James Wallace

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I very much doubt it would have been as simple as that, his agent must have been making his availability for transfer known to other clubs. If he wasn't his agent wants sacking!

I don't pretend to know the ins and outs, I just think it's certainly possible we would have been able to sign him. I suspect that Coady would have been keen given his success here.

People who say, "we should have stuck with Clough" Look at decisions like signing Wallace and Coutts, and not pursuing Coady and think again.

2 year deal wasn't it?

Not too much longer to carry him now.

Wallace got a 3 year deal when signed amazingly, despite never having played more than about a dozen games a seasons for the past 5 years or so. Astonishing lack of due diligence on that one!
We've got to get the long term injury prone-sters out of the club they sap all morale and drag the rest down.
We ought to contract out our medicals and negotiate an agreement with a medical assessment organisation in which if the medical turns out faulty (and the players is a crock) we recover the players wages through their insurance. Must be possible and would incentivise a thorough investigation of a player's injury history...

People who say, "we should have stuck with Clough" Look at decisions like signing Wallace and Coutts, and not pursuing Coady and think again.

There are a lot of things that are difficult to defend about Clough but I do think he would be getting more points out of the squad than Adkins is.

I also think the centre of defence would have been sorted by now after struggling last season.

Who really knows?

Wow what a crock this poor sod has turned out to be? Is it really a 3 year deal? I really think if hes not fit by xmas then we should be paying both him and Flo off and letting someone else take a punt on them.

Whoever is on the medical staff also needs to be sacked. Unless we were told the players were risks but Clough signed them anyway?

We desperately need to bin off all the fringe players and crocks and concentrate on a small core of players.

Somebody other than Clough must have looked at his injury history, I think he was actually injured when he signed too.

I really want him to illustrate what a good footballer, I just can't see him playing more than a handful of games a season.

Somebody other than Clough must have looked at his injury history, I think he was actually injured when he signed too.

I really want him to illustrate what a good footballer, I just can't see him playing more than a handful of games a season.

Its these type of players that put the Clough management time at the lane in a bad light . We have players like Wallace and Coutts on good contracts ( no idea of there salaries ) , but the bottom line , this type of player, are actually preventing us moving forward.

1. They are always injured , carrying niggles , are unreliable and you cannot build a side around them.

2. The money it is costing us , is restricting us to purchase other players.

This is not the players fault at all , but you do wonder of the competance of the clubs management , bearing some are still on the payroll.

They are both known of being good footballers , but i am afraid as a asset they are in negative equity , and we will never see the best of them , which is sad and frustrating , as they are the players we desperately need and missing .

UTB

Sorry if this has been covered in the first 4 pages of this thread, can't be bothered to trawl through.

But did Jim hint tonight that we has no insurance to cover Wallace's various injuries?

Who's in charge of this sort of thing?

Sorry if this has been covered in the first 4 pages of this thread, can't be bothered to trawl through.

But did Jim hint tonight that we has no insurance to cover Wallace's various injuries?

Good point . i think we have 3no players which are not covered , due to injury records , which makes the situation more baffling .

We have in a way , been sold a number of pups , and even a free transfer , can cost a club a boat load of money . If we were being succesful and looking at a very positive season , then us fans perhaps would not be so critical or question certain actions of the club.

Adkins does need a clear the air with the players , and clear the club of players who just cannot be relied upon to fight the cause IMO

UTB

Good point . i think we have 3no players which are not covered , due to injury records , which makes the situation more baffling .

We have in a way , been sold a number of pups , and even a free transfer , can cost a club a boat load of money . If we were being succesful and looking at a very positive season , then us fans perhaps would not be so critical or question certain actions of the club.

Adkins does need a clear the air with the players , and clear the club of players who just cannot be relied upon to fight the cause IMO

UTB

And if you were these players, you'd see out your contract too, as would I, as you never know if you'll get a new one.

We're stuck with the high wages of players who can't play.

Adkins has his hands tied to a large extent.

I just hope he doesn't get too frustrated and leave.

And if you were these players, you'd see out your contract too, as would I, as you never know if you'll get a new one.

We're stuck with the high wages of players who can't play.

Adkins has his hands tied to a large extent.

I just hope he doesn't get too frustrated and leave.

Your last line may well carry some truth in it . Thats why there is more riding on this Hammond deal than we realise , as Leicester have not budged a inch on the blokes salary .

Two guys with Leicester connections who will have played a part in helping us , if the deal goes through are Steve Walsh and Alan Birchenall .

I still have a feeling that Leiecester will have first refual on Che Adams, under a gentlemans agreement.

We need Adkins to stay with backing from the board . He gets it from us fans , and at the moment i bet he is frustrated as us.

UTB

Your last line may well carry some truth in it . Thats why there is more riding on this Hammond deal than we realise , as Leicester have not budged a inch on the blokes salary .

How do you know this? If we're paying his premier league salary (which is really doubt), then we've lost the plot.

UTB

How do you know this? If we're paying his premier league salary (which is really doubt), then we've lost the plot.

UTB

Alco , was in Leicester this morning with two guys connected with the club , and they had not budged on salary . If the deal comes off , then my gut feeling something else has been worked out to broker the deal. If he does arrive it does show we are showing intent and Adkins sees Hammond a necessity to pull the other players together , with the missing link. Could it be a message to the board and the existing players - With him we have a chance of success , without him we are fucked . My name is Adkins not Jesus , i cannot work miricles . Who knows , but it could be just what we need.

UTB

I'm guessing the cost of the premiums given previous history would have been the same as bringing in Gundogan on a five year deal

Alco , was in Leicester this morning with two guys connected with the club , and they had not budged on salary . If the deal comes off , then my gut feeling something else has been worked out to broker the deal. If he does arrive it does show we are showing intent and Adkins sees Hammond a necessity to pull the other players together , with the missing link. Could it be a message to the board and the existing players - With him we have a chance of success , without him we are fucked . My name is Adkins not Jesus , i cannot work miricles . Who knows , but it could be just what we need.

UTB

Let me get this right, we off load Adams and bring in a 32 year old who's not been fighting to get here and that's intent?

So if
Grumpy , its my gut feeling about Adams. You just dont know with United. Dafter things have happenned.

UTB

So if we are paying 'full wages' at the quoted 22k then that'll be around 600k for the rest of the season...not too bad is it to sign our new Captain?

From all the 'rumours' I've read, apart from wages the sticking point seemed to have been the valuation of the player to buy in January/next season...I'm guessing a buy-on clause for a further year (more likely two :8 ) will have been a big part of the deal from Hammonds point of view.

...and given the recent tweeting a from Jim about mistakes of the past, offering long contracts to crocked/old players etc...I'm gussing Adkins is attempting to make an exception with Hammond and go back to the 'bad old ways' the club is trying to move on from...

Isn't insurance in place to cover for player retirement? Don't think this has been suggested yet has it?

Still can't get my head around the decision to sign Wallace ahead of Coady. Wallace was notoriously injury prone whereas Coady was a 20 year old complete footballer who'll give you 40 games every season. It was clear to anyone with any football knowledge that Coady was no risk whatsoever at the sort of money it would've cost to sign him. The proof, as it it was needed, is the fee Wolves paid Huddersfield for him.

To take such a risk in replacing a key player in a key position was absolute madness and one of the worst things Clough did - and there were plenty to choose from.

Wallace should only ever have been signed in addition to Coady if available on more reasonable terms.

Still can't get my head around the decision to sign Wallace ahead of Coady. Wallace was notoriously injury prone whereas Coady was a 20 year old complete footballer who'll give you 40 games every season. It was clear to anyone with any football knowledge that Coady was no risk whatsoever at the sort of money it would've cost to sign him. The proof, as it it was needed, is the fee Wolves paid Huddersfield for him.

To take such a risk in replacing a key player in a key position was absolute madness and one of the worst things Clough did - and there were plenty to choose from.

Wallace should only ever have been signed in addition to Coady if available on more reasonable terms.

This isn't in defence of Clough Ricky, but it was never an either or situation. At the time Liverpool was asking approximately £1.4 million for Coady, and I'm sure as much as Clough would have liked him to sign, at that price Clough just couldn't justify the outlay. So the benefit of hindsight comes into play, and we all know what roads that can lead us down. Signing Wallace must have seemed a more affordable option, and as Liverpool weren't budging in the evaluation of Coady Clough needed to bring players on board.

At the time I recall writing that I hope Clough plumps for quality over quantity. If we'd signed 6 or 7 quality players we'd have been in a good position to push on, but instead we went for a policy of signing jobsworths, with a few decent players thrown into that mix. One of Clough's last signings was Done, and he was one of that rare group who suggested that we might have a chance of moving forward. Trouble is we just never bought enough of the right type of player. There were struggling attempts to shore up our defence, McCarthy from Palace seemed the answer, but as it turned out McCarthy's finer moments were long behind him and eventually he left the club.

But back to Coady, a club prepared to gamble might have been prepared to take a chance at Liverpool's evaluation, but I recall that quite a few poster said 'no' at that price, and by then Clough had bought a midfield straight out of the Argos catalogue. We had triers instead of the one thing we (still) need. Players of obvious quality, those a cut above our existing squad, players who'll be equipped for what this division, and the division above, demands of us.

A few months later, Liverpool had dropped Coady's price to £400K, and Huddersfield nipped in and got themselves a good player.

This isn't in defence of Clough Ricky, but it was never an either or situation. At the time Liverpool was asking approximately £1.4 million for Coady, and I'm sure as much as Clough would have liked him to sign, at that price Clough just couldn't justify the outlay. So the benefit of hindsight comes into play, and we all know what roads that can lead us down. Signing Wallace must have seemed a more affordable option, and as Liverpool weren't budging in the evaluation of Coady Clough needed to bring players on board.

At the time I recall writing that I hope Clough plumps for quality over quantity. If we'd signed 6 or 7 quality players we'd have been in a good position to push on, but instead we went for a policy of signing jobsworths, with a few decent players thrown into that mix. One of Clough's last signings was Done, and he was one of that rare group who suggested that we might have a chance of moving forward. Trouble is we just never bought enough of the right type of player. There were struggling attempts to shore up our defence, McCarthy from Palace seemed the answer, but as it turned out McCarthy's finer moments were long behind him and eventually he left the club.

But back to Coady, a club prepared to gamble might have been prepared to take a chance at Liverpool's evaluation, but I recall that quite a few poster said 'no' at that price, and by then Clough had bought a midfield straight out of the Argos catalogue. We had triers instead of the one thing we (still) need. Players of obvious quality, those a cut above our existing squad, players who'll be equipped for what this division, and the division above, demands of us.

A few months later, Liverpool had dropped Coady's price to £400K, and Huddersfield nipped in and got themselves a good player.

Hold out to buy the right player (Hammond, Burn) - meltdown on here.

Buy 2nd or 3rd choice who is available at the time (Wallace rather than Coady) - meltdown on here.

Who'd be Blades manager?

Buy 2nd or 3rd choice who is available at the time (Wallace rather than Coady) - meltdown on here.

Who'd be Blades manager?

This ignores the point. United didn't sign the 2nd or 3rd choice. They signed a crock who never plays, and he was known to be a crock when they signed him.

This ignores the point. United didn't sign the 2nd or 3rd choice. They signed a crock who never plays, and he was known to be a crock when they signed him.

...but he was still 2nd or 3rd choice on the Clough list for that midfield position, crocked or not. Couldn't afford/can't wait for Coady so sign the next guy on the list, clough only did what plenty are screaming for Adkins to do now.

Who'd be Blades manager?

In a nutshell, that summary says it all SEB. I recall Clough attempting to go for Alan Judge but he chose Brentford because they appeared to have better options. Clough said as much and in that one sentence summed up the problems faced by a club like ours.

In the wait for better players the games begin to pile up, the points tally varies, and supporters, who by now are in a froth driven frenzy, seem to think that signing anyone will be the answer to what ails us. I dare say that if it was the equivalent of a 5-minute chat, a deal could be agreed and signed, but for whatever reason this doesn't happen, so we must be patient, let the manager pursue his targets, and hopefully we'll begin to see the benefits of signing better players.

...but he was still 2nd or 3rd choice on the Clough list for that midfield position, crocked or not. Couldn't afford/can't wait for Coady so sign the next guy on the list, clough only did what plenty are screaming for Adkins to do now.

I see your point but there is a discernable difference re Wallace in that he should never have been considered in the first place.

People are not screaming for Adkins to sign a permanently injured player.

I see your point but there is a discernable difference re Wallace in that he should never have been considered in the first place.

People are not screaming for Adkins to sign a permanently injured player.

No, but they are demanding somebody now, next on the list Adkins. At the time, that was Wallace.

Back
Top Bottom