Best “third-party” results

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

God, that Wigan kit was horrendous that year!

All the talk of the Burnley v Hull game (no.1 in my opinion) but no mention of the game that set that up. Port Vale 1-0 Hull City. 7th May 1984. We all came home from Bolton thinking it was over and that happened that evening

Was torture listening to Radio Sheffield live commentary of the Burnley v Hull City match. It seemed like a never ending game and i was just waiting for the final kick in the bollocks and Hull scoring again in injury time. Thankfully it never came despite RS trying to give everyone listening heart failure by screaming in excitement every time Hull got into Burnley's half. Bastards.
I think the feed was from Radio Humberside, so not much that RS could be blamed for

Best of all was Cardiff 0 Watford 1 on 17th April 1971

The goal scorer Charlie Woods.

brumwoods-jpg.110794

The goal at Ninian Park

brumwatford-png.110813

There was a lull in play when we were leading by 2-0 (Reece, Woodward) at home to Birmingham which I remember very well. There was some excitement amongst the crowd which made many fans look towards the scoreboard at the pavilion. It indicated that Watford (4th from bottom of the table and without a win in the previous 8 games) had just scored at 2nd placed Cardiff!! My dad noticed the score before I did and pointing it out to me saying "Watford have just scored at Cardiff!!" and the cheers around the ground grew louder and it seemed cause confusion to some of our players (luckily it happened during a lull in play when the trainer was treating an injured player). I looked toward the centre circle and Eddie Colquhoun was looking bemused at what was happening, Bob Latchford was next to him and seemed to know what had happened so he pointed Eddie to the scoreboard. Eddie's response was that he didnt want to lose his focus on the pitch.
brumscoreboard-jpg.110805

And then soon after, Gil Reece made it 3-0 with a flying header

brumreece2-jpg.110823

The table after the match

1618611166675-png.110831
Remember it like it was yesterday - the photo of Gil's flying header was as good as the header itself - you don't see many as good as that

All the talk of the Burnley v Hull game (no.1 in my opinion) but no mention of the game that set that up. Port Vale 1-0 Hull City. 7th May 1984. We all came home from Bolton thinking it was over and that happened that evening
Yes, that has to be the most tense non United game I have known

View attachment 157343

Given the relative position of the two teams at the time, if the pigs had won this one then I don't think we'd have caught up with them for a long time.

The following season, we had our 100pts promotion from League 1 and the rest is history.
you know how bad adkins reign was. that was my favourite moment of that season

Back
Top Bottom