David McGoldrick for captain next season?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Tony Currie

Reaction score
With Billy not playing much McGoldrick should be given the armband.

Wants to play for United, leaves everything on the pitch and talks in a mature way.

Certainly leads by example but not sure if he's "vocal" enough to be captain. I'd want it to be Egan if he's still around but should he go I'd have no problem giving it didzy

I love Didzy to bits, easily the player of the season for me. But he also has to take his share of the blame for this debacle...In a season of few chances, he has also missed some absolute sitters this season.
So I’d be happy for the new manager to make that call.

Not for me. He needs to focus on showing that at 33 he has another good season in him. He shows some flashes of real skill but he does tend to slow attacks down too much at times and his finishing is generally poor. Not vocal enough to be captain either.

Not for me either. He’s had a decent season but I can’t abide his lack of ability to see people in better positions and his shooting from distance when said people are better placed. Terrible ball control too. Not vocal enough as has already been said too. Better people for the role of captain for me.

He's not a captain we need tbh:

1. Not vocal
2. Not the kind of player who takes on that responsibility on the pitch
3. 33. Likely to be starting less and less
4. Last season. We need someone who can be captain for more than one season

We need to bring someone in with captain qualities.

Sorry, no - never ever captain material. McG is a lovely footballer and IF he plays then just let him play. I doubt he would be an ever present in a 46 game championship season.

I doubt John Egan (my PotS by a country mile) will be with us next season, but if he is then he's nailed on for the skippers role (IMHO).

UTB

Good of y’all to be writing the current skipper off.

Again !

Maybe this year, at long long last, you might just get it right 😂😉.

UTB

Looks like we need to drag another Season out of Didsy, I wouldn't load anymore responsibility on his shoulders

Egan for me, let Didsy do his thing freestyle

Is John Egan really vocal?

I can't recall many instances.

In fact I can't think of many of our players being vocal. Possibly George.

Wants to play for United, leaves everything on the pitch and talks in a mature way.

But is he a leader of men on the park? Probably not, and I'm of the mindset your captain needs to be centre half or centre mid, not a forward.

Not for me either. He’s had a decent season but I can’t abide his lack of ability to see people in better positions and his shooting from distance when said people are better placed. Terrible ball control too. Not vocal enough as has already been said too. Better people for the role of captain for me.
Terrible ball control 🙄
Hes technically the best ball player at the club

I'd 100% have didsy as a coach once he retires, he oozes class and is a clever player, one of the best at the lane for the last 10/15 years

571E75DB-7CAB-42BE-9012-81C6B970B6B5.gif

The man is a god and can do no wrong in my eyes. A pleasure to watch and the one source of enjoyment in a terrible terrible season.
The players all clearly respect and look up to him and he’s a positive force within the club.
Always speaks well of the club and you can tell he appreciates the support from the fans and understands what it means to wear the red n white stripes.
I understand he was instrumental in the taking of the knee before the first game back after lockdown so he clearly can be a good leader.
Whether he’s captain or not, a good experienced pro like Didzy will always set a good example and be a good influence on the younger players around him.
You can tell how grateful he is for the opportunities SUFC have given him towards the latter stages of his career.
The fact that some fans are critical of inconsistencies within his play, highlight the blind spot a lot of Blades have when it comes to judging creative, flair players.
Hope to see him starting with Rhian next season as he could be key in unlocking the kid’s potential.

Wow,some rose tinted glasses on here. Mcgoldricks served us well but as for starting next season : not for me. Possibly coaching role? . As for his all round play : nah, some nice touches but he needs 3 touches before he passes and then doesn't always find his man, his first time flicks are a substitute for not holding or shielding the ball and if that's the way to play he needs pace for a return or through ball which unfortunately he no longer has . Very lightweight in the air which is not his fort'e. Probably not a popular reply but reality has to be faced up to.

The enigma of McGoldrick was perfectly demonstrated in a 10 second spell against Wolves - did an incredible shimmy on the near touchline to turn away from his marker and then kicked the ball out of play as he broke free. I’ve said before that we play better with him in the team and that remains the case but he frustrates the hell out of me at times.

I say give it Brewster, he needs to have a reason for being on the pitch afterall!

Our brand new midfield will have at least one potential captain in it.

It's a no from me.
He once called my uncle Susan a cock sneffling little shaft banger. Then smashed his porcelain shire horse that had been in the family for generations.
Not the kind of person I want representing my club.

If by some miracle, we manage to keep Jack O’Connell. He could have the drive and authority to boss the Blades on to another promotion season.

Doesn’t sit well with me that vice-captaincy was taken from Norwood after we finished 9th. His performance has significantly dropped since then, don’t think Egan needed the extra responsibility to perform and be a leader. Seems like another needless thing in the summer that may have messed with the dynamic. Didzy does his job well and is clearly a good mentor for the younger strikers, no need to change it again

Sorry, no - never ever captain material. McG is a lovely footballer and IF he plays then just let him play. I doubt he would be an ever present in a 46 game championship season.

I doubt John Egan (my PotS by a country mile) will be with us next season, but if he is then he's nailed on for the skippers role (IMHO).

UTB
Billy Sharp is captain , I dont think he's going anywhere.
He will score goals in the championship

I’m not saying he’s a bad player Slug, just his first touch can be awful. Once he has the ball he can produce some lovely skill but his control in receiving the ball can be awful. I stand by my view he isn’t captain material.
Sorry mate, maybe the gif was a little harsh but i only meant it lightheartedly.
I agree that I don’t see Didsy as captain material but I personally think he has one of the best first touches i have seen at the lane in recent years.
Crazy how we all see things differently but everyone entitled to their opinion pal! UTB ⚔️

Billy Sharp is captain , I dont think he's going anywhere.
He will score goals in the championship
I see the annual write off of Billy Sharp has started already!

Billy to the Championship in terms of Strikers is what Warnock is to Managers.

As long as he's not injured he has to be under consideration.

The Championship is a slog and you dismiss experienced players like Sharp and McGoldrick at your peril.

We should look to eek every last drop out of those two. For all the money we've spunked in that general direction on McBurnie, Brewster, Mousset and Burke; 55m? They are still the most likely guys to get you a goal.

Back
Top Bottom