Match Thread Sheffield United v. Everton - 2nd September 2023

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SUFC
SUFC
SUFC

Final

Final
Final
EVER
EVER
EVER
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1693525124466.png vs. 1693525131654.png

Premier League Matchweek 4 - Saturday 2nd September 2023 - 12:30 - Bramall Lane
Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings - https://www.s24su.com/forum/match-day/match/sheffield-united-vs-everton.660/

Officials:

Referee: Andy Madley
Assistants: Harry Lennard, Nick Hopton
Fourth Official: Jeremy Simpson
VAR: Simon Hooper
Assistant VAR: Akil Howson

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter: https://twitter.com/s24su
Threads: https://www.threads.net/@s24su
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/s24su/

Need a VPN? - https://www.s24su.com/forum/threads/vpn-usage.87094/

VPNAd.png

📺
Live TV Coverage:

Screenshot 2023-09-01 at 00.38.10.png

Has our 25 man squad been announced? Thought they were meant to be submitted when the window closes?

Good points,
Archer, McBurnie, Thomas, Hamer 1st half, but drifted 2nd half, Souzas strength. Decent ref for a change, 2 goals, first point, still outside relegation zone.
Bad points
Mr Pointy's attempted Hollywood balls that gave possession away and his poor defensive work. Defence looking shaky, where is Trusty? Think he'll work well with Thomas. Traore looked out of his depth against the big boys. Why not Osula against the giants...
Hecky's baffling subs???
Overall, deserved the draw, didn't give a late goal away. Everton are brutal, they'll flatten Burnley, Luton, Bournemouth and maybe Wolves and Florist. We could have snatched it, but they could also have done the same. A draw about fair imo. Onward we go, with the Mack back we should continue to improve. Tighten the defence, avoid injuries and we'll be reyt! Improving every game. Keep the faith.

What the fk you on about he's got nearly all the players he wanted his tactics leave a lot to be desired there's everyone saying what a window we've had not one player on bench to improve the eleven on from ko, imo I think we're gonna be in bottom five or six all season but have a chance
Most promoted teams end up in the bottom six. What the fk I'm saying is that there was no forward thinking from above in the transfer window as we are permitted for sale, and we are now having a preseason four games in.

Overall I thought it was a fair enough result. Individually most of our players were decent today but as a team we looked uncoordinated.
The sum of the parts adding up more than the team unit. We
The couple of weeks break will allow the new players to get more familiar with how their team mates work and what positions to get into.

Archer is a finisher and just what we needed I think Thomas did well when he came on, he can read the game and doesn't bite too early like Lowe. Hamer was involved in a lot of our good stuff, made mistakes too but definitely the type of player who could work with McAtee.

Thought Everton were slightly the better side so was feeling slightly fortunate to get a draw but then in the final seconds we were so unlucky not to score.
Could have easily won it but overall thought a draw was a fair result...no complaints really.

Thought Everton were decent, kept thinking if that's poor team at this level...then there's a massive gap between the Championship and the Premier League.
Apart from when we played Boro, Everton were better than any team we faced in the Championship least season at Bramall Lane.

Positives
Archer- hardly touched the ball but he scores one and assists the other off Pickford, both quality finishes.
McBurnie - doesnt look good and lacks quality but he's an absolute nuisance for PL defences, works so hard too.
Man City struggled against him and Everton were the same todays. McBurnie is also good defensively.
It's funny really, McBurnie seems a better player in the PL than he is the Championship, been really impressed, keep it up.
Impressed with some of the new players - Impressed with Souza, looks a beast in midfield and we've really lacked that type of player for years.
Hamer looks quality and with McAtee to join them in midfield, that's a nice 3 who I think will be up to the level of the PL.
Also think McBurnie and Archer could be a threat. So if we stay injury free, we have the makings of a decent first 11...that has a realistic chance of staying up.
Luke Thomas- Looked decent at left full back, as you would expect since he has so many PL games behind him.
Larouchy- thought he was threat going forward, bit of a loose cannon, so you don't know what to expect, could be a liability but does look threatening getting forward.

Negatives
Our style of play- we still have long spells of passing it to Norwood who just keeps punting it long, 1 in 7 are great passes where as 6 in 7 passes just return the ball back to the opposition, this might be OK in the Championship but in the PL you need to treasure possession a bit more.
Thought it was a disgrace that we had Cameron Archer in our side and he hardly touched the ball. We kept punting it long asking his to chase balls.
I kept thinking surely it's not much to ask "why can't we just once in a while, play it to his feet"?
Norwood- Looks for the Hollywood ball too much. Beginning of the 2nd half, we take the kick-off pass it back to Norwood who just pumped it long straight to their keeper. What was that all about? and you would expect Hecky agrees with the tactics of Norwood pumping it long all the time, cheaply loosing possession.
Traore - looks incredibly light weight, almost like a little kid. Our threat seem to diminish when Archer was replaced by Traore.
He tries hard so will never criticise him too much and he's not ready yet, which isn't his fault....one for the future but he needs a few months in the gym pumping iron.
Let's not forge in the early days N'Diaye was light weight, easily knocked off the ball....then after one Summer he came back full of muscle and strong on the ball.

Last edited:
Unarguably McBurnie and Archer formed an excellent partnership today until Archer ran out of steam.
What worries me is that we have absolutely no back up of Premier League standard as we saw in the first 3 matches.
4 PL standard strikers are required as we saw at Forest recently.

A good 2 weeks to develop more understanding and get more tight as a unit, hope Egan is ok, looked like a knee though ffs….

Promising up top tho, and I’m more optimistic than I was a week or so ago.

Defensively, Trusty needs to be involved, looks like he may now get his chance.
Surely Egan misses international duty now

How much more preseason can you get than a mostly reserve game against Lincoln with half of it used with the express purpose of getting minutes into players like mcburnie who missed preseason.

It’s odd he’s not considered fit enough to even come off the bench for 10 minutes.
It's getting minutes in games which is why preseason games are important. They get you up to speed in playing games.

Unarguably McBurnie and Archer formed an excellent partnership today until Archer ran out of steam.
What worries me is that we have absolutely no back up of Premier League standard as we saw in the first 3 matches.
4 PL standard strikers are required as we saw at Forest recently.
I'm sure we were supposed to be bringing a striker in on Friday - don't know what happened there - £5m on Traore seems a waste when he's always gonna be too small for PL - I would have sent Osula on today against their giants - at least Jebbo illness means he's not gone out on loan so potentially have 2 big lads but neither can currently reach the standard required as very well demonstrated by McBurnie today

Surely Egan misses international duty now
Egan has looked very shaky this season.
His injury arose from his own failure to deal with a situation in which he was in command but contrived to turn it into a tussle with his oppo who then got away from him and in a desperate attempt to stop him , Egan got his legs in a tangle.
We have some real vulnerabilities in the squad , one of which is having no real competition for the shirts of either Anel or Egan.
And when either of those are absent which they are bound to be at various stages through injury or suspension , there is only Bash.
If either lose form (and I believe neither are at the top of their game) Hecky is going to be reluctant to drop them for Bash.
Trusty is supposed to be an upgrade on Robbo but hasn't yet played in PL and Hecky is not going to trust either of them in the middle , so the only backup for CCB is Anel , which brings Bash in again (so having Trusty doesn't help).
The club need to tell Egan to avoid international duty and get some work done in training with his new teammates and find some form.

Egan as looked poor since JOC got injured , few years since now int it?

Just hope that stat/image does not get what Burnley got today from Spurs..our next opponents...teams never follow up huge scoring wins with a similar win in the next game........

Can i just say we smashed Burnley 5-2 last season what happened in the next game we lost to Rotherham 1-0.

Spurs berra watch it.

Just looked at the highlights. Pickford was immense

I've always been a fan of Pickford anyway, but today he went even further up in my estimations, not just for his performance, but the way he reacted to the Kop, almost in a Pressman sort of way. I don't know if the majority of Blades on the Kop were applauding United's efforts directly after Pickford's triple save, or if they were applauding the saves, but I for one was definitely aiming my applause towards Everton's custodian, the spawny get!

I've always been a fan of Pickford anyway, but today he went even further up in my estimations, not just for his performance, but the way he reacted to the Kop, almost in a Pressman sort of way. I don't know if the majority of Blades on the Kop were applauding United's efforts directly after Pickford's triple save, or if they were applauding the saves, but I for one was definitely aiming my applause towards Everton's custodian, the spawny get!
Yes he was very good. At the final whistle he turned to the kop and kind of shrugged and put his hands out. Kind of sorry that's football, how did that happen sort of thing. Seems a decent character.

Overall I thought it was a fair enough result. Individually most of our players were decent today but as a team we looked uncoordinated.
The sum of the parts adding up more than the team unit. We
The couple of weeks break will allow the new players to get more familiar with how their team mates work and what positions to get into.

Archer is a finisher and just what we needed I think Thomas did well when he came on, he can read the game and doesn't bite too early like Lowe. Hamer was involved in a lot of our good stuff, made mistakes too but definitely the type of player who could work with McAtee.
Thomas was also communicating regularly with his team mates.
When their equaliser went in Larouci avoided the stares eminating from Robbo n Egan.He does look nervous and a bit raw bless him.Thomas much more assured. Confidence certainly helps.

Yes he was very good. At the final whistle he turned to the kop and kind of shrugged and put his hands out. Kind of sorry that's football, how did that happen sort of thing. Seems a decent character
Pickford is a much maligned keeper in the media for some reason (probably as he isn’t at a big 6 club). Seemed to be a concerted effort to get Ramsdale as England’s number One last season, but I don’t think he is even close to Pickford as an all-round keeper. I thought Pickford was very impressive in the flesh. And as you say, I liked him acknowledging the crowd at the end and the little moment with McB.

Thought Everton were slightly the better side so was feeling slightly fortunate to get a draw but then in the final seconds we were so unlucky not to score.
Could have easily won it but overall thought a draw was a fair result...no complaints really.

Thought Everton were decent, kept thinking if that's poor team at this level...then there's a massive gap between the Championship and the Premier League.
Apart from when we played Boro, Everton were better than any team we faced in the Championship least season at Bramall Lane.

Positives
Archer- hardly touched the ball but he scores one and assists the other off Pickford, both quality finishes.
McBurnie - doesnt look good and lacks quality but he's an absolute nuisance for PL defences, works so hard too.
Man City struggled against him and Everton were the same todays. McBurnie is also good defensively.
It's funny really, McBurnie seems a better player in the PL than he is the Championship, been really impressed, keep it up.
Impressed with some of the new players - Impressed with Souza, looks a beast in midfield and we've really lacked that type of player for years.
Hamer looks quality and with McAtee to join them in midfield, that's a nice 3 who I think will be up to the level of the PL.
Also think McBurnie and Archer could be a threat. So if we stay injury free, we have the makings of a decent first 11...that has a realistic chance of staying up.
Luke Thomas- Looked decent at left full back, as you would expect since he has so many PL games behind him.
Larouchy- thought he was threat going forward, bit of a loose cannon, so you don't know what to expect, could be a liability but does look threatening getting forward.

Negatives
Our style of play- we still have long spells of passing it to Norwood who just keeps punting it long, 1 in 7 are great passes where as 6 in 7 passes just return the ball back to the opposition, this might be OK in the Championship but in the PL you need to treasure possession a bit more.
Thought it was a disgrace that we had Cameron Archer in our side and he hardly touched the ball. We kept punting it long asking his to chase balls.
I kept thinking surely it's not much to ask "why can't we just once in a while, play it to his feet"?
Norwood- Looks for the Hollywood ball too much. Beginning of the 2nd half, we take the kick-off pass it back to Norwood who just pumped it long straight to their keeper. What was that all about? and you would expect Hecky agrees with the tactics of Norwood pumping it long all the time, cheaply loosing possession.
Traore - looks incredibly light weight, almost like a little kid. Our threat seem to diminish when Archer was replaced by Traore.
He tries hard so will never criticise him too much and he's not ready yet, which isn't his fault....one for the future but he needs a few months in the gym pumping iron.
Let's not forge in the early days N'Diaye was light weight, easily knocked off the ball....then after one Summer he came back full of muscle and strong on the ball.
Sorry to nit pick but from the ko second half Norwood didn't kick it through to Pickford, he played it out to McB who clashed heads with the Everton defender.

Back
Top Bottom