Clarke

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Contributed 0 league goals
Sharp has scored 5
Done has scored 2

Some wanted Sharp dropped.

Contributed 0 league goals
Sharp has scored 5
Done has scored 2

Some wanted Sharp dropped.

Penalties, people will cry, penalties!

(My response to that is that I think it's a good idea to let someone with a good shot on him take penalties. Would they rather have Coutts do it?)

Or maybe try the revolutionary method of not punting the ball upfield :eek:. Didn't see Arsenal whacking too many aimless balls at their midget strikers Saturday, nor Southampton in their easy victory.

Pretty simple game is football, use your resources and play to your strengths. I think maybe Chris Wilder gets that. Let's hope we're going so well with the short arses that the big lump doesn't get anywhere near the first team again. Squad player at best, definitely nowt special.
We have been playing passing football since Danny Wilson came to us and we are still in this division. It would be nice to have height up front giving us more options

Told you, LS26.

And that leaves Sharp with 3 and Clarke with zero.

This is all moot as Clarke is injured.
Yes unfortunately Clarke is injured and I wish we had signed someone else with height and pace. He seemed a good signing but we couldnt see in the crystal ball that he would get injured! That is bad kuck!

I think people are being a little premature in righting off Clarke. Hes a very good player at this league once he gets his feet under the table and settles down. Notwithstanding the fact that he has joined a new club whos fans seem a surly and sceptical bunch (who can blame us i suppose after all the let downs we have had), the lad has had to come into a club with past pigs allegiance, carrying an injury, and a completely new team getting to know each other on the hoof working out how their teammates play and new systems and gaffer. The service given to the forward lads in the first few games when Clarke had his initial run was pretty piss poor too. Now im not saying hes going to be a world beater but i do think that theres a very good chance that he will be a very good player for sufc in time. Nor doni think Sharp and Clarke cannot forge a partnership. Good players identify others strengths and adapt to playing with them. I think CW should pick horses for courses and mix up the front lads during the season but there will be plenty of games and we should go with Sharpie and Clarkie. No doubt others will have identified that he is just 'shit'.

Penalties shouldn't be discounted but they have to be factored in when looking at someone's goalscoring record. Do you think scouts don't distinguish between regular goals and penalty goals?

Sharp's all round play has been quite poor but his goalscoring record is acceptable. But there's nothing to say Clarke wouldn't have scored a similar amount, at least without penalties, if he was fit and in the team.

And for God's sake don't crucify me for 'slagging Billy off', I'm not.

Penalties shouldn't be discounted but they have to be factored in when looking at someone's goalscoring record. Do you think scouts don't distinguish between regular goals and penalty goals?

Sharp's all round play has been quite poor but his goalscoring record is acceptable. But there's nothing to say Clarke wouldn't have scored a similar amount, at least without penalties, if he was fit and in the team.

And for God's sake don't crucify me for 'slagging Billy off', I'm not.

There is something to say that Clark wouldn't have scored any league goals: actual evidence. He didn't get one in any of the games he played in.

And he might have scored if he was fit and playing. True, he might have. But he can't play as he's not fit, so that argument has no weight (it would have merit if he was fit and not being picked I suppose). It's like saying James Wallace would have led us to promotion if he'd been fit.

Do you think Wilder would be telling Sinclair his thoughts on the team, the bloke on the mike at half time.? Surely the Barbers brothers auntie knows the tea lady at the Lane scenario holds as much value.

Sorry to be pedantic, but surely the barber's brother's auntie and the barber's auntie are the same person?

There is something to say that Clark wouldn't have scored any league goals: actual evidence. He didn't get one in any of the games he played in.

And he might have scored if he was fit and playing. True, he might have. But he can't play as he's not fit, so that argument has no weight (it would have merit if he was fit and not being picked I suppose). It's like saying James Wallace would have led us to promotion if he'd been fit.

Sharp only scored once in the games that Clarke started. The team was playing differently, and their partnership didn't work. Clarke did score in the cup though, Billy didn't.

It's not a player's fault if he gets injured, it's not something to hold against him. The point was hypothetical based around capability when fit, it goes without saying. And if you want evidence of that capability then look at Clarke's goals to games ratio last season, it was actually better than Sharp's.

You've touched no nerve you daft twat, stupidity doesn't bother me.
I just find it weird that you're hoping Leon Clarke doesn't score by his 10th league appearance because by your conclusion he'all have failed.
:)

UTB

Coutts is actually an excellent penalty taker.

Really?

He plays in midfied and yet hasn't scored in his last 91 professional appearances. His last goal was 1 April 2013.

I'd rather have Simon Moore take them.

Really?

He plays in midfied and yet hasn't scored in his last 91 professional appearances. His last goal was 1 April 2013.

I'd rather have Simon Moore take them.
He's taken a few (Ive seen 2 I think) for the reserves/U23s over the last few seasons and looks very assured.

He's taken a few (Ive seen 2 I think) for the reserves/U23s over the last few seasons and looks very assured.
Agreed.

I would actually rather Coutts take them then Sharp, who tends to mostly put them to the goalies right.

If keepers do their homework (and they do)............

UTB

Hendo and Higgo turned out well for you didn't they Herbs ??

I defer to your "well known expert" tag !

UTB

The season long injury was what made Hendo a disaster. No way we would have gone down if we’d had him and Williamson to call on that season .Wasn’t he joint top scorer the season before with around 15 goals? And didn’t he score a fair few for Forest and Millwall after?

Totally agree. Discounting periods in PL and championship he is bang on a 1 in 2 striker. Impressive and beyond doubt / question.

My criticism of the player that has turned out for SUFC this season goes much much beyond this and is based on much more than a previous goals record. It has mostly to do with "fit" and how he does (or does not) fit in to our system. As an impact sub, great, happy to have him.

But is was clear to me from day 1 that he and Sharp should not share the same pitch in a Blades shirt. Many came round to my way of thinking as the season started. Some still obviously see him as a focal point for the team offensively. I don't.

Sorry to labour the point, but as I see it, for the most part, Billy and Leon are competing directly for the one shirt.

I believe Leon will come second in that particular duel !!

Time will tell.

UTB

I pretty much agree with that. Sharp or Clarke alongside Done or Lavery looks like being our best bet. We need options up front and Clarke is one (and one that’s very different to our others) even if he’s not going to be the main man that some thought he might be.

Let’s not forget Kabba and Webber couldn’t play together but both proved to be worth their weight in gold during our promotion season.

The season long injury was what made Hendo a disaster. No way we would have gone down if we’d had him and Williamson to call on that season .Wasn’t he joint top scorer the season before with around 15 goals? And didn’t he score a fair few for Forest and Millwall after?
Could I suggest that Hendo being unable to trap a bag of cement had a fair bit to do with it as well !

UTB

Fuckin hell Koz. Too early for conundrums .

sTjAzWl.png

Sorry to be pedantic, but surely the barber's brother's auntie and the barber's auntie are the same person?

Not being pedantic, but not necessarily. Whilst you could be correct in your assumption that it is one and the same person, it is also a possibility that the 'Aunties' in question are sisters or they may not even know each other if one is from the dads side of the family and the other is from the mums side. Both Aunties to the brothers but quite possibly different people.

Actually on reflection maybe i was a tad pedantic. Sorry. :)

Not being pedantic, but not necessarily. Whilst you could be correct in your assumption that it is one and the same person, it is also a possibility that the 'Aunties' in question are sisters or they may not even know each other if one is from the dads side of the family and the other is from the mums side. Both Aunties to the brothers but quite possibly different people.

There's obviously the Barnsley factor missing from your pedantry, where there could be your Auntie, Grandma and Sister and they end up being the same person or, even if they aren't, they'll all have shagged your dad.

There's obviously the Barnsley factor missing from your pedantry, where there could be your Auntie, Grandma and Sister and they end up being the same person or, even if they aren't, they'll all have shagged your dad.

Yes, good point that. I should have qualified my post with a 'unless tha's from Baaaaarrrrnnsley the six finga and webbed toers capital of the world'.

Could I suggest that Hendo being unable to trap a bag of cement had a fair bit to do with it as well !

UTB

He had his limitations but was fairly effective when he was injury and suspension free as he proved by making a decent career for himself at upper end championship clubs. He wasn’t exactly value for money but was probably one of the better target men for the level he was playing at.

Back
Top Bottom