Clarke

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Clarke IMHO is bang average at best. Even for L1. I was one of very few who said this (back in July) and that he and Sharp would not work. Doesn't look like I was wrong !

On top of this, he has had a poor start to his Blades career. So as it stands, we arnt missing much for the month he is out.

All the above said, I reckon he will remain a part of Wilders plans going forward. Form, injuries and suspensions will give him opportunities to start and force Wilders hand. I seriously doubt he will take these opportunities and will thus be reduced to impact sub bit part roles for the bulk of the season.

For so many reasons, a player we should not have signed.

IMHO.

UTB
How is McNulty doing? Is he scoring goals for Bradford?

On one hand, he’s not in the team at the moment so won’t be a huge miss. However, he is a handy player to have on the bench and we’re not blessed with tons of striking options (5, 6 if you include Baxter, 7 if you include Jake Wright forward players have left the club either on loan or permanent since May) now so have to just hope that we don’t lose anyone else before he’s fit again.
We definitely need height up front. Everytime we punt up field it is easily headed away by the opposing defence. We keep having to play low crosses from the wings in open play

We definitely need height up front. Everytime we punt up field it is easily headed away by the opposing defence. We keep having to play low crosses from the wings in open play

In an ideal world we'd have height for the reasons you mention but I think what Sharp and Done are bringing in the 352 outweighs Leon's height at the moment. Although as I say, he would be handy to have on the bench.

Clarke IMHO is bang average at best. Even for L1. I was one of very few who said this (back in July) and that he and Sharp would not work. Doesn't look like I was wrong !

On top of this, he has had a poor start to his Blades career. So as it stands, we arnt missing much for the month he is out.

All the above said, I reckon he will remain a part of Wilders plans going forward. Form, injuries and suspensions will give him opportunities to start and force Wilders hand. I seriously doubt he will take these opportunities and will thus be reduced to impact sub bit part roles for the bulk of the season.

For so many reasons, a player we should not have signed.

IMHO.

UTB
Like a fly round shit

I think he's a great option for any league one club to have in their squad. He'll play his fair part this season and get his fair share of goals too.

It's a long running 'target man' thing.
It's weird. I stand by the fact in our poor run Clarke didn't play badly and it wasn't his fault he was getting the ball launched to his bonce. He's a skillful lad and he's good with his feet, the defender lumping it to him isn't and can't be his fault.

It's weird. I stand by the fact in our poor run Clarke didn't play badly and it wasn't his fault he was getting the ball launched to his bonce. He's a skillful lad and he's good with his feet, the defender lumping it to him isn't and can't be his fault.
No he isn't.

I'll stand by my assessment. Will you ??

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaank ;)

UTB

No he isn't.

I'll stand by my assessment. Will you ??

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaank ;)

UTB
I don't need to stand by anything, he's proved himself time and time again in this divison.
He's very skillful and aware of whats around him.

His goalscoring record at League 1 level is anything but average.
Totally agree. Discounting periods in PL and championship he is bang on a 1 in 2 striker. Impressive and beyond doubt / question.

My criticism of the player that has turned out for SUFC this season goes much much beyond this and is based on much more than a previous goals record. It has mostly to do with "fit" and how he does (or does not) fit in to our system. As an impact sub, great, happy to have him.

But is was clear to me from day 1 that he and Sharp should not share the same pitch in a Blades shirt. Many came round to my way of thinking as the season started. Some still obviously see him as a focal point for the team offensively. I don't.

Sorry to labour the point, but as I see it, for the most part, Billy and Leon are competing directly for the one shirt.

I believe Leon will come second in that particular duel !!

Time will tell.

UTB

And he says 'doesnt look like I was wrong'. We're not even in October...
Deluded
I think the people writing Calrke off are those who were dead against his signing from day 1, he would have had to score consecutive hat-tricks for those to change their mind.

His only games have come during a period where we had multiple new signings finding their feet. A period during which he was one of a few to come out of it with any credit.

I cant say he's a great signing, or a bad one, because we havent yet had chance to see a true sample of games.

And he says 'doesnt look like I was wrong'. We're not even in October...
Deluded

Fair point, but in the other hand, by the time he is fit again, 25 to 35% of the season will have gone and he will have contributed nothing.

I think even though he is injured, he should play instead of Sharp :rolleyes:
Having been injured a few times over the years, I'm just amazed how players can play at high level while "carrying an injury".
How the heck do you play with a chipped ankle bone for example?
Do they numb your whole leg and push you out there like Nick Nolte in North Dallas Forty?

Fair point, but in the other hand, by the time he is fit again, 25 to 35% of the season will have gone and he will have contributed nothing.
Precisely.

Nothing !

UTB

For what it's worth, I hope that if he does get back in the side, he contributes successfully. I don't want him to fail.

But I remain confident he will fail.

UTB

Hendo and Higgo turned out well for you didn't they Herbs ??

I defer to your "well known expert" tag !

UTB

Hendo was ultimately a waste of money, but injury fucked him, and us. He went on to do well for Millwall in the Championship after leaving us. If he, Morgan and Williamson stayed fit in 2010/11 we wouldn't have gone down.

Higdon's legs suddenly went as soon as we signed him it seems. He's not played at any decent level since - even Scottish clubs don't want him.

Hendo was ultimately a waste of money, but injury fucked him, and us. He went on to do well for Millwall in the Championship after leaving us. If he, Morgan and Williamson stayed fit in 2010/11 we wouldn't have gone down.

Higdon's legs suddenly went as soon as we signed him it seems. He's not played at any decent level since - even Scottish clubs don't want him.

So your judgement of these players was, politely, "wide of the mark" ?

Well wide of the mark ??

Whereas others saw it for what it was, very early in proceedings :(

The Clarke comparisons are earily similar, as I see it.

Maybe I'll get this one wrong !!

UTB

So your judgement of these players was, politely, "wide of the mark" ?

Well wide of the mark ??

Whereas others saw it for what it was, very early in proceedings :(

The Clarke comparisons are earily similar, as I see it.

Maybe I'll get this one wrong !!

UTB

No.

Henderson was a decent Championship target man, who happened to cost us too much and have bad luck with injuries.

Higdon would've been good for us if he was the same player Motherwell had. But he wasn't.

If Clarke fails with us it won't be down to ability, he could hardly be more proven in L1, it'll be down to suitability or bad luck. I think he'll make a positive contribution but Wilder's got a hard job on his hands getting the best out of him and fitting him into the team on a regular basis.

No.

Henderson was a decent Championship target man, who happened to cost us too much and have bad luck with injuries.

Higdon would've been good for us if he was the same player Motherwell had. But he wasn't.

If Clarke fails with us it won't be down to ability, he could hardly be more proven in L1, it'll be down to suitability or bad luck. I think he'll make a positive contribution but Wilder's got a hard job on his hands getting the best out of him and fitting him into the team on a regular basis.

Agreed.

On paper, Hendo was a decent signing.

On paper, Higdon was a decent signing.

On paper, Sammon should have worked out well for any L1 club and was also a decent signing at the time.

Leon ................................

Time will tell ;)

UTB

I tend to rely heavily on what my eyeballs are telling me, rather than former player glories and stats or FIFA 17 !!!

Correct me if I'm wrong.

But have I, or have I not, touched a raw nerve here Danny boy ;)

UTB
You've touched no nerve you daft twat, stupidity doesn't bother me.
I just find it weird that you're hoping Leon Clarke doesn't score by his 10th league appearance because by your conclusion he'all have failed.

Probably pretty pointless trying to judge him so far.

When he was in the side,He didn't look too bad but the side was still finding it's feet and he was not fully fit. Doubt we'd just hump it 70 yards too him if he was starting now.

His L1 record suggests he can be an asset (its probably better than 1/2) and luckily we have some strikers who are scoring and lavery to come in, so he can take the proper time to get fit and hopefully make a meaningfull contributon

Or maybe try the revolutionary method of not punting the ball upfield :eek:. Didn't see Arsenal whacking too many aimless balls at their midget strikers Saturday, nor Southampton in their easy victory.

Pretty simple game is football, use your resources and play to your strengths. I think maybe Chris Wilder gets that. Let's hope we're going so well with the short arses that the big lump doesn't get anywhere near the first team again. Squad player at best, definitely nowt special.

Back
Top Bottom