Selahattin Baki at Fenerbahce in Istanbul

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

JimPhipps

Once a Blade ...
Reaction score
Selahattin Baki and I spoke yesterday. He asked me to send his hellos and well wishes to Blades everywhere. This is my attempt to do that.

By way of update, after leaving the Blades, Selahattin was elected to the Fenerbahce board of directors on a ticket headed by multi-billionaire, Ali Koc, who chairs the board of this great Turkish club. Selahattin has since risen over his years at Fenerbahce to head the football department and to be in charge of other important club functions. Fenerbahce just closed out a very impressive transfer window for Fener.

He said he was very optimistic about the Blades’ promotion chances this year, based on an outstanding window and performances.

UTB!

Good to hear, Jim. I was only wondering the other day how he was getting on at Fener.

Be great to have another friendly one year. Hope you're well also 👍

I wanted to joke about Ali investing in the Blades. But I don't know much about him - we don't want any dodgy money/morals (he may be a saint, I've no idea!).

Hello to Selahattin. Always seemed a good guy, from the cheap seats.

Good to hear Sel is doing well. Tell him that Fener shouldn’t be cultivating links with Dull City! There’s only one team in Yorkshire!! ;) :)
New owner is Sel’ good friend, but your right.

Has Sel retained any contact with the Blades, Jim? Are there lines of communication between Fener and us?

Seems to be the done thing for super-rich owners to own two or more clubs these days (Forest & Olympiakos, Watford & Udinese etc).

Is this Mr. Koc interested in expanding his portfolio at any point? 😁

Selahattin Baki and I spoke yesterday. He asked me to send his hellos and well wishes to Blades everywhere. This is my attempt to do that.

By way of update, after leaving the Blades, Selahattin was elected to the Fenerbahce board of directors on a ticket headed by multi-billionaire, Ali Koc, who chairs the board of this great Turkish club. Selahattin has since risen over his years at Fenerbahce to head the football department and to be in charge of other important club functions. Fenerbahce just closed out a very impressive transfer window for Fener.

He said he was very optimistic about the Blades’ promotion chances this year, based on an outstanding window and performances.

UTB!
Can we expect to see Sel back on the Blades board in some capacity after Ali Koc completes his takeover? JimPhipps

I do lnt really know much about this guy.

Can someone fill me in on his football side of things? For example - how long has he been Fener chairman, how have they performed during his tenure. Is he a hire and fire type etc.

I do lnt really know much about this guy.

Can someone fill me in on his football side of things? For example - how long has he been Fener chairman, how have they performed during his tenure. Is he a hire and fire type etc.
There you go. Some potentially useless information on the guy

751v7e.jpg

Think it is pronounced "Koth" or "Kotch", I work with a few Turkish lads, so (if he indeed buys us) I will ask.

If we suddenly see the old "Visit Malta" shirts reappear, with a line through "Malta" and the word "Turkey" written on the front, in felt tip, it could be a big clue.

On a serious note, as I said earlier, this man was educated in the UK, before going to University in the USA, started his career over there before going to help run the family business and was awarded a CBE. I would think that he may like the idea of doing something with an English club.

All speculation, of course, it could be anyone, but it's intriguing.

Think it is pronounced "Koth" or "Kotch", I work with a few Turkish lads, so (if he indeed buys us) I will ask.

If we suddenly see the old "Visit Malta" shirts reappear, with a line through "Malta" and the word "Turkey" written on the front, in felt tip, it could be a big clue.

On a serious note, as I said earlier, this man was educated in the UK, before going to University in the USA, started his career over there before going to help run the family business and was awarded a CBE. I would think that he may like the idea of doing something with an English club.

All speculation, of course, it could be anyone, but it's intriguing.

Yep, it is indeed.............

Turkish Alphabet​

Learning the Turkish alphabet is very important because its structure is used in every day conversation. Without it, you will not be able to say words properly even if you know how to write those words. The better you pronounce a letter in a word, the more understood you will be in speaking the Turkish language.

Below is a table showing the Turkish alphabet and how it is pronounced in English, and finally examples of how those letters would sound if you place them in a word.

Turkish AlphabetEnglish SoundPronunciation Example
A a/a/'a' as in father
B b/b/'b' as in book
C c/dʒ/'j' as in Joke
Ç ç/tʃ/'ch' as in chimpanzee

If this is the guy, isn't it typical Blades that he's the third wealthiest man in Turkey, not the first or even second, no third!

Back
Top Bottom