Old United Pubs

• Thread starter Deleted member 1486
  • Start date

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Shall we say Woodseats Lads always got in free courtesy of one of Sheffields finest doormen Greek Joe great bloke

Thought he was from Malta?, or am I getting two different blokes mixed up?

It was Berlins that had the big wheel. It was populated with all types of different drinks offers. The DJ used to spin it and whatever offer it landed on was there until it got spun again.

You're right re the entrance. Uropa and Berlins used to be 2 completely separate venues. Berlins was to the right of that photo and had a few steps up to the glass fronted entrance and Uropa had the same entrance it has now. Whoever owns Code must have bought both units as it's now all one venue hence all the frontage has changed.

It's now owned by Martin Leverton. Think it's called network now?
He also owns music junkee record shop/music equipment store. And used to own Reflex Records which was located near the egg box town hall.
Think he also runs the Reflective bassline music nights.
He bought plug and the adjoining smaller club and has knocked it all into a 3 room nightclub.

It's now owned by Martin Leverton. Think it's called network now?
He also owns music junkee record shop/music equipment store. And used to own Reflex Records which was located near the egg box town hall.
Think he also runs the Reflective bassline music nights.
He bought plug and the adjoining smaller club and has knocked it all into a 3 room nightclub.

I've just double checked with my lad and has been split up again so Code and what used to be Berlin's are now separate venues again. They had been turned into 1 venue for a while so the old Berlins area was in effect Code's 2nd room.

I used to buy most of my vinyl from Reflex and that place in Orchard Square back in the day and always found Leverton to be an absolute arrogant prick. Never liked him. He promoted a bassline type event in that club under Ponds Forge for a while that was run by The Leadmill. I worked the doors there for some of them during the 3 years I spent on the doors at The Leadmill and was still a full weight bellend then as well.

Wernt he called Joe bouncer on uriahas
On corner b4 old hofenbrauhs.berlins later.last so him on door locarno around
1984 ish.

He worked at Uriah's, yes, I thought he was called Maltese Joe. He was living at Walkley at the time, from what I remember. I was in when two lads came in, one of them was basically thinking he could take Joe on, win, and get an instant reputation as a hard nut, Joe finished both of them off and threw them out.

He worked at Uriah's, yes, I thought he was called Maltese Joe. He was living at Walkley at the time, from what I remember. I was in when two lads came in, one of them was basically thinking he could take Joe on, win, and get an instant reputation as a hard nut, Joe finished both of them off and threw them out.
Might have been later than 84 maybe 86 .when he were on door at locarnos.nice bloke .

Bricklayers arms bottom of moor, just on corner of st Mary’s road I think, good pint of double diamond draught. Showing my age now.
I used to love Double Diamo d on draught. Worked wonders you know! 😉 First time I had it was when drew 1-1 at Arsenal in about 67 or 68. Our match was on MOTD because it had snowed and they had undersoil heating so it was the only match the TV crew could get to. That was the evening a stripper down Soho borrowed my Blades scarf to use in her act. Ahhhh Rusty, you were gorgeous and didn't you just love strutting your stuff 🥰😍😘

It was Berlins that had the big wheel. It was populated with all types of different drinks offers. The DJ used to spin it and whatever offer it landed on was there until it got spun again.

You're right re the entrance. Uropa and Berlins used to be 2 completely separate venues. Berlins was to the right of that photo and had a few steps up to the glass fronted entrance and Uropa had the same entrance it has now. Whoever owns Code must have bought both units as it's now all one venue hence all the frontage has changed.

£1.20 a drink with the bus tickets. Spin the wheel. Happy memories of being a teenager in the mid 90s.

I used to love Double Diamo d on draught. Worked wonders you know! 😉 First time I had it was when drew 1-1 at Arsenal in about 67 or 68. Our match was on MOTD because it had snowed and they had undersoil heating so it was the only match the TV crew could get to. That was the evening a stripper down Soho borrowed my Blades scarf to use in her act. Ahhhh Rusty, you were gorgeous and didn't you just love strutting your stuff 🥰😍😘
13/1/1968

Bricklayers arms bottom of moor, just on corner of st Mary’s road I think, good pint of double diamond draught. Showing my age now.
Brickies was a Tetley pub, went in quite regularly, support wise, I would say it was half and half, which led to some lively but friendly banter in those late 60s days

Seems that quite a few people on here seem to think that The Limit Club (on West Street) was a Wendy strong hold? I would say not, if anything, it would have been half and half (like most nightclubs I guess). I knew some Wendy's from Winn Gardens, who went in, but loads of Blades I knew were also there, most Saturday nights.

OL IP DD

Pic of the Claymore on Picture Sheffield. Think it's a convenience store now. I remember it reopening as the Dove and Rainbow for some reason about 10 years ago but it wasn't there for long.

Pic of the Claymore on Picture Sheffield. Think it's a convenience store now. I remember it reopening as the Dove and Rainbow for some reason about 10 years ago but it wasn't there for long.

Was The Claymore not at the bottom of the ramp outside Roxy's opposite The Mulberry??

If it was then not sure it turned into The Dove & Rainbow as that's over the other side of where the hole in the road was behind The Banker's Draught.

Was The Claymore not at the bottom of the ramp outside Roxy's opposite The Mulberry??

If it was then not sure it turned into The Dove & Rainbow as that's over the other side of where the hole in the road was behind The Banker's Draught.
Yeah, Claymore was a bit before my time but it definitely opened as the D&R for a short time. Our lass and I were in town and popped to the usual D&R for a pint to find it closed, then happened to walk up Arundel Gate and saw it there. They had a twofer on bottles of Bud and we got through a fair amount. Next time we went it was gone and the usual D&R was open.

It might have been a temporary location at the time the Tut n Shive went back to being the Dove.

Seems that quite a few people on here seem to think that The Limit Club (on West Street) was a Wendy strong hold? I would say not, if anything, it would have been half and half (like most nightclubs I guess). I knew some Wendy's from Winn Gardens, who went in, but loads of Blades I knew were also there, most Saturday nights.
Mate I can only go on my experiences in the limit. Everytime I personally went in it was full of the bastards sure bouncers were pigs n’all. But like I say it doesn’t really matter it’s just from my experience and obviously cowensy’s

Mate I can only go on my experiences in the limit. Everytime I personally went in it was full of the bastards sure bouncers were pigs n’all. But like I say it doesn’t really matter it’s just from my experience and obviously cowensy’s

Don't want to talk about trouble and stuff, but I remember a big fight kicking off in the Limit, and the Winn Gardens lads I knew (mainly pigs) came up against a much younger crew of Blades from Gleadless Valley, and there was only one winner that night.

I was in the club in late 77 when a band from London (called "Bethnal", from Bethnal Green, in London) were playing, and a Blade from Gleadless had escaped from Borstal and turned up at the Limit, and some plain clothed coppers turned up, and we persuaded the DJ to play "Borstal Breakout" by Sham 69. and this lad was dancing and pogoing in front of the coppers.

Not sure how many times you went, but I was there most Saturdays (and other nights) from around 78 to 83.

Plenty of Wendy lads I knew went in, but so did a ton of Blades. Plus, this was the coolest club in town, and no way were pig fans "cooler" than Blades lads.

I was originally from gleadless. Both neighbours near my mums were pigs. It was a mixture back then dont no what it’s like now. I went to limit similar years to you on Saturdays so will have been there when you was there probably. I agree with blades been cooler than pigs. Despite been regularly outnumbered by the scruffy cunts for years we always dressed and looked smarter back in day. Probably still do but I don’t take much notice nowadays. I do listen to people in local boozers which are very much split between us and Wendy’s but I don’t get involved with any crap no more like I use to

Used to go in a small niche type club near the bus station called bar 101 I think with some younger blades mainly from woodhouse and handsworth after home games and it usually got a bit rowdy.

The Truro Tavern opposite the royal Standard was entertaining on friday nights in the early 70's it would be full of some quite notorious Unitedites, buses were parked up for the night behind the pub and a few lasses who came from Dingle land used them for karaoke lessons with the purple headed microphone. Other entertainment would be to steam through the Cossack just as it was closing on the way back to catch the bus in Pond St or there was always Pond St Nora to wind up. The Truro was the only boozer I have come across that was only licenced to sell beer, spirits and wine etc were not allowed.
the Great Britain on John street was the same

If my memory serves me correctly, there was a nice little mid week pub crawl to be had on a summer evening along Hill Street .... start Albion, London Road, onto Hill Street, Sheldon, Ship ( Great Britain), Harwood Hotel, Railway, I think there was a nice little chippy on Hill Street also to round it off.

Yes the Claymore. Still have fond memories, early seventies. Not sure what is is now ?

Back
Top Bottom