One of the most cringeworthy moments as a Blade fan

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Silent Blade

Reaction score
Now he is no longer our player I can now say how embarrassed I was after the final whistle at Selhurst Park in January 2020 when the Blades fans were singing non stop the welcome for Sander Berge for about 5 minutes. It was an over the top welcome. I nearly always welcome any new signing but when it comes to singing praises, I always give it time before deciding that he has fitted in well at SUFC. I admit at the time I was pleased when he signed for us and was hoping the £20M fee would be justified. Since then he often frustrated the life out of me because he wasnt quick or brave enough and was often beaten in the air by players a lot smaller than him.

Am surprised that Burnley went for Berge instead of Hamer.

Ståle Solbakken talks out of his arse when he slags us off as not being the right club for Berge.

Berge might be a nice guy and I wish him luck but he wasnt worth the fee we paid for him.

The highest the club has been in the modern era and the highest its ever likely to be for the foreseeable future. Fail to see how anyone can be embarrassed by the atmosphere that day.

We were finally becoming relevant on the football map and making big signings but apparently we were celebrating it too much. Premature maybe, but if we cant celebrate at times like that we might as well give up now.

Labelling it as one of the most cringeworthy moments as a Blade seems fucking outrageous to me, when stacked up against some of the other shit we’ve put up with. This summer would be straight in the top 5 in the embarrassment stakes.

Now he is no longer our player I can now say how embarrassed I was after the final whistle at Selhurst Park in January 2020 when the Blades fans were singing non stop the welcome for Sander Berge for about 5 minutes. It was an over the top welcome. I nearly always welcome any new signing but when it comes to singing praises, I always give it time before deciding that he has fitted in well at SUFC. I admit at the time I was pleased when he signed for us and was hoping the £20M fee would be justified. Since then he often frustrated the life out of me because he wasnt quick or brave enough and was often beaten in the air by players a lot smaller than him.

Ståle Solbakken talks out of his arse when he slags us off as not being the right club for Berge.

Berge might be a nice guy and I wish him luck but he wasnt worth the fee we paid for him.
Embarrassed? Gi'oer.

OTT? Nonsense. We welcomed a player that was highly rated and had been on the radar of clubs that we could never emulate.

We were on the crest of a wave at the time.

Worth only 3 million you think. Well there's opinions and utter baloney.

It will be interesting to see how he does in the PL with Burnley. Opinions have been split on Berge. For me he is too slow to be good enough for the PL. When people described him as a thoroughbred or a rolls Royce I just couldn’t see it. I am glad we got something for him though. I hope we now get Hamer and Akpom and I will then be a happy Blade. Good luck to Berge but not against us.

People get far too obsessed with footballers as a whole in my opinion, it can be beyond cringeworthy.

Almost as cringey as filming a contract signing video for a player who er hadn't signed a contract 🤔

It's Burnley he's signed for not Barcelona wonder what he thinks now! 😄

He massively frustrated the fan base, he could go missing for the majority of a match and sometimes look woeful. He’s definitely a decent player & Hecky has made him what he is today.

I don’t see him fitting Burnley’s fast paced possession based football but we will see.

What about when he decided fucking Burnley were a better destination for his career than United? How does that sit on your cringeometer?

It was a bit cringey to be fair, but we were all swept up in a situation that hadn't really happened before, and probably won't again. The song wasn't even tongue in cheek. We were genuinely heading for Europe!

I really miss those times and haven't felt the same since. COVID really did knock the stuffing out of us as a club and a fan base.

He flattered to deceive throughout his time at United, but I'll still look back at that signing and that game fondly just because of how we all felt about our club. Every single one of us. That type of unity and buzz doesn't come along often.

What an utterly joyless take on things. I felt none of those things when the fans serenaded him after the Palace game. Spirits were very high at the time and the future looked bright. It was a great moment. Football is all about moments you cherish, both on and off the pitch.

What about when he decided fucking Burnley were a better destination for his career than United? How does that sit on your cringeometer?
Surprised they went for Berge instead of Hamer

What an utterly joyless take on things. I felt none of those things when the fans serenaded him after the Palace game. Spirits were very high at the time and the future looked bright. It was a great moment. Football is all about moments you cherish, both on and off the pitch.
I dont remember us serenading a new signing like this and it was embarrassing

That day at palace away was one of the best away days I have ever been too

Up there with Leeds away

And of course Duffy day
I agree, although strangely we played poorly and I don't think we had a shot in target (the goalkeeper dropped a corner into the goal). The win almost certainly meant we had stayed up and with a big signing like Berge a feeling that we were going to go on and establish ourselves in the Premier League. I enjoyed the after match chants to Berge and that we would be playing in Europe the following season. A coincidence that he leaves days before we play Palace again, the atmosphere will be very different I guess.

Sabella. In fact lots of 'big name' signings have had similar welcomes.
It wasnt like this, I was at the Orient match and it was just a loud cheer when he came up to the Kop End to take a corner for his first touch (Stainrod headed the corner in), and cheers when he was dribbling past Orient players.

As you said "Big name" signings, who else apart from a pre match loud cheer?

I meant REAL serenading like at Selhurst Park

Not one of your better thought out posts I'm afraid Silent, especially after being critical of other negative/dividing posts. For what it's worth, I agree that Berge's time with us has been a little underwhelming and never really got going. The enthusiasm for his arrival I think reflected the general positivity at the time and it seemed like a real statement signing. My god we could do with some of that enthusiasm on Saturday. 👍

And despite all of those determined to diss him to the last, still the only player who looked in the same class as Stuttgart last week.
well you watched a different game to me then Looked ok until someone clattered him , then he went missing for the rest of the game, unfortunately a trait I have seen too often in him. He is very good at hiding on a football field when it suits him

Back
Top Bottom