Best 10 Game Memories

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Too many to post but the league double over the unclean 2-0 and 3-1 at Swillsborough was a big highlight and my 1st ever game at BDTBL a 2-0 win against Stoke in 74-75 with Shilton in goal for them.

The goal was scored in the Lane end surely?

I wouldn't change ends to watch us kicking into the Lane edn second half.

Bit of a puzzle this

Anyway, according to you we only scored 5 :D

GOAL - v Ipswich (h) 27.11.71. United took the lead following a brilliant ball by Hemsley and some good running and unselfish work by Dearden. Woodward cut in and though his shot lacked his normal power it was incredibly accurate and tucked just inside the left hand post to beat Sivell's belated dive.
GOAL - v Ipswich (h) 27.11.71. Salmons was brought down at full speed by Hunter and Mr Gow gave the Blades a penalty. Woodward sent Sivell the wrong way with the spot kick.
ASSIST - v Ipswich (h) 27.11.71. Reece made it 3-0 with a brilliant header from a Woodward corner.
GOAL - v Ipswich (h) 27.11.71. Woodward completed his hat-trick in the 57th minute with a glorious left foot, first time volley, in meeting a ball by Hockey.
GOAL - v Ipswich (h) 27.11.71. In the 80th minute United made it seven with Woodward slamming home his fourth goal of the afternoon after Sivell could not hold a fierce Salmons drive.
Woody wasnt involved in the 4th or 5th goal. Badger's goal was at the Kop End

1st ever game at BDTBL a 2-0 win against Stoke in 74-75 with Shilton in goal for them.

Before the game the newspapers billed the match as the "TC v Alan Hudson show". It was TC who ran the show with a 10/10 performance (only one of the four 10/10 performance I have seen from a Blades player). In the 1st half Bill Dearden broke through, Peter Shilton ran out of goal, Dearden pushed the ball past Shilton and tried to run on the other side to get a 2nd touch but Shilton body checked Dearden (Harald Schumacher-style) for a definite penalty. The crowd loudly booed at Shilton while Dearden had a lengthy treatment from Cec Coldwell (our bucket ans sponge man). Geoff Salmons (who had moved to Stoke from us in the previous summer), thinking that Woodward was going to take the penalty, ran to Shilton advising him to dive to his left for the penalty. To Salmons's surprise, Keith Eddy stepped up to take the penalty and sent Shilton the wrong way to put the ball to Shilton's right. Tony Field put us 2-0 up in the 2nd half. In the latter stages TC did his showman stuff on the left wing waving both his arms at the crowd every time he dribbled past a Stoke player!

Not the one I'm thinking of then as the one I am thinking about was definitely into the Lane End as we were trekking over there hmmm
For the 5th goal, Dearden broke through and slotted the ball past Sivell who came out of his goal. For the 6th goal, Woody's volley was from just outside the left of the penalty box (best goal of the match). The 7th goal was a tap in

Yes, see the description of Woody's goals against Ipswich here (post #8). Badger's goal was just before half time which would explain why you were changing ends

http://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?threads/alan-woodwards-goals-and-assists.40133/

Badger's goal was definitely at the Kop end. 100% certain. I remember him dropping to his knees in ecstatic celebration of it.

Is that description of Woodward's third goal in that game yours or the Star's, Silent? I don't remember it as a volley. In my mind's eye - and viewed from the middle of the Kop - he is in a central position, moving right to left, parallel with the Ipswich penalty area about 25 yards out and the ball is played through to him on the deck. He hits it first time, left-footed, and connects with it sweet as a nut, putting it in the top right-hand corner (Swivell's left). Brilliant goal but not a volley.

Thoughts?

Before the game the newspapers billed the match as the "TC v Alan Hudson show". It was TC who ran the show with a 10/10 performance (only one of the four 10/10 performance I have seen from a Blades player). In the 1st half Bill Dearden broke through, Peter Shilton ran out of goal, Dearden pushed the ball past Shilton and tried to run on the other side to get a 2nd touch but Shilton body checked Dearden (Harald Schumacher-style) for a definite penalty. The crowd loudly booed at Shilton while Dearden had a lengthy treatment from Cec Coldwell (our bucket ans sponge man). Geoff Salmons (who had moved to Stoke from us in the previous summer), thinking that Woodward was going to take the penalty, ran to Shilton advising him to dive to his left for the penalty. To Salmons's surprise, Keith Eddy stepped up to take the penalty and sent Shilton the wrong way to put the ball to Shilton's right. Tony Field put us 2-0 up in the 2nd half. In the latter stages TC did his showman stuff on the left wing waving both his arms at the crowd every time he dribbled past a Stoke player!
Those were the days :)

For the 5th goal, Dearden broke through and slotted the ball past Sivell who came out of his goal. For the 6th goal, Woody's volley was from just outside the left of the penalty box (best goal of the match). The 7th goal was a tap in

Well I did say it appeared to be from the halfway line ;) so that's probably the one.

Cheers Silent Blade - he comes through again!

I can chill now :)

Badger's goal was definitely at the Kop end. 100% certain. I remember him dropping to his knees in ecstatic celebration of it.

Is that description of Woodward's third goal in that game yours or the Star's, Silent? I don't remember it as a volley. In my mind's eye - and viewed from the middle of the Kop - he is in a central position, moving right to left, parallel with the Ipswich penalty area about 25 yards out and the ball is played through to him on the deck. He hits it first time, left-footed, and connects with it sweet as a nut, putting it in the top right-hand corner (Swivell's left). Brilliant goal but not a volley.

Thoughts?
Woody allowed a pass from the middle (the Green Un report said it was from Hockey but for years I didnt remember who had passed to him) to bounce first before hitting the left footed volley. I saw the goal again on Saints and Greavsie's show in November 1991 which was previewing the Sheffield derby match and also the 7th goal, both were in black and white picture)

Another game I remember well is a 1-0 win at home to Wolves and Eddie Colquhoun scored from a free kick around the penalty spot area and all the Wolves team were on the goal line and the ball went thru them all,be around 1974-75 ish.

Deane from halfway against Liverpool (2-0 final score).

In the same match as Deane scoring the first ever premier league goal against Man U didn't he also score the first penalty?

Woody allowed a pass from the middle (the Green Un report said it was from Hockey but for years I didnt remember who had passed to him) to bounce first before hitting the left footed volley. I saw the goal again on Saints and Greavsie's show in November 1991 which was previewing the Sheffield derby match and also the 7th goal, both were in black and white picture)

I think it must be a case of giving different meanings to the word "volley" - for me, you can't put "bounce" and "volley" in the same sentence but there are varying interpretations.

I recall seeing the goals on TV the day after but not since. Has the footage perished?

Does anyone else remember the above game v Wolves?

Eddie scored the only goal in a 1-0 win over Wolves at the Lane on March 8, 1975, Brownie. I must have been there but I can't for the life of me remember the goal. A Colquhoun free kick you'd have thought would be memorable but there's loads of stuff I struggle to recall nowadays.

Great stuff. That's Paul Wood on the Brighton right, isn't it? If memory serves, Bassett signed him not long afterwards, didn't he? He was a good lad and, of course, he scored the first that memorable day at Leicester in May, 1990.

Yep, you're right on both counts. He stood out for Brighton that day. A similar signing was Neville who shone for Exeter at BDTBL and we signed him (I think) the following week.

Yep, you're right on both counts. He stood out for Brighton that day. A similar signing was Neville who shone for Exeter at BDTBL and we signed him (I think) the following week.

Wasn't Colin Morris signed in similar circumstances? Shone against us for Blackpool and signed not long after.

Another game I remember well is a 1-0 win at home to Wolves and Eddie Colquhoun scored from a free kick around the penalty spot area and all the Wolves team were on the goal line and the ball went thru them all,be around 1974-75 ish.
In the 1st half we were awarded a free kick inside the penalty box at the Lane End. all the Wolves players formed a wall on the goal line. The FK was rolled to Woody whose shot was blocked by the wall and the ball fell into Eddie's feet, he side-stepped a Wolves player before blasting the ball high into the net. I think there is a photo of the goal in Keith Farnsworth's Football in Sheffield part 2

I think it must be a case of giving different meanings to the word "volley" - for me, you can't put "bounce" and "volley" in the same sentence but there are varying interpretations.

I recall seeing the goals on TV the day after but not since. Has the footage perished?
YTV didnt include any of the goals against Ipswich in their 100 goals video produced in 1993 because they said the picture was of poor quality despite that I saw Woody's 3rd and 4th goal of that match on Saints and Greavsies show in 1991

same as the ones here but Cammacks screamer in the 'happy easter' firework fog against dirty Leeds in about 1974 always sticks in the memory
I went to that game with my girlfriend who hadn't told her parents where she was going.

After the game we had to catch a train back to Leeds but we got back to the station only to find that south yorkshires finest had closed it.

We were forced to catch a Leeds supporters special (remember them?) back to Leeds. My girlfriend had my red and white scarf stuffed in her handbag and prayed all the way back that she didn't see anyone she knew from school as they all knew that she was going out with a Blade.

As a result of being made to miss the service train we got back to Leeds after my girlfriends last bus home had left and she had to phone her dad to pick her up and take her home.

He was great about it. Gave me a lift home to the opposite side of Leeds and chatted about the game all the way.

No surprises that it took her mother a long time to warm to me though ;)

What a great thread to read whilst we all wait for news of the new manager.... I can't whittle my choice down to ten.... but I'll offer one good (really good).... and one bad (really bad).

Good - my first ever Blades match with my dad and grandad. Blades v West Ham (April 1976??) 3-2 and THAT goal from TC... "a quality goal from a quality player". Think Woody got one (cant recall who got our other) but hooked for life.

Lifelong support involves a few darker moments as well though including.....

Cliff Calvert own goal at home against Luton Town (1977?). We won 4-1 I think..... but the BL pitch was a total mud heap. I recall Stainrod going around the keeper and attempting to roll the ball into the empty net... only for it to stick in the mud! Which explains good old Cliff's aberration. ... running back towards his own net with a Luton forward breathing down his neck he decides to pass back to our goalie (Conroy or Brown?)... from around 30yds out - but realising the pitch was crap he decided to pit his foot under it and suceeded in planting it straight into yhe top corner. Tit.

One last one.... anybody recall the time Alan Young scored an overhead kick from the edge of the box (agsinst Oxford I think) in the early 1980s. Probably the only thing he ever did for us other than keep the medical staff busy. For those too young to remember Alan Young.... think James Wallace... but minus his resilience...;)

Memories.... memories

UTB!

What a great thread to read whilst we all wait for news of the new manager.... I can't whittle my choice down to ten.... but I'll offer one good (really good).... and one bad (really bad).

Good - my first ever Blades match with my dad and grandad. Blades v West Ham (April 1976??) 3-2 and THAT goal from TC... "a quality goal from a quality player". Think Woody got one (cant recall who got our other) but hooked for life.

Lifelong support involves a few darker moments as well though including.....

Cliff Calvert own goal at home against Luton Town (1977?). We won 4-1 I think..... but the BL pitch was a total mud heap. I recall Stainrod going around the keeper and attempting to roll the ball into the empty net... only for it to stick in the mud! Which explains good old Cliff's aberration. ... running back towards his own net with a Luton forward breathing down his neck he decides to pass back to our goalie (Conroy or Brown?)... from around 30yds out - but realising the pitch was crap he decided to pit his foot under it and suceeded in planting it straight into yhe top corner. Tit.

One last one.... anybody recall the time Alan Young scored an overhead kick from the edge of the box (agsinst Oxford I think) in the early 1980s. Probably the only thing he ever did for us other than keep the medical staff busy. For those too young to remember Alan Young.... think James Wallace... but minus his resilience...;)

Memories.... memories

UTB!

Quality goal, quality player was in March 1975.

We also beat West Ham 3-2 in April 1976, we were already relegated then. The scorers were Guthrie, Woodward and Stainrod

Calvert's own goal in the 4-1 win over Luton was in March 1978. Brown was our keeper. Calvert tried to boot the ball over the bar for a corner but it dipped under the crossbar.

I was playing football regularly in 1982-83 so I do not remember much about Alan Young apart from his hat trick in the FA Cup against Boston (Kevin Blackwell in goal for Boston). Darren will know

Cheers Silent. Your memory is far sharper than mine! How typical that the only time I remember better than you is the era of Alan (legs of porcelain) Young!!!

Back
Top Bottom