Pellistri

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Definately knows his stuff, He's just a bit too smug with it all for me.
Fair comment mate. I really like him but it’s horses for courses. I’ve listened to his World Football show on 5 Live for years. I think he’s been doing it for 20+ years now and his knowledge of football in that part of the world is fantastic due to the time he’s spent over there. Exceeds any other British journalist by a country mile.

True dat!

Gus Hamer is Dutch.
George Baldock is Greek.
Oli Norwood is Northern Irish.
Adam Davies is Welsh.
Anel Ahmedhodzic is Bosnian.

Quite impressive to have so many players representing a country other than the one they were born in, isn't it?

I know Norwood has retired from internationals now, but that still leaves plenty.

The thing with Tim Vickery is that firstly he's very knowledgeable. However, secondly, he's usually often rather bullish on South American players when I've read things written by him.

Articles I've seen have been where he's suggested how X player could move to Europe and he'd be great for so-and-so team, matching the two styles.

What he doesn't tend to say is "this guy is garbage". It's all very positive. So, to Pellistri. He had two loan spells so far. As a 19/20-year-old, birthday in December, he went to Alaves. He played 12 matches, 7 as starter and 5 as sub and failed to register a goal or an assist. I appreciate this can be misleading; he could have taken on the whole team, passed the ball to a guy on the line who allowed someone else to tap in and he wouldn't get an assist. But then he went back to Alaves and played 23 matches but still only managed 6 starts and 17 sub appearances, so wasn't doing enough to make his way into a not-so-great team, who got relegated. Let us not dismiss that the season before he went to Alaves, they were treated to Oliver Burke and even he managed 3 goal contributions while he was there. So did Pellistri not make good numbers because he wasn't given a chance or was he not given more of a chance because he simply didn't impress?

Last season he got an assist in the EFL Cup, but that was all in 11 further appearances. I get he is desperate for games, and I get why Man U would like him to play more, it just seems he's not lived up to his billing at all. Maybe he is about to, and we will be the lucky recipients, but it does feel like a gamble more on our side than the player's or Man U's.

Man U fans are campaigning for him to be given a go. But let's be straight here; they are doing this because they think Anthony is rubbish. They aren't doing it because Pellistri has a huge body of successful work behind him which is hard to ignore.

His international stats look far better with 5 assists in 12 matches which I would imagine can cause some unconscious bias to Vickery because this is where he will have witnessed him most notably. So, let's break that down further; 2 of those assists were against Nicaragua. They rank 141st in world football. To give some context, Faroe Islands rank 128th. They are sandwiched between Ethiopia and Burundi. He also managed 2 assists against Venezuela. It sounds better and is, but even they only rank 57th, one spot above Jamaica. So you're probably talking a couple of times he's had a brace of assists in 4-1 victories against teams of no more than League One or Two level. His other assist was against Mexico, ranking 12th in a 3-0 friendly win so kudos to him for that. Otherwise he drew blanks against Paraguay (49th), Peru (21st), Mexico (12th), USA (11th), Panama (45th), Iran (22nd), South Korea (28th), Portugal (9th), Ghana (60th) and Japan (20th).

I'm sure this comes across as a bit of a character assassination. It's not meant to be. It's more just to highlight this would be a punt. It's based on him having an impact, the nature of which he's never had before. I can't say the same for Balde who would feel a lot more proven to me as an option, not to mention a lot more physical.

Hearing they’re close to activating a buy back clause for James garner from Everton because Mount is out for ages

Baldock I am sure is 100% English

Baldock's Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Grandma once had beef Stifado

☺️
"Beef stifado"? It's the way his shorts ruck up?

Oh also Larouci (France/Algeria) and Jebbison (England/Canada) if we count Under 2x games.

Quite impressive to have so many players representing a country other than the one they were born in, isn't it?

I know Norwood has retired from internationals now, but that still leaves plenty.

Anis Slimane. Tunisian / born in Copenhagen

They were off top of my head. Probably more in fairness.

Amissah was born in Germany for example but could represent Ghana

Ndiaye was also born in France.... i miss him

Is that one change not to come or a change of mind after he’d decided not to come?
Sorry just mean what he keeps telling the press. (I need to go out on loan to play games, now I need to be around Man Utd to learn from elite players) Was hot favourite to arrive until Mount's injury now its a lot less likely and Balde is number one for that side.

If he thinks he'll learn more in Man Utd reserves than playing competitive premier league football, he needs to get a grip.
He's come on as sub in both Man Utd's opening PL games this season, so I'd guess he'll be around the first team if he doesn't go out on loan

Surely they have to sign someone? Pellestri is even infront of Martial and Sancho at the minute coming off the bench.

Absolute graveyard for footballers that place.
Sancho was such an exciting young player.

Where does he go next? Nobody that would want him can afford him unless it's a one-way ticket to Saudi Arabia.

Absolute graveyard for footballers that place.
Sancho was such an exciting young player.

Where does he go next? Nobody that would want him can afford him unless it's a one-way ticket to Saudi Arabia.
Cheeky loan bid? Man U cover 90% of his wages

The daft thing is, I think it would be absolutely great for all parties. Never going to happen though.
It probably would but the fact that joke transfer suggestions would make more sense than whatever Man U are doing sums them up at the moment.

They were off top of my head. Probably more in fairness.

Amissah was born in Germany for example but could represent Ghana

Ndiaye was also born in France.... i miss him
We also forgot that well-known Canadian-born England international, Daniel Jebbison.

Back
Top Bottom