Marcus (aka boundsgreen) - RIP

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I posted the above photo because that image of Marcus is pretty much how I always pictured him. He was a great bloke. When we got together for the 'telly matches' I was always pleased when Marcus and his mate Michael turned up. You knew you'd have a laugh. He'll be very much missed. Thoughts to his family.

Unbelievably sad news which hasn't sunk in since I spoke with Blackheath yesterday.

Some amazing stories befitting of Marcus. My personal memories include the many train journeys, players lounge at MK, him getting told off by stewards for smoking, him telling everyone to fuck off, getting lost in Yeovil, his generosity and sense of humour, Burger Van incident, being called a c*?t every 5 minutes, but most of all of him constantly looking out for me.

God bless Marcus. Hope there's a decent "boozer" up there fella. Thoughts with his family and friends at this time.

South Coast Blade aka Harry

b1f22586-71a3-fad3-0000-014d2d553f2e

Saw Blackheath's original post yesterday and feared the worst.

The photo which appeared subsequently confirmed it was the guy I knew.

Marcus was one of the Hinde House/Herries crew if memory serves, a mate of a mate who met our Phil whilst part timing at Fine Fare (look it up kids) at Firth Park back in the seventies.

------------- He was Hinde House

One of the funniest blokes I've ever met. I remember being sat in The Harp with him and SE1Blade after a match and he went on some insane monologue about growing up in Sheffield that was like something out of Paul Calf. People say they fell of their chair laughing, I honestly did. I also used to bump into him at Finsbury Park in the mornings fairly often when I worked on Holloway Road.

Top man. I'll miss him.

Its not very often as an adult that you can laugh so much it hurts. You've heard most things and a chuckle or a titter is about as much as most people will give, even if its very funny or if you're at a comedy gig. That night I laughed so much at his stories it was painful. As Walthamstow Blade said it was like a Sheffield version of Paul Calf and utterly in the moment. A top bloke and he will be very sadly missed. He was missed tonight as there was no-one to sit right in front of the tv, act like a lunatic and bang glasses on the table.

Its not very often as an adult that you can laugh so much it hurts. You've heard most things and a chuckle or a titter is about as much as most people will give, even if its very funny or if you're at a comedy gig. That night I laughed so much at his stories it was painful. As Walthamstow Blade said it was like a Sheffield version of Paul Calf and utterly in the moment. A top bloke and he will be very sadly missed. He was missed tonight as there was no-one to sit right in front of the tv, act like a lunatic and bang glasses on the table.

As a follow-up, well done to all the London Blades in the Maple Leaf last night. It's not a particular reference to the result or quality of play to say that the raised glasses tribute to Marcus and rendition of his favourite 'Bill Shankly' song was a real highlight.

"Bertie Mee said to Bill Shankly,
Have you heard of the North Bank Highbury,
He said no, I don`t think so,
But I`ve heard of the Shoreham aggro!"

Last edited:
Marcus was fondly remembered too by the ex-LBs (and Greenwich) who were in the Rutland last night.

As others have said, he will be very much missed as he was a huge presence at LB's gatherings, as it was real fun to be in his company, with his quick wit and humour. You always knew the good times would flow with Marcus there.

One of the last times I saw him we had a long and merry chat at half-time at the Gillingham debacle, and then afterwards as he cajoled me and a fellow LB Tom into joining him and Michael (Halfway) for a pint 'not far from the station' after the match, which was actually a good 15 minute hike around the backstreets of nowhere, until we got to this tiny boozer, probably untouched since the 70s. But, you know, you would have followed Marcus anywhere as you knew you were in for something special, and sure enough, we had a great time.

Sadly, I saw him, briefly, for the very last time when we sunk and spilled pre-match beer at Crawley. He went outside in the rain for a smoke, and that was that.

As they say, 'Always a pleasure ...'

Really proud to have had Marcus as my friend and missing him like nobody's business. You can't take away the memories though. Marcus pinning me to my seat when we scored and we were sat with the home fans at Luton..... Sitting on a train singing Winco Winco Wincobank to the tune of I am the Music Man..... Having a bit of a laugh with Tony Agana and Sean Bean on the way home from some godforsaken dump ..... A match will never be the same without him.100B0266.JPG

Just a very sad note to let you all know of the tragic death of a Forum member yesterday, Tuesday 5 May in North London.
I've known Marcus approximately 30 years and am in total shock since hearing this news at lunchtime today.
Having lived in London for many years, he was invaluable to me when I moved down here by telling me where to live, where not to live and just as importantly, which pubs to drink in !!
When I got homesick, Marcus was the first person I called when I needed a lift, a chat and a beer. He was the person who introduced me to the London Blades and we shared some fabulous away days watching The Red & White Wizards.
I've no doubt that those who knew him well will be equally devastated at this news, and my thoughts are with his wife Kath at such a terrible time.

Good night pal, and God bless.

Your heartbroken mate

Andrew "Buck" Rodgers.
Hi Andy
I think it was you at the Gillingham match earlier this year. Not sure if you got Kath's email but she sent the funeral arrangements and wanted them passing on. She wrote "
I wanted to give you as much notice as possible for the funeral which will be on Friday 22nd May at 12:45

New Southgate Crematorium
Brunswick Park Road
New Southgate
N11 1JJ
http://www.newsouthgatecemetery.co.uk/

Afterwards at the Springfield Park Tavern to share our many memories
133 Bounds Green Road
London
N11 2PP
UK
http://www.springfieldbar.co.uk/

I'm missing many email addresses so I'd really appreciate your help in passing the details on where you can
Kath x

Hi Andy
I think it was you at the Gillingham match earlier this year. Not sure if you got Kath's email but she sent the funeral arrangements and wanted them passing on. She wrote "
I wanted to give you as much notice as possible for the funeral which will be on Friday 22nd May at 12:45

Brunswick Park Road
New Southgate
N11 1JJ

133 Bounds Green Road
London
N11 2PP
UK

I'm missing many email addresses so I'd really appreciate your help in passing the details on where you can
Kath x

Thanks for the info.

Hi Andy

Brunswick Park Road
New Southgate
N11 1JJ

133 Bounds Green Road
London
N11 2PP
UK

Kath x

Hi Chris

Yes it was me at Gillingham and yes I've received the same email from Kath this evening. Thank you for posting on here for everyone's attention.

On a separate note, my apologies to those who've been trying to contact me in recent days. I'm ok and I hope you won't take offence at me preferring to deal with this in my own way.

I hope to see some of you at the funeral next Friday.

Didn't know him but sounds like a top bloke. Condolences to his family and friends.

I trust today was a fitting celebration for a lad who made a mark on both mine and my wife's life. We couldn't be there but we have raised a glass and hope that all those left behind will ,in time, come to terms with it all and remember a true enigmatic friend.

Sad day, sad event, but a fitting tribute to Marcus the man. Standing room only at the crem and many standing outside bore witness to his popularity. London and Sheffield Blades well represented as were those from across the city. Annie's Song in the service, with a rendition at the wake (local pub) using the correct words by all Blades present.

Hope we all did you proud today, Marcus!

Sad day, sad event, but a fitting tribute to Marcus the man. Standing room only at the crem and many standing outside bore witness to his popularity. London and Sheffield Blades well represented as were those from across the city. Annie's Song in the service, with a rendition at the wake (local pub) using the correct words by all Blades present.

Hope we all did you proud today, Marcus!

Just got home and feeling very sombre now the beer is starting to wear off.

Fitting tribute for the larger than life little fella. RIP

I met Marcus probably a handful of times on trips back to the capital, a proper blade from the times I spoke to him, and have been some very good words on here for him. RIP Marcus

Glad the service went well, you know it's one of the important days when you see Greenwich Blade in a tie.

I saw this thread the other day, and not really had to time to compose a proper response.

I recognise Marcus from the pictures that you have posted, i saw him a once or twice when i worked on board the London trains and he had some Blades gear on. Also saw him a few times on my away trips down south, and chatted with him a few times, but he was one of those people you know by sight, and to say hello to, and exchange a bit of Blades chat with, but you don't really know anything else about. It is strange how when you have been a regular away day blade for a number of years that you seem to have loads of casual aquaintences you know by sight, and can have a quick chat with but you don't know anything else about. (Prime example is Graces Dad at my little lads school is someone i have seem for years at the Lane and often away from home, but i never really knew anything about)

From memory (which is a bit diminished from the amount of ale i have supped on away days over the years), the last time i can recall seeing him was at either Bournemouth or Crawley a couple of seasons back, as i remember talking to him on the train back to London. He was like any one of the usual travelling Blades, knoweldgable and committed. It is these kinds of casual aquainences that enriches the lifetime of often fruitless and futile experiences of being a regular away day Blade.

As a final point, i have been to far too many funerals over the last few years (haven't we all mind), but the one thing i have noticed is that the measure of the regard that a person is held in, is how people come together in the sad event of a funeral, and even though i don't see eye to eye with quite a few of the London Blades, it is impressive how you all came together on this sad occasion, and you can take great credit for this.

RIP

Marcus has been a big man, a massive Blade and one of the hubs of the London Blades Fraternity. Not until his death did I realise just how many of you posted on here. Good on'yer and good on Marcus. RIP.

Back
Top Bottom