the media would have highlighted his performance (again).

As it is, the expected team won, there was a bit of talk about the decisions, but it's all forgotten now.

I think some referees are bent. I don't think Hooper was bent on Weds night, I think he was scared of causing more controversy so soon, so he erred on the side of caution on the pitch, to our detriment. I genuinely think that with another ref, who hasn't been under the spotlight recently, we get at least one of the 2 "big" decisions the other night. We either get a pen, or their 2nd goal doesn't happen.

The problem, as others have said, is the bias (unconscious or otherwise) that is inherently shown by referees towards the "big" clubs, and their big name players. The example of Haaland getting away with dissent (on the pitch at least) for screaming in Hooper's face, yet Bogle gets booked 3 days later being key.

The players and managers at these clubs now have so much power and influence, that referees are terrified of upsetting them. Hooper must have thought he'd got the absolute dream fixture immediately following his man city fuckup. All he has to do is not upset Klopp, or Van Dijk, and he's back in the clear with the authorities. Little old already relegated sheff utd don't actually matter. Even if (as he did) he goes on to make mistakes that cost us, nobody is going to kick up a huge stink about it. Had he (correctly) awarded us a penalty, and then sent off Nunez (2nd yellow) for the scissor tackle from behind on Bogle, Van Dijk would have been looming over him, screaming in his face on the pitch, Klopp would have lambasted him in interviews after the match, and the media would have highlighted his performance (again).

As it is, the expected team won, there was a bit of talk about the decisions, but it's all forgotten now.

I think some referees are bent. I don't think Hooper was bent on Weds night, I think he was scared of causing more controversy so soon, so he erred on the side of caution on the pitch, to our detriment. I genuinely think that with another ref, who hasn't been under the spotlight recently, we get at least one of the 2 "big" decisions the other night. We either get a pen, or their 2nd goal doesn't happen.

He reffed that game as damage limitation to himself being his priority.

We need to compile a video of like for like incidents, egans handball for the pen has been repeated and worse but seen not given by "bigger" clubs and the pushing that's happened etc, bad challenges that went unpunished, the surrounding the ref that Man City and Liverpool get away with and mcburnies yellow for it etc.. Which lead to a red card..

This is why I hate the Premier league, you get a billionaire owner like Newcastle though, the reff is on his knees wanting to suck ya off cause you'll be spending big and enhancing the bussiness model..

Corrupt as fuck..

Spot on, great post.

The flaw in this plan is that the officials would have to start making on-field decisions. On the whole, they don't now until the move has broken down and give a token decision. If the move doesn't break down and something happens they wait for VAR.
Doesn't meant that it isn't the VAR Team carrying out the conspiracy as well!

Spot on ^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^

He used Blades to wash away his mistake vs Citteh at our cost.

Spot on, great post.
I think the ref was so nervous of upsetting another big name club .He was thinking about how it would look if Liverpool manager reared up against him like the Man city guy did just a couple of days ago . We can all remember what happened a couple of months ago with Liverpool wanting to replay a match and all the fuss that seemed to go on forever . It even made the front pages of the Daily newspapers and the ref was dropped from the list for a couple of weeks . Wilder complains and nothing said as we all know this bias towards big clubs is so common it happens every week and I dont think the powers that be realize it is actually happening .The ref was looking after his own job and his own future in the top flight and that I think influenced his decisions on the pitch .They know upsetting big managers means unwanted publicity from the big clubs and the media where as upsetting Wilder as no where near the same effect and goes more or less unnoticed .

Ultimately this is the problem with professional football it is so much more than "just a game". You have billionaire owners and shareholders, sponsors trying to raise profiles, Sky and Amazon etc bidding for games. Every successful team is run with a full business and revenue model however that looks through hospitality, other non ticket sales revenue etc. The players and coaches are essentially robots/machines for the business. The whole "new idea" of only allowing the captain to speak to referees etc is crazy, anyone should be able to respectably ask a question and get an answer at an appropriate time. Personally, I think managers and coaches should be removed from the dug outs which would be my first move.

Then dissent, which needs to be explained more clearly in my view, is shouting "I got the ball ref" dissent or What the F**K was that. You could easily say they have differing levels of dissent and grade them as such, something like below

1) Dispute - Things like "I got the ball ref" - no action other than a talking to if needed
2) Angry dispute - Things like "What the F**K was that" or a hand waving gesture etc- Yellow Card
3) Malice dispute - Things like in the face of referee or calling him a cheat etc - Red card

If the Premier League actually is going to remain as successful as it has for the last 25 years or so it has to clamp down on "corruption", lets be realistic the Saudi Pro League is trying to replace it for global viewing figures and best footballers that tells you all you need to know. I get there is more than just 3 points every game, there is revenue too however the Premier League and English football have allowed this too happen with too much foreign investment, greed and non compliance.

Until these people are put before the press after a game as per Managers to explain their decisions, this will just continue for ever and a day, leaving fans frustrated. Going back, I would love to have known Hoopers explanation for the wrestling move on Scougs

Until these people are put before the press after a game as per Managers to explain their decisions, this will just continue for ever and a day, leaving fans frustrated. Going back, I would love to have known Hoopers explanation for the wrestling move on Scougs
They did it in rugby league a while back and the referee wore a go-pro style head cam. When they used to go to the video referee on occasion they looked at the footage from the ref cam and it was good to see what angle they actually got. The pace of football these days is ridiculous, but it would be good to see even if it was just a friendly - what are the referees actually seeing. As when you are half way up the South Stand with your beer jacket on the decision is easy but if we saw the footage it could go some way to easing the blame, the referee didn't see it because this player got in the way but also could easily expose the accountability.

For me the problem is the incosisentecy of how VAR is applied plus the sheer incompetence of the officials using it. On the one hand we all complain that we can’t celebrate a goal until VAR has looked at it but then we complain that the McAtee pen was not given. There is no consistency in what is referred to VAR or when the VAR people should say to the ref you need to have a look at that push in the penalty area as it might amount to a pen. Problem is we don’t know when things will be referred as there’s no consistency. Personally I don’t think Hooper would have given us a pen anyway.

Clearly in the wrong job then, if he can't handle it. Let's forgive him for being shit at his job and obvious biased so we don't hurt his feelings and upset him.
I've no idea what you do for a living, but I'll assume you think you're pretty good at it.
Going forward from now on every single thing you do, every word you say, every decision everything they you produce will be scrutinised by thousands of people, some expert, some with no real knowledge. If they think you didn't do everything right they'll then publicly and personally criticise you. Demanding an apology from your employer.

I'm sure by doing this you'll get much better at your job. In fact the whole industry will.

Football has created an absolutely farcical situation.

They did it in rugby league a while back and the referee wore a go-pro style head cam. When they used to go to the video referee on occasion they looked at the footage from the ref cam and it was good to see what angle they actually got. The pace of football these days is ridiculous, but it would be good to see even if it was just a friendly - what are the referees actually seeing. As when you are half way up the South Stand with your beer jacket on the decision is easy but if we saw the footage it could go some way to easing the blame, the referee didn't see it because this player got in the way but also could easily expose the accountability.
sounds good, would be interesting LBA.

Rubbish. the first goal isn't fine. It is a foul on Anel. If you watch the footage carefully, van Dyke take a little look sideways to Anel, steps across with his legs as Anel comes past. You can't see it on the view from the 'New South Stand', as I didn't at first and thought it wasn't much, but you can see it easily from the view from the Bramall Lane end. Take another look and let me know what you think?

Yet it also asks the question; if Anel had been left to carry on with his run, following his man, then van Dyke would have been left un-marked and scored anyway. so who was supposed to be marking van Dyke. Robbo marked him closely on every other corner of the game!
The Daily Mail match report is even better.......'captain Anel Ahmedhodzic had the misfortune of tripping on Van Dijk's knee and falling over' 🤣🤣🤣

I've no idea what you do for a living, but I'll assume you think you're pretty good at it.
Going forward from now on every single thing you do, every word you say, every decision everything they you produce will be scrutinised by thousands of people, some expert, some with no real knowledge. If they think you didn't do everything right they'll then publicly and personally criticise you. Demanding an apology from your employer.

I'm sure by doing this you'll get much better at your job. In fact the whole industry will.

Football has created an absolutely farcical situation.
Yes I am pretty good at my job and not only do I assume but the higher ups in my company thank you.

As it happens my work is scrutinised and put under a microscope by experts from around the world. It needs to be precise with no real margin for error (aerospace).

As I say, he's in the wrong job if he can't deal with the pressure and stress, he knows exactly what the job entails and the shit they have to put up with, right from grassroots upwards. He can easily get another job if he can't hack it.

The things you list wouldn't really bother me and so I still have no sympathy for him nor the people that feel sorry for someone not doing his job. Some people are just mentally weak and so shouldn't be in that position.

Spot on ^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^

He used Blades to wash away his mistake vs Citteh at our cost.
Liverpool aren’t getting any VAR decisions against them for a long time after the disallowed goal vs Spurs

Yes I am pretty good at my job and not only do I assume but the higher ups in my company thank you.

As it happens my work is scrutinised and put under a microscope by experts from around the world. It needs to be precise with no real margin for error (aerospace).

As I say, he's in the wrong job if he can't deal with the pressure and stress, he knows exactly what the job entails and the shit they have to put up with, right from grassroots upwards. He can easily get another job if he can't hack it.

The things you list wouldn't really bother me and so I still have no sympathy for him nor the people that feel sorry for someone not doing his job. Some people are just mentally weak and so shouldn't be in that position.
Look forward to reading your 1-2-1 with your manager in the mail on Sunday 🤣

Look forward to reading your 1-2-1 with your manager in the mail on Sunday 🤣
Wouldn't look forward too it with excitement. Only once a year and is practically same as last one. 9's out of 10 throughout with a few 10s thrown in mind you😏.

For anyone watching the Liverpool match...

They've just had a penalty cancelled for a challenge much softer than the one on bogle.

Corrupt
I’m sitting here absolutely fuming. As it goes, I think this was the correct decision, but it’s a softer one than the other night, takes 3-4 mins to sort out. They don’t even look at ours twice.

Scared shitless of that toothsome tosspot, the officials.

This is an example of Big Club bias' amongst officials. Was Simon Hopper also devastated that he missed a blatant foul for Liverpool's second goal against us? I doubt it. When a referee makes an error that impacts a Big Six club they face far more scrutiny, making them more likely to be reluctant to make big calls against these clubs.

Back
Top Bottom