Coutts

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Still think people are being a bit harsh on Coutts,and to early to be writing him off for me.
I missed Saturday through work,but from the games I've seen him,he's looked ok.What is he..eleven games in after a bad injury...I think there's a lot more to come yet...and I've not seen him give the ball away that much tbh..looks comfortable in possesion,moves it quickly,albeit sideways,but it gets us moving..always shows for the ball and gets up in support around the opposition box.
Nothing against Doyle,but I much prefer Coutts in the deep role as he's already passed the ball in the time Doyle would be getting the ball under control...it's not spectacular,but effective in getting us moving the other way.

I'm pretty sold on the notion that he's just not right for right now. You can see he's got class but he isn't ready. Albeit in terms of youth rather than fitness, Che Adams and Kieran Wallace fall in to that category too. My only gripe with Clough (still has my total backing) is his persistence / faith in some players and not others.

No. A scapegoat is somebody who's face doesn't fit. Someone who gets groaned at every time they play a misplaced ball. Someone who is greeted with sarcastic comments when they play a good one. Someone that's laughed at when he has a wayward shot.

Best post EVER.

Just as a matter of interest where do you get this bogus definition from?
A scapegoat is someone who takes the blame for something they haven't done (an "I'm Spartacus" sort of thing). That's it, the dictionary definition of the word. How do you go from that to your "meaning"?
Judging by the complete, and regular, miss-use of the word on here I suspect you are not alone in this error but I am very curious as to where this has come from.

To the issue at hand, I think Alco has it spot on when the comparison with Murphy is made. Murphy was indeed ripped into constantly until Clough arrived and he improved beyond recognition. He has now "earned" the right to have a game or two below his best. Coutts has not got anywhere near that right yes as he hasn't had a game of any distinction so far (certainly not in the ones I've seen).

3) Directs traffic - for me that's often an indicator of someone lacking physical involvement in a game (Brian Howard, James Harper, Paul Thirlwell
Some players can pass, shoot, tackle, dribble, head, cross, even do tricks (I still miss Peter Ndlovu).

Thirlwell could point.

All I can suggest is that Clough is giving him an extended run in the side to show faith in him, boost his confidence, and in turn is hoping/planning that the pre-injury Coutts will emerge. I think this is how the all conquering Australian cricket team got going on the 90s. They put players in the team and stuck with them, regardless. They took time to gel and there were outsiders who were playing much better (Lehmann? Someone who knows more about cricket can probably name a few).

Not advocating it in Coutts's case just suggesting a possible rationale.

I'm pretty sold on the notion that he's just not right for right now. You can see he's got class but he isn't ready. Albeit in terms of youth rather than fitness, Che Adams and Kieran Wallace fall in to that category too. My only gripe with Clough (still has my total backing) is his persistence / faith in some players and not others.

Why?

To be fair I agree with TA here.

When seeing him for the first time, against Swindon, I thought there looked to be a player inside but well short of match fitness. He hasn't sharpened up as I expected so has been very disappointing but I saw definite signs in that first viewing.

To be fair I agree with TA here.

When seeing him for the first time, against Swindon, I thought there looked to be a player inside but well short of match fitness. He hasn't sharpened up as I expected so has been very disappointing but I saw definite signs in that first viewing.
What's frustrating for me is that he's being afforded so much more opportunity to prove himself when other players throughout this season have only ever been 30 minutes away from getting benched.

Well, he strikes me as confident in possession and shown capability driving forward with the ball at his feet. He's also shown for his previous clubs that he's certainly a "footballer" (as in he's more of a Kevin MacDonald than a Nick Montgomery).
I agree - I predict he'll be a big player for us next season but he doesn't look ready to me at the moment. As I'm sure would also be the case with J Wallace, should he be able to stay free from injury for long enough to come into contention, I'd imagine it would be extremely difficult, if not impossible, for someone out injured for so long to achieve match fitness and be able to make a difference at this time of the season.

Well, he strikes me as confident in possession and shown capability driving forward with the ball at his feet.

In message board terms, I am genuinely stunned.

His all round game has been poor. But his ability to drive forward has been totally woeful, the weakest part of his game. His inability to even try to do this is my biggest frustration with him.

UTB

Well, he strikes me as confident in possession and shown capability driving forward with the ball at his feet. He's also shown for his previous clubs that he's certainly a "footballer" (as in he's more of a Kevin MacDonald than a Nick Montgomery).

Thats fair enough mate, I just dont see it. I also think a lot of fans are blinded by his reputation at previous clubs (not saying you're one of them) but when I first saw him play, I saw him bring a an easy flighted ball down and could hear people around me saying things like "oh you can see he is a proper footballer" etc

I was thinking, eh? He has done nothing I would not expect of a sunday league player. Snce that, his shooting has been abysmal, his passing woeful and his fitness embarassing.

Best post EVER.

Just as a matter of interest where do you get this bogus definition from?
A scapegoat is someone who takes the blame for something they haven't done (an "I'm Spartacus" sort of thing). That's it, the dictionary definition of the word. How do you go from that to your "meaning"?
Judging by the complete, and regular, miss-use of the word on here I suspect you are not alone in this error but I am very curious as to where this has come from.

To the issue at hand, I think Alco has it spot on when the comparison with Murphy is made. Murphy was indeed ripped into constantly until Clough arrived and he improved beyond recognition. He has now "earned" the right to have a game or two below his best. Coutts has not got anywhere near that right yes as he hasn't had a game of any distinction so far (certainly not in the ones I've seen).

As well as Murphy, Flynn is another that was always blamed for going backwards every time he got in a good position, since Cloughs arrival he has improved beyond recognition.

Hopefully there is a good player inside Coutts cause it ain't showing yet, can we afford to wait? Who knows.

On the plus side he arrived with Freeman who I think has been outstanding.

Thats fair enough mate, I just dont see it. I also think a lot of fans are blinded by his reputation at previous clubs (not saying you're one of them) but when I first saw him play, I saw him bring a an easy flighted ball down and could hear people around me saying things like "oh you can see he is a proper footballer" etc

I was thinking, eh? He has done nothing I would not expect of a sunday league player. Snce that, his shooting has been abysmal, his passing woeful and his fitness embarassing.

His all round game has been poor. But his ability to drive forward has been totally woeful, the weakest part of his game. His inability to even try to do this is my biggest frustration with him.

UTB
Have you read my previous posts about him? I'm in agreement that he certainly shouldn't be a first-choice at the moment, but I wouldn't write him off, that's all. I gave my very short list of reasons why and one of those was that he has shown, on very few occasions, that he can carry the ball well. He's also shown that he can lose it and not have the capacity to regain it, but I'm hoping this is down to a lack of fitness and first-team football. Again, for the good of SUFC, now is not the time for him to be working on that on the pitch.

UTB

I think its fair to say that he has been a part of one of the the least effective midfields in the Division this season, in which none of our midfield players have demonstrated any consistency and have poorly supported both the forwards and defence.

That said, I would still pick him before Doyle, Scougal, Wallace (K) and Baxter, even on present form.
UTB & FTP

Have you read my previous posts about him? I'm in agreement that he certainly shouldn't be a first-choice at the moment, but I wouldn't write him off, that's all. I gave my very short list of reasons why and one of those was that he has shown, on very few occasions, that he can carry the ball well. He's also shown that he can lose it and not have the capacity to regain it, but I'm hoping this is down to a lack of fitness and first-team football. Again, for the good of SUFC, now is not the time for him to be working on that on the pitch.
I'm not writing him off fella. Clough sees something and he might be right. I'd dispute that he's done anything other than weaken us wityh his presnet form, and right now he's stealing a shirt. Given our precarious position, I think it's the wrong time to give him an extended run just to see if there's anything there or not.

UTB

I'm not writing him off fella. Clough sees something and he might be right. I'd dispute that he's done anything other than weaken us wityh his presnet form, and right now he's stealing a shirt. Given our precarious position, I think it's the wrong time to give him an extended run just to see if there's anything there or not.

UTB
What I said! :D

That said, I would still pick him before Doyle, Scougal, Wallace (K) and Baxter, even on present form.
UTB & FTP

Doyle has been head and shoulders above anything Coutts has done. I've been critical of both Scougal and Baxter this season, but I could tell you a few attributes they all have that really add to the team, albeit countered by weaknesses. Coutts has just been piss poor, in every aspect of his game.

UTB

Have I misread this then;

"Well, he strikes me as confident in possession and shown capability driving forward with the ball at his feet." ? :)

UTB
That was my post where I was asked for my reasons why I wouldn't write him off.

But it was the post I was replying to! :p

UTB
:D Ok, to clear up, we both don't think he should be playing, neither of us are writing him off and I've given some brief reasons why I'm not writing him off (after I was asked by Jehovah ).

Say what you like, he seems to be getting better to me. Some balls are dodgy but you see the good ones are starting to come more frequently , I think he played well today ay Barnsley. Best game for us when it counts. Onward and upwards.........

Say what you like, he seems to be getting better to me. Some balls are dodgy but you see the good ones are starting to come more frequently , I think he played well today ay Barnsley. Best game for us when it counts. Onward and upwards.........

Let us hope so. Doe Basham's energy give him the right platform? The problem all the way through this season is finding the right balance in the midfield 3. Obviously the problem then is in the back 4, however maybe we just rotate in McEverley when Kennedy can't play instead of moving Basham back.

Yer - have not been too impressed with both Cutts or Holt, but a few regular starts for both of them has seen a marked improvement, 3 goals in 3 for Holt and Cutts is looking better, wish Cutts would do a bit more work in getting forward but played well today, let's hope it is a sign of better things to come over the next few weeks and into the play-offs!?

Yer - have not been too impressed with both Cutts or Holt, but a few regular starts for both of them has seen a marked improvement, 3 goals in 3 for Holt and Cutts is looking better, wish Cutts would do a bit more work in getting forward but played well today, let's hope it is a sign of better things to come over the next few weeks and into the play-offs!?
Ah that new midfielder.

Back
Top Bottom