Is it more fun in the Championship?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Would you rather be a successful Champioship team or a poor Premier League team?

• Yes

Votes: 185 87.3%
  • No

Votes: 27 12.7%

• Total voters
We need a regime overseeing the running of the club that operates using joined-up thinking, as opposed to the fucking crayon eaters having an enthusiastic-but-shit go now.

I wouldn't say there's often a style of play, player or club I wanna see more of in that league.
And which Prem club do you enjoy watching as a neutral?

If you mention Man City you are already lobotomized. They are the definition of sterile and boring. Football on doping. Lance Armstrong in Coventry shirts… 👕

Even pre-Covid when everything went for us, the only ground I came away from, thinking wow, these are a fantastic watch, were Liverpool.

7 out of 10 games in the Prem are boring and onesided. You know who wins. And you know that the few moments of substance will be summed up perfectly in three or four minutes. Totally no need for the other 97 minutes.

The other three matches are one surprise classic. A Newcastle vs Luton. If you want to catch it, you have to suffer the 7 borefests…

Two are so called top of the table must watches. One of those will again inevitably be shit as fuck. Eight shots for one side, two on target. Six for the other, three on target. 1-0 or 1-1. Plenty of discussion about two minor VAR incidents and yes, there will be eight players on show who won the World Cup and five more who will one day.

There also will be double the amount of blatant attempts at conning the ref or soft free kicks than combined shot on target.

And one of ten games will be a top of the table classic with genuine class and entertainment levels that justified the best league in the world misnomer…

So for the neutral: Moderate entertainment can be gleaned from each of Spurs, Villa, Luton and Liverpool this year.

Stinking the league out are Burnley, Blades, Man City, Man U, Chelsea and Palace.

The rest are meh, basically Championship without the everybody might end up in the playoffs factor, but with better players.

The Prem is crap even for neutrals, unless you buy the top five hype.

The Championship is lower on quality. But at least it retains certain elements of sport, competition and open-endedness.

Take Huddersfield yesterday: totally open before the match. Nothing in it for over an hour, anybody’s game. Ended up a bruising hammering, something that defines a season. It’ll serve as a reference for sixteen year olds who experience it for the first time.

And yes, Pigs had a few 0-4s before.

Our three 0-5 scorelines do not compare. All of them were matches we knew we would lose anyway. Only Burnley was surprising in the margin. The Prem has zero romance, just predefined boxes you operate in. It takes three years to move up to the next box. By that time you have worked out already that the next box is actually not all that.

Palace and Charlton are perfect examples. All survived the three year pure survival box. Then went successfully through the established but flirt with relegation box. Before wanting to all kill each other because they got stuck in the pointless midtable box for five years…

Our checkered league 1 to Prem and back history requires emotional fortitude and a brain that can deal with change and anguish, but easily is preferable to 33 of 40 of England’s top teams.

Only the top six for obvious reasons and maybe Brighton and Newcastle can claim to have had more real life fun in the years from 1990 to today than us.

And that IS a Fallowfield fact… 😂😇😍

Winning is always more fun than losing. The Premier League is a bit like being invited to a party where everyone is much more glamourous, richer and cooler than you. It reminds me of nursing a vodka and coke for an hour in a nightclub in Puerto Banus. For match going fans, the Championship, is undoubtedly much more fun, due to the absence of VAR, stupid kick off times, glory hunting fans etc.

All fans want is to enjoy Saturday afternoons.

What is boils down to is performance relative to expectations. This is true at ANY level for any club.

Do better than you expect/hope for, Football is generally good.

Do worse then you expect/hope for, Football is generally shite.

PL is just a different set of expectations to Championship.

We expected to go down with a fight, but are doing so with a whimper - generally shite.

Luton expected to be the whipping boys, but are putting up a fight - generally good.

Etc etc

This season Spurs, arsenal, Liverpool in terms of good style of play. Man city might be boring because they are so dominant but you are a bit thick if you can't appreciate how good that side are on the pitch
I have to say that I am thick then. Over one hundred charges. Completely predictable score lines. A style designed to stifle and remove any margin for unpredictable outcomes, aided by ten years of rule changes to minimize stylistic differences.

It is effective and successful. They are extremely good. But entertaining or in any way heart warming, no. So fun for me as a neutral? No, sorry. Not after you have seen, say, five games of it.

I do not contest that they are good. I do not contest the skill it took to make them unassailable. But this was (in my understanding) a discussion about what league is a more satisfying watch, so about entertainment not class. They have become anti-competitive boredom in the main. At least for fans of 16 other Prem sides and thus the neutrals.

But then I am a Blade for a reason. I like my anarchy and elements of chaos. I don’t enjoy structured brilliance and am not a control freak. 😊

We know there is no long term plan for the club currently as the owner has made it clear he wants to sell. The only reason to get promotion is because it will be a more attractive purchase.

I don't see us (or any side up from the championshop) making it as an established PL side, unless they get bought.

Look at Burnley, they were tip flight for how many seasons but then went down and will be going down with us again.

Not sure I would really enjoy 3 or 4 seasons in the PL unless we end up a mid table side which means being about man United, Chelsea, Newcastle, Fulham and wolves

Beating Dull / Weeds away absolute fun as we well know . Shame pork can’t join the party but you can’t have it all can you 🤓

We need a regime overseeing the running of the club that operates using joined-up thinking, as opposed to the fucking crayon eaters having an enthusiastic-but-shit go now.
You’re either a nation state , failed entrepreneur or crook to be involved in football right now 😫

All fans want is to enjoy Saturday afternoons.

What is boils down to is performance relative to expectations. This is true at ANY level for any club.

Do better than you expect/hope for, Football is generally good.

Do worse then you expect/hope for, Football is generally shite.

PL is just a different set of expectations to Championship.

We expected to go down with a fight, but are doing so with a whimper - generally shite.

Luton expected to be the whipping boys, but are putting up a fight - generally good.

Etc etc

Now that is a very fair analysis and ties in with why I would say that we rank about 7th out of the top 40 in terms of the fun we had in the last 40 years or so.

The only slight modification I would make in terms of the Prem and the discussion about which league is the best to be in, is this: The level of reasonable expectations a league allows is extremely rigid, stratified and unforgiving in the Prem.

Your analysis is very intuitive and good in that it captures all clubs at all stages of their history. Set against the leagues, the Prem allows for smaller dreams and may force you into very repetitive sets of expectations - in my post above, Palace have had the same for seven years or so now…

We've shown we can compete in the Prem for a season, even with a Primark squad. But, to build on that and threaten to be an established member? We're a million miles away and very much doubt I'll ever see it.

So.... The Champ then. Far better all round right? Except for that I don't want the prize* on offer of winning it**. Im becoming increasingly indifferent to all of it. Thinking Stocksbridge PS or Peni Church regular next season. Early midlife crisis.

*without any semblance of a long term plan

**I would however take a play-off victory

It’s all about having a competitive team in the league we’re in. When we finished 9th that season was the best I have experienced. At the big boys table with all attention that goes with it, playing well and getting all the plaudits.

Let’s be honest we’re a top end championship club so nearly always have a competitive team for that league. And the opposite can be said for when we’re in the prem.

Competitive = fun

No club can afford a squad of 22 players on £50k per week+. Where is that money coming from through honest earned revenue.

In the Premier League, what you suggest "no club can afford" actually equates to "around half the absolute minimum TV revenue"

It won't be with this shower...

No club can afford a squad of 22 players on £50k per week+. Where is that money coming from through honest earned revenue.
Clubs often make a loss but they could afford that.

Leicester got more money for their relegation from TV money than they got in 2016 when they won the league.

Clubs often make a loss but they could afford that.

Leicester got more money for their relegation from TV money than they got in 2016 when they won the league.
Wow - that's a sobering fact of how the money has changed.

After the season we finished 9th you’d have probably got a different set of responses.

Am I missing something. How do you vote this question with only YES or NO ?

"Would you rather be a successful Champioship team or a poor Premier League team?"​

🤣

I get the sentiment but surely success in any league means winning promotion, otherwise what's the point? Being comfortable mid table/top half but safely avoiding promotion year on year would be a bit shit really (but obv. miles better than dropping down to L1).

If you are at the top then are winning games regularly,so it's more fun,the opposite if you are at the bottom end.Its the same in every league.

For United is this the case?

Financially we can not compete. Unless we buy 22 players and spend £150 million (like Forest) we have no chance of staying up, they stayed up by one point!

Sides that come down usually do pretty well in the Championship.

The Championship will prove be far less depressing - winning games, cup runs and pushing for promotion.

The only down side is when/if promoted we then have a thoroughly depressing season (aka this season).
It`s more fun in prison

I think I watched and enjoyed better football that we played when we got relegated to the old 4th division, I do hope all of this £100 million that were supposed to get from being in the premier league isn’t going to get squandered I’m wondering/scared that the Prince has spent it we’re already behind because he used this seasons ticket sales to get us out of the mire from last season and we are going to start next season short, I’m hoping we’re going to spend the rest wisely! Or this season has been a waste of time and money for the fans.

Imagine being a mid-table champ side that doesn't tend to get relegated or promoted, or even reach the play-offs. Bristol City, Preston, Millwall all leap to mind.

This is the kind of thread that we laugh at Porktalk for, it’s embarrassing that we pretend not to like the PL because we’re shit at being in it.

Dig some threads out from the year we finished 9th and I bet a fair % enjoyed that season.

Being shit in any league is bad.

Pretending you don’t want to play at the highest levels because “game’s gone” is parochial and embarrassing.

For United is this the case?

Financially we can not compete. Unless we buy 22 players and spend £150 million (like Forest) we have no chance of staying up, they stayed up by one point!

Sides that come down usually do pretty well in the Championship.

The Championship will prove be far less depressing - winning games, cup runs and pushing for promotion.

The only down side is when/if promoted we then have a thoroughly depressing season (aka this season).
I love the Championship ... have a few pints with mates and the lad, nice bit of food, win most games... get on the train happy going home to see the girls

I think the tag that the Championship had at one time of being one of the toughest leagues in Europe is diminishing somewhat,especially in terms of quality.Some very mediocre teams in there now,even in the top 6,the gap is definitely widening between most of the PL and the Championship now even around the established teams who just hang around the PL season after season and just survive.

Back
Top Bottom