Berge - Souza

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

We also lost Billy and Doyle.

Hamer and Souza certainly look more like what we needed in that central midfield as they provide much more protection for McAtee / Norwood than Berge did. Doyle was a loss in that respect but i think we were not going to be able to sign him permanently and couldn't loan two from City so it meant we had to look elsewhere

Actually thought that Souza was quieter, but fairly solid on Sat, i liken Hamer to a Berge replacement and i feel he gives us more defensively than Berge, but Berge, on the Hamer evidence so far, seemed better at not giving the ball away.

Ndiaye is still a loss but i really like the look of Archer.
Shame we couldn’t get Doyle back, but agree with you on one or the other from City

Ndaiye is borderline irreplaceable - who can you liken to him?
Saka, Eze, MGW?

Archer is more a forward than a no10, but with service from Macca and Hamer I can see him getting 12-15 goals in a side nearer the bottom than top

I know all those recruits wouldn’t have come in had Ndaiye stayed

but how would a Souza, Hamer, McAfee, Ndaiye and Archer set up feel🙏

Shame we couldn’t get Doyle back, but agree with you on one or the other from City

Ndaiye is borderline irreplaceable - who can you liken to him?
Saka, Eze, MGW?

Archer is more a forward than a no10, but with service from Macca and Hamer I can see him getting 12-15 goals in a side nearer the bottom than top

I know all those recruits wouldn’t have come in had Ndaiye stayed

but how would a Souza, Hamer, McAfee, Ndaiye and Archer set up feel🙏
Yeah i think Doyle back and keeping Ndiaye as well as bringing in another big experienced centre forward for when McBurnie is injured or suspended would've really boosted our squad, but financially we're not yet in that arena

Ndiaye is a hard one as you say, he's a game changer

Harsh handball var there but Berge in the final third is something we haven't replaced whatsoever. If he could do that more he wouldn't be moving between us and Burnley

I am not sure either of them can make defenders bounce off them with ease while striding forward
Yeah, Berge was unique in that sense. He has the big body, but also the technical ability. It's rare. Too bad he seems to be lacking that killer instinct.

We also lost Enda, but of those 3 the only one who is a real loss for a PL squad is Doyle.
I think looking at our subs and options so far this season all of them would have done a job already at some point this season

I think looking at our subs and options so far this season all of them would have done a job already at some point this season
If we had kept Enda there’s no way we’d have signed Thomas, so that side of the pitch would be weaker than it already is.

Billy has been exceptional in the Championship but has never been good enough to be a PL regular.

If we had kept Enda there’s no way we’d have signed Thomas, so that side of the pitch would be weaker than it already is.

Billy has been exceptional in the Championship but has never been good enough to be a PL regular.
No way? We only signed him when it became clear larouci was crap and everyone else was injured. I think most will agree Thomas should have been ahead of larouci with regards to incoming granted it isn't always that easy but both are loans.

Saturday both strikers were knackered but Benie wasn't trusted. Billy would have been to do a job

I am not sure either of them can make defenders bounce off them with ease while striding forward

There is no guarantee that Berge will do that in this league either. PL players are much stronger and have the pace to track back.

He got beyond the Forest back line a few times tonight, but he'll be up against much better players most weeks.

Saturday both strikers were knackered but Benie wasn't trusted. Billy would have been to do a job
Bill would have come in handy on Saturday - stick his arse out a bit, hold the ball up and provide a bit of on field leadership, experience and nous to steady the ship through he loooong period of stoppage time.

Harsh handball var there but Berge in the final third is something we haven't replaced whatsoever. If he could do that more he wouldn't be moving between us and Burnley
It's why VAR was introduced, I think. To introduce a random element to the game, where good goals can be disallowed and bad goals and dodgy penalties can be given, pretty much at random.

In the championship, they wouldn't even have had a camera with good enough slow-mo to spot the ball brushing his sleeve.

There is no guarantee that Berge will do that in this league either. PL players are much stronger and have the pace to track back.

He got beyond the Forest back line a few times tonight, but he'll be up against much better players most weeks.

You can’t say there’s no guarantee he won’t do it when he’s literally just done it

Forest are a decent prem outfit and I reckon they’ll be mid table

Souza and Hamer are great signings but that doesn’t mean Berge is now a bad player he’d still be starting and be one of our better players

You can’t say there’s no guarantee he won’t do it when he’s literally just done it

Forest are a decent prem outfit and I reckon they’ll be mid table

Souza and Hamer are great signings but that doesn’t mean Berge is now a bad player he’d still be starting and be one of our better players

What I should have said is that there is no guarantee he will do it consistently. He never did it consistently in the league below to be fair, but when he does he can be unplayable. Well see.

And I certainly never said he was a bad player. If I had a choice, I would have preferred to keep him on top of our other signings, as he is another great option in attack.

What I should have said is that there is no guarantee he will do it consistently. He never did it consistently in the league below to be fair, but when he does he can be unplayable. Well see.

And I certainly never said he was a bad player. If I had a choice, I would have preferred to keep him on top of our other signings, as he is another great option in attack.

When Berge was fit he was our best midfielder most of the time you cant rewrite history just cause hes been sold and snaked us out

I would take hamer and souza over one Berge with a year left all day its a shame we couldnt have a midfield three of that trio

When Berge was fit he was our best midfielder most of the time you cant rewrite history just cause hes been sold and snaked us out

I would take hamer and souza over one Berge with a year left all day its a shame we couldnt have a midfield three of that trio

Not trying to rewrite anything. It's an opinion.

Great on his day, but inconsistent. And I would say that McAtee was just as effective once he got up to speed.

It's you making up your own history- First half of last season - Norwood was the best midfielder, second half of season Doyle was- Berge is good in fits and starts- but overall for all the hype/ money he was average at best and very often totally AWOL.

Last edited:
It's you making up your own history- First half of last season - Norwood was the best midfielder, second half of season Doyle was- Berge is good in fits and starts- but overall for all the hype/ money he was average at best and very often totally AWOL.

Exactly you would get a top performance from Sander every 7 or 8 games. Like you have said it was Doyle or Norwood controlling the midfield last season.

It’s all about opinions

Go back and re read the multiple threads about him from last year

Not sure if I’m just missing what everyone else is seeing with Souza. Very early days but looks a little limited to me.

I think he is a limited shithouse with ball players around him

I’d like to see Hamer & Slimane either side of him

Macatee is not suited for a team who will have 30/40% of the ball every game 🤷

Not sure if I’m just missing what everyone else is seeing with Souza. Very early days but looks a little limited to me.
I actually like him a lot. Does the basics very well and protects the central areas. He needs fit players around him.

No way? We only signed him when it became clear larouci was crap and everyone else was injured. I think most will agree Thomas should have been ahead of larouci with regards to incoming granted it isn't always that easy but both are loans.

All due respect Billy wouldn't not. Mcburnie's biggest strength on Saturday was in the air and as we were so deep going long Billy would have been out of his depth neither would he have been able to play off Mcburnie's shoulder

Berge just didn't turn up often enough.

When he did, he was great but at Premier League level, in a team that would be doing a fair bit of defending, he'd be a passenger because defending just wasn't his gig. He's a bit of a luxury player that bottom end Premier League teams can't afford to have and he wouldn't get into a top end one's starting team.

Being a 6/7 out of 10 in the Championship can be good enough to get the job done against some of them but at this level, you've got to be 100% on it all the time and he's not that guy. He seemed to need a bit of cajoling and motivating to bring his A game out.

A nice gig at somewhere like Stuttgart or Wolfsburg would suit him down to the ground. Decent level, he can shine a bit more and keeps his international spot.

Berge benched tonight for Burnley

Hamer came in 48hours after Berge went

Even at early days one of the best pieces of business we’ve done recently

Now the windows shut, we can assess the dealings

As I see it we lost Ndaiye and Berge which was unavoidable once they refused to sign a new contract (don’t accept keep them, Kane is the example)

We bring in McAtee, Hamer, Archer, Souza, Davies, Traore, Thomas, Trusty, Larouchi, Slimane

For those bed wetting during the window, that’s a decent effort from the board👍
I think you are looking at that through rose tinted glasses.

McAtee replaces McAtee
Hamer replaces Berge
Archer replaces Ndayie
Souza replaces Doyle
Traore replaces Sharp
Trusty replaces Clarke
Larouchi replaces Stevens
Slimane replaces khadra (albeit 6 months late)
Thomas and Davies are extra depth although needed due to Fleck, Osborn, Lowe and RND

Overall we look a bit stronger than last season but we've had to spend a lot to replace 3 first team regulars and the replacements for squad players released are mainly gambles and "one for the future".

We look well placed to complete in the 24/25 Championship promotion race to me

Macatee is not suited for a team who will have 30/40% of the ball every game 🤷
Not quite in the same class as the "pants down" thread from last year, but I think he's a really talented lad who might well make that look daft.

Back
Top Bottom