Monty

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

TonyAgana said:
TBH Robbie, if you can ask questions of the NU defense for the Webber header, surely you can as questions of Emre for Monty's "turn". He was miles away from Monty and he carried on running in the wrong direction!! Fair play to Monty for making the best of it though.

To be honest though, If I was up against Monty and he got a ball like that, I'd have done the same as Emre. It is well known Monty is by no means a technical/skillfull player, so for a turn of that calibre is astounding for young Monty.

Emre was trying to read the situation, and to be honest it is very rare he mistakes such a mistake.

Robbie said:
:D but the cross, although it created the goal, was not that good.

Match of the day muttered the same.

Personally, I don't see how it could have been any better, it was the perfect place, pace and timing. It passed all the defenders (who got nowhere near it) and dropped at the perfect height for danny to stick in.

All the thread was about was to give Monty a chance.

We've been crying out for our midfielders to be direct and get the final pass to actually go to one of our players.

Monty did that on Saturday.

silverfox said:
Monty did that on Saturday.
Once.

The rest of the match he lost posession, played players into trouble and panicked far too often. What I said was that if one good ball per match isn't good enough for Ifill, why is it good enough for Monty? People hark on about not being fair towards Monty but he's had far more chance to prove himself than many other players and in my mind that isn't fair.

TonyAgana said:
Once.

The rest of the match he lost posession, played players into trouble and panicked far too often. What I said was that if one good ball per match isn't good enough for Ifill, why is it good enough for Monty? People hark on about not being fair towards Monty but he's had far more chance to prove himself than many other players and in my mind that isn't fair.

That ..........once.....made the goal that won us the game.

Don't we need more of these "once" moments from all our players?

I have no problem with Ifill at all, although his performance in the reserves last week will not get him selected for the first team.

Foxy said:
Match of the day muttered the same.

Personally, I don't see how it could have been any better, it was the perfect place, pace and timing. It passed all the defenders (who got nowhere near it) and dropped at the perfect height for danny to stick in.

Don't tend to watch MOTD, because they seem quite biased against us.

Yes correct it was the perfect place/timing/pace. all I'm saying is the defence was too loose. Allowing the cross to get to Webber.

It passed the defenders because it was poor defending, not because the cross was magnificent.

I'm gonna hush now, because I do quite like monty, and it looks like I am hammering him down.

Robbie said:
I'm gonna hush now, because I do quite like monty, and it looks like I am hammering him down.

It's a debate that never seems to go away.

:D :D :D

silverfox said:
It's a debate that never seems to go away.

:D :D :D

I'll be honest, season before last, Monty frustrated me, week in week out. But last season he showed what a vital part of the team he can be.
We know he aint skillfull. We know he aint gonna get a bucket load of goals. But what he does give the team is a true solid foundation for other players to build around.

He gives 100% all the time, he never lets his head drop, he is a great man marker, he never shirks out of crunching challenges.

But he does have a box shaped head and looks like kryten :D

I don't like it when he is booed by our fans, and I think the fans that do boo him and don't give him any credit, are the ones that think you have to be skillfull to play football.

Sometimes you need a "Monty" to do all the dirty work.

He is a poor man's Makalele (spelling?)

We are a poor man's Chelsea :D

silverfox said:
That ..........once.....made the goal that won us the game.

Don't we need more of these "once" moments from all our players?

I have no problem with Ifill at all, although his performance in the reserves last week will not get him selected for the first team.
Yes it did make the goal, and yes we do need more players weighing in with the same. I'm not arguing that at all, but with his performance for the rest of the match (first half in particular) would he be on your teamsheet? Think of it this way. What if he'd not made the cross?

TonyAgana said:
Yes it did make the goal, and yes we do need more players weighing in with the same. I'm not arguing that at all, but with his performance for the rest of the match (first half in particular) would he be on your teamsheet? Think of it this way. What if he'd not made the cross?

For me yes, because he enables us to press forward in numbers which we saw more evidence of on saturday evening.

The thing is, he did make that cross and therefore made a goal, something we've been lacking recently.

TonyAgana said:

He was no worse than our midfield have looked most of the season.

If we dropped players for what people see as poor we couldn't field a team at times. :D

I think having Monty in gives more chances for people like Quinny to support Hulse and have Webber in a more forward role.

He'd probably be on my teamsheet untill someone better is signed or the youngsters come through.

SQuinny had another great game in the reserves and I was suprised that Nicky Law got the nod in front of him for the bench on Saturday.

Well I suppose the last two posts are why this is a forum and why he have debates. :)

TonyAgana said:
Well I suppose the last two posts are why this is a forum and why he have debates. :)

We used to have the debates in the pub every night when I was younger!

Much better.

:)

I think that you know what you get with Monty, he is never gonna be spraying passes around like Beckham or skinning deffenders with sublime skill like Ronaldo.

What you get is a player willing to sweat blood for the team, will hassle and battle for the ball at all times and cover every blade of grass.

He is the type of player that will come in useful against teams like Chelsea where we don't expect to be in possession for long periods. I have to admit i did not think he would be effective on Saturday but he made the goal with a beaty of a ball and worked tirelessly.

I am by no means his biggest fan but credit where it is due, his pass made the difference and i thought he battled well. I definately think he should start the next two games, tailor made for him in my opinion.

silverfox said:
SQuinny had another great game in the reserves and I was suprised that Nicky Law got the nod in front of him for the bench on Saturday.

If anyone got into the squad from Thursady night I thought it would have been Travis cos I haven't seen him have a bad game yet.

What team for :D
sheff FC

I dont mind Monty but the daily mail report sums it up for me 'made the cross for the goal but not much else' or something along those lines anyway.

He played well 2nd half but he was no better than anybody else in the midfield.

Sharpy said:
He played well 2nd half but he was no better than anybody else in the midfield.

But saying that, I don't think Gillespie had an outstanding game. He did what he needed to, as did Leigertwood but it's the quietest performance I've seen from him in a while. All three of the other midfielders' tendancy to stay back on Saturday gave Quinny the chance to show what he's good at and if only he'd hit that ball earlier! :D

At the end of the day, I think it's a bit sad to be slating anyone after that TEAM performance. Yeah we were second to the ball at times, nobody is denying that, but give over to being slightly content at following your team once in a while!

I've always said that if Monty could pass and shoot he'd be too good for us. The work rate of the fella is magnificent. If only he could turn a man and dink an inch perfect ball in to our strikers, he'd be world class.

Of course he gives the ball away, of course he panics, but untill we can afford a Makalele, he'd be in my first team. I thought Jags looked so much better along side Monty last season. I think we're dying for some creativity, and I don't see it coming from Leggy. I'd have Monty in with A N Other, preferably Gera.

BV said:
If only he could turn a man and dink an inch perfect ball in to our strikers, he'd be world class.

How many times does he have to do it to receive such recognition though?

He was doing well against Chelsea leaving their fancy dans on their arses and his cross v. Newcastle was excellent, despite what that tosser Hansen reckons.

What how want to know is how a cross that is perfect for your own player to head in with ease is anything but excellent?

Is there another type that looks better even if it hits the corner flag?

:confused:

silverfox said:
What how want to know is how a cross that is perfect for your own player to head in with ease is anything but excellent?

It WAS an excellent cross, because of poor defending.

I'm quite surprised this thread has got to the half century mark.

I think it may be because there is so many differing opinions on the boy monty.

silverfox said:

If that cross and header would have been Ronaldo to Saha then all the pundits would have been cumin pints over it.

It was an excellent turn, run, cross and perfect movement by Webber to get on the end of it.

I think it was excellent and want to see more of that kind of play and I think we can produce it.

Linz said:
How many times does he have to do it to receive such recognition though?

He was doing well against Chelsea leaving their fancy dans on their arses and his cross v. Newcastle was excellent, despite what that tosser Hansen reckons.

I thought he was excellent against Chelsea, his performance probably led to his start against Newcastle. He should certainly keep his place for Bolton.

Thing is Monty will have gained so much confidence due to his performances v Chelski & Newcastle, and the fact he set up the winning goal.

Can only see him progressing further this year.

He really should stay back after training though and practise shooting a bit more.

RaWW said:
He really should stay back after training though and practise shooting a bit more.

PASSING! he and tonge should pass the ball about long and short tonge can pass hes just forgot how too

RaWW said:
Thing is Monty will have gained so much confidence due to his performances v Chelski & Newcastle, and the fact he set up the winning goal.

Can only see him progressing further this year.

After he scored that peach of a goal against Brummies maybye he has been doing just that Dean. :)

Monty was one of our best performers during the early part of last season when we went on our unbeaten run and confidence was high, now he's been given the chance to shine, I can see him getting better as well, same goes for Quinny, he put in his best performance in the 2nd half against the Toon.

Back
Top Bottom