Six of the worst - the worst performances I have seen at Bramall Lane

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

1973Blade

Reaction score
Saturday's awful performance against Bournemouth got me thinking about where it stands in my all time worst matches I have seen at Bramall Lane.
1. United 0 Oldham 5 1988. Surely no result can ever be this bad. Being thrashed by Oldham Athletic! It was so bad it led to a carpark protest and the end of Billy McEwan's time in charge. On a bright note, if this result had never happened maybe we wouldn't have had Bassett as manager and all the drama that occurred as a result.
2. United 0 Newcastle 8 2023. Such a bad result - if James Alexander Gordon was still around it would have been one of those rare occasions that he repeated the score to a disbelieving audience. I was just glad that it didn't end up being double figures.
3. United 0 Stoke 3 2007. Peak Bryan Robson, on a freezing cold Tuesday night (I can't actually remember if it was cold but losing heavily to Tony Pulis' Stoke it must have been). Three down within 20 minutes many were leaving before halftime.
4. United 0 Sunderland 4 1998. Not sure if Michael Bridges is the only away player to score four at Bramall Lane. It did persuade Steve Brice to finally hang up his boots
5. United 1 Bournemouth 3 2023. I don't think I have seen United play so poorly from minute one. We were totally outplayed to relegation rivals
6. United 1 Crawley 0 2014 OK we won, but to me a low point watching United was seeing our players heading to the corner flag on 82 minutes trying to count down the clcok at home to Crawley!! One of the few times I booed the players (I even avoided it on Saturday).

Conversely best performances I have seen when we have lost

Number 1

Scunthorpe 0-4 at home we were like a mix of Brazil 70 and France 98 don't be fooled by the result.
I was on holiday for that one, I couldn't believe it when I saw the final score!

Altrincham 3 Blades 0 - FA Cup Replay ROUND 2 I think in 1981 I think. This was the only real blip on a great season - but boy we were woeful that night.

And also the Blades 0 Oldham 5 under Billy McEwan was a complete shocker…. His last game before Bassett came in. And let’s not forget that he could not save us that season and we got relegated before he rebuilt us with back to back promotions. That is actually similar to how I feel now….ie you can’t see how we will ever get out of this mess, but a change of manager & 12 months on - everything changed! Fingers crossed it happens again.

Altrincham 3 Blades 0 - FA Cup Replay ROUND 2 I think in 1981 I think. This was the only real blip on a great season - but boy we were woeful that night.

And also the Blades 0 Oldham 5 under Billy McEwan was a complete shocker…. His last game before Bassett came in. And let’s not forget that he could not save us that season and we got relegated before he rebuilt us with back to back promotions. That is actually similar to how I feel now….ie you can’t see how we will ever get out of this mess, but a change of manager & 12 months on - everything changed! Fingers crossed it happens again.
LOL, just posted about Altrincham 🤣

Losing 4-2 away to Bury in the League Cup in 1995/96 was a real low. Mark Blount, probably our worst ever player, was in the team. It was a vile performance, still stuck in my memory all these years later.

I think Bridges only scored two (Niall Quinn scored a couple I think) but he certainly ripped Steve Bruce to pieces.
I was sure he scored four, must be a false memory.

Saturday's awful performance against Bournemouth got me thinking about where it stands in my all time worst matches I have seen at Bramall Lane.
1. United 0 Oldham 5 1988. Surely no result can ever be this bad. Being thrashed by Oldham Athletic! It was so bad it led to a carpark protest and the end of Billy McEwan's time in charge. On a bright note, if this result had never happened maybe we wouldn't have had Bassett as manager and all the drama that occurred as a result.
2. United 0 Newcastle 8 2023. Such a bad result - if James Alexander Gordon was still around it would have been one of those rare occasions that he repeated the score to a disbelieving audience. I was just glad that it didn't end up being double figures.
3. United 0 Stoke 3 2007. Peak Bryan Robson, on a freezing cold Tuesday night (I can't actually remember if it was cold but losing heavily to Tony Pulis' Stoke it must have been). Three down within 20 minutes many were leaving before halftime.
4. United 0 Sunderland 4 1998. Not sure if Michael Bridges is the only away player to score four at Bramall Lane. It did persuade Steve Brice to finally hang up his boots
5. United 1 Bournemouth 3 2023. I don't think I have seen United play so poorly from minute one. We were totally outplayed to relegation rivals
6. United 1 Crawley 0 2014 OK we won, but to me a low point watching United was seeing our players heading to the corner flag on 82 minutes trying to count down the clcok at home to Crawley!! One of the few times I booed the players (I even avoided it on Saturday).
Utd v port vale when Adrain Heath was in charge., actually reminded me of Saturdays performance, or non performance.

I remember losing 0-2 at home to Yeovil (the mighty Yeovil fucking hell) and United not having a shot on target all game. That was a bad un. Crewe away and I think a 3-0 loss was beyond piss poor.

My worst 5

United 0 Newcastle 8

In the words of Roygbiv - "eight nil!!!".

United 0 Burton Albion 1

The Adkins game that had zero fight, zero intent, zero belief and zero attacks. Against Burton. The biggest none performance ever. It's like we were shadow boxing.

United 2 Shrewsbury 4

Ye god's.

United 1 Port Vale 3

Me and 250,000 others saw the nadir under Heath and that Kozluck cross into Row AB.

United 1 Bournemouth 3

Could and should have been about 7 against a team we beat this time last season. Depressing nonsense.

So already as many games from this season as the Adkins one. FFS.

Last edited:
Not got the memory to rank them properly. But here's some shockers off the top of my head

Lost 2-0 at St Andrews in 2002. Andy Smith came on at one point. I'm not sure we had a shot.
The frankly horrific 2-0 defeat at Oakwell, March 97. Barnsley coppers celebrating with pitch invading Barnsley fans while United make no attempt to even compete
6-0 at Man City. Tracey sent off. Horlock, Goater and Gareth Taylor scoring, I don't mind. Dickov and Mark Kennedy 🤮
The surrender at Villa Park in the penultimate game of 06/07. We didn't even try. Anyone wanting Warnock back should remember this day
1-3 v Notts County, August 1994. I was only 13 but I remember thinking "my God, the horror". There were only 15k there as well. Littlejohn scored for United (I think)
4-0 defeat at Wigan, September 2004. Nathan Ellington annihilated Jags

That was the game where the teams lined up, to shake hands, before kick off, and it looked like a team of men playing a team of 9 year olds. Probably the ultimate Pulis team, not a single player appeared to be under six feet tall.

80,000 say they were there.

I actually was there.
I was away at Uni. I had been coming back for games and I was working the bar in the old social club before and after games. Not a chance in hell I was coming back for Port Vale on a night!

0-3 home to Southend in 2016
(Score?) against Port Vale in Heaths last game

They’re shocking

Surely Walsall was the worst day in the clubs history
Possibly though I don't remember feeling like it was.Perhaps because we'd seen it coming all season so came as no surprise.
Nowt much has changed really😁.

We still love dem Blades though,mad fuckers that we are🙄🤪

8-0 this season was absolutely ridiculous. I stil can't believe we lost a home game 8 fucking nil

Sunderland 4-0 game was unbelievably embarrassing. Bruce looked at least 100 years old that day.

Stoke 3-0 is the only time I've left a game early up until this season where I've already left before 80 minutes on 2 occasions

With that mind I probably have to go Saturday too. I was staggered how bad we were

Last one I'd go Wolves play off final. Absolutely shit ourselves

Back
Top Bottom