'Memries' Sheffield United 1978-1979

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Recovered ..... from season 78/79 ? I've never been reight since !!

All good here BB thanks .
I recall you were quite ill a couple of years ago. (I have a different user name to BM but same avatar). Not been on BM for a long time.

Assuming you're the same CHL of course.

These clips show just how good a player Gary Hamson was. If he'd played in the team in the early 1970's he could well be up there on the legendary status.

A player that deserved better than the era we were able to offer him.

These clips show just how good a player Gary Hamson was. If he'd played in the team in the early 1970's he could well be up there on the legendary status.

A player that deserved better than the era we were able to offer him.
Fully agree. Overall, he was a better player than Sabella. Still the only player at the club to have made at least 100 League starts as a teenager

So even back then we sold Edwards pre season and got rid of other youngsters.

Why did we persist with Haslam he seemed awful?

Were folk retarded in the 70s as the commentator says what strip teams were in?

Speight n Anderson seemed good.

What was the trouble in the last game like?

I was working in south west Wales and missed the Liverpool game. I had all the local papers sent down and could sense what an atmosphere there must have been that night..

When the draw was made for the next round - Leeds at home I made sure I could get some time off.

I thought if we could beat Liverpool then we'd do the same to Leeds. Just as important was the fact TC would be playing.

What a disappointment. Lost 4-1 and TC got a load of abuse from fans who only two years before idolised the guy. Maybe this was the night when I realised our 1970's dream was finally over and that worse was to come the next season....

Speight n Anderson seemed good.

Anderson might have scored vital goals but he was an average striker. He was a midfielder at Luton and scored a good goal against us in our 3-0 home defeat in January 1977 (highlights of the match was shown on MOTD and England manager, Don Revie, was watching the game)

Argentina! Arrrrgenteeena!

Also, the state of the pitch in that Miwwaww game.....

Really 'enjoyed' that. Great soundtrack. The Sunderland game was the first time I stood on the Kop after just turning 12. Used to live on Dalton Street and a group of us walked to the game most matches. The only name that is completely unfamiliar to me on the team sheet is Harwood. Never heard any mention of him before. It was a great match and atmosphere. The official attendance was given as 18,000 plus. Our capacity at that time was 49,000. Just looking at the highlights you can see the ground was more than half full. Sunderland brought several thousand. Steve Conroy was at fault for the Leyton Orient goals looking at the highlights. Way off his line in no man's land for the first one. And Nicky John's blundered for Sunderland's first. Selling Stainrod was a mistake when he was supposed to be Edward's replacement. And I remember Leeds signed Gary Hamson for around £175,000 at some point. At the end of the Millwall highlights it said Sheff Utd 0 Millwall 1 but it was 0.2? I remember seeing Millwall beat us 1.0 at Bramall Lane but I think that was an early season game must have been later. Happy Harry has a Sheffield accent in that but I think he was a Cockney. It was soon Unhappy Harry.

Really 'enjoyed' that. Great soundtrack. The Sunderland game was the first time I stood on the Kop after just turning 12. Used to live on Dalton Street and a group of us walked to the game most matches. The only name that is completely unfamiliar to me on the team sheet is Harwood. Never heard any mention of him before. It was a great match and atmosphere. The official attendance was given as 18,000 plus. Our capacity at that time was 49,000. Just looking at the highlights you can see the ground was more than half full. Sunderland brought several thousand. Steve Conroy was at fault for the Leyton Orient goals looking at the highlights. Way off his line in no man's land for the first one. And Nicky John's blundered for Sunderland's first. Selling Stainrod was a mistake when he was supposed to be Edward's replacement. And I remember Leeds signed Gary Hamson for around £175,000 at some point. At the end of the Millwall highlights it said Sheff Utd 0 Millwall 1 but it was 0.2? I remember seeing Millwall beat us 1.0 at Bramall Lane but I think that was an early season game must have been later. Happy Harry has a Sheffield accent in that but I think he was a Cockney. It was soon Unhappy Harry.
Richard Harwood and his wife sometimes posts in Blades related Facebook groups

Is there an easy way to search for the other posts in this series Walthy? I have just tried searching on the title 'memries' and your ident without success.

Oh! bad flashbacks of the day we were relegated to the 3rd div for the first time, something I thought I would never see, on that fateful day when we lost 1-0 at Cambridge. I remember vividly seeing dear old Shred sat on the floor sobbing his eyes out bless him.Little did we know then that much worse was to come!

My first season, Cambridge away was my first away game

Gary Hamson said no good ever comes from a manager (HHH) taking a percentage of transfer out fees. look what happened !

My first season, Cambridge away was my first away game
Ironically , a few months later we went back there in a pre season match and won 1-0 (Barry Butlin scored}

Ironically , a few months later we went back there in a pre season match and won 1-0 (Barry Butlin scored}

There was a song for Barry, to the tune of "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang"

"Oi, you! Barry Barry Butlin, Barry Barry Butlin we love you..."

Selling Stainrod was a mistake when he was supposed to be Edward's replacement.

They made their debuts in the same season; 75/76 (Edwards in January and Stainrod in March).

Like Hamson and Varadi, Edwards was sold because a decent offer came in. There was no 'plan'.

40 years and 1 day ago Gary Hamson scored this against the European cup winners!!View attachment 43632
The was a thread on this game some time ago, a big debate about which end of the ground the goal was scored, that picture was used to end the debate. I was on the Kop and remember it hitting the back of the net. What a night. The Leeds game was a big let down.

The only Season I have done all the games home and away, League, League Cup and FA Cup

The first game of the Season, the Ticker Tape welcome for the Teams, borrowed from the Argie World Cup played that summer

A fantastic start Vs Orient .... which went a bit pear shaped, then an away win at Leicester courtesy of John Mathews

A win over the European Champions

Ended up on the wrong end at Burnley (Woody sent off), Oldham and Palace ... :eek: ... survived ;)

Given a footballing lesson by Terry Venables Palace Teams, a win at Newcastle with Bruce Rioch in the Team

Fuckers up the Floodlights at Cambridge, ended in disarray at Home Vs Leicester

Relegated

All Blades Magic in mi ead :)
Crystal Palace wore our away shirts at BDTBL, we won away at home 0:2 I think :D

Thanks Walthy was at a good few of those games home and away was even at that stoke game , god is was a bad season , and a pretty nasty one off the pitch as well last few games Cambridge away and Leicester at home in particular

Back
Top Bottom