sander Berge

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Every time I've watched Burney conceded a goal on MOTD, I see Berge jogging back about five yards behind the bloke he was supposed to be tracking. A great player when he has the ball at his feet, but not somebody who will muck in and help[ his team mates out.
So why does 'media darling' Kompany let him get away with it?

When he was good he was excellent but didn't get a gig better than Burnley because he just doesn't turn up often enough, otherwise even the likes of Palace, Fulham or Brentford would have taken a chance on him.

He's got all the tools in his locker to be a world beater except the mindset to actually go and do it.

He'll end up with a nice gig at somewhere like FC Twente or Wolfsburg, mid table in a half decent league and get plenty of caps for Norway but he'll be one of these who could have been so much more.
He was already at a Champions League club before joining us. I'd agree he could end up back at Genk, or a another top team in a lesser league like Feyenoord or Porto.

Regarding Hamer, lets say he doesn't set the world on fire in the Championship between August and Christmas. What would his valuation be at the that point? £4m? Could we end up with another Brewster situation where no one will match anything like what we're paying him, so we're stuck with him for his entire contract?

So why does 'media darling' Kompany let him get away with it?

Probably one or both of the following:

1. Stubbornness.
2. He thinks that the benefits of Berge's forward play outweigh the downsides of his poor tracking.

Regarding Hamer, lets say he doesn't set the world on fire in the Championship between August and Christmas. What would his valuation be at the that point? £4m? Could we end up with another Brewster situation where no one will match anything like what we're paying him, so we're stuck with him for his entire contract?
He’s currently rated at €16m on transfermkt.
What would his valuation be if the man carrying the “THE END OF THE WORLD IS NIGH” sign on Bramall Lane is proven correct?

'The problem for us was that he just coasted through games with limited impact.'

He scored seven goals and got six assists last season. He had a goal involvement every 239 minutes. I wouldn't say that was 'limited impact'.
Considering we bought him to be a Premier League player. Considering we were promoted as runners up in the Championship. I would think those figures are limited. Compare that to Ndiaye and prior to that MGW. They didn't hide and wanted to get on the ball. There is a big difference there in terms of Impact and involvement in the game. Sander is a luxury player who is adequate in a dominant team but not involved enough when the going gets tough.

In one website earlier it was saying the Burnley owners feel the issue this season was there recruitment last summer, and so not the fault of the manager.

Every time I've watched Burney conceded a goal on MOTD, I see Berge jogging back about five yards behind the bloke he was supposed to be tracking. A great player when he has the ball at his feet, but not somebody who will muck in and help[ his team mates out.
Said all along mate he will look so much better in a good side, poor man Odegard, Berge with Jorginho to do the dirty stuff would work

Berge’s silky and a joy to watch, but we’re in a dog fight and what we’re seeing from him in Burnley is exactly what we would have seen from him for us

For the money we paid for him, the most overrated player in the history of Sheffield United.

The fans who love him do so purely because he is good on Football Manager and FIFA.
I disagree there. You can't compare based on what we paid for him because times have changed and we've spent millions on a limited number of players. Based on our budget in previous years I'd say there are a lot more over-rated players - Brayford being one. Berge was a big part of the promotion season & played a decent role in the season we managed to get into the play-off too.

He would go missing in games & it doesn't surprise me that no top 10 clubs were interested. But on the whole, I think we had our money's worth.

Ultimately whatever you think of the value and contribution of Sander's time with us, would we have gone back up last season without him? I doubt it because he scored and assisted several crucial goals.

So in that respect, same with McBurnie, he's paid his transfer fee. It will be interesting to see if a PL club or top league European club comes in for him this summer if Burnley are relegated.

He never seemed settled with us once we were relegated but at the same time played largely well in the championship. I don't know how he's done at Burnley but he plays for them every week.

Also please go not boo him on Saturday. Whether you agree with him leaving to Burnley or not, it will only spur him to prove a point than if we just give him a polite clap. Personally I don't think he deserves boos regardless.

If people still rate Brewster then they need to get help from a shrink.
It’s hard to rate someone that’s never played more than a handful of games and rarely makes it through 90 mins

Has he even played 5 full games in a row?

Joy to watch Sander. Easy on the eye and unplayable (imo) in an advanced role on the right. Drifted past players for fun. He did however go missing for periods in matches when playing his preferred central midfield role. Absolutely miles off being the worst value for money footballer we've ever signed. Not even close.

He's getting a bit David Brent at times. Found this quote very cringe..

"I know there was talk that they made him in to an 8, they didn't really make him in to an 8, he was an all round really good midfield player because I remember him scoring against Tottenham as a high 8."

Hecky got far more of a tune out of several of Wilder's players, including Berge.

As for Berge, he gave us great value in the end. Signed for £20m, sold for £15m. In between all that he provided vital goals & assists which helped us get promoted back to the PL. On his day (which we all know wasn't often enough), he looked the best midfielder in the league.

As with most players there are differing opinions of Berge as a player. But some views are linked to what we thought his signing meant and how subsequently that turned out. Berge signing was supposed to be the start of a move forward in ambition by United. We were signing a player who was supposedly on the radar of a number of clubs across Europe, many of them involved in European competition. But he chose to come to Sheffield United, Wilder convincing him that we weren’t a relegation threatened club, but a club that he could use as a stepping stone.
Well the outcomes were different for both parties. Our moment in the sun soon vanished in the COVID season and were relegated and we were back to fishing in a different pond for players, hardly signing anyone and relying on the loan market. Berge’s career trajectory has similarly nosed dived, if he moves on after Burnley’s relegation it will likely be back to a mediocre European club, playing in the qualifying rounds of European competition.

It’s hard to rate someone that’s never played more than a handful of games and rarely makes it through 90 mins

Has he even played 5 full games in a row?
I’d say if you’re a professional footballer and you haven’t played many games then you’re shit at your job.

Dreading seeing our tiny midfielders bounce off him like kids attacking an adult on a bouncy castle this weekend

£4m? Why?

Back
Top Bottom