Outgoing? Calvert-Lewin to Man Utd?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I suppose that's why Everton and now Man Utd are showing an interest in him.Tell me Barney how you know that a young player won't develop when
top professional s with two leading premiership clubs obviously rate him ,and both clubs have got great academy s ??.
It seems you delight in bringing us down are you a pig in disguise,if you are your not hiding it very well.
Do you really just resort to that bollocks when you don't agree with somebody?

Can you tell me what he's done that shows he might have what it takes to go beyond league one?

If hes not going to be involved in the first team then we may as well sell him and use the money to help build up our options in midfield.

I would agree with you that there are better young players out there, but I still think you're being a little harsh.

"There's extremely little if any evidence (so far) that DCL is or can be any more than a mid table league one striker"

This quote annoys me somewhat, there's little evidence for anything: we've only seen cameos from him in a poor squad.

The staff at the club hold him in high regard: and there's apparent interest from PL clubs. Aren't these encouraging signs?
When I said extremely little evidence that's here and elsewhere.

I've taken your point about the majority of young players and the fact that he might not be making an instant impact. So he's no different to all those other young players in that regard as you can apply that to all.

Now, if you can tell me what sets him apart from many other youngsters, both making an instant impact or not, of whom many will have better scoring records and longer showings of consistency, I'll hold my hands up and apologise but you won't be able to as there isn't anything.

Do you really just resort to that bollocks when you don't agree with somebody?

Can you tell me what he's done that shows he might have what it takes to go beyond league one?
I don't write young players off when I have hardly seen them play (you do ) yes your entitled to your opinion but why not accept that professional s in the game know more about the game than you (I do ).There are a number of young players over the years who showed real ability and got no where and I would have backed them to make it also works the other way and some come through who you think have no chance.Leave it to the professionals !.
95 % of young players dont make it so the odds are in your favour that he doasnt make it , But why take delight in slagging a young player who's trying to make a living out of the game ,and it seems being chased by premiership clubs.

I don't write young players off when I have hardly seen them play (you do ) yes your entitled to your opinion but why not accept that professional s in the game know more about the game than you (I do ).There are a number of young players over the years who showed real ability and got no where and I would have backed them to make it also works the other way and some come through who you think have no chance.Leave it to the professionals !.
95 % of young players dont make it so the odds are in your favour that he doasnt make it , But why take delight in slagging a young player who's trying to make a living out of the game ,and it seems being chased by premiership clubs.
Not slagging him, just telling it how I see it and refusing to big him up without any foundation as many fans seem to like to do with our young players.

Been extremely impressed with him when I've seen him for the youth sides, and tipped him for stardom a long time ago. I'm surprised he hasn't been cherry picked a long time before now, but he has put his career before the instant gratification that a lot of kids do. Everyone has a price though.I would love to see him compete with Done for the chance to partner Clarke or Sharp, but with rumours of Lavery incoming, it seems he may be on his way?

It's about time DCL started getting a chance. You never know, he might even be better than superstars like Done, Clarke and Scougall?

If Wilder wants to play 4-2-3-1 properly then DCL's probably the most suitable option to play in the number 10 position. Can play between attack and midfield, is a good athlete and can score goals. How many of the other options tick those boxes?

So.

We loan in a kid from The Boro, admittedly a prospect, but it's a loan...
Then we have Everton/Manchester United interested in BUYING one of our youths
for a decent fee (perhaps) ..

I'm obviously missing something.

If DCL ain't that good, not my words, then why are the PL clubs interested in him and not Harry Chapman?

It's not like this on CM 02.

Something's not right with 'our' selection policy. We are sitting down the bottom of league one yet have two youngsters (Che and DCL ) valued at over a million a piece by clubs in higher divisions but they can't/couldn't get a game for us.

Doesn't make sense, it's not like Sharp and Clarke are on fire so why didn't/ hasn't Wilder given these lads a chance ?

It's The Daily Mail...

Ya know, The Daily Mail.

Headlines like these....

So-called refugees have been drilling for oil in one family's back garden the Mail can exclusively reveal.

In a shocking indictment of our permissive society it has this week emerged that cyberterrorists have been setting fire to pensioners whilst high on skunk and crack.

Richard Littlejohn has today said "society needs to condemn a little more and understand a little less.".

In a shocking indictment of our permissive society it has this week emerged that homosexuals have been reading the works of Karl Marx.

Shocking news has come to light that a recent spate of plotting to kidnap a senior royal has been perpetrated by unemployed layabouts demanding benefits with menace.

The Daily Mail, yeah?

So who was this senior royal you were planning to kidnap then, LYDON, eh, eh? :D

Something's not right with 'our' selection policy. We are sitting down the bottom of league one yet have two youngsters (Che and DCL ) valued at over a million a piece by clubs in higher divisions but they can't/couldn't get a game for us.

Doesn't make sense, it's not like Sharp and Clarke are on fire so why didn't/ hasn't Wilder given these lads a chance ?

DCL's been injured and at the end of the day he's not better than Sharp or Clarke. That said he has promise so in time we might have a decent player on our hands, but if selling Dom means we can sign players who can go straight into the first team, like Morgan, than its arguably a gamble worth taking, just like it was with Adams.

So.

We loan in a kid from The Boro, admittedly a prospect, but it's a loan...
Then we have Everton/Manchester United interested in BUYING one of our youths
for a decent fee (perhaps) ..

I'm obviously missing something.

If DCL ain't that good, not my words, then why are the PL clubs interested in him and not Harry Chapman?

It's not like this on CM 02.

But why does Chapman get straight in our squad and DCL not ? Would love him to come good and be involved at United and you have to question why our management team are not giving him more opportunities? The reality with Prem clubs and young prospects is they rarely make the grade and find themselves back in the lower leagues

Fairly sure Man U will be sizing up bids for a lot of young players, especially as they are (apparently) a bit short in the youth department this year. Incredible if true.

Anyway, we shouldn't pay too much attention to PL club's valuations of players. They are like a billionaire shopping in a Turkish market. What is the point of haggling? Why bother going in low when you can just slap more than enough cash on the counter and watch the saucer eyed vendor spread his cheeks for you.

I would be more interested to see how a Championship or other LG 1 club valued him tbh.

DDG MK2. Only Southampton get absolute top,top,top dollar for young player sales. We get bottom,bottom bottom.

While other teams may struggle to replicate the success of their academy (in part due to their favourable 'catchment' area), there's nothing to stop other teams replicating the success of their negotiation tactics.

When I said extremely little evidence that's here and elsewhere.

I've taken your point about the majority of young players and the fact that he might not be making an instant impact. So he's no different to all those other young players in that regard as you can apply that to all.

Now, if you can tell me what sets him apart from many other youngsters, both making an instant impact or not, of whom many will have better scoring records and longer showings of consistency, I'll hold my hands up and apologise but you won't be able to as there isn't anything.

What sets him apart from other academy players (a point that I raised in my first response, that you seem to have conveniently overlooked) is that there is hype from within the club and seemingly interest from premier league sides. While it doesn't prove that he will be a star, it's an encouraging sign.

I'm not trying to get into a debate with you about whether or not DCL will 'make it', as statistically he's doomed to fail like 90% of young aspiring footballers. My point is that as fans we haven't seen enough to make any assertion either way.

While other teams may struggle to replicate the success of their academy (in part due to their favourable 'catchment' area), there's nothing to stop other teams replicating the success of their negotiation tactics.

What sets him apart from other academy players (a point that I raised in my first response, that you seem to have conveniently overlooked) is that there is hype from within the club and seemingly interest from premier league sides. While it doesn't prove that he will be a star, it's an encouraging sign.

I'm not trying to get into a debate with you about whether or not DCL will 'make it', as statistically he's doomed to fail like 90% of young aspiring footballers. My point is that as fans we haven't seen enough to make any assertion either way.

In what way is Southamptons catchment area more favourable. I think South Yorkshire is way more of a football hotbed.
I agree on the negotiating front,but ours typifies everything we have become. Second and third rate.

He is what he is at the moment, a decent prospect. Nothing more nothing less. The professional people in the game though have seen something us ordinary fans have yet to see and obviously rate him. However in this day and age excellent potential comes with a price tag and it's time we started opening our eyes to this before we snatch the first fiver on the table. For once, just once though I'd like to see us keep hold and develop the lad ourselves. He has a good attitude, is well grounded and a through and through blade. Let's keep it that way.

The trouble is we sell our players and dont invest in better players che adams sold for about 2 million.
Bought goalie 250 thousand pounds
Beard wages saved between £10000 and£15000 a week
The money never goes on tŕansfers its the blade way

In what way is Southamptons catchment area more favourable. I think South Yorkshire is way more of a football hotbed.
I agree on the negotiating front,but ours typifies everything we have become. Second and third rate.

Southampton have a very extensive scouting network that just about covers the whole country and has done for some years. They also make use of 'freelance' scouts. These guys may affiliate to one club but make recommendations to other clubs as well, Jack Hixon in the North-East (working for Burnley) recommended Alan Shearer to Southampton.

They also have a reputation now, much like Crewe did when Dario Gradi was running things, for bringing through good, well-schooled players. Consequently they attract players as a result of this previous success that would otherwise go elsewhere.

The trouble is we sell our players and dont invest in better players che adams sold for about 2 million.

Goalie was £500k.

I would say Southampton can cast the net far wider with less competition from other clubs (Brighton, Bournemouth, Maybe Portsmouth?) but would totally agree we are a far greater hotbed of football restricted slightly due to the competition. We used to give the young lads far more chances to play and in turn it helped us attract the better prospects. Our desperate situation of being stuck in this shithole for so long has seen us take less risks with the youngsters. Remember you win nowt with kids eh?

You could argue that we have invested some of the Adam's money in a better player. I think most fans seem to agree Moore appears to be a better keeper than Long.

Southampton have a very extensive scouting network that just about covers the whole country and has done for some years. They also make use of 'freelance' scouts. These guys may affiliate to one club but make recommendations to other clubs as well, Jack Hixon in the North-East (working for Burnley) recommended Alan Shearer to Southampton.

They also have a reputation now, much like Crewe did when Dario Gradi was running things, for bringing through good, well-schooled players. Consequently they attract players as a result of this previous success that would otherwise go elsewhere.

Well said S.E.B.

I believe (admittedly I'm not expert on the subject) that up to a certain age, academy players must play for a club within their region. If I remember rightly Southampton have a large area to chose from, where they're relatively unrivalled.

Back
Top Bottom