Best “third-party” results

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Jimmy23

Reaction score
To clarify: we’ve had many memorable games in the past that we’ve been involved in..but for this thread, I want the best and most memorable football games that United were NOT involved in - but effected us massively. I can think of three off the top of my head.

My top 3

3) Birmingham City 1-2 Preston 2008/09

“Birmingham missed the chance to secure promotion to the Premier League as Preston hit back for a dramatic win which kept their play-off hopes alive.

A stunning last-minute free-kick from Ross Wallace - who was then sent off for his celebration - sealed victory.
Keith Fahey's header put Birmingham ahead before Lee Williamson and Lee Bowyer were both sent off for grappling inside the centre circle.

Captain Paul McKenna's rocket shot levelled matters before the late drama.”

ACD79D8D-688A-43AB-A167-32AAC9F56689.jpeg
Source: BBC

Birmingham had to win to guarantee promotion. Instead, North End had other ideas and turned the game around to win and make sure the battle for second went to the last day. The week later we needed a win at Palace, and the Blues to drop points - didn’t happen, but still a great result at the time.

2) Leeds United 1-2 Wigan Athletic (2018/19)

“Wigan were a man light after just 14 minutes when Cedric Kipre was sent off for handling on the line and although Pablo Hernandez's penalty hit the post, Patrick Bamford put United ahead shortly after.

However, Massey scored either side of half-time to stun the hosts and move the lowly Latics five points clear of the relegation zone.

Leeds drop to third, level on points with second-placed Sheffield United but with a goal difference inferior to the Blades by six with three games remaining.”

7DB16DD8-EFD4-4E54-BF8A-1BB20D3FB086.jpeg

Arguably the best Good Friday the Blades have ever had! We beat forest in the early kick off, and Wigan upset a few coupons to beat Leeds and to put second in our hands with 3 left. We did get the job done a couple of weeks later to Ipswich. And not to forget Leon Clarke scoring the winner in that game 😍

1) Oldham Athletic 1-0 Bolton Wanderers (2016/17)

“Sheffield United were crowned League One champions as 10-man Oldham beat second-placed Bolton thanks to Lee Erwin's second-half goal.

Wanderers' own promotion bid is faltering after back-to-back losses, though they still hold a four-point lead over third-placed Fleetwood.”

84D99C3A-23FA-4AC6-BC3B-7FA573C3DE7A.jpeg

Might be a surprise to a few, but this result confirmed us at League One Champions and the first time I’ve ever seen us lift a title. Having already confirmed promotion a short while back, Oldham handed us the title against their Greater Manc rivals.

Any that I’ve missed?

UTB

Brentford beating Leeds 2-0 in April 2019. I was actually there for that as couldn't get a ticket for Hull away that took place on the same day. I know from this forum afterwards that there were several other Blades there!

Sang with their fans 'Leeds are falling apart... again... '

Great day.

Best of all was Cardiff 0 Watford 1 on 17th April 1971

The goal scorer Charlie Woods.

brumwoods-jpg.110794

The goal at Ninian Park

brumwatford-png.110813

There was a lull in play when we were leading by 2-0 (Reece, Woodward) at home to Birmingham which I remember very well. There was some excitement amongst the crowd which made many fans look towards the scoreboard at the pavilion. It indicated that Watford (4th from bottom of the table and without a win in the previous 8 games) had just scored at 2nd placed Cardiff!! My dad noticed the score before I did and pointing it out to me saying "Watford have just scored at Cardiff!!" and the cheers around the ground grew louder and it seemed cause confusion to some of our players (luckily it happened during a lull in play when the trainer was treating an injured player). I looked toward the centre circle and Eddie Colquhoun was looking bemused at what was happening, Bob Latchford was next to him and seemed to know what had happened so he pointed Eddie to the scoreboard. Eddie's response was that he didnt want to lose his focus on the pitch.
brumscoreboard-jpg.110805

And then soon after, Gil Reece made it 3-0 with a flying header

brumreece2-jpg.110823

The table after the match

1618611166675-png.110831

Brentford beating Leeds 2-0 in April 2019. I was actually there for that as couldn't get a ticket for Hull away that took place on the same day. I know from this forum afterwards that there were several other Blades there!

Sang with their fans 'Leeds are falling apart... again... '

Great day.

That was a big one and I expected Leeds to get something at Brentford but the game against Wigan was what really turned the tide.

Reading v Leeds 2006

Remember that one but I think it was a bit of a nailed on result pre-match. Reading were crushing it that season (much like Burnley are) and finished with 106 points, they only lost 2 matches all season.

1680709332250.png

Given the relative position of the two teams at the time, if the pigs had won this one then I don't think we'd have caught up with them for a long time.

The following season, we had our 100pts promotion from League 1 and the rest is history.

I went to that game
So did I. 4 of us in my mates clapped out morris marina. Was really weird cos we were fighting with Burnley fans on their Kop end to start with, but were then joining in with the support of their team. I think Hull went 2 up in the first half, and that made the 2nd half the longest 45 minutes I’ve ever experienced.

So did I. 4 of us in my mates clapped out morris marina. Was really weird cos we were fighting with Burnley fans on their Kop end to start with, but were then joining in with the support of their team. I think Hull went 2 up in the first half, and that made the 2nd half the longest 45 minutes I’ve ever experienced.
Was fighting the minute I got into the ground, all our coach was.. tbf it was expected seeing as we were not playing but what a great night, and yes very very long because of the nerves, folk glued to the wireless 😂

Great memories

Tuesday 15th May 1984 Burnley 0 Hull City 2. We had completed our fixtures the previous Saturday and Hull needed to win by three clear goals to overtake us. They went 2-0 up quite quickly but Burnley held on and we went up in 3rd place.
Oh fuck - I still get nervous thinking about that. Spent hours walking the streets to guarantee radio silence, because my guts just couldn't handle it.

Edit - I've just made myself nervous! Fuck me :D

View attachment 157343

Given the relative position of the two teams at the time, if the pigs had won this one then I don't think we'd have caught up with them for a long time.

The following season, we had our 100pts promotion from League 1 and the rest is history.
Hadnt realised Snodgrass Snodgrass whats the score set that one up. Funny!

Hull went one nil up after about 2 mins and two nil half way through the second half. Brian Marwood got both goals.

Second half had live radio commentary from Radio Humberside on Radio Sheffield. I'll.always remember Billy Hamilton missing an easy chance for Burnley a couple of minutes from time and me screaming blue murder at him for not putting me put of misery!

Was torture listening to Radio Sheffield live commentary of the Burnley v Hull City match. It seemed like a never ending game and i was just waiting for the final kick in the bollocks and Hull scoring again in injury time. Thankfully it never came despite RS trying to give everyone listening heart failure by screaming in excitement every time Hull got into Burnley's half. Bastards.

To clarify: we’ve had many memorable games in the past that we’ve been involved in..but for this thread, I want the best and most memorable football games that United were NOT involved in - but effected us massively. I can think of three off the top of my head.

My top 3

3) Birmingham City 1-2 Preston 2008/09

“Birmingham missed the chance to secure promotion to the Premier League as Preston hit back for a dramatic win which kept their play-off hopes alive.

A stunning last-minute free-kick from Ross Wallace - who was then sent off for his celebration - sealed victory.
Keith Fahey's header put Birmingham ahead before Lee Williamson and Lee Bowyer were both sent off for grappling inside the centre circle.

Captain Paul McKenna's rocket shot levelled matters before the late drama.”

View attachment 157338

Birmingham had to win to guarantee promotion. Instead, North End had other ideas and turned the game around to win and make sure the battle for second went to the last day. The week later we needed a win at Palace, and the Blues to drop points - didn’t happen, but still a great result at the time.

2) Leeds United 1-2 Wigan Athletic (2018/19)

“Wigan were a man light after just 14 minutes when Cedric Kipre was sent off for handling on the line and although Pablo Hernandez's penalty hit the post, Patrick Bamford put United ahead shortly after.

However, Massey scored either side of half-time to stun the hosts and move the lowly Latics five points clear of the relegation zone.

Leeds drop to third, level on points with second-placed Sheffield United but with a goal difference inferior to the Blades by six with three games remaining.”

View attachment 157339

Arguably the best Good Friday the Blades have ever had! We beat forest in the early kick off, and Wigan upset a few coupons to beat Leeds and to put second in our hands with 3 left. We did get the job done a couple of weeks later to Ipswich. And not to forget Leon Clarke scoring the winner in that game 😍

1) Oldham Athletic 1-0 Bolton Wanderers (2016/17)

“Sheffield United were crowned League One champions as 10-man Oldham beat second-placed Bolton thanks to Lee Erwin's second-half goal.

Wanderers' own promotion bid is faltering after back-to-back losses, though they still hold a four-point lead over third-placed Fleetwood.”

View attachment 157341

Might be a surprise to a few, but this result confirmed us at League One Champions and the first time I’ve ever seen us lift a title. Having already confirmed promotion a short while back, Oldham handed us the title against their Greater Manc rivals.

Any that I’ve missed?

UTB

Hopefully tomorrow you can add...

Millwall 3-0 Luton
Boro 1-4 Burnley

5th May 1982. Hereford 2-1 Peterborough. This result meant we were promoted out of division 4. Finally, a ray of sunshine after 3 relegations (and the Boxing Day debacle) in the 6 previous seasons.

Oh fuck - I still get nervous thinking about that. Spent hours walking the streets to guarantee radio silence, because my guts just couldn't handle it.

Edit - I've just made myself nervous! Fuck me :D

I was very lucky to be on holiday in Tunisia when this match was played. No radio or TV coverage. No internet or mobile phones. So all I could do was get drunk and forget about it.
The following morning I went to a nearby magazine/newspaper stall. Never been so pleased to find a copy of the Daily Telegraph, but still dreaded opening it.
For the rest of the holiday I worried that it might have been a misprinted scoreline!

Back
Top Bottom