Brown's belter at the Bramall Lane end

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I'm sorry but you can say what you want about tokenism, women's sport being equal and all that good shit. Fact is time after time women's keepers are woeful. If that's sexist then hang me but I see what I see, they generally don't catch well and get caught out in the air. Just footballing facts.

It's an evolving game but the airtime the BBC gives it is embarrassing. Tried to watch it, tried to enjoy it but more mistakes at international level than non league means it's a non entity for me.

Anyone see Fraser Forster's howler at the weekend? Anything the women can do...

You can't write and show that clip. The whole point of this thread is to jibe at the women's game.
Men don't make mistakes....apart from every England goalkeeper in the past 20 years.

I'm sorry but you can say what you want about tokenism, women's sport being equal and all that good shit. Fact is time after time women's keepers are woeful. If that's sexist then hang me but I see what I see, they generally don't catch well and get caught out in the air. Just footballing facts.

It's an evolving game but the airtime the BBC gives it is embarrassing. Tried to watch it, tried to enjoy it but more mistakes at international level than non league means it's a non entity for me.

No, it's not sexist to point out that the keeping standards are low. Very low in fact. The issue is, and I'm not accusing anyone specific here, when people fail to see the context of how the women's game was suppressed for decades. The FA led to women being barred from holding matches in professional football stadiums, and that stayed in place for fifty years. After that it was still a decade until there were a European championship held for them.

Women's football was destroyed back at a point when it might have developed into a successful spectator sport (actually, it had been very successful in the years shortly before the ban). The men's game cornered the market, football grew into a multi billion pound international industry, and only now are we seeing any kind of stable, progressive, investment into the game for women. And it's only now that the commercial opportunities are absolutely dominated, and that being a footballer is well beyond just making a living, that people are trying to redress the balance slightly.

So, sure, that young lass playing for Leicester whose name I don't even know is, quite probably, a pretty shit keeper. But you have to measure that against the fact that the standards of the game have been intentionally lowered by the practices of the past. And that's why the BBC putting the odd game on is a positive move. Better than Songs of Praise, anyway.

No, it's not sexist to point out that the keeping standards are low. Very low in fact. The issue is, and I'm not accusing anyone specific here, when people fail to see the context of how the women's game was suppressed for decades. The FA led to women being barred from holding matches in professional football stadiums, and that stayed in place for fifty years. After that it was still a decade until there were a European championship held for them.

Women's football was destroyed back at a point when it might have developed into a successful spectator sport (actually, it had been very successful in the years shortly before the ban). The men's game cornered the market, football grew into a multi billion pound international industry, and only now are we seeing any kind of stable, progressive, investment into the game for women. And it's only now that the commercial opportunities are absolutely dominated, and that being a footballer is well beyond just making a living, that people are trying to redress the balance slightly.

So, sure, that young lass playing for Leicester whose name I don't even know is, quite probably, a pretty shit keeper. But you have to measure that against the fact that the standards of the game have been intentionally lowered by the practices of the past. And that's why the BBC putting the odd game on is a positive move. Better than Songs of Praise, anyway.

That doesn't make any sense. How can you intentionally make an entire gender bad at a certain sport?

Billy Sharp is 30 years old and is better than any 30 year old female footballer in the world. It's as simple as that.

The woman's game might well have been hampered and ignored as a spectator sport over the years but that doesn't change the fundamental fact that women aren't very good at football when compared to men.

That doesn't make any sense. How can you intentionally make an entire gender bad at a certain sport?

Billy Sharp is 30 years old and is better than any 30 year old female footballer in the world. It's as simple as that.

The woman's game might well have been hampered and ignored as a spectator sport over the years but that doesn't change the fundamental fact that women aren't very good at football when compared to men.

Well you start by not picking such an awful phrasing of the argument.

Standards of sport rise with a mixture of the quality of coaching, the quality of facilities to train with, the level to which youth are encouraged to participate, and from it being a viable profession for a greater number of players.

All of those things were deliberately taken from the women's game before they could develop in the way the men's game did. So, again, the point is not that women will be as good as men, the point is that the standard of the sport has been deliberately suppressed for patently sexist reasons including health professionals claiming it was "unsuitable" for the female physique, by football's authorities segregating them from the facilities of other athletes, and by denying revenue over the years that the sport developed the foundations for a modern game.

It's like someone smashed a kid's computer, banned him from ever buying a new one, and then years later pointed and laughed at him for not doing what Bill Gates did. I mean, maybe we know he was never going to reach that level of success, but I'm just asking you to go easy on the guy. Or, in the same vein, asking why an IT expert doesn't just make a new version of Microsoft and forgetting that the market's already been cornered before he was allowed to compete.

Standards of sport rise with a mixture of the quality of coaching, the quality of facilities to train with, the level to which youth are encouraged to participate, and from it being a viable profession for a greater number of players.

All of those things were deliberately taken from the women's game before they could develop in the way the men's game did. So, again, the point is not that women will be as good as men, the point is that the standard of the sport has been deliberately suppressed for patently sexist reasons including health professionals claiming it was "unsuitable" for the female physique, by football's authorities segregating them from the facilities of other athletes, and by denying revenue over the years that the sport developed the foundations for a modern game.

It's like someone smashed a kid's computer, banned him from ever buying a new one, and then years later pointed and laughed at him for not doing what Bill Gates did. I mean, maybe we know he was never going to reach that level of success, but I'm just asking you to go easy on the guy. Or, in the same vein, asking why an IT expert doesn't just make a new version of Microsoft and forgetting that the market's already been cornered before he was allowed to compete.

I don't understand your argument.

That's not my fault at this point.

You're admitting that women will never be as good as men but then saying women aren't as good as they should be. What difference does it make?

Obviously if more young girls were encouraged to play football all around the world then the standard would gradually increase but even still, nobody would want to watch it.

It makes a difference to judge something within context. Criticising something for being of poor quality when everything has been intentionally structured in such a way as to ensure it's as poor as possible is more than a little bit unfair. And to then conclude from the standard on display that it can't ever be a successful spectator sport (when other women's sports are) is more than a little bit of an overreach.

Some quite bizarre generalizations on this thread.

Makes ya wonder if it's ONLY women's football!

.....and then there have been bizarre generalisations in response to the bizarre generalisations in the thread.

When LYDON writes generalizations, it's generalizations. :cool:

On another note.
I've left £100 behind the bar at Dempseys for any Blades calling in there on Saturday.
Drinks on me.
Enjoy.

When LYDON writes generalizations, it's generalizations. :cool:

On another note.
I've left £100 behind the bar at Dempseys for any Blades calling in there on Saturday.
Drinks on me.
Enjoy.

I thought a Rotten Londoner of Oirish descent might abhor the Yankee spell checker but I'm obviously pretty vacant on that one.

Thanks for the drinks. Do we need to mention your name or is there a special code word like 'Country Life'?

Same thing happened with men's Netball, bastards :(

In May this year, Australia National ladies team, played a friendly against Newcastle Jets U15 boys, as part of their preparation for the Rio Olympics. The U15 boys won 7-0, I think that is a fairly clear indication of the difference in standards between the two genders.

It's obvious Women could never compete with Men at Football, but then again, why would they ever want or need to? :confused:

I think UK non-league sides would comfortably beat any women's football team I've seen. As in the clip above, the worst part about the women's game is the awful keeping standards.

They would. The team I play for have played Donny Belles in a couple of friendlies over the last 12 months (as a way of increasing their physicality I believe) and we've beaten them fairly comfortably 3-0 on both occasions. One thing I will say though is that they really weren't afraid to put a tackle in and technically they were very good (probably better than us) but we beat them as we were physically stronger.

Back
Top Bottom