2022/2023 Match Thread Sheffield United v. Luton Town - 11th March 2023

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SUFC
SUFC
SUFC

Final

Final
Final
LUT
LUT
LUT
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
sufc.gif
vs.
lutontown.png

Championship Week 36 - Saturday 11th March 2023 - 15:00 - Bramall Lane

Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings - https://www.s24su.com/forum/match-day/match/sheffield-united-vs-luton-town.640/

Officials:

Referee: Leigh Doughty
Assistant Referee: Mark Dwyer
Assistant Referee: Lee Venamore
Fourth Official: Stephen Martin

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter: https://twitter.com/s24su

Need a VPN? - https://www.s24su.com/forum/threads/vpn-usage.87094/

1671401521883.png

📺
Live TV Coverage:

SUTV Live - https://live.sufc.co.uk/

Enough of the humble pie humility tonight.

Not going up. Not consistent enough. Preparing for the pain already. Probably knocked out by Watford in the play-offs.

Nigerian Email Prince take-over, possibly the most dangerous moment in the club’s history.

Our parochial directorate prevented Hecky from being able to purchase in our most important transfer window in years.

Hecky has worked miracles with threadbare resources.

But I’m convinced this squad, manager and directorate will not take us towards sustainable Premiership football any time soon.

I think our usual decade outside the top tier started today.

Please may I be wrong at the end of the season and find myself back on the humble pie!

UTB
Disagree , we have the players it’s just Hecky is using the wrong combination of players in games

wheres the team gone that played before the world cup or even beat Swansea so well last month, 2nd half was better than 1st. not it couldve been any worse at least there was energy. that was a real struggle. particularly midfield, there's no spark, passing is sloppy. i couldnt see how the same team came out for the 2nd half. as i wouldve changed 3 or 4 subs at half time

but like reading a poor game 1 bit of quality won it & but this time on wrong side of it. Sunderland again is a massive game & Blackburn at this rate might as well book there hotels for Wembley at this rate. as we have got so many out of form

We possess one of the biggest PL collapses of all time when we tried to pin the relegation on Tevez. An almighty collapse in L1 which was blamed on the Ched Evans situation. What event will be used as an excuse for one of the biggest Championship collapses?
Lots of options for that …It ll be blamed on the Prince, Dozy, covid, Gary Lineker woukd be my scapegoat- sure we could make up a reason somehow

I wonder if McAtee and Doyle look at each other when they see the squad with Fleck and Norwood in it and think “Why do we fucking bother?”. This squad is starting to remind me of Porterfields 1985 side. A new Dads Army. Playing down their ill advised and stupid contracts given to them by a Board and Management clearly away with the Fairies. And then give a journeyman manager and his staff five year contracts, Talk about a fucking gravy train. I bet they couldn’t believe their luck when the simpleton in charge of contracts put that in front of them.

We were tripe today, absolute tripe.

So many below par performances. How Lowe and Bogle saw out 90 minutes is beyond me. Fleck and Berge just passengers.

Rubbish today.

It's awful watching us throw the season away

I don't over react and throw the toys out of the pram when we lose. I'm usually a considered happy clapper however got to say

That was one of our worse home displays since Scunthorpe (Adkins final match)....shockingly bad and almost laughable at times.
For those who didn't go consider yourself lucky...the 1st half was a total bore fest....with both teams playing for a 0-0 at half-time.
However the worrying thing is Luton looked slightly better on the ball....we struggled to string 3 passes together and looked short on confidence or desire.

Second half both teams upped the tempo in the 2nd half but neither team looked like scoring.
Then out of the blue Luton score, the game needed a goal and we all expected a reaction but it never really came
When Luton had to defend they always had big numbers back so we struggled to create a single chance. The only realistic chance we had was in injury time when McBurnie had a free header from close range but put it past the post (similar chance to Kanes injury time header in the cup)

Positives
1: Our defence was still decent as Luton never really threatened apart from their solitary goal.
2: Maybe we're not as bad as we looked and we should credit Luton for being a horrible team to play against, putting 2 players on N'Diaye marking him out of the game and also putting a player on Norwood marking him out of the game too. They pressed us in midfield and seem to win every second ball. Also Luton were good at breaking up play, every time we had a 5 minute spell of half decent play then their player would go down with cramp.

Negatives
1: For months now no system of playing apart from pass it to Norwood and he'll try the long ball.
2: Our players really struggle to retain possession. So many ms placed passes today it was embarrassing.
We don't have a midfield, the opposition always control the centre area as though they have more players than us
3: The body language was poor, as though they've lost confidence, heart and desire. We could have played all day and not scored.

Many of the negatives are down to the manager.

At halt-time we were really lethargic with Bogle and Fleck (in particular) looking really poor.
We have good replacements for these 2, every one can have a poor game, so I was saying make the subs at half time, bring on Baldock and Doyle for Bogle and Fleck.
Those around me said Hecky will have decided the subs and the timings before the match started.

Last edited:
Lots of options for that …It ll be blamed on the Prince, Dozy, covid, Gary Lineker woukd be my scapegoat- sure we could make up a reason somehow

I am going to go with the Queens passing. That bunched up some of the fixtures and cost us promotion...

Absolutely disgusting.
The players should be giving their wages to Bluebell Wood this week, because they haven't earned a penny of it!
What an absolute disgrace.
Heckington the same.
Team selection was crap, subs were crap, the man just seems to have gone to shit, along with our promotion hopes!
The club is an absolute shambles at the moment, top to bottom, its totally unacceptable.

Sarbs was backing the negative tactics in the first half though , this collapse is down to Hecky … we have gone from trying to win every game 3 or 4 nil to shoring it up and hoping for a goal on the break like at Reading.

We are going further back in our shell every game and he’s got to change it for the next game , Anel hardly gets forward now and that is where most of our goals come from when our defenders are getting in their box.

It’s a mystery how Heckys mind set has altered since the World Cup and hes changed how we set up when it was going so well????
Did you see how static Lowe and Bogle were?? Why did they both keep stopping on the halfway line to receive the ball… get down the wing behind the opposition!
Sweet Jaysus f’ing Christ! Basics!

Before I get going it's worth noting that Luton have the second best away record in the league.

View attachment 155649
That being said, what a woeful performance.

The pitch looks an absolute mess now as well and it seems to be impacting on our game, both defensively and offensively.

We never really got going first half and it was a scrappy game. Too many players lacking composure. Too many pointless hoofs and mispasses. Too many lost battles upfront and at the back. Too many poor performances. Too slow on and off the ball. Lacking anticipation and just generally shit. We hardly created anything.

Our passing was mind-numbingly bad. Constantly putting players under pressure with under-hit or overhit passes under no pressure. And even then, the control was often parklike.

Wes - 6 - Nothing he could do about the goal. Kicking was okish.
Lowe - 5.5 - Mixed. He actually did a fair few good things, both going forward and defensively. Getting his foot in etc. Made a number of unforced errors as well.
Robinson - 6 - The only CB who didn't look like a donkey. Put under unnecessary pressure far too often.
Egan - 4 - Ball-watching for their goal and not backing Fleck up. Lost the battle with their number 9 all day. Slow, ponderous, easily pulled out of position.
Anel - 5 - Looked half asleep at times. Constantly pulls shirts very unsubtly. Made a number of errors first half. A bit better in the second but lacked composure throughout.
Bogle - 4 - Poor. His control is either world class or pub class. Lacks concentration and makes schoolboy errors. Runs into trouble far too often and defensively suspect throughout. Had to take a booking for Berge and then not putting challenges in. Furious needs to play on Tuesday.
Fleck - 3 - Looked like he was in one of those legends 5-aside. Got utterly done for the goal (foul him ffs?) and was slow and caught on the ball Passing all over the shop. Dire.
Norwood - 5 - Terrible on the ball. There was a spell when he booted it to the opposition, got it straight back and then just booted it to their keeper. Completely lacked composure and got caught sleepwalking with the ball. Got stronger defensively as the game went on and won a fair few tackles.
Berge - 5.5 - Lost the ball first half and then didn't bother to try and get it back meaning Bogle had to take a yellow. In fairness, repaid Bogle with a very good track back and tackle when they burst through. Looked better than normal at times but he's so ponderous when he's on the ball. There's no urgency. He has to take a touch and go sideways. Slows everything down. Doesn't know where his teammates are. He did do a few good things on the edge of their box and he was actually better defensively than normal but I expect so much more.
Ndiaye - 5 - Was terrible at times and consistently turned into trouble when he had the ball. He did get better as the game went on and made a fair few good runs. He was more influential when he dropped further back.
McBurnie - 4 - He mistimed almost every header he went up for first half and was far too interested in trying to buy a file than competing for the ball. The ref let stuff go (he was ok, relatively speaking) and he needs to be much stronger. He did defend corners well. I thought first half he was fairly static, giving players few options. He mad more runs second half without being picked out. His headers at goal are poor. He need to put balls back across the box when he knows he can't get enough power on them.

Subs:

Sharp - 3 - He gets 3 for his assault on their defender which he got away with. Should have been sent off. Cunt behaviour. He's club captain and needs to grow up. He was largely slow and poor in open play, but did hold high balls up better than McBurnie. Had one chance he couldn't react to quickly enough and one he slashed at from miles out. He offers very little off the bench now.
Doyle - 4.5 - He is really bad at coming off the bench. Struggles really badly to get up to speed and looks stretched and panicky when he's on the ball.
McAtee - 5 - At least tried to get forward and involved. It didn't really come off

Hecky - 4 - Not sure what the game plan was today. Can't really argue with the first XI but we looked so devoid of energy and ideas. We were just hoofing long balls most of the second half. There was little cohesion and a lot of anxiousness. Not good enough.

Luton - They are strong and combative but they also have some decent players. They played more than I expected first half but created nothing. Indeed, aside from the goal Wes had nothing to do. Edwards had them really well drilled and he's done us twice now. They have a great away record and you can see why. Very difficult to beat and an absolute nightmare for defenders. Their left sided attacker gave Bogle a rough time all game but I thought Lockyer, despite being a bit of a twat, played really well.

Asaba - Watched it on SUTV and he spent the first half saying it was a good game plan to keep it tight and make them attack and the second criticising the manager for not attacking from the start. What a penis.
I can argue with the starting X1, Doyle and George should have started

People having a go at hecky should take a step back and remember he has got this shower of shite to 2nd in the league

You are correct, he has, and so have the players.

But something is going very wrong, things are going tits up.

Maybe it’s off field events? I don’t know, but it’s summat, we are imploding

Awful game but Hecky if you had hooked Fleck in the 1st half he wouldn't have been embarrassed in the 2nd half by being nutmegged for the only goal of the game.

So does somebody need to have the nerve to take the unpopular gamble and get shot of him before the play offs?

Even if we did (which I don’t think we will as we can’t afford the pay off) who do we get?

Give it to Macca and / or Jack? Surely they share some culpability?

Which would leave a new appointment, by a club under embargo and whose chairman has seemingly run out of cash.

Not dissing what you’re saying, really trying to ask what’s next if we were to get rid.

Even if we did (which I don’t think we will as we can’t afford the pay off) who do we get?

Give it to Macca and / or Jack? Surely they share some culpability?

Which would leave a new appointment, by a club under embargo and whose chairman has seemingly run out of cash.

Not dissing what you’re saying, really trying to ask what’s next if we were to get rid.

Fair points, but given the last few games and the complete unwillingness to go with our best foot forward in games, I'd probably take the first person I see.

Today, 6 hour drive from St Andrews to Stockport & then a tricky drive to the game over one of the few routes open & back.
Didn’t get in to the ground until 3:20, wish I hadn’t bothered!

Anyone got a league table of the top 7 or 8 teams against each other?

At the start of the season we kept beating these teams. We now seem incapable of beating even half decent teams unless we grind out a 1 nil.

Just watched the latest edition of the Sheffield United way!.
Absolutely brilliant rant by the chap who presented it.The players and Hecki should be forced to sit through it as it will make them squirm.
Agreed with every word and it was remarkable how he kept his focus as it was a full on rant choosing his words very well under the circumstances.
I recommend any Blade to watch it full of passion and many home truths, well done that fella I think is name is Peter.

Disagree , we have the players it’s just Hecky is using the wrong combination of players in games
I hope you’re right as that’s rectifiable.

But currently everything within me senses a combination of Danny Wilson’s lack of Plan B end-of-season, the Hull City FA Cup Semi-Final disappointment and Clough’s bizarre Swindon play-off performance. all rolled into one excruciatingly painful end to 2022/23 for us all. 😣

UTB

993870C1-75BD-476C-A367-CAAA9D9DA627.jpeg

FD402C91-90AF-4C9F-BAE4-CE061C1DB03F.jpegA3B482C4-EC1E-4387-887B-798CFCEC1208.jpeg

I hope you’re right as that’s rectifiable.

But currently everything within me senses a combination of Danny Wilson’s lack of Plan B end-of-season, the Hull City FA Cup Semi-Final disappointment and Clough’s bizarre Swindon play-off performance. all rolled into one excruciatingly painful end to 2022/23 for us all. 😣

UTB

View attachment 155677

View attachment 155678
As a few have said today the two City lads in midfield fir fleck and Norwood and George for Bogle would have seen a better performance imo

If I look at our run-in and Boro’s, ours is hellish.
Hopefully Burnley will be up when we play them and they have had a piss up all week and Norwich away then I don’t think it’s too tough , boros game with Stoke midweek is no gimme!

Just watched the latest edition of the Sheffield United way!.
Absolutely brilliant rant by the chap who presented it.The players and Hecki should be forced to sit through it as it will make them squirm.
Agreed with every word and it was remarkable how he kept his focus as it was a full on rant choosing his words very well under the circumstances.
I recommend any Blade to watch it full of passion and many home truths, well done that fella I think is name is Peter.

Very much agree.

Some YouTubers exaggerate for the effect but Ollie was pretty measured and very accurate in his assessment.

He mentions a good point that in previous losses you can always scrape the barrel mentioning some positives
but today was so bad it was shockingly bad....our worse display since the days of Connor Sammon up front..

it wasn't just the woeful quality, so many mis placed passes when under no pressure....anyone can have an off day.....it was the attitude and body language that worried me. It's as though many of the players doubt they'll be given a contract if we go up into the PL.....so they've thought why bother.
We started so slowly and our plan seemed to be to play for a 0-0 draw. Once they scored they shut up shop and we were clueless trying to break them down.
The players just didn't seem mentally or tactically prepared....and that's down to the manager.

Did you see how static Lowe and Bogle were?? Why did they both keep stopping on the halfway line to receive the ball… get down the wing behind the opposition!
Sweet Jaysus f’ing Christ! Basics!
They've been caught out in recent matches so now they've been told to hold back ... Trouble is , our midfield is so slow , we have nothing to attack with.
WBs need to be sensible , if one commits forward , the other should stay back as cover.

Back
Top Bottom