Higdon today

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

What's wrong with the van? Perhaps you should trade it in for a better one?

It;s a big lump of a van, slow off the mark, not very manouvable. It can do a job, but perhaps a bit out of it's depth at the level of delivery I do. Hoping that if the finances in place I'll be able to get something a bit quicker to deliver the goods, hopefully by midnight tomorrow... A Sprinter maybe??

We weren't close to any of the fouls the ref gave against him, but all looked like nothing challenges with minimal contact and lots of throwing themselves over and rolling around. I'm sure there was one where he was in possession of the ball and one of theirs ran into him full pelt, launched himself 10 yards and gave out a very unmanly scream (possibly the one when the ref called Beard over for a word).

It looked like the booking was for persistent fouling, which appeared to be persistent crap refereeing, so I thought he was unlucky up to that point. Their short goal kicks in an attempt to draw another foul and #2 (I think) play acting for five minutes forcing the sub is one of the most unsporting things I've ever seen.

I thought Wednesday night and yesterday was about the best we've seen from Higdon, more effort, better control and lay offs (perhaps aided by better service) and actually looking like he wanted to be there and get involved. I was hoping yesterday was going to be a turning point and was so disappointed for him when he had to come off (definitely the right decision by the management).

I also thought the reaction of the crowd at each incident and the sub suggested most people saw it the same way I did, but the comments on here suggest otherwise.

Didn't I see a standing ovation when he was subbed? Not necessarily for his performance, I suspect, but people realised Clough had no choice but to sub him or Swindon would have got him sent off. Obviously in MHO. I thought he did OK yesterday.

I also thought the reaction of the crowd at each incident and the sub suggested most people saw it the same way I did, but the comments on here suggest otherwise.

Agree totally. I think some of the comments on here slating Higdon are from people who didn't go yesterday

Agree totally. I think some of the comments on here slating Higdon are from people who didn't go yesterday
Sorry to disappoint but I was there yesterday and Higdon simply isn't fit (in more ways than One) to wear our shirt and before you start banging on about how well played against Tottenham and Preston let me just remind you that's is job. He wasn't that good it was just marginally better than his previous shocking performances

Sorry to disappoint but I was there yesterday and Higdon simply isn't fit (in more ways than One) to wear our shirt and before you start banging on about how well played against Tottenham and Preston let me just remind you that's is job. He wasn't that good it was just marginally better than his previous shocking performances

So good performances don't count then ? That's a new one.

Sometimes people who go to games are so blinded by their hatred/dislike of a player they cannot be objective about that player's performance.

Some fans just love a scapegoat

Sometimes people who go to games are so blinded by their hatred/dislike of a player they cannot be objective about that player's performance.

I didn't say they were good performances I said they were a slight improvement on the shit ones before it

On then project his qualities onto this board. Im listening for one.

On then project his qualities onto this board. Im listening for one.
Over the last three games ?

Held the ball up well(better than MvNulty has ever done). Linked the play and brought others into the game and provided a physical presence against centre halfs when previously they have had an easier ride.

If Higdon had shown these qualitieson a regular basis before the last 3 games he would have made more first team starts

I didn't say they were good performances I said they were a slight improvement on the shit ones before it
So you dislike the guy that much that you can't acknowledge when he has played well ? Quite bizarre if that is the case.

So you dislike the guy that much that you can't acknowledge when he has played well ? Quite bizarre if that is the case.
I don't dislike the man don't hate the man and it's nothing personal towards him. He might be a real nice guy. He might clear the snow from his neighbours drives and do the shopping for the elderly in his community. That's all fantastic but what I don't like is the lazy, clumsy, lethargic, disinterested attitude he seems to have regarding playing for my club. Why do I have to agree with what you think anyway. Have ever considered you are wrong about this nice guy.

I felt sorry for him as well yesterday, they played on him to get him booked, then every challenge seemed like he could go with them overreacting and hounding the ref, the one in front of the dug out from my view I thought he was a goner...

I do believe it was a deliberate attempt by them to get him sent off, in my book that's cheating, and tbh I think had they left him alone they'd have not lost yesterday because they didn't want to kick the ball out and wanted to roll it out, higdon couldn't chase down or pressure the defender as murphy did when he came on, I think those tactics in removing higdon were a double whammy to swindon, not only did they manage to bring on a player who's bang on form,.he also stopped them playing how that wanted too, their manager can moan all he likes about the ref, they brought it on themselves by winding us up..

I felt sorry for him as well yesterday, they played on him to get him booked, then every challenge seemed like he could go with them overreacting and hounding the ref, the one in front of the dug out from my view I thought he was a goner...

I do believe it was a deliberate attempt by them to get him sent off, in my book that's cheating, and tbh I think had they left him alone they'd have not lost yesterday because they didn't want to kick the ball out and wanted to roll it out, higdon couldn't chase down or pressure the defender as murphy did when he came on, I think those tactics in removing higdon were a double whammy to swindon, not only did they manage to bring on a player who's bang on form,.he also stopped them playing how that wanted too, their manager can moan all he likes about the ref, they brought it on themselves by winding us up..

If the opposition go out deliberately to get a player sent off , they must see him as a threat . Perhaps other managers see something in Higdon we don't .

Worked in our favour yesterday , for Mr Clough plan B.

UTB

I don't dislike the man don't hate the man and it's nothing personal towards him. He might be a real nice guy. He might clear the snow from his neighbours drives and do the shopping for the elderly in his community. That's all fantastic but what I don't like is the lazy, clumsy, lethargic, disinterested attitude he seems to have regarding playing for my club. Why do I have to agree with what you think anyway. Have ever considered you are wrong about this nice guy.
why do I have to agree with you? Ever thought you might be wrong ?You obviously know I was talking about your dislike for him as a footballer . I have not seen the disinterested lethargic footballer you describe. He has limited ability but all I have seen is a player who tries his best when on the pitch . I am not his biggest fan but at least myself and others can acknowledge when he plays well.

This is a forum for debate and people will disagree with each other. You will also see people challenge non constructive view points(see the Diego leaving thread )

No one is asking for everyone to agree but the beauty of this forum is you can challenge other people's viewpoints which will then widen a debate.

why do I have to agree with you? Ever thought you might be wrong ?You obviously know I was talking about your dislike for him as a footballer . I have not seen the disinterested lethargic footballer you describe. He has limited ability but all I have seen is a player who tries his best when on the pitch . I am not his biggest fan but at least myself and others can acknowledge when he plays well.

This is a forum for debate and people will disagree with each other. You will also see people challenge non constructive view points(see the Diego leaving thread )

No one is asking for everyone to agree but the beauty of this forum is you can challenge other people's viewpoints which will then widen a debate.
Will have to agree to disagree on this then. UTB

You can tell that a team hasn't done their homework when they try and get Higdon sent off......

He really needs to sort his fitness out. I can understand him arriving unfit, but he's hardly made progress at getting in trim.

You can tell that a team hasn't done their homework when they try and get Higdon sent off......

He really needs to sort his fitness out. I can understand him arriving unfit, but he's hardly made progress at getting in trim.

The thing is , the opposition will have done there homework on all the blades players .Difference is , they saw him as a threat , whereas the majority of us supporters don't.

UTB

Someone compared him to the Chief, and I think that's fair. Allison was slow and lumbering. but gave us an option from the bench and eventually became a cult hero. Higdon is better that Porter, who also became a cult hero and wasn't subject to half the abuse Higdon is getting. Granted we played in a different way when Allison was in the team, but why should other limited strikers become heroes and Higdon become the target of abuse?

The Chief gave his all. He as also several years older than Higdon. We're in a different era. Look at Lambert. He's smartened himself up and put in a shift every game now.

Exactly my point.

Even in L1, it is the FOOTBALLING sides who are doing the best.

Old school thinking is that you have to kick and punch your way out of this league. You don't.

IMHO.

Not saying for one moment that strength, speed stamina etc. etc. are not all vital parts of any squad in any league in the world.

I will happily concede that my footballing "principles" are nearer to those of Wenger than Allardycye.

Doesn't mean big Sam is wrong btw. BUT even he has had a change of heart in last few years.

There are others ( Holloway springs to mind) who have had to roll with the times.

There are FAR TOO MANY blades fans that advocate this up and at em football.

IMHO.

UTB
I think Dons, Preston and Swindon have looked very good at kicking and fighting their way out of this league.

Swindon were clearly trying to get Higdon sent off - and with such a shocking ref they nearly succeeded. But how stupid was Higdon to continue getting involved in silly challenges? I'm not saying they were fouls but everyone knew their players were reacting to everything he did - so he just needed to keep out of trouble - but didn't.

I was so relieved when he was subbed - I would have done it earlier.

As it turned out it swung the game - as match winner Murphy came on and was superb once again.

I think the great thing about these arguments are people slagging him off for being lazy but also slagging him off for putting himself about and challenging the defenders.

I also felt sorry for him yesterday. He linked up play well, won a few headers and was having a decent game but was victim of a referee being absolutely terrible. It was the right move to take him off and bring Murphy on, but that was an hour of football Clough didn't really want Murphy to play yesterday. He won us the game and was fantastic, but it probably means he'll be rested either Tuesday night or down at Gillingham on Saturday.

The point that Higdon being replaced helped us by bringing on the player who changed the match sort of makes the point for me. At every level of football you need a variety to blend. The Bobbins obviously didn't fancy him holding the ball up, having seen the impact he made against Spurs and set out to disrupt it. I think he could be a bit fitter, but absolutely there is a place for him in the squad to allow a suitable change of tactics.

i actually thought against Tottenham he did look fitter and had lost some weight. The fact is some people are just naturally big. Not just football but in every walk of life.i remember an interview with the cricketer rob key who was a rotund lad and he said he was always in the top 3 on the bleep test for fitness. Fat doesn't equal unfit. Different things.

i actually thought against Tottenham he did look fitter and had lost some weight. The fact is some people are just naturally big. Not just football but in every walk of life.i remember an interview with the cricketer rob key who was a rotund lad and he said he was always in the top 3 on the bleep test for fitness. Fat doesn't equal unfit. Different things.

Nathan Blake was no slim-jim and he didn't do too bad.

Cooke wants him at Ches Vegas.

Clough wants Doyle.

FFS get it done. I know precious little about Doyle. But FFS get it done and offload the twat.

As bad a signing as UTD have made in at least a decade. Remarkable he has managed thus far to forge any sort of career as a pro footballer. Gobsmacked that NC has signed this complete waste of space.

You were warned (at the beginning of August btw) ;)

UTB
A bit harsh?

I think Rob Key was telling porkies as well as eating them. Not only is he a chubber, he also smoked through most of his career. :)

Back
Top Bottom