Is it more fun in the Championship?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Would you rather be a successful Champioship team or a poor Premier League team?

• Yes

Votes: 185 87.3%
  • No

Votes: 27 12.7%

• Total voters

Tony Currie

Reaction score
For United is this the case?

Financially we can not compete. Unless we buy 22 players and spend £150 million (like Forest) we have no chance of staying up, they stayed up by one point!

Sides that come down usually do pretty well in the Championship.

The Championship will prove be far less depressing - winning games, cup runs and pushing for promotion.

The only down side is when/if promoted we then have a thoroughly depressing season (aka this season).

For United is this the case?

Financially we can not compete. Unless we buy 22 players and spend £150 million (like Forest) we have no chance of staying up, they stayed up by one point!

Sides that come down usually do pretty well in the Championship.

The Championship will prove be far less depressing - winning games, cup runs and pushing for promotion.

The only down side is when/if promoted we then have a thoroughly depressing season (aka this season).
The irony is that we would sign 22 players with £150mil instead of 6-7 quality players.

I hate the Premier League and always have. There's too much money and FFP is a joke when rich owners can just spunk money up the wall. It's broken and the Premier League is too arrogant to address this or care.

The last time we went up we were debt free, we went up with the 4th lowest wage bill in the Championship. Even with new signings, new contracts and promotion pay rises, our wage bill was still the lowest in the Premier League and lower than some teams in the Championship. We spent money based on what we would earn that season. We spent within our means without the threatening the long term future of the club, as should every club.

Sadly this wasn't enough as we couldn't attract quality as the wages are too high, so we could only afford Championship players in the hope that they might make the step up. They didn't.

I hate the Premier League and have done since the day Roman Abramovich took over Chelsea and destroyed the league forever.

No club can afford a squad of 22 players on £50k per week+. Where is that money coming from through honest earned revenue.

I refuse to pay for Sky as I don't want to contribute a single penny to this corrupt, arrogant broken league.

Give me the Championship anyday.

Last edited:
You can compete on a budget - Luton are doing just that. But it requires solid long term planning, time, patience, an owner with vision and everybody being on the same page (staff and fans). None if this is happening at the Lane at the moment.

The whole point of being a successful Championship club is that you eventually get to the Premier League. I don't want to finish 8th or 10th every year. I want us to go up and have a bash at staying up. If that means going back to the drawing board and figuring out how we can do that within our budget over a period of 2 or 3 seasons then fine.

But it's hard to plan when you've got an owner who doesn't want to be here in 2 or 3 seasons. He's stifling us.

Well it's a fact its no fun in the Premier League!

You can compete on a budget - Luton are doing just that. But it requires solid long term planning, time, patience, an owner with vision and everybody being on the same page (staff and fans). None if this is happening at the Lane at the moment.

The whole point of being a successful Championship club is that you eventually get to the Premier League. I don't want to finish 8th or 10th every year. I want us to go up and have a bash at staying up. If that means going back to the drawing board and figuring out how we can do that within our budget over a period of 2 or 3 seasons then fine.

But it's hard to plan when you've got an owner who doesn't want to be here in 2 or 3 seasons. He's stifling us.
Forest and Luton took gambles on signing players on one year contracts. We didn't. Why budget £10k per week for a three year contract when you could sign a player on £30k per week for one year. Who knows, the quality they bring might end up seeing you stay up and you can offer them a longer deal the following summer. Our approach is so defeatist with a small club mentality.

Losing and being shit in any league is crap, this is just like the season of Adams etc when we got relegated.
It's funny when people say the time under Adkins was the worst. At least we won and drew some games under Adkins. The relegation under Blackwell/Speed/Adams was far worse. Watching Nosworthy play every week and **** up time after time after time keeps coming back to mind everytime I see Anel play this season. This season is worse than the relegation to League One. Watching players pour out of the ground after 20 minutes is testament to how low we've sunk.

The crowd have been supportive up until now and remained behind the team. Yesterday was the final straw and Bramall Lane will see more walk outs and the atmosphere will turn nasty before the end of the season.

The championship is more in line with the traditional English game of football. The premier league is depressing in its entirety trying to compete with the cash rich clubs like Man City and Chelsea types. Throw in VAR then it becomes a league of hairline dispute and controversy. The Prem is a manipulated ego clad clique who see the newly promoted clubs as whipping boys.

Back at club level, I can’t understand why the Blades owner & board think its ok NOT to spend sufficiently enough to at least compete.
The EFL is more entertaining in my view without the bent bastards of VAR. The Premier league would be better off with the big 6 fucking off into a European Super league and take VAR with them.Why didn’t the premier league ban these clubs in the first place?

Because its corrupt that’s why.

If you have 10 out field players with no skill, technique and composure you will suffer in top league.
Unfortunately we have this issue.

Shame really but they may do ok in the Championship just hope when we go down we don’t come straight back up.

We need to rebuild with a new owner and director of football and dare I say it a new manager.

Our support ambitions match our owners then
Next years poll - is it more fun in League 1 than the championship

I voted yes but that’s because we haven’t invested enough to be competitive. Without the ambition to be better it will be more fun in the championship as it’s more fun watching your team win more often.

It’s hard to say. Obviously the aim is to play at the highest level and try and do as well as possible otherwise what is the point in trying to build something.

On the other hand however, the gap between teams like us and 75% of the Premier League is now so big, that without a billionaire walking through the door no matter how well we plan we’ll always have to endure games with 20% possession and 0 shots against the top sides. The gap between the top half sides and bottom 5 has grown even more since 2020, and even when you look at sides like Chelsea and Man U having their ‘worst season in a generation’ they both still beat us easily, Chelsea in particular.

Watching us win games and compete is obviously more fun, but if we don’t want to get promoted at the end what’s the point in winning them?

All in all modern football is a bit shit really isn’t it?

Even the start of the 19 - 20 season when it legitimately looked like we might be a top end premier league side, it still wasn’t as fun as the promotion season the year before.

Championship all day long for me. Far more interesting clubs, more competitive & no fucking VAR.

The last time we were in the Championship we did just about as well as possible (except for winning the thing), and it was still crap.

This mess isn't even about what division we're in.

there is no such thing as a successful championship team only recently relegated premier league tams as west brom, hull, watford, middlesborough, cardiff, reading, swansea, QPR & stoke will testify

It's funny when people say the time under Adkins was the worst. At least we won and drew some games under Adkins. The relegation under Blackwell/Speed/Adams was far worse. Watching Nosworthy play every week and **** up time after time after time keeps coming back to mind everytime I see Anel play this season. This season is worse than the relegation to League One. Watching players pour out of the ground after 20 minutes is testament to how low we've sunk.

The crowd have been supportive up until now and remained behind the team. Yesterday was the final straw and Bramall Lane will see more walk outs and the atmosphere will turn nasty before the end of the season.

To me it’s not even close, this season is far worse than the 10-11 relegation to League One season. The stats even back it up, we still won 11 games or 23%, which would be 8 games in a 38 game Premier League season.

It felt like we were in a relegation battle and could’ve stayed up in 10-11, but compared to this season, we’ve been down since before Christmas. The laughable part is that it’s not just us Burnley are only 3 points above us.

The Premier League is completely uncompetitive, in my opinion they need to do something to address that. But they won’t because the money keep rolling in and no one cares whilst the product is still being sold on a global scale.

To me it’s not even close, this season is far worse than the 10-11 relegation to League One season. The stats even back it up, we still won 11 games or 23%, which would be 8 games in a 38 game Premier League season.

It felt like we were in a relegation battle and could’ve stayed up in 10-11, but compared to this season, we’ve been down since before Christmas. The laughable part is that it’s not just us Burnley are only 3 points above us.

The Premier League is completely uncompetitive, in my opinion they need to do something to address that. But they won’t because the money keep rolling in and no one cares whilst the product is still being sold on a global scale.
And those 3 points they earned hammering us.

Question - Could a club turn down promotion and ask to say I'm championship, they would have earned the right to ?

Last edited:
The championship is more in line with the traditional English game of football. The premier league is depressing in its entirety trying to compete with the cash rich clubs like Man City and Chelsea types. Throw in VAR then it becomes a league of hairline dispute and controversy. The Prem is a manipulated ego clad clique who see the newly promoted clubs as whipping boys.

Back at club level, I can’t understand why the Blades owner & board think its ok NOT to spend sufficiently enough to at least compete.
The EFL is more entertaining in my view without the bent bastards of VAR. The Premier league would be better off with the big 6 fucking off into a European Super league and take VAR with them.Why didn’t the premier league ban these clubs in the first place?

Because its corrupt that’s why.
The championship is entirely more enjoyable as a whole. I rarely watch any Premier league games aside from us and that isn’t because we are shit. It’s because it’s pretty boring, overhyped, manufactured and far less entertaining than the championship.

Even yesterday with Villa 5 up, their players still couldn’t resist chucking themselves on the floor at the slightest sniff of a challenge and feigning injury to waste time.

In our first ‘wilder’ prem season, he said it’s as much our league as it is Man City’s, Liverpool’s etc. The truth is, it really isn’t. Nobody cares about the teams that come up unless they have some sort of narrative. Overlapping centre backs, plucky Luton. Once that novelty wears off and they start losing again - be it this season or next - nobody will give a fuck again.

Championship football is crap. Try watching it when you are a neutral and it's painful outside a few good players.

The pre covid season in the premier league was way more entertaining than any of the promotions!

More games, more wins, no VAR, more changeable season to season

It is undoubtedly more interesting

Being around the top competing for promotion, seeing something develop, seeing something being built. That's where I prefer to be

But even last season was underwhelming. Football is underwhelming full stop. At least after you've kind of been there and done it as we have...... without ever actually winning anything of course, because you understand that's impossible

For me it’s a combination of things but most importantly style of play

I think the Championship as a structure is more exciting, you have the golden ticket of promotion, the playoffs which let’s be honest are one of the best things about English football and the standard of football has been getting better imo over the last decade or so

But ultimately for me it’s about style of play, If we want to establish ourselves as a premier league team and let’s be honest here, more than likely be nothing more than an Everton or Palace, staying up and hoping for a good cup run etc etc

If that’s the aim then I want us to be getting the ball down and playing football, ideally with a structure where kids are coming through etc etc. If the alternative to that is years of being a Stoke/Wimbledon/us under Harry or a Luton this season, 10 years of that , no thanks, not for me, in that scenario I would rather play in championship than watch that

Tbf we say yes..... but let's not pretend that when we were 6th in the prem in 2019-2020 we all didn't think the prem was more fun.... I think it's just fun when you're successful.... like if you ask a Luton town fan I am sure they are having a lot of fun this season. We're just slightly pathetic and embarrassing.

Championship football is crap. Try watching it when you are a neutral and it's painful outside a few good players.

The pre covid season in the premier league was way more entertaining than any of the promotions!
Rubbish, it's a fantastic league. Unpredictable, exciting and competitive - far better than the Premier league shitshow.

Rubbish, it's a fantastic league. Unpredictable, exciting and competitive - far better than the Premier league shitshow.
Watch a game with nothing on it via red button with two clubs you have no strong opinion on. It's not exciting whatsoever. It's unpredictable in the sense that most sides have weaknesses but I wouldn't say there's often a style of play, player or club I wanna see more of in that league.

I'm not sure if mid to lower Championship clubs would view it as more exciting. Most seasons are now dominated by runaway teams with parachute payments.

The likes of Stoke, Blackburn, Swansea Birmingham are marooned where they are. Find a couple of youth prospects or progressive young signings, to give hope of a play off challenge, and the next transfer window sees them on their way.

I really can't see our fan base settling for such mediocrity any more than we did when Adrian Heath was in charge.

If we let Wilder do the rebuild next season in the Championship will be anything but fun.

Back
Top Bottom