Betting disasters

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Jehovah

Reaction score
I like to stick a fiver on the blades most games and usually do an accumulator at the weekend too. I dont spend much, maybe a tenner a week. Over the last 6 months I have had the most horrendous luck in the universe with last minute goals and penalties.
Yesterday, I went in with 3 mates. We all put a fiver in and had £20 on 3-1 at 10/1.
With 20 seconds to go, my mate says "could this be end of your curse?" just as I looked up to see them scoring their second. Unreal.
I then went home and tried to redeem myself by betting on Bristol and Boro to finish goaless.
Boro winner in 90th minute. I am going to pack it in for a month. What betting disasters or equally memorable wins have you had?

£100 on the Blades to get relegated @ 20-1 prem season when we were 10 points clear ........ money in the bank! :eek:

I once had a tenner on a Blades win, we were 1-0 up with 15 minutes to go and then conceded a goal. I quickly went online to put about £20 on a draw to recoup some of the losses. Naturally, we conceded another goal - losing the game 2-1 and losing me £30.

I had a tenner on
Man city
weeds
spurs
Arsenal
mansfield
southport
and west spam

Would have won £220 off that dirty west spam letting me down.

---------- Post added at 01:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:08 PM ----------

I once had a tenner on a Blades win, we were 1-0 up with 15 minutes to go and then conceded a goal. I quickly went online to put about £20 on a draw to recoup some of the losses. Naturally, we conceded another goal - losing the game 2-1 and losing me £30.

I never bet on the blades even in an accumulator i was tempted yesterday but i have been let down to many times.

i once had an accy on 20 results which all came in i was just waiting for barnsley west brom
barnsley were winning in the 90 th minute but ended up losing 2-1

i very rarely bet on football now after that ,would have won about 15 k if that result would have come in

I have learnt now to only ever bet against the Blades. If we win, I'm happy. If we lose, at least I'm given some beer money to drown my sorrows.

i once had an accy on 20 results which all came in i was just waiting for barnsley west brom
barnsley were winning in the 90 th minute but ended up losing 2-1

i very rarely bet on football now after that ,would have won about 15 k if that result would have come in

Yes! Eat my shit!

Like the mug who just won £578,000 with William hill after a £1 stake?

I heard that it was all the bookie could do to get into his S-Class merc, drive to his five bedroom detached house in the best part of town and book another flight to his holiday home in the Bahamas to try and recover. Tragic...

I have learnt now to only ever bet against the Blades. If we win, I'm happy. If we lose, at least I'm given some beer money to drown my sorrows.

Unless we draw ;)

I never bet on us, never works out well, but I won £1000 on Tuesday. Put £4 on 7 team accumulator: Cardiff, Man City, Wet Spam, Reading, Burnley, Millwall and Leeds. Reading scored two late on to make it 3-1! First accy win and one to remember!

Like the mug who just won £578,000 with William hill after a £1 stake?

There's an awful lot of mugs for everyone who makes a mint on a small stakes accumulator. Do the bookies hush up these wins, or do they publicise them? Ask yourself why.

There's an awful lot of mugs for everyone who makes a mint on a small stakes accumulator. Do the bookies hush up these wins, or do they publicise them? Ask yourself why.

There obviously have to be far more mugs than winners, otherwise bookies would go out of business.

More a gamble than a bet but I got married..............................

then Divorced............ so a disaster...cost me loads - lost me house, regular access to me son, me dog, me money!

It would of been cheaper to put £20 on Utd to win 8-0 every week for 50 years

But then better to of loved and lost than spend all me life with her :)

More a gamble than a bet but I got married..............................

then Divorced............ so a disaster...cost me loads - lost me house, regular access to me son, me dog, me money!

It would of been cheaper to put £20 on Utd to win 8-0 every week for 50 years

But then better to of loved and lost than spend all me life with her :)

When I was about 18 I had a friend who used to say it was better to have loved and lost than to spend your life wanking :)

Gambling = A Tax on the Stupid.

Bet you've never heard that before ;)

When I was about 18 I had a friend who used to say it was better to have loved and lost than to spend your life wanking :)

You should have told him that you're not allowed to change tense mid-sentence.

"It is better to have loved and lost than to have spent your life wanking."

There. That feels better doesn't it? :)

You should have told him that you're not allowed to change tense mid-sentence.

"It is better to have loved and lost than to have spent your life wanking."

There. That feels better doesn't it? :)

We have had this conversation before. What with you being a posh git, you don't understand the syntax of working class Sheffield dialect :)

I used to bet 3.1 to blades every game till we played Villa in the cup. Thought no I will go for 2.1 instead but we won 3.1

A question for those who know about gambling.

This season its pretty clear that United will win and draw more games they will lose. Could I put, say, £5 on each United game that they won't lose and if, so how much money would I be likely to make over the 46 game season for my £300 stake if, lets say, United lost 10 games (which is what they look like doing at the moment).

hmm roughly youl spend £230 with a £5 bet on 46 games, if you win36 of those youl get 207 back so you'd probably lose about £23 over the season, going on odds of 1.15 for a no lose bet

This season its pretty clear that United will win and draw more games they will lose. Could I put, say, £5 on each United game that they won't lose and if, so how much money would I be likely to make over the 46 game season for my £300 stake if, lets say, United lost 10 games (which is what they look like doing at the moment).

What I know about gambling could be written on the back of a postage stamp, however, for what it's worth Darren, my advice would be to spend the fiver on beer (real ale for Olle's sake) and continue to masturbate to your hearts content.

hmm roughly youl spend £230 with a £5 bet on 46 games, if you win36 of those youl get 207 back so you'd probably lose about £23 over the season, going on odds of 1.15 for a no lose bet

Thanks. I won't bother now!

Bookies are pretty good at pricing their risk (unlike bankers) and although there are always one-offs which work against them, or lucky guesses in accumulators they will always, in the long run, beat any system that anyone cares to devise. That's what they do - they are professionals :)

News stories like the £500k won on a £1 accumulator, or Frankie Dettori going through the card are great news for the bookies as well. It's my understanding that the bookies made up their losses on Frankie Dettori very quickly because for some time afterwards all the amateur money was going on Frankie, whatever future catfood nag he was riding.

Betting against the Blades sounds good sense (beer money as consolation if we lose) but in fact it doesn't work out like that. You feel guilty collecting your winings. I also took the long odds in the Premiership when we were 10 points clear of the relegation zone, and won something like 1300 quid as a result but felt absolutely awful collecting on the bet. It felt as though I'd somehow been responsible for our relegation by not having faith in the Blades. I doubt if I would do it again.

Thanks. I won't bother now!

What you could try and do is use your expertise on Blades goalscorers to see if any of our players are overpriced.
I always used to bet on Whitehouse to score first at about 10-1 and he obliged at least a couple of times.
Lee Morris was also usually around 12-1 because the bookies treated him as a winger, even when he was playing up front.
I would guess that Lowton offers the best value of the current squad (3 goals from defence).
But how often does he score the first goal or the last goal? I've no idea but I bet you do ;-)

What you could try and do is use your expertise on Blades goalscorers to see if any of our players are overpriced.
I always used to bet on Whitehouse to score first at about 10-1 and he obliged at least a couple of times.
Lee Morris was also usually around 12-1 because the bookies treated him as a winger, even when he was playing up front.
I would guess that Lowton offers the best value of the current squad (3 goals from defence).
But how often does he score the first goal or the last goal? I've no idea but I bet you do ;-)

I rarely bet on anything, but a few years ago I had a beer-fuelled tenner on Devlin to score first because he was priced at (I think) 10-1 but was also our regular penalty taker. And so it came to pass :)

Sheffield United 2 (Devlin pen (13), Primus og (81)) Portsmouth 0

Darren'll tell you the date and time :)

Lowton's usually around 18/1. So far, I think he's gone 40+ competitive games without scoring the first goal.

Probably the best tip would be to have your bet in a shop, say a William Hill one for example (you'll find a full range of SUFC prices in their local outlets) before a game, rather than in the ground where they serve up shocking prices to a captive audience - bit like the catering really!

Back
Top Bottom