Season Ticket prices for Season 1978-1979

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

HopeValleyBlade

Jonathan Abbey
Reaction score
I first went to Bramall Lane, I think, in 1970. Although my Dad was a lifelong Blade he never had a season ticket until he retired as he always worked every Saturday. So I went to the occasional match with school friends. The price list is from the match-day programme from 1st April 1978 (but not a joke!). It was a Division Two match against Blackpool and the programme cost 15p. I don't remember the match - not surprising as the final score was 0-0!

Why am I posting this? I'm desperately trying to find SUFC-related stuff that takes my mind off this season.

SUFC Season Ticket prices for 1978-1979.jpg

I first went to Bramall Lane, I think, in 1970. Although my Dad was a lifelong Blade he never had a season ticket until he retired as he always worked every Saturday. So I went to the occasional match with school friends. The price list is from the match-day programme from 1st April 1978 (but not a joke!). It was a Division Two match against Blackpool and the programme cost 15p. I don't remember the match - not surprising as the final score was 0-0!

Why am I posting this? I'm desperately trying to find SUFC-related stuff that takes my mind off this season.

View attachment 172738
My first game at Bramall Lane was in 1970 as well.
I remember when I was going around 76-78 I was given 79p for each game, 75p to sit in the South Stand, 2p for the bus there & 2p for the bus home! Occasionally got more so I could get a program & a Bovril, happy days!

View attachment 172738
Average weekly wages were around £60 then, so the pay on the day kop price of £1.20 was about 2% of weekly pay.

If the 40 odd quid it costs on the kop now was 2% of weekly pay the average salary would be over £100k per year ha

Average weekly wages were around £60 then, so the pay on the day kop price of £1.20 was about 2% of weekly pay.

If the 40 odd quid it costs on the kop now was 2% of weekly pay the average salary would be over £100k per year ha
I suspect there's also more choice these days as to where to spend your "entertainment" budget, so when you consider the relative increases, and the competition (other entertainment options), our gates are pretty impressive.

78-79 was my first season although not sure whether I had a season ticket or whether my dad paid on the day.

£9 for a kid and £14.50 for an adult season ticket on the kop 😀 can’t believe those prices looking back.

Why did they refer to the Kop as “Ground” by the way ? Remember seeing this a lot back in the day but this thread has prompted me to ask

I got my first (junior) season ticket in 1984 and I remember it was £24 for 21 games in old Division 2 before they started buggering about with the number of teams in each league, before play offs and before the fucking Premier League.
Mind you, we were lucky to get 13,000 for a home game.

Although my first game was 1971/1972 season, I started going regularly in 1979.
I hadn't been for a few seasons, my dad had stopped going and I was too young to go with my mates. First game 'back' with my mates though was Colchester at home, we lost 2-1.
I think that was a Tuesday night, we beat Plymouth 3-2 I think at home on the Saturday......Bourne with a last minute penalty.
I think is cost 80p that season on the Kop.
I got my first season ticket in 1983 and I think it cost £33.00. That would have been an adult price as I was 19 then.
I recall the brown plastic wallet that came with the season ticket and the stubs you had to tear off the match number from.

A pint cost about 70p in 1983??
So the match was about the price of a pint.

(Long time ago so memory might be fading with some of these stats!!)

View attachment 172738
I used to go as a student on the Kop for 1/- (5p)

I got my first (junior) season ticket in 1984 and I remember it was £24 for 21 games in old Division 2 before they started buggering about with the number of teams in each league, before play offs and before the fucking Premier League.
Mind you, we were lucky to get 13,000 for a home game.
It's weird that football is more expensive now, yet crowds for us are so much bigger.

Great post and got me thinking.

I first started going the 70/71 season with my dad. Not all games but the odd few. I was 16 in 1979 and my parents bought me the one and only season ticket of my Blades ‘career’ for the South Stand. If I remember rightly, all the match tickets were on a single sheet and you tore off the ticket for each home match individually - like a sheet of perforated stamps.

We got relegated that season and I believed I brought a curse on the club with having my season ticket as I usually paid at the turnstile on the Kop. I swear it’s the reason I’ve never bought one since !

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom