Best 10 Game Memories

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

What a great thread to read whilst we all wait for news of the new manager.... I can't whittle my choice down to ten.... but I'll offer one good (really good).... and one bad (really bad).

Good - my first ever Blades match with my dad and grandad. Blades v West Ham (April 1976??) 3-2 and THAT goal from TC... "a quality goal from a quality player". Think Woody got one (cant recall who got our other) but hooked for life.

Lifelong support involves a few darker moments as well though including.....

Cliff Calvert own goal at home against Luton Town (1977?). We won 4-1 I think..... but the BL pitch was a total mud heap. I recall Stainrod going around the keeper and attempting to roll the ball into the empty net... only for it to stick in the mud! Which explains good old Cliff's aberration. ... running back towards his own net with a Luton forward breathing down his neck he decides to pass back to our goalie (Conroy or Brown?)... from around 30yds out - but realising the pitch was crap he decided to pit his foot under it and suceeded in planting it straight into yhe top corner. Tit.

One last one.... anybody recall the time Alan Young scored an overhead kick from the edge of the box (agsinst Oxford I think) in the early 1980s. Probably the only thing he ever did for us other than keep the medical staff busy. For those too young to remember Alan Young.... think James Wallace... but minus his resilience...;)

Memories.... memories

UTB!

Young's goal was indeed against Oxford on 19th March 1983 in a 3-2 win. We were 1-0 and 2-1 down, with Kenworthy and Edwards equalising, before Young got the winner with that overhead kick. That was our 5th win the bounce and got hopes up of a late surge for promotion. We lost the next 2 and ended up 11th.

I'd love to write a list but in my time of being a blade I haven't witnessed much worth mentioning!

Only thing I've got to say is thanks for the memories everyone.

Back
Top Bottom