Clough's cronies

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Yet Davies was supein the stand

b when he came on last Tuesday !
Agreed he was awful yesterday

Most of the players were poor today including Murphy yet no one seems to be pointing the finger at him !
Davies along with others who have been warming the bench or sitting I

Go on then give me your insightful input. Why has he got rid of Collins and Butler ? If they were good enough would he not play them even at the expense of United ,to make us lose ? to get himself sacked ? tell me your thought process as to why he would not play them because Im fucked if I can think through it.
Correct! If Davie Blade or any other conspiracy theorist can rationalise to me why Clough, or any other manager would ditch a player to the detriment of his team is way beyond me.
He doesn't rate Collins anymore, and may not have been too fussed last season either. Butler, a mistake, all managers make them, he rectified it quickly. McCarthy, did a steady enough job but circumstances deemed he wasn't coming here permanent.
These are managers opinions, they live and die by them. The fact that fans may not agree doesn't warrant all the shit that's been levelled at Clough as a result.
As for Butlerenbauer, a premier league scout I know well, watched Donny the other week against Bristol C. He also happens to be a Blade and whilst there for other reasons, took particular note of Butlers offerings.
His verdict, he was shite, gave away goals, got turned more than a roundabout, and ended up losing his head to the detriment of the team.
We had a narrow escape there!

Correct! If Davie Blade or any other conspiracy theorist can rationalise to me why Clough, or any other manager would ditch a player to the detriment of his team is way beyond me.

Personally I have no problem with getting rid of players who aren't up to it (apart from the obvious waste of money if you just bought them and the obvious deficiencies exposed in the scouting of players).

The more salient question is, after starting the season with 5 centre halves,whether anyone can rationalise why Clough or any other manager would get get rid of them all bar one (Kennedy), not get any replacements in and end up playing fullbacks and a midfielder in central defence to the detriment of the team. Its beyond me.

[QUOTE="But that misses the point which is that it was NC who was responsible for managing a situation which went toxic and resulted in the 2 most experienced centre halves after the HM transfer being sidelined, which was clearly not in the overall best interests of the club long term. Both of the individuals involved have not been known as troublemakers during their long careers. Indeed they have been described as model professionals by various sources. Neither have been replaced by NC - putting the club down by 3 experienced centre halves since the summer and reducing us to the position of having to play players out of position in central defence throughout the season. Whatever spin on is put on the Butlergate thing NC's management of the situation and the (lack of) effective remedies for the consequences for Sheffield United afterwards is, at the very least, questionable.

Spot on Cyprus. We don't know what went off with NC and Collins and Butler, and as the manager he has every right to decide who he wants to play for the club. However, as a manager NC has managed a situation where we had 5 centre halves on the books at the start of the season, two of these have been sold, two have been sent out on loan, resulting in a situation where SUFC have only one centre half at the club, Terry Kennedy, who has played less than 15 league games in his career. NC should be hold to account for the fact that he has assembled a squad of 41 players, and we only have one centre half who (although a great prospect) has only made 15 league appearances.[/QUOTE]

Whilst the manager rightly decides who plays and who we sign and keep I have to take you to task over the statement 'he has every right'.

His first and only right is to serve the employer in the best way for their outcome not his personal outcome.

Perhaps that would give us a better season?

I'm not sure about the fall outs but if it's true then the management must know about it.

If true then someone should have sat Nigel down and explained that the club MUST come first and that he needs to sort it.

Based on past performance of the board I wouldn't bet against this not having happened if it was required?

Thank Pele I've had a voluntary break from this sort of drivel.....

What a difference a game makes. I thought he controlled the game for us against Barnsley and to me, although he hasn't played great so far, he's already shown that he has the quality to show this more often, just like he did at a Championship club before his injury. It's still early days in his Blades career, lets give the lad a chance eh. I'm talking about Coutts 'btw' if you haven't already guessed:)

Personally I have no problem with getting rid of players who aren't up to it (apart from the obvious waste of money if you just bought them and the obvious deficiencies exposed in the scouting of players).

The more salient question is, after starting the season with 5 centre halves,whether anyone can rationalise why Clough or any other manager would get get rid of them all bar one (Kennedy), not get any replacements in and end up playing fullbacks and a midfielder in central defence to the detriment of the team. Its beyond me.

too true - my main gripe all season - whilst not ideal, a middle 4 of Basham/Coutts/kennedy and Brayford appears strong , committed and tough to get through.
Where that leaves Doyle and Baxter is anyone's guess - would be hard on Doyle but not for me with Baxter - unless he takes Holt's place.

Keep in strong. tight and let the "girls" round the edges play the football - the girls is reference to Rugby Union if it is lost on anyone - the pack being the men ;)

UTB

Fair point, Swiss. But equally nobody knows what has happened with Diego. Some are just going along with the inference (probably spread by Clough) that he's 'difficult', a 'prima donna' etc. but where's the proof of any of this? Bet his next club don't encounter these problems with Diego.

Funny, isn't it?

There's no need to imagine or infer anything. DDG rejected the terms of the contract offered. There was a difference of opinion between his advisers and the club on the terms he merited. It happens.

From his Tweets he still seems to support the club. No bitterness.

He's at Northampton now isn't he?

Agree on Grant (again). No disrespect to Crewe and his other clubs, but what a waste of talent if he never plays for any bigger clubs (I know he started at Chelsea). There has been questions raised over his attitude though.
What a difference a game makes. I thought he controlled the game for us against Barnsley and to me, although he hasn't played great so far, he's already shown that he has the quality to show this more often, just like he did at a Championship club before his injury. It's still early days in his Blades career, lets give the lad a chance eh. I'm talking about Coutts 'btw' if you haven't already guessed:)
He did control the game against Barnsley (Coutts ) and I have had a pop previously he's had a bad injury career threatening and before Saturday I thought he was carrying it.
Anyway more like Saturdays performance sound, made it look easy.
Holt can't make him out.
The one I do like is Freeman looks like he wants to play needs to play regular.
Bit of a favourite of mine at the moment is Davies great close control and awareness a forward for this division definatly.
Just got over Saturday night brilliant day

He did control the game against Barnsley (Coutts ) and I have had a pop previously he's had a bad injury career threatening and before Saturday I thought he was carrying it.
Anyway more like Saturdays performance sound, made it look easy.
Holt can't make him out.
The one I do like is Freeman looks like he wants to play needs to play regular.
Bit of a favourite of mine at the moment is Davies great close control and awareness a forward for this division definatly.
Just got over Saturday night brilliant day
To be fair to Holt what more can he do? He's already done a lot better than Scouggs this season and he's a favourite of mine. Apart from his goals he has also got into some great goalscoring positions, i think he could be a crowd favourite if given time.
Your bottom line also sums up my day and how i've felt the last couple of days, don't you just love the blades:D

To be fair to Holt what more can he do? He's already done a lot better than Scouggs this season and he's a favourite of mine. Apart from his goals he has also got into some great goalscoring positions, i think he could be a crowd favourite if given time.
Your bottom line also sums up my day and how i've felt the last couple of days, don't you just love the blades:D

Think you're right wiz. Holt took a while to adjust to the english game. I recall he received fairly harsh criticism when he first played, along the lines of a typical Clough signing from north of the border. Fortunately, he's beginning to show he's possessed of what I'd call football intelligence, so his awareness, timing, and sense of where to stand, are beginning to reveal themselves regularly. When you're good you rarely hear complaints about a player's size, so it is with Holt. Supporters aren't renowned for patience, yet that's exactly what some players need when they move to a new club.

I think Clough will offer Holt a contract. He deserves it based on what we've all witnessed. I know there's a discussion about balance in a team, as in mixing up height, but if we had a midfield of Hazard, Fabregas, and Silva, all short arses, I'd love to see that magic on a weekly basis.

Holt's recent form suggests he could regularly get goals from playing as one of the midfield 3. This is so so important and has been something we've really lacked since we failed to sign Coady, who was beginning to show the same knack at the tail end of last season. His shooting technique seems much better than Scougall's, for example. I think he may warrant a contract, certainly if we stay in league one.

Think you're right wiz. Holt took a while to adjust to the english game. I recall he received fairly harsh criticism when he first played, along the lines of a typical Clough signing from north of the border. Fortunately, he's beginning to show he's possessed of what I'd call football intelligence, so his awareness, timing, and sense of where to stand, are beginning to reveal themselves regularly. When you're good you rarely hear complaints about a player's size, so it is with Holt. Supporters aren't renowned for patience, yet that's exactly what some players need when they move to a new club.

I think Clough will offer Holt a contract. He deserves it based on what we've all witnessed. I know there's a discussion about balance in a team, as in mixing up height, but if we had a midfield of Hazard, Fabregas, and Silva, all short arses, I'd love to see that magic on a weekly basis.

Playing alongside two six footers like on Saturday Holt's lack of height and strength isn't much of an issue. But alongside Reed and Scougall we'd be too light weight. If Cuvelier is going to be given another go next season as well, maybe also Dimaio, we should probably look for a different type of player, although Holt may be as good as the above players. Physical attributes are part of the game and we can't ignore that when we'll be looking for additions in the summer.

Playing alongside two six footers like on Saturday Holt's lack of height and strength isn't much of an issue. But alongside Reed and Scougall we'd be too light weight. If Cuvelier is going to be given another go next season as well, maybe also Dimaio, we should probably look for a different type of player, although Holt may be as good as the above players. Physical attributes are part of the game and we can't ignore that when we'll be looking for additions in the summer.

It's an interesting point. I do think that at times it (height) has become something of 'cause', and that there are other solutions to a successful side that are often overlooked.

A defence definitely requires height allied to enough skill to be able to make sure that a goalkeeper is protected. The exception is usually in the position of fullback, but central defence demands height. Exceptions do happen of course, take our own central defender Kennedy, or even Jagielka, not the strapping 6'plus types we tend to associate with this position. But by and large you need presence to provide aerial protection.

As for midfield, I'm inclined to agree that balance is the preferred model. There are exceptions though, teams that have more smaller players than is prescribed, who do far more than compensate for their lack of inches, they positively thrive because of understanding, talent, and their overall footballing intelligence. Of course height brings obvious advantages from set pieces and corners, so I guess, depending on the number of players you employ in midfield, and the roles they're expected to perform, if that balance can be struck in terms of height, physicality, and defensive and creative abilities, a team should comprise enough height and physical presence to offer sufficient threat wherever it's needed. Having said that there will be exceptions to that model, and depending on how effective that exception is, it's effectiveness should be noted and considered if it's deemed worth following.

Back
Top Bottom