'Memries' OTD 13th April 2014

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SwitchBLADE Smiles

Reaction score
Hull City 5 - 3 Sheffield United
FA Cup Semi-Final

This game saw the first goal in my nearly 30 years of watching United at Wembley / Millennium Stadium. Electric from minutes 1 through 90. Probably the proudest I’ve ever been as a Blade.

United side that day:

Mark Howard

John Brayford
Harry Maguire
Neill Collins
Bob Harris

Connor Coady
Michael Doyle

Stefan Scougall
Jose Baxter
Ryan Flynn

Jamie Murphy

Subs:

Matt Hill
Chris Porter
Stephen McGinn
Ben Davies (not the current one)
George Long
Kieron Freeman
Tel Kennedy

What a day.

Yes when we all rose as one to applaud “Our team” it made me and all blades proud.
I would like to think that it set us apart from other supporters and proved what being a blade is all about.
we don’t shout from the roof tops to tell anyone who will listen what we are going to do or what we have done, we get on with the job and reward our efforts on and off the pitch.

I didn't, and still don't get this. I went to Wembley, my team lost and conceded FIVE goals. Far from greatest day as a Blade for me.
It is a measure of how pathetic the club has been in playoff finals and other big games that this is essentially the best memory we have from Wembley aside from Cork’s goal.

I didn't, and still don't get this. I went to Wembley, my team lost and conceded FIVE goals. Far from greatest day as a Blade for me.

Mental game of football though. Sickner we lost but it was an exciting match to watch, both teams going for it rather than be super defensive.

It wasn't a typical FA cup semi final that is for sure.

Mental game of football though. Sickner we lost but it was an exciting match to watch, both teams going for it rather than be super defensive.
Agreed which made it all the more frustrating that Clough did A complete 180 in tactics and mind set from the off the following the season and went super turgid and defensive.

Absolutely phenomenal day out, only very slightly marred by the result.

From getting absolutely plastered with hundreds of other Blades on a traffic island in the sun, to the unforgettable moment when WE ACTUALLY SCORED AT WEMBLEY. Then going 2-1 up, the utter pandemonium on the concourse at half time, and then the incredible applause for the last few minutes.

Has to be one of the best, most blood and thunder matches that "new" Wembley has ever seen.

Agreed which made it all the more frustrating that Clough did A complete 180 in tactics and mind set from the off the following the season and went super turgid and defensive.

Yeah, we go from a match like that to the following season "Start the game with a point" defensive football.

I'm not sure many are saying it was the greatest day, but it was a great game that we really could have won and those last few minutes were priceless

For a lot of us, it was the first time we saw the Blades score, and even compete properly (albeit mainly only for 45 mins) in a match at Wembley.

I wouldn't call it my greatest Blades day, not by a long shot, but as a day out it was pretty damn good. They were 2 divisions above us, and they changed their team at half time (I think) and just went up a gear in the second half. There was no shame in losing in the end.

Personally, I'd seen us play at Wembley (or Cardiff) against Palace,Wolves, Burnley and Huddersfield at that point. In all those games, in my opinion, we didn't really turn up, and we never scored a goal. Nothing wrong with looking back with some fondness on the day we broke our duck in the lifetimes of many, many fans.

Am I just BITTER? all I can remember was how Quinny celebrated like he had scored the winner in the final... Yes I'm bitter UTB

What a surreal day it was..

I remember walking back down Wembley way with a sense of satisfaction and pride, despite losing.

What a great day it was.

Witnessing united score a wembley - priceless. Witnessing a massive bloke a few rows in front break down in tears when we made it 2-1 - priceless.
Had a quality night out in London after. Never ever felt so buzzing after a defeat.

Am I just BITTER? all I can remember was how Quinny celebrated like he had scored the winner in the final... Yes I'm bitter UTB
Bitter if you believe that, yes.

You could see he didn't want to celebrate as it was against United, but then realised he'd just scored a goal at Wembley. He covered his teary eyes.

Sure there have been better days but on this particular day we gave it our all, left everything on the pitch and pushed a good Hull side close to the edge.

Remembering also that we had been in a relegation battle the early part of that season.

Yes no one likes losing but it’s part of the game and if there’s ever a way to lose then it was the way we lost on that particular day.

UTB

It was a good match and not a bad day, but I'm on the side of feeling it's a bit tinpot to get excited about the memory of losing to Hull in a semi-final.
How is it? League one blades, against a then Premier League Hull team.... on the back end of knocking out Premier League Villa away......THEN Taking Premier League Fulham to a replay, despite having Doyle sent off and playing a long while with 10 men......then going to Fulham in the second leg and beating them in the very last minute of extra time.....THEN banging 2 late goals in to knock out championship forest....THEN beating Championship Charlton Athletic 2-0 at home to book our place at Wembley.

There was nothing tinpot about it.....

Let's remember where we actually sat at the time. League one club, with our third manager of the season.... Morgan took temporary charge, Weir didn't really set anything alight.....and then Clough came in and we began to believe again..... gauge it on then and it was far from tinpot

I didn't enjoy it.

The first half was great but there's no denying the fact that we ended up getting hammered.

We were 45 minutes away from a major cup final but in true Sheffield United style we fucked it up.

There's a good chance most of us will be dead the next time we ever get that close again.

I didn't enjoy it.

The first half was great but there's no denying the fact that we ended up getting hammered.

We were 45 minutes away from a major cup final but in true Sheffield United style we fucked it up.

There's a good chance most of us will be dead the next time we ever get that close again.
"Hammered" is a bit harsh - only reason they got the 5th is because we were throwing everything at them to get an equalizer at 4-3. In fact I'm pretty sure Harry Maguire had a reight chance to score just before they got their last.

Has anyone got any footage of our fans at the end because it doesn't come across in the TV coverage?

"Hammered" is a bit harsh - only reason they got the 5th is because we were throwing everything at them to get an equalizer at 4-3. In fact I'm pretty sure Harry Maguire had a reight chance to score just before they got their last.

Has anyone got any footage of our fans at the end because it doesn't come across in the TV coverage?

It was a game of two halves and my memory of the second half is that it was miserable and painful to watch.

We went from being winning to being two goals behind in a short space of time and then we were losing 4-2 for over twenty minutes.

Murphy's goal at the death felt like nothing more than a consolation.

I came back with a reminder of that day....DSC_0064.JPGthe coach ride back was shit, to say the least!

They did excellent first half v Hull, then f***ed it up second half, far from my proudest day as a Blade. In that cup run alone, much preferred beating Villa, Fulham, Forest and Charlton than losing to Dull in the semis. Leicester '90 miles better, Northampton '17 and all those games in the run in after, numerous times we've beat the pigs, or battered dirty Leeds, beating Man U, Liverpool or Arsenal.

I think that's the problem with some of our fan base, with the small time mentality I do wonder if they'd be better supporting Rotherham. FFS we're supposed to be a big city club, lets try to act like it and demand the club starts punching it's weight.

They did excellent first half v Hull, then f***ed it up second half, far from my proudest day as a Blade. In that cup run alone, much preferred beating Villa, Fulham, Forest and Charlton than losing to Dull in the semis. Leicester '90 miles better, Northampton '17 and all those games in the run in after, numerous times we've beat the pigs, or battered dirty Leeds, beating Man U, Liverpool or Arsenal.

I think that's the problem with some of our fan base, with the small time mentality I do wonder if they'd be better supporting Rotherham. FFS we're supposed to be a big city club, lets try to act like it and demand the club starts punching it's weight.
Demand all you want, but with that mentality you'll miss out on a lot that makes football so enjoyable on the way.
Enjoy your dream of being a 'HMS Piss The League' 😄

Back
Top Bottom