sander Berge

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I didn't really see much of their game today, or most of their season. Are they still playing him deep when he's clearly best pressing in the final 1/3rd or gliding in space on the counter? Never a dcm.

He's ending up playing Centre back in the end of last few games apparently

Berge:
Goals 1
Assists 1
Shots 16
Shots on target 3
Passes attempted 866
Passes completed 85.2%
Progressive passes 76
Progressive carries 29
Progressive runs 20
Tackles 48
Interceptions 18
Headers won 50
Blocks 35

Souza:
Goals 1
Assists 0
Shots 10
Shots on target 4
Passes attempted 779
Passes completed 79.6%
Progressive passes 52
Progressive carries 6
Progressive runs 15
Tackles 98
Interceptions 27
Headers won 54
Blocks 39

So berge is head and shoulders above souza for progressive actions and possesion based stats.

Souza has way more tackles and interceptions.

Both similar on goals, assists, blocks and headers. Overal Berge i would say has more influence on a game.

Yeah but has a season ticket holder told you their opinion?

Just had a look on THAT Twitter to see what Burnley fans made of his performance today (I didn't watch the match myself).

The consensus is he played well and one Burnley fan reckons he's been their best player this season.

Berge:
Goals 1
Assists 1
Shots 16
Shots on target 3
Passes attempted 866
Passes completed 85.2%
Progressive passes 76
Progressive carries 29
Progressive runs 20
Tackles 48
Interceptions 18
Headers won 50
Blocks 35

Souza:
Goals 1
Assists 0
Shots 10
Shots on target 4
Passes attempted 779
Passes completed 79.6%
Progressive passes 52
Progressive carries 6
Progressive runs 15
Tackles 98
Interceptions 27
Headers won 54
Blocks 39

So berge is head and shoulders above souza for progressive actions and possesion based stats.

Souza has way more tackles and interceptions.

Both similar on goals, assists, blocks and headers. Overal Berge i would say has more influence on a game.

Irony is if you had Berge alongside Souza you'd have the perfect chemistry for a top half, premier league midfield pair.

Irony is if you had Berge alongside Souza you'd have the perfect chemistry for a top half, premier league midfield pair.
Based on what!? Their combined lack of goals and assists? Both are average to decent Championship players, neither are good enough for the Premier League.

Berge has a weird cult following because he's good on Football Manager. In reality he goes missing for the majority of games, is as nesh as they come, is physically weak for such a large guy, and has a couple of decent game every once in a while. Nice guy for sure, but not cut out for the English game. Souza is also just the Brazilian Monty but with less effort.

Top 3 in terms of progressive carries in the Championship the year we went up. Best in the Championship that year for dribbling into the box.

Berge and Ndiaye got us up the pitch, we need to improve this next season.
I’ll hazard a guess (but haven’t checked) that Hamer’s overall stats would blitz Berge’s in the championship, where we’re all heading.

I'd have loved to have seen Berge next to a proper enforcer-type midfield general who does the dirty work. Souza isn't quite that player but it would have been interesting to see them play together with Souza winning the ball followed by a simple pass to Berge to do something with it.

Over the last couple of seasons if Norwood played well, the team played well. And if the team played well Berge would play well. Unfortunately there were too many times when the cogs werent all working and Berge had a poor game, but I'd still take him back in a heartbeat.

I’ll hazard a guess (but haven’t checked) that Hamer’s overall stats would blitz Berge’s in the championship, where we’re all heading.
They may have but based on his current form they won't be next season.

But is that a game where you have a lot of possession or a little?

All it says to me is that for the metrics going forwards Berge is better, for the more defensive side, Souza is.

I’d prefer Souza for the role we want though I woundn’t have minded seeing Berge to the right of Souza. Cake, eat it and all that!
I’m not sure what you mean if i’m being honest. If you are saying they have different qualities then i agree and mentioned that in my post.

I agree that together they would’ve been a a complimentary partnership. Considering our style this season then Souza is probably a better fit, Berge is by far the better footballer though, technically far superior IMO. He’s the type of player that ideally we would build a team around to play a more positive, controlling style. Him and doyle were a level above for the championship what could’ve been ey if we had improved on that.

I’ve watched their last 4 or 5 games and he’s been one of there best players apart from today when he did seem absent.Doesn’t seem to be picking up injuries there either.

They may have but based on his current form they won't be next season.
No, but both are playing for poor teams, and neither will have good stats overall. Hamers are better offesnsively, Berge’s defensively.

You won’t be surprised (as I openly don’t rate Berge) that I’d much prefer to have Hamer in the championship.

I think he's in a minority. I've been following the talk around Sander on the Burnley forum and by and large they really rate him.

He's definitely being seen as a good signing by Burnley fans. They are worried they won't keep hold of him next season but has he improved that much to ensure he will be picked up by a top flight team ?

No, but both are playing for poor teams, and neither will have good stats overall. Hamers are better offesnsively, Berge’s defensively.

You won’t be surprised (as I openly don’t rate Berge) that I’d much prefer to have Hamer in the championship.
Fair enough and if he showed his Coventry form I might be in agreement but currently he's miles off it. In his current form he wouldn't stand out in the Championship. Personally I think Berge was underrated by our fans because of his lazy gait but he was and is a very good ball carrying footballer.

Both Berge and Hamer will be good and have a very positive impact in the Championship next season. I feel top end Championship is their level.

3DD79D62-96E5-4E1B-AD17-FD75F8B63634.jpeg
A quick glimpse but not the case at all, unexpectedly Berge had a lot more carries and runs and hamer has a hell if a lot more progressive passes. Hamer has way more passes but quite a low pass completion rate. Something which is evident this season.

View attachment 180073
A quick glimpse but not the case at all, unexpectedly Berge had a lot more carries and runs and hamer has a hell if a lot more progressive passes. Hamer has way more passes but quite a low pass completion rate. Something which is evident this season.

Goals and assists is the only thing that matters for attacking minded midfield players. We've really got to stop celebrating midfield players based on their pass % - The 'Leon Britton effect' as I call it. I want to see end product not 10 yard passes to the team mate nearest you - that is all Berge did in the majority of games for us.

Good I think. Where else would they go ?
Abroad maybe?

Don't see much interest in either from the PL but you never know.

Just wondered if we'd look to unload either or both due to wages.

If we can keep both then the midfield will be in good shape for the Champ with the likes of Davies, Brooks, Arblaster etc too.

Goals and assists is the only thing that matters for attacking minded midfield players. We've really got to stop celebrating midfield players based on their pass % - The 'Leon Britton effect' as I call it. I want to see end product not 10 yard passes to the team mate nearest you - that is all Berge did in the majority of games for us.
Thats a huge part of being a midfielder though. Thats exactly what the top midfielders and teams do in the prem/la Liga, bundesliga etc.

In possession the ability to keep the ball, create control and link play from defense through the midfield to the forwards. Otherwise you might as well start with 5 defenders and 5 attackers.

Edit: just seen you said attacking minded midfielders. I don’t think either Hamer or Berge fit that mould though.

Last edited:
For me having sander would have been overall beneficial for us because of his ball carrying and that he was part of the core of the squad so no need to get settled in and up to speed with our squad.

Had he not gone we would have not seen Hamer. And whilst some are rightfully not too impressed. Im still in the camp that Hamer overall is/will be a better player for us.

I love Sander and often defended him. But he was wildly inconsistent.

However, I genuinely think Hamer is a better player in most ways. No way would I swap them. No chance.

I'm praying Hamer stays for next season as he's already been one of the best midfielders in the Championship twice. Berge was one of the best midfielders in the Championship on about six weekends, if we're honest.

Hard to compare them as slightly different players. But it's hard to compare Sander to anyone as he's a very unusual player.

Back
Top Bottom