Match of the Day Shite

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The first game shown they talked about how it had everything and was exciting. Arguably our game had everything too but of course no talking point bar BBD.

However I am quite happy with the MOTD presenters purely as they did not say anything negative and were mildly positive about our attempts to keep trying to avoid the drop.

Unsure of the difference between that and Newcastle's 1st penalty

Gordon back from an offside position to win the penalty (well, dive, but)
The second pen was even worse, Phillips has the ball, about to kick it, Newcastle player doesn't attempt to play the ball and just pops his leg in front of Phillips (facing him and not the ball) who ends up kicking him instead of the ball.

Should have been a free kick to West Ham

It's because everyone knows we're going down having stunk up the division with our piss poor football all season.

Until we play someone significant where the result will have some baring on the title, Champions league positions etc, or a direct head to head at the bottom, no one cares what happens in our matches. Sheffield United vs Fulham is a seemingly insignificant nothing game so any contentious points to discuss aren't deemed worth talking about.

I get that. It would be like Sunderland vs Bristol City. Who cares if a goal was disallowed in the grand scheme of the Championship.
Is your middle name fuk ?

I remember MOTD when it was great during our first PL season under CW. Thought their coverage was brilliant that year, completely unbiased. It’s really took a turn for the worse the season after. Then was OK for a couple of seasons. This season it’s back to being really shit / biased again.

I don't think there are any more poor decisions now than there were before VAR. probably less. But I do believe it's easier for them to chalk off a goal now than it was...
We scored 4 goal and two were VAR checked, they scored three with out any check at all....:(

This raises the other issue regarding VAR. Fans in the ground haven't got a clue what's going on when VAR comes into play. As has been said elsewhere, the stadium screen was flashing 'goal' all the time the check was going on. The application of VAR is only semi-understandable to live TV viewers
Well said.
Thing is, the people in the ground don’t matter any more. Why worry about us? Far better to focus on the people sat on their arses at home, fiddling with their phones and half watching the matches on telly . We also need to think about the pundits, and the ref in the studio - these people need to be kept busy.
VAR sickens me, it completely disenfranchises the paying supporter in the ground. We can’t even celebrate a goal properly until the review is complete - spontaneity is destroyed by faux accuracy.
I hate the prospect of being relegated, but the anticipation of enjoying a season without VAR significantly cushions the blow.

I don't think there are any more poor decisions now than there were before VAR. probably less. But I do believe it's easier for them to chalk off a goal now than it was...
We scored 4 goal and two were VAR checked, they scored three with out any check at all....:(
The Brighton cup game. Tried desperately to get our two ruled out. Brighton's five were of course, free of doubt.

It's the bit where it hits McBurnies knee. If you freeze it there, Souza is offside. He then comes back and tackles for the ball that falls back to McBurnie.
There's no further offside after that so it has to be the build up. Commentator is wrong.

This is what gets me two defenders try to clear the ball so the touch from the defenders are both intentional NOT accidental McBurnie then puts it in the net how can that be offside?

Last edited:
There are no appeals and complaints from the Fulham players when the goal goes in. If it was a clear and obvious error you might have expected one of their defenders to also notice. I know it’s a debate that has been done to death but for me VAR isn’t there to forensically unpick everything and referee the match. Just spot the howlers and that wasn’t one.

Well said.
Thing is, the people in the ground don’t matter any more. Why worry about us? Far better to focus on the people sat on their arses at home, fiddling with their phones and half watching the matches on telly . We also need to think about the pundits, and the ref in the studio - these people need to be kept busy.
VAR sickens me, it completely disenfranchises the paying supporter in the ground. We can’t even celebrate a goal properly until the review is complete - spontaneity is destroyed by faux accuracy.
I hate the prospect of being relegated, but the anticipation of enjoying a season without VAR significantly cushions the blow.

Totally agree.

However for those of us in the ground we are important as we play the role of the 'unpaid extras.' We create the atmosphere which is a major part of the theatre that is beamed across the world to some (Liverpool / Arsenal / Man City / Chelsea / Man Utd / Spurs, delete where necessary) supporting kid in Asia watching the Premier league on his / her 'phone.

Without us the games will be transmitted similar to the Covid days. That's the last thing Sky / TNT (or whatever they call themselves) want to happen.

But we are taken advantage of when VAR goes through its motions and we sit / stand there not having a Scooby Doo what's going on. Of course the TV pundits kick in on the screens to watch the incident from every angle in order to keep their audience engaged.

In 2024 and in today's society we could find some type of law that allows us to sue for neglect and abuse.

The Brighton cup game. Tried desperately to get our two ruled out. Brighton's five were of course, free of doubt.
I'm not sure what exactly we'd have VARd about, was it their first one? Whacked way too hard from outside the box in to the top corner?

I do get where you're coming from though. It's difficult to argue against VAR as you're always (apparently) getting the correct decision but I said this the very season they introduced it - it's sucking all the fun out of football. I understand the need for it for goal line tech (when it's, yknow, turned on) and even some hand balls but the extent to which it's being applied for offsides and what have you seem incredibly pedantic

Back
Top Bottom